PDA

View Full Version : calling all econ majors

maximus
11-13-2003, 06:57 PM
What economic stream did you major in? For those in the workforce what streams do you think would be more benefit?

Weapon_R
11-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately, econometrics is where it's at.

maximus
11-13-2003, 08:51 PM
Ya thats what I thought. What about the others? The prof I have for 315 make that stuff so hard because he explains it really bad. He teaches the higher level ones too so I don't know. But I do have room to do 2 streams. I was thinking maybe financial.

Anyone here taken econ of law?

Weapon_R
11-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by maximus

Anyone here taken econ of law?

I have. What about it are you interested in finding out?

kaput
11-13-2003, 11:24 PM

B17a
11-14-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

You're a sick puppy!

I didn't really major in any particular stream, if anything I focused on energy and financial economics.

Weapon_R
11-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by B17a

You're a sick puppy!

I didn't really major in any particular stream, if anything I focused on energy and financial economics.

lol

I've always heard complaints about econ315 from economics students, and similar complaints from management students regarding the required accounting course (300 level). Which is harder, for both who have taken them? I know they aren't the same thing, but comparing the two, which did you find more difficult?

syeve
11-14-2003, 04:34 PM
I focused on regulatory economics, ended up starting a trust company here in Calgary. I would focus on anything to do with banking.

B17a
11-14-2003, 04:48 PM

lol

I've always heard complaints about econ315 from economics students, and similar complaints from management students regarding the required accounting course (300 level). Which is harder, for both who have taken them? I know they aren't the same thing, but comparing the two, which did you find more difficult?

I took both acct 321 and 323 and econ 315 was a bigger bitch, that's for sure. There's little real world practicality, while understanding a balance sheet has real world use. You don't pick up a business newspaper and read about hypothesis testing!:D

maximus
11-14-2003, 04:50 PM
heres a link
http://econ.ucalgary.ca/programs/undergrad/ES/7-curriculumA.htm

Hey b17a, did you take the applied energy program that they have or did you just take some energy courses?

Weapon R, econ law sounds interesting but would you say its a waste of time unless you, say, become a lawyer? Thats what Bruce implies on his outline.

Basically I want to focus on the courses that will be of more benefit me when I finish next year.

B17a
11-14-2003, 04:55 PM
heres a link
http://econ.ucalgary.ca/programs/undergrad/ES/7-curriculumA.htm

Hey b17a, did you take the applied energy program that they have or did you just take some energy courses?

Weapon R, econ law sounds interesting but would you say its a waste of time unless you, say, become a lawyer? Thats what Bruce implies on his outline.

Basically I want to focus on the courses that will be of more benefit me when I finish next year.

No, I just took energy economics courses. However I can't remember which ones, both at the 300 and 400 level. After being in the real world, I now realise those were the most useful.

maximus
11-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by B17a

I took both acct 321 and 323 and econ 315 was a bigger bitch, that's for sure. There's little real world practicality, while understanding a balance sheet has real world use. You don't pick up a business newspaper and read about hypothesis testing!:D

Acct 321 was a piece of cake compared to econ 315. I don't know why acct 321 is hard for so many people. Its actually quite basic stuff.

Econ 315 has some real world use if you know how to use it. Our prof speed talks and gets soo excited when he's talking about. Unfortunately it dosn't help the people that have no background in the area.

Weapon_R
11-15-2003, 06:04 AM
Econ 345 (law) is really easy and basically worthless. The analysis is kinda stupid and it's a lot of common sense. Don't bother unless you need an econ option. Bruce is kinda cool though.

I focused mainly on international trade for my 400 level courses

maximus
11-17-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks! I think I'll stay away from 345 then.

davidI
11-17-2003, 11:50 PM

Acct 321 was a piece of cake compared to econ 315. I don't know why acct 321 is hard for so many people. Its actually quite basic stuff.

Econ 315 has some real world use if you know how to use it. Our prof speed talks and gets soo excited when he's talking about. Unfortunately it dosn't help the people that have no background in the area.

Is accounting 321 managerial accounting?

The required accounting course is 317 for management but the really hard course is apparently finance 317.

Ajay
11-18-2003, 02:15 AM
I have a friend in Finance 317 and he said it's brutal. Apparently the midterm is designed for you NOT to finish. The final is supposed to be the easiest part of that course...quizzes and midterm are crazy hard from what he said.

Accounting 321 is now 317....just changed the numbers around.

davidI
11-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Ajay
I have a friend in Finance 317 and he said it's brutal. Apparently the midterm is designed for you NOT to finish. The final is supposed to be the easiest part of that course...quizzes and midterm are crazy hard from what he said.

Accounting 321 is now 317....just changed the numbers around.

Cool, yea, Acct 317 isn't that bad compared to Fnce 317 but even then the class average on our accounting mid-term was 60%. I can't even imagine what kind of averages finance is putting out.

CLiVE
11-18-2003, 01:11 PM

He's right...econometrics/stats is where it's at, as much as we all hate it.

liquid1010
11-19-2003, 09:47 PM
how much math is involved in econ? I'm thinking of doing a second degree...... do you need Math 249?

Weapon_R
11-19-2003, 09:49 PM
^ Yes.

I think there is a considerable amount of math involved in econ. Calculus, algebra, the regular shit.

maximus
11-19-2003, 10:22 PM
I definitely find my strong math background an asset. Calculus a little, algebra here and there. There are ways to get around it but it definitely helps. I find that if you know how equations work with letters and stuff (if a increases this will happen etc.) a lot of stuff is easy.

Originally posted by syeve
I focused on regulatory economics, ended up starting a trust company here in Calgary. I would focus on anything to do with banking.

Need any economists? ;)

liquid1010
11-20-2003, 01:18 PM
is Math 249 neccesary?

CLiVE
11-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by liquid1010
is Math 249 neccesary?

Yes it is.

Definitely a lot of math and stats involved.
I would focus either on the finance/banking side (boring IMO) or the stats/modeling, and valuation side. Anyone who says you can't get a job with an econ degree is very wrong....