PDA

View Full Version : I want my chicken

lilmira
10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Woman+fights+right+raise+chickens/2072391/story.html

I didn't know that you can't keep chicken in the city. Now I want to join CLUCK. I need my eggs damn it.

spikerS
10-06-2009, 01:51 PM
when my wife and I had our first appartment together, there was a lady next door that had a chicken. kinda wierd the first time we saw it on her balcony, but it never caused any issues.

I have seen stranger pets....

3g4u
10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Give me a break, a dozen eggs at any Co-op is at tops $4! Maby this lady should stop having kids if you cant afford $4 for eggs once a week.

Wanna raise chickens? Move to a farm. Wanna raise chickens in an urban environment move to some third world country.

GQBalla
10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
in bc your aloud

sputnik
10-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I know of MANY dogs that are a far greater nuisance than a couple of chickens.

Many people garden and have pets. What difference does it make if they want to keep a couple of chickens instead of cats or dogs? For most it isn't the financial hardship they are fighting but rather the principle of the law at hand.

To be honest if I had a large yard and the desire, I wouldn't mind getting free eggs for the cost of a big bag of feed.

Super_Geo
10-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
in bc your aloud

... god damn it :facepalm:

BerserkerCatSplat
10-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Huh, I really don't see the problem with people having a few chickens in their yard. They're probably quieter than some people's dogs.

Canadian 2.5RS
10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

... god damn it :facepalm:

:rofl: That's exactly what I did when I read that.

cityhunter2501
10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
in bc your aloud

matt making a spelling mistake like that? :eek: :rofl:

I as well would fight a ticket like that, honestly I dont see any thing wrong with keeping a couple of hens if you have enough space and responsible enough to keep them clean.

R154
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

matt making a spelling mistake like that? :eek: :rofl:

I as well would fight a ticket like that, honestly I dont see any thing wrong with keeping a couple of hens if you have enough space and responsible enough to keep them clean.

You outt'd yourself being equally as stupid. Grammar in the same instance.

How did you both get jobs? I thought the prerequisite was speaking english, properly.

You're, Allowed - Mark them both down.

scat19
10-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by R154

Why did you capitalize the "a" in allowed?

97acura
10-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Why did you capitalize the "a" in allowed?

:rofl:

Pahnda
10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
in bc your aloud

Some people just aren't cut out for this newfangled communication idea :dunno:

cityhunter2501
10-06-2009, 02:47 PM

How did you both get jobs? I thought the prerequisite was speaking english, properly.

lol grammar police at large, I didn't know perfect grammar was a requirement to post here and that joking with a friend was frowned upon :rolleyes:

yes we both have jobs and you're right, being able to speak fluent english is a prerequisite for a job but am I working right now or replying to a thread?

GQBalla
10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
lol ALOUD
ALOUD

lol

so i made a mistake big face palm :angel:

GQBalla
10-06-2009, 02:53 PM

How did you both get jobs? I thought the prerequisite was speaking English, properly.

fixed for you kind sir!

97acura
10-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Back to the topic..................... I lived next to a woman in SW Calgary who had chickens as pets for a number of years. Other than the odd clucking, you would never know they were there. They didn't stink or anything.

If you are going to have chickens, at least offer your neighbours some eggs once in awhile :banghead: :)

Alterac
10-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Livestock are not allowed in the city.
Thats about it.

People who feed pigeons should be shot. Along with the damn flying rats.

We need an alberta free of pigeons policy.

Mar
10-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I've almost run over chickens a bunch of times back in Newfoundland on main roads. People have them everywhere.

TKRIS
10-06-2009, 03:42 PM
"If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years." - Bertrand Russell

Mind your business.

Supa Dexta
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Having grown chickens for many years and sold eggs to my neighbours going thru elementary. I know nowadays theres really no savings to producing your own eggs.. The cost of feed has gone up too much.. Add the chickens, the time and effort and you're better off to go spend 2$ at walmart.

syeve
10-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I really hate that one asshole person in her hood can complain and have this happen. Let the lady have her damn chickens, such a waste of time and money (tax payers)...ugh.

Eleanor
10-06-2009, 04:03 PM
If she gets her chickens, I want a monkey.

sputnik
10-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

If it is quiet, clean and not affecting your neighbours standard of life - who cares?

The fact is that most of the opposition surrounding this issue is pure misinformation or unreasonable expectations when compared to other pets that are currently permitted.

