PDA

View Full Version : Jay-Z Not Welcome in Calgary?

djayz
10-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Jay-Z's concert is now 1 week away and the response looks really weak for a city of our size.

This is probably one of the grestest rappers of all time and for someone of this calibre to come to our crappy city is crazy.

So my question to those who aren't going, or who are left holding the bag with extra tickets, and those who had tickets and backed down....

Why are you or to the bag holders why are your friends not going to this?

I ask because I'm looking through the beyond marketplace and theres atleast 20 threads, I then head over to stubhub and theres 84 listings right now with a total of 212 tickets for sale which to me seems like alot.
That and the fact that people are selling well below face value and still not selling.

dino_martini
10-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Are you sure its not just people who bought tickets with the intent of making money, and then it never quite worked out?

dj_honda
10-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I bought second level tickets on presale assuming a sellout. I then got floor tickets, and now have 2 sets of tickets. I am probably going to have to sell my floor seats to not end up with 2 pairs but at this point no one seems to interested.

Redlyne_mr2
10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Hip Hop concerts never seem to do very well here. Face it, Calgary doesn't even have a hip hop radio station.

chkolny541
10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
i would love to see jay-z, im a huge fan. But my choice of not seeing him seems to be closely tied with the 160$/tckt cost. those are 89coupe price tickets

djayz
10-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Are you sure its not just people who bought tickets with the intent of making money, and then it never quite worked out?

While this is true, I've noticed alot of people on beyond saying that they are selling tickets where friends backed out.

It was my original intent to cover the cost of my own ticket by selling off the extra's that I bought as it has worked in the past before, however I also bought tickets for friends who have back out for no apparent reason.

So I would say it's a little bit of both but for someone this big to come to Calgary and not have a sellout show boggles my mind. I know it's a city of rednecks but Jay-Z is the equivalent of the biggest country singer out there right now.

djayz
10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
i would love to see jay-z, im a huge fan. But my choice of not seeing him seems to be closely tied with the 160$/tckt cost. those are 89coupe price tickets

What would you say is more reasonable price?
I do agree with you but if you're a fan you're a fan and to see him live in our city is a once in a lifetime thing so price shouldn't sway you're decision too much unless you go to 2-3 concerts a month.

krazykhoja
10-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Depends on where you are looking to sit...I have some extra seats in 223 (because friends backed out)...they are $225 for the pair...so less than the $160/ticket, but at the same time like djayz said unless you see tons of concerts, its worth it to see him live the one time.

I don't know either why the show hasn't sold out, I really thought it would so I bought tickets for my friends because they weren't able to the first day they went on sale...now unfortunately they backed out and I'm stuck with extra tickets.

adidas
10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by djayz

So I would say it's a little bit of both but for someone this big to come to Calgary and not have a sellout show boggles my mind. I know it's a city of rednecks but Jay-Z is the equivalent of the biggest country singer out there right now.

Thats quite frankly your own opinion.

I love rap/hip hop, its my favorite genre.

I dont like Jay Z, some might put him at the top of the list of best rappers but to me he aint that good. Personal opinion, if you dont agree with it thats okay.

I can name 5 other rappers id like to see way before id even consider paying 200 bux for a Jay Z ticket.

I havent been to many concerts, actually only a few that were held at bars but thats not even a concert, we will call it an appearance. They have been really shitty, got into all of them for free and could only imagine paying 40-50 bux to see em perform. Paying 200 bux a ticket is too much.

v2kai
10-06-2009, 08:51 PM
recession. people lose jobs last thing on their mind is going to see Jay-Z

HungryJack
10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
If this were going to be at the Whiskey, or maybe even the Jube, and tickets were reasonably priced, say 75-100 bucks, I'd definitely think about it.

That said, Jay-Z filling the Dome is a losing proposition, especially at the retarded prices they cost.

100+ for 2nd level at the dome for this show is silly.

I think shows of this nature are much better suited to more intimate venues.

Ajay
10-06-2009, 10:00 PM
As far as I know it's sold out here in Kelowna.

Tickets here were $100 or $50 and even the $50 tickets are pretty damn close to the stage. I got the $100 tickets :D

brandon
10-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
As far as I know it's sold out here in Kelowna.

Tickets here were $100 or $50 and even the $50 tickets are pretty damn close to the stage. I got the $100 tickets :D

nah, there is still lots of tickets available.. but i'm still stoked for it!

G-ZUS
10-06-2009, 10:13 PM
~10 people on my facebook are selling tickets

Jlude
10-06-2009, 10:17 PM
I was gonna go, but I didn't realize it was on a weekday, so...

