PDA

View Full Version : Best Mattress?

stealth
10-07-2009, 10:46 PM
So I am looking at buying a King sized bed, and was wondering what are some of the better brands of mattresses? What model is a good model?

ExtraSlow
10-08-2009, 07:12 AM
This is such a personal opinion as to which is "best."

Myself, I've found out that the mattress I bought last time has too much of a pillowtop, and your body sinks in too far, thus trapping arm air (and sweat) when it's hot out.
My next mattress will have little or no pillowtop.

r3ccOs
10-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Subjective

However as a general rule of thumb, sealy, serta are not quite as good as Simmoms when it comes down to their top of the line Beauty rest series

They have the most springs and the stiffest metal to allow for the best longevity and support for their pocket coils.

There are alot of new materess materials, ranging from Talalay Latex, closed/open cell memory foams, and even gel material beds.

I have a Kingsdown which has a little of each:
Pocket Coils in the center
Talalay latex around
Memory foam top
Silk Pillow top

That being said, and as mentioned above, its alot warmer than my old Simmons beauty rest which on hot summer nights I found uncomfortable.

So again its all preference

sputnik
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
http://www.hastens.com/en-us/

Prices start around $3000 USD and go up to around $20,000 USD.

ExtraSlow
10-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, if you don't have AC in your house, think long and hard before buying anything with too deep of a pillowtop or too soft of a matress. You'll sink in and it's heat death.

barmanjay
10-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
http://www.hastens.com/en-us/

Prices start around $3000 USD and go up to around $20,000 USD.

holy crap!!
I choked back tears from my wallet when i paid $1000 for our matress.

We went to sleep country and layed on various matressess for over an hour before we decided on a matress .

Revelation i had when i was paying (mainly to keep my sanity). You will have/use your bed alot longer than your car or any other piece of furniture.

T-Bone M5
10-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Go to a bunch of stores and find a model you like. Unfortunately, the the model names change from store to store, so you need to find one you like and write down the description of the layers, then shop around for samiliar models.

Personally, we just bought a Simmons Beautyrest. But our last bed was a Sealy and it was very comfortable for 7 years, but was starting to sag out a bit.

Too bad you can't try out the beds at Costco, they look like they are of good quality and at a reasonable price to boot.

msommers
10-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I'd really look into Halstead. They are a Calgary-based company and, despite me hating to work for them for all of maybe 3 weeks, they really do make a quality product. I've been thinking about picking up a new mattress and I'm almost 100% sure I'd go latex. You really do get what you pay for with these guys; Halstead isn't actually cheap though.

Do NOT bother with memory foam!

nj2Type-S
10-16-2009, 12:36 PM
i'm also in the market for a new mattress. i'm looking at a sealy posturepedic plush since i've previously slept on this mattress and i slept right when i got into bed. which stores should i consider going to?

dr_jared88
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i'm also in the market for a new mattress. i'm looking at a sealy posturepedic plush since i've previously slept on this mattress and i slept right when i got into bed. which stores should i consider going to?

Costco has one on-sale. Is this what you're looking for?
Link (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10313227&search=BC1012&Mo=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&cm_re=1-_-Quad5-_-bc1012&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=4008987&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&cat=1924&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=BC1012&Ntk=Text_Search&Ntt=BC1012&forcelang=en-CA&s=1&Sp=S&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1)

n1zm0
10-16-2009, 01:04 PM
me and the gf went straight to the simmons store near deerfoot meadows after much looking around town, got a 'cello plush' love it (until i can't get up in the morning sometimes, our old bed was absolute crap), out of all the mattress stores we went to, that one had the least pushy salesmen, they also delayed the payment plan for about 3 months on top of the don't pay for 4 months after a small deposit, so got it in june and have until december to pay the remainder. they also were saying built to order which i thought might be bs but they brought it in the house on time and very professionally.

literally every gdamned place we went to otherwise was such bs, at the brick, half the fken salesmen/women were sitting on the furniture inside chit-chatting and the salesman was just reaking of stetson man cologne , the guy @ sleepcountry on mactrail reminded me of old gill off simpsons, he looked like he was going to kill himself when i told him i'll check around first, he kept pushing and pushing for the totally opposite thing we wanted and the mattress depot on blackfoot there, the lady was on facebook, the employees lounging on the display furniture and when i laid on one of the 'coil kings' a plume of dust shot skyward like a miniature mushroom cloud.

T-Bone M5
10-16-2009, 02:41 PM
+1 for the Simmons Sleep Center in Deerfoot Meadows.

No BS like the Brick has to offer.

sputnik
10-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
Revelation i had when i was paying (mainly to keep my sanity). You will have/use your bed alot longer than your car or any other piece of furniture.

My grandmother would always say...

Don't cheap out on a good matress or pair of shoes... because if you aren't in one, you are in the other.

prae
10-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

My grandmother would always say...

Don't cheap out on a good matress or pair of shoes... because if you aren't in one, you are in the other.

equally appropriate with wives and mistresses.

revelations
10-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I'd really look into Halstead. They are a Calgary-based company and, despite me hating to work for them for all of maybe 3 weeks, they really do make a quality product. I've been thinking about picking up a new mattress and I'm almost 100% sure I'd go latex. You really do get what you pay for with these guys; Halstead isn't actually cheap though.

Not memory foam, but high-density foam mattresses (that come in various levels of firmness) are the way the rest of the people around the world sleep (europe, asia).
Not sure why we in NA decided sleeping on metal is the way to go.

I've had 2 high-density beds in the last 10 years and they are incredibly comfortable. Cheap too - I paid $400 for a queen bed in a 6" thick mattress last month. Get a egg-crate foam pillow topper if you like a soft initial layer.

nj2Type-S
10-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

Costco has one on-sale. Is this what you're looking for?
Link (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10313227&search=BC1012&Mo=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&cm_re=1-_-Quad5-_-bc1012&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=4008987&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&cat=1924&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=BC1012&Ntk=Text_Search&Ntt=BC1012&forcelang=en-CA&s=1&Sp=S&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1)

sweet! i'd have to check if they deliver since i don't own a truck. but thanks for the heads up!

ExtraSlow
10-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Not memory foam, but high-density foam mattresses (that come in various levels of firmness) are the way the rest of the people around the world sleep (europe, asia).
Not sure why we in NA decided sleeping on metal is the way to go.

I've had 2 high-density beds in the last 10 years and they are incredibly comfortable. Cheap too - I paid $400 for a queen bed in a 6" thick mattress last month. Get a egg-crate foam pillow topper if you like a soft initial layer.
I've never understood this either. Foam is cheap and simple to manufacture. I'll be looking into this for my next bed. Seems stupid to pay $3000 for a mattress if it's no better than a $400 one.

nonlinear
10-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by msommers

we have a halstead and it's awesome. we got it at their outlet center for like $500 (the mattress and box spring don't match, but whatever), but it's much more comfortable and better built than the more expensive bed we have. I will get all my beds here from now on.