Most of the complaints about chickens could easily be applied to dogs or cats.

msommers
10-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I also have a feeling a lot of people bitching about having a chicken are actually thinking about a rooster:rofl:

01RedDX
10-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Xtrema
10-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Honestly, this lady should be able to do whatever she wants on her property as long as it doesn't affect anyone else - if you can't hear it, see it or smell it, who cares?

Bird flu?

sexualbanana
10-06-2009, 05:06 PM
lol ALOUD
ALOUD

lol

so i made a mistake big face palm :angel:

2 mistakes, actually. :D

Legless_Marine2
10-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Bird flu?

Requires a high density population to transmit. CLUCK is proposing responsible chickenkeeping with a cap on how many you can keep.

Legless_Marine2
10-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Having grown chickens for many years and sold eggs to my neighbours going thru elementary. I know nowadays theres really no savings to producing your own eggs..

It's not about saving money, it's about the quality of the food we buy vs the quality of the food we produce ourselves.

Night and day.

01RedDX
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Pahnda
10-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

Requires a high density population to transmit. CLUCK is proposing responsible chickenkeeping with a cap on how many you can keep.

These unregulated acronyms are getting out of hand. What ever happened to honest to god words?

ZenOps
10-06-2009, 06:06 PM
What, its pretty valid. Chicken-cooping would probably be more accurate.

Its not necessarily price or to save money. Its the idea that you grew/raised it yourself. Sort of like the old days of victory gardens. Nowadays - after you factor in the price of seed and maybe $1.88 per cubic meter of city water - Its usually cheaper to buy vegetables from the market than to grow them yourself.

But thats not the idea. The idea is that you can be somewhat self sufficient. The global food system is so mixed up nowadays that you might not be able to trust a milk source for melamine, or some locally grown strawberries for ecoli or hepatitis.

http://www.canada.com/health/Hepatitis+myths+Canadians+risk+survey+warns/1999329/story.html?id=1999329

sputnik
10-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Bird flu?

Are you currently living in a bubble now that H1N1 is out there?

Supa Dexta
10-06-2009, 10:47 PM

It's not about saving money, it's about the quality of the food we buy vs the quality of the food we produce ourselves.

Night and day.

Says you.. The article goes on about how difficult it is to get food for her family, having 3 kids and all. Not the dangers of super market eggs.. :rolleyes:

I have grain silos out back, and its still not really worth it to give it to a few chickens.

randedge
10-07-2009, 12:12 AM
I agree about her statement about reptilian pets. I really don't get people who own them. I mean, they don't really express affection. Maybe you can interpret an Iguanas' actions as such, but still, I chalk it up to reptilian brain needs. Fishtanks are decorative at least. Birds, like Mammals can show affection, and in this case are a source of eggs.

luv2ride_bikes
10-07-2009, 07:49 AM
I think she just wants attention. Maybe she is hoping some Calgarians will donate money to her to help her feed her kids. I don't think the hassle of feeding and cleaning up after chickens is worth it. Eggs are cheap. I'm just glad she doesn't live near me.

sputnik
10-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Says you.. The article goes on about how difficult it is to get food for her family, having 3 kids and all. Not the dangers of super market eggs.. :rolleyes:

Playing the "economy card" is WAY easier these days than fighting it on terms of sustainability and current food quality.

I am on her side regardless. At the end of the day I don't care if she has chickens as pets because she likes them better than cats or dogs.

It is a non-issue in my books and there are really no arguments that are valid against her ability to keep chickens as pets.

sputnik
10-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by luv2ride_bikes
I think she just wants attention. Maybe she is hoping some Calgarians will donate money to her to help her feed her kids. I don't think the hassle of feeding and cleaning up after chickens is worth it. Eggs are cheap. I'm just glad she doesn't live near me.

My wife and I eat 2 dozen eggs per week. Works out to about $500/year. Not THAT much money, but money I would rather spend elsewhere.

Some people have dogs, walk them for miles and carry their shit around in bags a couple times a day. How is tending a couple of chickens any worse than that? Dogs don't even do anything and cost more to feed and maintain than a few birds.

I would rather her live near me than the couple with 3 noisy lap dogs that don't seem to shut up and piss on my front lawn as their owner walk them down our street.

googe
10-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Some family on my block has chickens. It seems like that would be hard to get upset about to me, I just laughed. Apparently it's not totally uncommon for mexican families. I have way more important things to care about. If that is the worst part of your day, you have way too much free time.