Miss two days of pay
Pay 400 to fly to Calgary for two days
Pay a couple hundred for floor seats
I've never gone out and spent less than 500, so it's gonna be crazy expensive that night.

He's good... but not that good.

Sharpie
10-06-2009, 10:18 PM
jayz is weak bring someone better and it will sell out

sexualbanana
10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
it could also be that so many hip hop artists have had to cancel shows in canada that people just don't want to chance it.

just throwing out another possibility

Renagades
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Way to expesive. As it was said, if it were at Whiskey and cheaper I'd be all for but but as it stands there's no way I'm paying that for a show.

RY213
10-06-2009, 10:38 PM
If he came in the Blueprint-Black Album era I would have been all over this concert. The fact is his last 3 CD's pale in comparison to his earlier albums. He should have stayed retired imo and went out with a bang with the Black Album which is a classic to me...

Disoblige
10-06-2009, 11:30 PM

I had some many people told me they bought tickets with the intent of selling them and I had such a HUGE facepalm because I had a feeling it wasn't going to work out and I was also pissed at the high ticket price already.

Again, yeah, $160?! Kanye was $80 and there was Lupe, Rihanna, N.E.R.D., and even saw Chris Brown.

EK 2.0
10-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Miss two days of pay
I've never gone out and spent less than 500, so it's gonna be crazy expensive that night.

I actually did that in 2008 when he and Mary J. Blige were playing at the Hollywood Bowl...

As someone who has seen Jay-Z quite a few times already...yes, i am going to this show, yes, I did get floor seats, yes, I am disappointed that the show is not sold out yet...I mean Kanye did sell out when he was at the dome...

I just know that he will put on an amazing show. Remember that N.E.R.D. is coming along, remember that Pharrell and Chad from N.E.R.D. are the Neptunes and they produced a ton of stuff for Shawn Carter, as well as Pharrell appeared on quite a few Jigga tracks...so to hear those tracks live would be money. Also, needless to say...I am a great Hov fan...have been since 94 or something...but yeah...so my thoughts are probably uber biased to the outsider haha...

c20GOwkCVaQ

bLLqx74CD1o

SScott
10-06-2009, 11:57 PM
I hope i dont get stuck with my tickets...

I bought them right when they went on sale and then ended up getting better seats..

I thought i would have no problem selling them but for the past 2 weeks they're still sitting in my hands

psycoticclown
10-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Jlude

Miss two days of pay

Ya... for me it means driving up to Calgary at 6, get to the dome at 8 if I'm lucky, than head back to Lethbridge after the concert cause I have a Midterm at 9 the next morning... too much.

SScott
10-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I actually did that in 2008 when he and Mary J. Blige were playing at the Hollywood Bowl...

As someone who has seen Jay-Z quite a few times already...yes, i am going to this show, yes, I did get floor seats, yes, I am disappointed that the show is not sold out yet...I mean Kanye did sell out when he was at the dome...

I just know that he will put on an amazing show. Remember that N.E.R.D. is coming along, remember that Pharrell and Chad from N.E.R.D. are the Neptunes and they produced a ton of stuff for Shawn Carter, as well as Pharrell appeared on quite a few Jigga tracks...so to hear those tracks live would be money. Also, needless to say...I am a great Hov fan...have been since 94 or something...but yeah...so my thoughts are probably uber biased to the outsider haha...

c20GOwkCVaQ

bLLqx74CD1o

I'm not counting on pharell coming out and doing hooks on his songs with Jay Z. But I'm hoping to be proooved wrong.

Can't wait to see the reviews of his first couple of shows to see how it works

EK 2.0
10-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by SScott

I'm not counting on pharell coming out and doing hooks on his songs with Jay Z. But I'm hoping to be proooved wrong.

While I obviously cannot guarantee that will happen...I have seen him 5 times in my life, and anytime Pharrell or any one of his callabos are at the venue, they have come out to sing their hooks, or verses...

2Valve0
10-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Honestly, im a hip hop fanatic, and have listened to it my whole life and I can say i'm not a fan of Jay-Z. Sure he has his great songs, but alot of his stuff is just so-so. And no im not an auto-tune lover or any gay shit like that. I like old school and new school. Maybe others think like that too? Not sure, was much more excited to hear NAS was coming awhile back and Kanye(before the gay autotune).

As for people buying tickets to make profit...GOOOD I hope all you hoarders lose money when some people try to get tickets to find out idiots have bought 10 pairs each.

