PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Repair

szw
10-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Hoping someone can help me here...

I have a dryer that stopped spinning. I pop off the top and the belt has snapped but also there is a felt material seal that goes around the front of the drum that is also out of place.

I'd like to try to fix it myself as its just out of warranty (no extended warranty). The dishwasher is branded MOFFAT but its made by GE. I call up the parts number on their website (sends me to GE's parts warehouse) and the belt and the front felt seal both cost $54. Does that seem pricy to anyone else?

The model numbers for the two parts I got were we12m27 and we9m26. The strange part now is that I can find almost NO information about these two part numbers online (parts catalogs, parts resellers). I'm trying to find out if there are other part numbers that can be used in exchange of these, or find a cheaper seller.

Any ideas?

BTW any tips for the actual installation of these? I could not find any instructions specific to the type of dryer I have on how to remove the drum. I ended up just taking most of it apart to see how it worked inside. (fairly simple just a lot of screws)

szw
10-07-2009, 10:17 AM
OK fine, a more general question...

from the dryer repair tutorials I looked at online, they all mention an idler pulley which you can move to make the belt tight or slack to remove it. I opened up the dryer and there is NO such pulley attached to the drum or attached to the motor.

FiveFreshFish
10-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Put the belt on one pulley, then start slipping the belt on the other pulley while turning the assembly and slowly pushing the belt on.

Think of how a chain derailleur works on a bicycle and you'll get a better picture.

As far as the price, it's hit or miss. I've had good luck at AMRE Supply on Manchester Rd SE. They had a part for my hood fan that I thought would be $10 cost me only $0.95. A.P. Wagner in the NE is someone else you can try.

szw
10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks

Have you put a belt on one of those without an idler pulley? The belt goes around the drum and the motor shaft and thats it...seems like its a pretty rare setup from what I've read online so far.

FiveFreshFish
10-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I'd check to see if the motor can be unbolted or at least loosened from its mounting points. Once the belt is looped around the drum and pulley, tighten the mounting bolts to take up the slack.

szw
10-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I'd check to see if the motor can be unbolted or at least loosened from its mounting points. Once the belt is looped around the drum and pulley, tighten the mounting bolts to take up the slack.

That is an excellent idea. Thanks

wts
10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
You don't need to unbolt the motor. The tension pully should compress then you'll be able to get the belt on. Just sit there and look at it for a while, you'll see how it works. Hell there might even be a drawing label inside. Try Reliable parts they always have good prices.

szw
10-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by wts
You don't need to unbolt the motor. The tension pully should compress then you'll be able to get the belt on. Just sit there and look at it for a while, you'll see how it works. Hell there might even be a drawing label inside. Try Reliable parts they always have good prices.

The thing is, this model has no tension pulley. Trust me, it didn't break off, its just not there.

justincalgary
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Every dryer that has a belt has a tension pulley.

Is this your dryer?

http://www.applianceaid.com/my_own_dryer.html

szw
10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by justincalgary
Every dryer that has a belt has a tension pulley.

Is this your dryer?

http://www.applianceaid.com/my_own_dryer.html

There is definitely no tension pulley in this one (and a few others i've read about online, but its rare).

Its nowhere inside (broken, on the floor of the machine) and I went to the GE parts store and had them check the part lists. There is no idler pulley listed in the exploded diagrams or the parts list.

Alterac
10-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Castle Appliances behind Jysk in the NE has lots of parts also.

szw
10-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I feel useless.

Yesterday I finally got the belt in and stripped down the dryer. I have no idea how this thing is going to get in. I wrapped it around the dryer drum and there is so little slack I don't see how its possible to get it around the motor shaft. You can't even do it by loosening the screws holding the motor down, you'd have to remove the motor completely and lift it up about 2 inches to fit in the slack.

The belt is definitely the right size because its the same as the old one that snapped.

There is something I'm doing wrong here so I stopped, swore a lot, and gonna call a tech to fix it. He's just a general tech and not the official GE guy so hopefully he has an idea on how to do it.

I searched online and apparently there are some "stretchable dryer belts" that need a tool to stretch them around the drum. Not sure if this is that kind but I dont' want to mess with it anymore.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

szw
10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Just to update, I called some repair guy to look at it. After half an hour looking at it and playing iwth the belt saying "I don't believe it....no way this can fit"....he tried to spin the belt on just like FFF suggested in his first post. It took a few tries but eventually it went on and we were both celebrating when it finally got on.

$45 well spent compared to the $150 bill I'd get from a real GE tech. (or I could have did what FF suggested but it just didnt' look possible to me!)

FiveFreshFish
10-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Good to hear it worked out.