Mar
10-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Are you currently living in a bubble now that H1N1 is out there? There's 4 strands of H1N1, one is the type people are getting, 2 are found in pigs (giving it the swine name) and the other is the bird flu. So the bird flu is H1N1.

sputnik
10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Mar
There's 4 strands of H1N1, one is the type people are getting, 2 are found in pigs (giving it the swine name) and the other is the bird flu. So the bird flu is H1N1.

Avian influenza (bird flu) is H5N1.

randedge
10-07-2009, 12:19 PM

My wife and I eat 2 dozen eggs per week. Works out to about $500/year. Not THAT much money, but money I would rather spend elsewhere.

Some people have dogs, walk them for miles and carry their shit around in bags a couple times a day. How is tending a couple of chickens any worse than that? Dogs don't even do anything and cost more to feed and maintain than a few birds.

I would rather her live near me than the couple with 3 noisy lap dogs that don't seem to shut up and piss on my front lawn as their owner walk them down our street.

Agreed.

I do have a neighbour with a noisy lapdog too and it annoys me. I love dogs, but I really really hate lapdogs. On average, they seem to be the most ill tempered. Probably has to do with the tendency for people to tolerate bad behaviour and chalk it up to cuteness because of their size. The same thing on a big dog and we all panic and ask for it to be put down or something. Ugh... North American pet keeping - nothing but an exercise in anthropomorphism for most.

Eleanor
10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
My wife and I eat 2 dozen eggs per week. Seriously? :eek:

Am I weird in thinking that that's a lot?

JC522
10-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Seriously? :eek:

Am I weird in thinking that that's a lot?

No when I talked to a guy at popeye's when I was getting some weight gainer, he asked me what i ate for breakfast. I told him 3-4 eggs and maybe a piece of toast. he said every morning I should be eating 6 eggs, some form of meat, toast and milk

syeve
10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Honestly, this lady should be able to do whatever she wants on her property as long as it doesn't affect anyone else - if you can't hear it, see it or smell it, who cares?

I agree, but even if someone can hear them, smell them, whatever...do they have the right to have the chickens removed?

That's a slippery slope IMO, someone could complain that a dog is barking and have it removed if they wanted? It is my understanding that chickens sleep at night so they wouldn't amke any noise after sunset.

A pet is a lose term as well, I know a guy that has a squirrel for a pet.

Legless_Marine2
10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by syeve

That's a slippery slope IMO, someone could complain that a dog is barking and have it removed if they wanted? It is my understanding that chickens sleep at night so they wouldn't amke any noise after sunset.

I don't know if they make a lot of noise... Just little cluck cluck cluck sounds that wouldn't travel far. I imagine I'd find the sound quite soothing.

The chicken thing sounds kind of cool... It's not my cup of tea, but I can see how it would be a huge benefit. Would probably be a lot of fun for those who have kids, too!

From what I've read, they control weeds as well.

It really sounds great for those who are into that sort of thing.

syeve
10-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I have always wanted a few sheep in my backyard...I think that would be awesome. Is that "allowed"?

Supa Dexta
10-07-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/9143626-chicken-hen-clucking-egg-laying

googe
10-07-2009, 10:01 PM
when i first saw this thread, i thought it was going to be a link to this:

8pyW6w5B7Aw

kdwebber
10-08-2009, 12:26 AM
I think most of you are missing the point. We live in a large urban centre and there is no reason to have chickens.

If you allow chickens what is next, a horse? a pig?

speedog
10-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by kdwebber
I think most of you are missing the point. We live in a large urban centre and there is no reason to have chickens.

If you allow chickens what is next, a horse? a pig? Well actually, there were a couple of miniature horses also living in someone's backyard also in Highwood up until last summer. The horses weren't a big deal as the yard/small barn was kept very clean - you couldn't smell the yard until you were right next to it and that was only very occasionally during the winter after a real good thaw. Was kind of neat to take my kids when they were younger for a walk to feed the neighborhood horses some carrots and treats - of note, none of the neighbors had any issues with those two little horses.

71car2
10-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Oh boy, Chickens? Let the lady have her egg source kept in her yard. It wouldn't bother me if she was next door anyway. I'm used to farm animals - I used to go to my great-uncle's ranch to feed few animals there.

I'd get up early mornings... walk outside to a fenced yard where uncle's hens are... throw around some grain and walk in henhouse to collect the few eggs in nests. Tasted great and fresh cooked in mornings!

Geez, some people in Calgary have too much time complaining for every petty stupid things :rolleyes:

Legless_Marine2
10-08-2009, 07:06 AM

It is you that is missing the point - Just because you can't think of any reason doesn't mean others don't have them.

