PDA

View Full Version : Calgary police..

Power_Of_Rotary
10-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I was having a discussion with a friend and we argued about what type of position a person can get with a college/uni degree.

From what I have seen at the Calgary police site, it only says constable. While my friend says they should be put into a detective position. I know this holds true for Honkong, but can someone justify this for Calgary?

And how would a constable be promoted to a detective rank?

97acura
10-07-2009, 08:15 PM
This may seem crazy, but HARD WORK?

ragu
10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Quotas?

97acura
10-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Just because you have a piece of paper that you put on your wall, it doesn't mean you move right to a certain position.

Power_Of_Rotary
10-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by 97acura
Just because you have a piece of paper that you put on your wall, it doesn't mean you move right to a certain position.

yes that is what i argued too...but i cant be certain since HONGKONG police website states specifically detective ranks are available to those with a degree.

chkolny541
10-07-2009, 08:25 PM
This may seem crazy, but HARD WORK?

so crazy it just might work..

97acura
10-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

so crazy it just might work..

Novel idea.... Too bad kids still think just because you have a piece of paper in a frame on your wall, you skip to the front of the line.

Meback
10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
correct me if i m wrong, but don't every cop hired in this city first start out as a street cop, providing that they are rookies and have not done policing anywhere else?

HungryJack
10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Why don't you just phone CPS and ask them what their policy is?

Rat Fink
10-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Power_Of_Rotary
10-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I'm pretty sure there are tons of applicants who have degrees/diplomas when they apply to CPS. Talk to a recruiter and you will find they are looking for life experience and a lot of people have post secondary under their belt to help show they can commit to a task and follow through it. That piece of paper is only one part of the overall picture they are looking at and I'm sure CPS beyond members can confirm that you will not jump off the street and straight into a detective slot just because of what piece of paper you have. That is just silly. Even a lot of criminal justice grads get turned down too.

Yet again, i am AGREEING with this, i am arguing from the same perspective.

My question is still not answer yet. because it is a fact that HK will allow a university grad to become a detective. If you guys would like i can post the link.

I want more solid facts such as : how many years as a constable, upgrading classes (i know there is something along those lines), and achievements/performance.

VTEXTC
10-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I can confirm that every new hire with the CPS starts out as a Patrol Constable. Each year of tenure earns you an upgrade into a higher "class" of constable until you reach 5 years at which time you are a "first class" constable.

CPS does not allow you to apply for promotion until you are at least a first class constable ( 5 years service). Most promotional candidates have anywhere from 10-20 odd years of service on the job before getting promoted.

It would make little sense to initiate someone into the rank of detective merely because they have a university degree. How can a new hire go from solving complicated, tedious and time consuming cases if they cannot first, understand the intricacies of investigating routine, patrol type calls, or demonstrating their abilities (yes, including quotas) without working the street for a number of years?

Hope this helps.

A

phil98z24
10-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Despite what some people may think, being a police officer means you absolutely MUST understand the criminal code, including use of force, search and seizure, detention/arrest, case law relating to all of those things, how to properly perform investigations that respect the Charter rights of bad guys and the good guys along with the myriad other regulations and statutes being enforced and how they all relate to each other - so someone straight out of school or even from a police service that isn't Canadian won't have that requisite knowledge.

Patrol work is probably the hardest thing to be effective at, and incredibly complicated - and this is by admission of most people who are higher up the food chain than us street peons. Detectives get the information after we perform the initial investigation or attend a call, which means it needs to be done properly from the very outset. Again, something that you can't learn in school.

Our 5 year minimum is mostly a number on paper - as VTEXTC said, most good candidates have far more experience. At 5 years most cops have mostly figured out what they are doing, but still have a long way to go. :)

edit - posted before finishing!

Manhattan
10-08-2009, 01:21 PM
What's the pay like for a rookie cop?

Power_Of_Rotary
10-08-2009, 01:23 PM
wow 5 years (atleast) to be able to even have a chance of promotion... its not really hard work, its more of time worked. I cant say its "experience" considering half the cps does nothing but give out tickets, drink coffee and donuts.

http://www.police.gov.hk/hkp-home/english/recruitment/entry.htm

the HK police system is very similar to the canadian justice system, therefore i thought it may have a chance to be the same thing for ranking jobs.

