PDA

View Full Version : What to charge?

TDFTW
10-07-2009, 06:57 PM
So a performance shop (unnamed for now) proposed I photograph all their performance cars they do work to for their website. Cars range from escalades to 2010 camaros.

Each car has it's own gallery page and it will be pretty much a full on shoot with each vehicle. I'm not limited with my creativity either I'll have freedom to do what I think looks good.

However, the hard part is negotiations. What does something like this usually pay? How do you go about proposing numbers to them? I'm going in this saturday to shoot a 2010 camaro and it will be my test shoot to show them I know what I'm doing and can provide quality photos, that is also when we negotiate terms etc.

Any input is appreciated.

quazimoto
10-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Honestly $50-75 per hour is my normal rate and I try to equate that as close as possible into the work I do. I know it sounds like a lot. I'm doing flat rate sitting fees for a fitness company right now and it works out to $120 per sitting fee. The actually hourly rate after all is said and done is around $50-$60 per hour.

I just refuse to do work now a days if it's less than X amount of money since you can end up driving around more and wasting more time than it might be worth.

By the way, 89coupster's fee, would be approx $495 per model!

psycoticclown
10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Depends on how many online video tutorials you have watched. $495 per video watched per car.

TDFTW
10-07-2009, 08:06 PM
:facepalm: I can't even get serious replies in a thread that DOESN'T involve 89coupe? This shit is funny when you do it in HIS thread, but not mine. C'mon already guys! Know when the horse has been beaten dead

quazimoto
10-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey hey now, I was serious. All but the very very last line :)

TDFTW
10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

G-Suede
10-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW
:facepalm: I can't even get serious replies in a thread that DOESN'T involve 89coupe? This shit is funny when you do it in HIS thread, but not mine. C'mon already guys! Know when the horse has been beaten dead

You are almost as big of an attention whore as he is, so it should come as no surprise.

TDFTW
10-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by G-Suede

You are almost as big of an attention whore as he is, so it should come as no surprise. Hey Goomba, I don't post in every thread causing trouble like he does. I merely stir the pot once in a while.

AccentAE86
10-07-2009, 11:44 PM
It all depends on your experience level and whether you can offer something unique that the next guy isn't capable of bringing.

If your photos are high quality and unique enough, you can charge a premium. Whether they'll pay or not is the other question.

I would say this falls under commercial photography. Rates for commercial photography is all over the map so just about anything goes. My current rate is $500 an hour. There are many who are much lower, and many who are higher.

And fucking PLEASE stop with the stupid internet video pano lingerie comments. It got old after the second time.

mboldt
10-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Like AccentAE86 said...

Here is the response I got a year or so back from one of the worlds bigger car photographers:

(however I don't know if you would consider yourself / this job to be on a licensing and larger contract based level right now)

"

i am trying to remember what my agent said to me

1) images: how many final images?
2) usage: what is the usage? magazines? billboards? usage as in use in where?
3) years: ask how many years they intend to use it
4) coverage: in which country?
5) reputation: as in how famous you are. if you are nobody then it's 1 (yes i consider myself a 1)

it's a classic 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x5 or at least that's what I remembered what my agent told me.

so if usage is mag only 5(images) x $500(usage for mags) x 1 (yr) x 1 (country) x 1 = $2,500.
it's an example. dont quote me. i dont even quote myself. -.-

when shooting commerical. it's always about how many final images they want. yes they can count it. if they dont then count for them. sit down and understand what they want to use it for. how they want to use it. what is the demographics they want to hit. then you can roughly figure out what kind of images they want.

commercial is about 90% preparation and 10% shooting.
and of that 100% shots, only 5% get selected for final reproduction. (with the exception of HDR, 1 angle = 1 shot)

"