Approval of chickens would be selective, and not automatically make all livestock ok.

I do see goats as a possible next-step, but don't think they would enjoy the same appeal and support as chickens.

Like chickens, they would need to be evaluated on the basis of their merits/drawbacks.

Legless_Marine2
10-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by 71car2

Geez, some people in Calgary have too much time complaining for every petty stupid things :rolleyes:

I believe the resistance to urban chickens stems from a society-wide conditioning to hate and fear nature. It's much more profitable to keep us safe inside in front of our TVs eating manufactured food.

Rat Fink
10-08-2009, 09:20 AM

googe
10-08-2009, 09:42 AM

this is starting to sound a lot like a gay marriage debate :rofl:

Kennyredline
10-08-2009, 12:22 PM
and I want a Siberian Tiger for a pet; I know a guy who'll even go get it for me.:thumbsup:

sputnik
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

and I want a Siberian Tiger for a pet; I know a guy who'll even go get it for me.:thumbsup:

You probably won't get a tiger if you go with the guy you are thinking of.

ZenOps
10-09-2009, 08:56 AM
As for smell... Chickens are probably right up there with dog poop.

You would be surprised what people get upset over with smell. I used to have a neighbor who was appalled at me grilling a BBQ steak, I think she was a vegan :dunno:

spikerS
10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I just found out that Mary March is my co-workers wife. I think it is pretty funny, as the whole family is vegans. which i find is a little wierd as i thought vegans cant eat eggs.....

Toma
10-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Night and day.

Ditto... I pay $6 a dozen for supposedly "good" eggs... would rather raise my own.

Toma
10-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS
"If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years." - Bertrand Russell

Mind your business.
Beautiful.

natejj
10-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I think it's more about the principle of the matter, and where does the city draw the line.... if this lady gets her chickens... then so can some other guy... and another guy. And then some person gets 10 of them. And then its out of control...

BigMass
10-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by natejj
I think it's more about the principle of the matter, and where does the city draw the line.... if this lady gets her chickens... then so can some other guy... and another guy. And then some person gets 10 of them. And then its out of control...

you can say the same thing about any animal. Like a dog or a cat.

And the argument that if something is not illegal everyone would be doing it is moronic to begin with. I'm willing to bet the majority of people in the city don't own chickens not because it's illegal. It's probably because they just don't want to own chickens.

autosm
10-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Livestock are not allowed in the city.
Thats about it.

People who feed pigeons should be shot. Along with the damn flying rats.

We need an alberta free of pigeons policy.

Well a pigeon coupe is allowed , I called the city and they said pigeons are ok.

So if someone can keep f**king pigeons what is wrong with a few chickens? This city has some really screwed up rules.

A few years ago we had a major problem with pigeons, then my neighbor moved away and they were gone with in 6 months. Who in there right mind would feed them to attract them to their yard?:facepalm:

Legless_Marine2
10-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by natejj

The chicken folks themselves have been clear that they favor constraints on this, such as minimum space, and maximum number of birds.

Legless_Marine2
10-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by autosm

Well a pigeon coupe is allowed ,

A pigeon coupe? I bet that thing just flies.

Kennyredline
10-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by autosm

Well a pigeon coupe is allowed , I called the city and they said pigeons are ok.

A pigeon coupe? Sounds like a big flap over nothing. Maybe it's for the birds. Does it come with a sunroof? Better COOP it closed.
:thumbsup:

urban.one
03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Backyard chicken advocates rally in Calgary
Last Updated: Thursday, March 11, 2010 | 10:44 AM MT

Some Calgarians raise chickens in their backyards, even though a bylaw forbids raising livestock in most urban areas.

(CBC)Chickens strutted on a Calgary sidewalk Wednesday night as about 100 people rallied for a bylaw change that would make raising the birds in backyards legal.

The rally, organized by the Canadian Liberated Urban Chicken Klub (CLUCK), was held outside a movie theatre in the neighbourhood of Kensington.

During the rally, some chickens pecked at the sidewalk, while others were in pens.

"I think that urban chickens have a place in the city. I think that there are so many positives that outweigh the negatives, I'm all for it," said Andrea Anon, who was in the crowd.

"Especially since this works in huge cities like Vancouver and Seattle, why can't we have it work in Calgary where we're even more agricultural friendly?" added Jennifer Cavanagh.

Some Calgarians raise chickens in their backyards, even though a city bylaw forbids raising livestock in most urban areas. There is an exemption for pigeons.