You only have a CHANCE to become an inspector with a degree is if you pass the 6 month training (same as a constable, but im assuming training is a bit different)

Power_Of_Rotary
10-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24
Despite what some people may think, being a police officer means you absolutely MUST understand the criminal code, including use of force, search and seizure, detention/arrest, case law relating to all of those things, how to properly perform investigations that respect the Charter rights of bad guys and the good guys along with the myriad other regulations and statutes being enforced and how they all relate to each other - so someone straight out of school or even from a police service that isn't Canadian won't have that requisite knowledge.

Patrol work is probably the hardest thing to be effective at, and incredibly complicated - and this is by admission of most people who are higher up the food chain than us street peons. Detectives get the information after we perform the initial investigation or attend a call, which means it needs to be done properly from the very outset. Again, something that you can't learn in school.

Our 5 year minimum is mostly a number on paper - as VTEXTC said, most good candidates have far more experience. At 5 years most cops have mostly figured out what they are doing, but still have a long way to go. :)

edit - posted before finishing!

All cops have a 26 week (6month) training before being actually "hired". Same as HK police system. But inspector vs constable, the difference i would assume is the 6 month training to be different, and again you must PASS to be hired. No one is hired as a police (constable or detective) on the spot.

Rat Fink
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM

97acura
10-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
wow 5 years (atleast) to be able to even have a chance of promotion... its not really hard work, its more of time worked. I cant say its "experience" considering half the cps does nothing but give out tickets, drink coffee and donuts.

Alright, we are done here. :facepalm:

phil98z24
10-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Your welcome for answering your question. :facepalm:

97acura
10-08-2009, 01:57 PM
We should have guessed he was an idiot by his 'Rotary' username :facepalm:

mazdavirgin
10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I'm sure a hard day as an officer is a lot more mentally/emotionally/physically straining than something you have ever done in your life dude.

Oh please. Enough of the martyr complex. Listening to you people one would think Police Officers are the most educated and heroic people ever to walk on this ball of mud.

All this BS hero praising for simply doing a menial job? Please there are dozens of jobs far more important.

PS: It's a lot harder to get that piece of paper than to pass the pansy standards for cop school. 6 months of training oh boy thats even worse than Devry...

ronrey
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
According to Sarah Silverman all you need is C's in high school to be a cop.

swak
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Oh please. Enough of the martyr complex. Listening to you people one would think Police Officers are the most educated and heroic people ever to walk on this ball of mud.

All this BS hero praising for simply doing a menial job? Please there are dozens of jobs far more important.

PS: It's a lot harder to get that piece of paper than to pass the pansy standards for cop school. 6 months of training oh boy thats even worse than Devry...

Okay there Marx.
GTFO. :facepalm:

Pollywog
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by ronrey
According to Sarah Silverman all you need is C's in high school to be a cop.

Not far from true here with how desperate the recruitement programs are/were.

It became evident to me when I was told:
"You shouldn't be doing that"
"Why?"
"I am pretty sure this is against the law sir"
"I beg to differ. Care to tell me where and what it states?"
"I am not paid to read the rules to you sir, I am paid to enforce them."
"So you dont have a clue..."
"STAY OFF THE SIDEWALKS AND THE STREETS OR I WILL ARREST YOU NEXT TIME SIR".

This was an officer who couldn't remember whether my quadricycle (longboard) was permitted on either the sidewalk or the road. Apparently if you can't remember, neither are permitted. I think my cheap laughs at his piss-pour education and training became obvious to him when I could barely keep my composure as he spoke. And doesn't it seem like many of the cops you see nowadays have striking resemblances to people with authority issues from highschool?

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

My crazy ass aunt who just finished a couple of years being a kindergarten class-helper just became a police officer. It makes me laugh, it's a complete joke. She has such authority issues to begin with, bossing my uncle around (who is like the bitch in the relationship) and her three kids. Now I have to listen to her non-stop fucking talk about how hardcore she is.:facepalm:

Originally posted by swak

Okay there Marx.
GTFO. :facepalm:

Please explain your flaccid argument that seems to have nothing to do with the topic of conversation. Marxism is far from what came to mind when I read his statement..:dunno:

chkolny541
10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
whats with your constant comparison to " well in hong kong THIS is the case"

stop comparing it to a place that is completely irrelevant to the CPS. no one cares

swak
10-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I too have the very same views pollywog. Its getting stupid now.
Marxism came to mind when he said that there are far more important jobs than police. I disagree. Just cause you wear a suit and sit in a lazyboy downtown doesn't mean your jobs more important than the guy that picks up your garbage

Rat Fink
10-08-2009, 04:37 PM

97acura
10-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Cue all the nancy's coming in a acting like they could do policing work :rofl: You pussies would quit after one day.

revelations
10-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Members who are self-starters generally tend to make for better cops. Its not about a degree on the wall but how driven as a person you are that will determine your success on the job.

Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding was that you can move up with less than 5 years but you would still be on the streets (eg. dog team, TAC team, property crimes, etc.).

Also, the CPS encourages members to take further education to better themselves; there used to be a fixed dollar amount per year they gave members for this (eg. night class) - not sure if this is still around.

Power_Of_Rotary
10-08-2009, 09:35 PM
I did find some information on studies/further educations for advancements. Also has a 2000 a year education fund.

I only compare to HK, because it is why im not certain if CPS has a similar entrance policy, since the police system is based on britains standards.

We should have guessed he was an idiot by his 'Rotary' username :facepalm:

woah take it easy bud, the question i asked was merely...a question. not like im offending anyone here

by the way..why do u keep posting in this thread

Pollywog
10-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary

by the way..why do u keep posting in this thread
Why does he keep posting in general? :dunno:

97acura
10-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Why does he keep posting in general? :dunno:

Why do you hate yourself?

Pollywog
10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
^^ As you can see he never has anything productive, constructive, knowledgeable or even logical to say. See here (http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=&action=finduser&userid=65142).

Anyways, back on track -> Anybody else noticing a jump in the number of cruisers on the street? I've seen more cops on the road in the past 3 days then I have all year.:dunno:

TomcoPDR
10-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

And doesn't it seem like many of the cops you see nowadays have striking resemblances to people with authority issues from highschool?

I see a lot of "Jetson's Elroy" on the RCMP in small towns. Like young bucks straight from HS. Nothing wrong with it, some of them are jumpy as hell tho, always thinking someone's gonna jump 'em, compared to the older officers who knows they'll tazer the fuck outta you if you tried anything. http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/brands/0014/1871/brand.gif

On a good note, last week I was traveling 130-140 on a 100km/hr... 3am on a weekend (small town to small town), got pulled over (RCMP), I was pretty calm cuz I knew I was speeding, but he was super nice and professional, didn't give me any ticket. :thumbsup: This was like Oct 2, 3... so no stress on quotas yet... but nice guy none the less, one of my best pulled over experience.

Davetronz
10-08-2009, 11:13 PM
This thread is full of ignorance and fail... :rofl:

:facepalm:

Power_Of_Rotary
10-08-2009, 11:41 PM

Why do you hate yourself?

go away.

As a 5th level constable (entry level), what duties are included? such as vehicle patrol, emergency response etc.

I cant seem to find much information on the cps website (maybe its me?).

vancouver police has this statement: "Promotions are based on work performance, overall experience and education. Previous work or your educational background will enhance your suitability for transfer to specialty squads"

and heres the link for reference : http://vancouver.ca/police/recruiting/opportunities.htm

FraserB
10-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Imagine, we live in the day and age where there are telephones and organizations like the CPS have phone numbers and phones as well. But they probably wouldn't know the answer to your questions either.

:facepalm:

Rat Fink
10-09-2009, 12:19 AM

civic_ek4
10-09-2009, 12:50 AM
This is interesting.........

You can't really compare the two police force (HK VS CPS).

In HK, if you have a degree you can apply for the inspector position but doesn't mean you will get it. First you will need to pass an eye exam and you will need to pass a written Chinese tests. Trust me, local grad fail this test too. You go thru the whole interview process, group discussion, leadership............

Even if you do, you will only become a probationary inspector for a period of time. If you don't pass at the end you are de-rank back down to constables but at the highest pay scale.

My police friends in Canada would argue that if such a young freshman is given that high(er) of a rank they wouldn't have much street sense and interragtion skills.

Do you know what inspectors do in HK?

civic_ek4
10-09-2009, 12:57 AM
I have also seen in the past that different police services will hire for specific, i have seen EPS looking for ppl with accounting background for their commercial crime. and again the starting rank is still constables.