PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with my intarwebz?

Gibson
10-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Alright, so...

The beginning of this story dates back to when I first got my Xbox 360. I would have no troubles signing into XBL, but once I actually started doing anything (playing a game, private chat, or a party) it would disconnect me within five minutes. I would have to manually reconnect and all would be well. It was never too much of a problem for me to actually do anything about.

Second part of the story: My Forza 2 would freeze on start up and I would have to restart my xbox. This seems irrelevant, but read on.

Third part of the story: At EXACTLY the same part where it would freeze, it now completely SHUTS DOWN MY MODEM.
There are four main lights on my modem: Power, status, ADSL, and Ethernet. The last three would
dissapear entirely and I would be unable to use the internet on my PC anymore. Ok, fine...manually restart the modem and I'm good to go. Except no, because after awhile it stopped being able to reconnect and would sit there forever with just the power light on.

Fourth part of the story: My internet has been sloooooow lately. My 360 is no longer connected to my router, it's just my PC running through there.

I called Telus and they said something was probably wrong with my modem, and xbox customer support said the same thing. They are sending me a new one.

My question is, is it possible that something is stealing my bandwidth and by turning on my Xbox, it's hitting some sort of limit and cutting me off completely?

Coles notes

Internet has minor problems but is useable --> My xbox causes my intarwebz to dissapear --> Internet is slow as fawk.

WTF?

Seanith
10-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I think XBOX is the fundamental problem here.

eblend
10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Seanith
I think XBOX is the fundamental problem here. [/QUOTE

i couldn't disagree more.

Are you running a router? I think it's a busted modem to tell you the truth, there is no reason why any equipment would just power off with ethernet. Get a new modem and try. Also the fact that you are with telus would explain why it's slow, Telus was never fast to begin with

Gibson
10-10-2009, 01:23 AM
So, contacted both Telus and Xbox customer support and they both said the same thing - that the modem was gone.

Telus sent me a brand new modem today, got it hooked up and it works like a charm.

Bit of an interesting sequence of events though..

Thanks guys!