Bylaw officer suggests review
The head of the city's bylaw services, Bill Bruce, wants to take a second look at the issue.

"A lot of things have changed in the last couple of years with how people think about food and how they think about how food is raised. So I think it's probably an appropriate time for us to have a look. Is this bylaw current and appropriate or does there need to be some changes made?"

Two Calgarians have been charged with raising backyard chickens and have court dates set for next month.

Paul Hughes, a member of the CLUCK group who raises chickens in a shed, said he hopes that those cases will be adjourned until after the bylaw review, which he supports.

"We're 100 per cent co-operative with that [review] and we fully endorse that. We think that's a great idea. Let's get all the facts on the table, let's look at what other jurisdictions are doing."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/03/11/calgary-backyard-chickens-rally.html#ixzz0htYMrGTT

Disoblige
03-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

Mind your business.
Well, unless you're a sadist lol.

masoncgy
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Who cares? It's a couple of harmless chickens. I'd rather live next door to a small coop with a couple of quiet hens over a neighbor with loud, obnoxious dogs anyday.

People get far too worked up about things they obviously haven't taken the few minutes to research.

Again, it's that souless, uptight, stuffy, work-a-holic NIMBY crowd that is dictating what everyone else can and can't do.

Sugarphreak
03-11-2010, 01:32 PM

CUG
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

... god damn it :facepalm: I know, that's where I stopped reading the thread.

97'Scort
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't see an issue with it as long as they're properly penned. You don't want to see feral chickens running around everywhere.

mazdavirgin
03-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I donno about you guys but having actually kept chickens on a farm frankly people are nuts. One chickens smell *really* bad. Two roosters crowing is going to be lovely in the summer when people try to sleep past 4 am. Three it's all fine when a couple people have chickens but what are we going to do when hundreds of chickens are in a neighborhood and it rains? I can only imagine the disaster that much fecal matter is going to cause in the river. Four how many bleeding hearts are we going to have when they do mass culls to prevent disease and we have to put down little clucky?

PS: Can't wait to see how many people get Salmonella.

masoncgy
03-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

In other words you are refering to the tax-payers

Poor hippies, squatters & free-loaders never get a break... all they want to do is raise hens, smoke pot and watch Dr. Phill

Wow... I never realized that only lazy, squatting, pot smoking hippies had a desire to raise their own food.

What a small, narrow view of the world you have... where oh where do I sign up for one?

I pay a hell of a lot of taxes and I support people's desires to have a couple of chickens in their back yard, should they be responsible with them. Wow... I wonder what that makes me, in your eyes...

:dunno:

Kritafo
03-11-2010, 07:18 PM
It's not just all hippies that want to have chickens. It's more about where your food is coming from. CLUCK has a group on facebook. Many cities are allowing chickens with a capped number all over North America and if they are finally approved I know my husband will be first in line.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=68948494632

Yes I am a member! yeah I know...what a surprise lol.

Sugarphreak
03-11-2010, 11:45 PM

ZenOps
03-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't mind some livestock. Too bad I can't go outside and do some seal huntin'

It has a little bit to do with trust. Long has it been trustworthy to go to the local supermarket for all of your food. But nowadays you get psychopathic retards who stick needles into produce. As an Asian Canadian - we have always been at the mercy of the government and producers of food to ensure that what gets on our dinner table is safe to eat.

Heck, I'd prefer to grow my own Marijuanna if possible too. How in the heck can you really trust whats on the street nowadays?

Kensington theatre.. Hippie heaven in Calgary.

abyss
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't see the big deal. I'm sure people would be cleaner and more responsible with them than they are with their dogs, plus they're going into it with that higher standard already placed on them. I'm sure if someone messed up, the responsible chicken owners would be on them immediately to GTFO. My friend had a duck (male though, no eggs) as a pet growing up, I never thought it was that weird, and it definitely smelled less than 90% of the dogs I have encountered in my life.

In Kincora alone there's easily 100 pounds of dog shit in the neighbourhood from lazy irresponsible fucking dog owners. My son and I have to dodge about 30 piles of random dog shit on the path on our 3 minute walk to the park. That's not even considering the piles on the side of the path and in the grass, and the 10 piles on the 100 ft walk to the mailbox. I'm sure that and nose hill are much bigger threats to water safety than a few hundred responsible residents keeping 3 or 4 chickens as pets.

mazdavirgin
03-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by abyss
I'm sure that and nose hill are much bigger threats to water safety than a few hundred responsible residents keeping 3 or 4 chickens as pets.

Nose hill doesn't drain into the storm sewer system.