Disoblige
10-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Maybe those who can't scalp their tickets will be at the Dome trying to sell their mass amounts of tickets, and have no choice but to sell them for dirt cheap ;)

Eleanor
10-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by djayz
This is probably one of the grestest rappers of all time and for someone of this calibre to come to our crappy city is crazy. I've always found Jay-Z to be the Dr. Seuss of rap. If he can't find a word to rhyme with, he makes one up :dunno:

Mar
10-07-2009, 09:31 AM
If anyone finds themselves stuck with floor tickets I would love to have one. I bought a ticket in section 110, row 3 for the same price as the floor seats from Ticket Master because the floor seats were sold out. So I'll even trade you for my equal price ticket to get a floor seat ticket. I just need one for myself, my friends are lame and don't want to go.

black13
10-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Jay-z as the best rapper? Come on his lyrics aren't all that better than most other rappers out there. Dude not in his prime anymore. Some people think he's like the king of rap but he's just like most others out there.

403ep3
10-07-2009, 10:05 AM
too much money to see him. I want floors but aren't they 160?

dezmarez
10-07-2009, 10:12 AM
taylor swift sold out

JordanEG6
10-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I didn't really expect a city that hosts the Calgary Stampede and Rodeo to sell out a Hip-Hop concert. I'm even surprised Rock The Bells came to Calgary. Calgary is more popular for the top-40 and rock music, which Jay-Z is not part of, with the exception of Run This Town, thanks to the help of 2 top-40 style artists. Like, Redlyne said, we don't even have a Hip-Hop radio station.

Jay-Z is big time, one of the greatest in my opinon, I listen to all his shit and have all his albums, but he isn't as mainstream in Calgary as he would be in the States unless all his shit hits the radio, which doesn't happen.

"I got beef with radio if I don't play they' show
They don't play my hits, I don't give a shit SO"

haha, had to.

Calgary wouldn't know good Hip-Hop if it hit them in the face. That is why most real Hip-Hop artists play in smaller Venues, because only a hand-full would even know who they are up here.

7thgenvic
10-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm only going if i get into a company box....

Jlude
10-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't get me wrong, JayZ is great and I've been a fan since I first heard his music in Jr High, but If I'm gonna end up with a 2-3k bill for a concert... it's not gonna be in Calgary, it's gonna be somewhere nicer and during a long vacation.

Canadian 2.5RS
10-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I am a huge Jigga fan and I knew I was going to this concert as soon as I heard he was coming. NERD and Wale are just a bonus. I am disappointed in Calgary for their lack of support Hov. Anyone know if he is selling any better in Edmonton?

finboy
10-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
taylor swift sold out

so did oasis, just sayin' :dunno:

Jlude
10-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by finboy

so did oasis, just sayin' :dunno:

hahaha that's adding salt on the wound

Dj_Stylz
10-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
I am a huge Jigga fan and I knew I was going to this concert as soon as I heard he was coming. NERD and Wale are just a bonus. I am disappointed in Calgary for their lack of support Hov. Anyone know if he is selling any better in Edmonton?

I think Edmonton sold out but not 100% sure

djayz
10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
So most of you beyond ballers arent going because of tickets prices? I'm even more dissapointed now :rofl:

And yes I totally understand those people who don't like Jay-Z or don't like his rap, it's all personal preference. What closed the deal for me was that Wale was coming which I thought would have brought on more of a fanbase and not to mention NERD who caters do a whole wack of people(even rednecks)

Ohh well I just hope the floor is packed so it actually feels like a concert, don't care about the upper stands etc.

If anyone is craving to go but is having sticker shock msg me on the 12/13 and if I still have my tickets I will sell them off cheap!

Hamann
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
:dunno: Girlfriend was gonna get tickets for me for my Birthday but at those prices I said fuck it, Got tickets for John Lajoie instead :D and they were only $25 each

dezinr
10-07-2009, 03:11 PM

That is the problem with all these online ticket places like Stub Hub. Tickemaster showed sold out for the second last game in Yankees Stadium when I went in 2008...but there were tons of other online sites selling tickets. It is not that people do not want to go but when these companies buy up all the tickets at face value and then turn around and try to re-sell them at 3 times the original costs it risks alot of empty seats at events. Which was the case when I was at Yankees Stadium. It's sad that there is nothing to stop it from happening.

Case in point I recently went to find tickets for the Flames vs. Rangers game on STub Hub...some seats were selling for $1100....ridiculous...and they will probably be empty at the game.

In my opinion it's scalping just the same as the guys that do it right at the event. unfortunately, there is no rules against it so it takes away the opportunity from many to attend events.

SScott
10-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Edmonton Ticketmaster released 4 packs for $99 + service fees, sounds like they're hurtin' more than Calgary is to sell seats