PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Deputy fire chief avoids street-racing fine

urban.one
10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Deputy fire chief avoids street-racing fine
Published On Wed Oct 7 2009

A top Toronto fire official charged under street-racing laws has pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of speeding.

Deputy Fire chief Daryl Fuglerud admitted through his lawyer in provincial court in Cobourg on Wednesday that he drove 50 km/h over the speed limit on Hwy. 401 near Port Hope in June. He was fined $343.

Fuglerud, 53, was on his way to the funeral of a retired firefighter in the Kingston area when police clocked him driving a department SUV at 150 km/h. He was charged under the street-racing and stunt-driving legislation passed in May 2008.

Outside court his lawyer Robbie Levita said the "career man and family man" was not racing, stunting or driving at a "horrendous" speed. Levita couldn't explain why Fuglerud, who's been with the city's fire department for 28 years, was going so fast.

"He's extremely remorseful, that's why he pled guilty," Levita said, adding that Fuglerud ended up missing the funeral because the vehicle, which belongs to Toronto Fire Services, was impounded for seven days, and his licence was suspended for a week.

In an agreed statement of facts in the Ontario Court of Justice, police clocked the red Toyota Highlander from the air doing 143, 147 and 150 km/h in a 100 km/h zone.

If he had been convicted of racing, he would have faced a fine between $2,000 and $10,000.

OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino championed the street-racing law as a way to decrease the "senseless carnage" on Ontario highways, vowing it will do so "one irresponsible driver at a time."

Mar
10-08-2009, 11:24 AM
The guy's dead, he's not going to mind if you show up late. Slow down.

Super_Geo
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
^ Haha fuckin ice cold dude...

TurboD
10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
he should have been a cop, this wouldn't even have been reported.

scat19
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
1) Why is he in a department vehicle for personal affairs?

2) Why is the department car not crushed? (in the same law right? not sure)

3) How'd he get off the serious charges of street racing? As 50+ is instantly classified under the new act.

This is what pisses me off about "their own kind"

Fuckers. :barf: :whipped: :banghead: :thumbsdow :rolleyes:

eg_eric
10-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by scat19

3) How'd he get off the serious charges of street racing? As 50+ is instantly classified under the new act.

no kidding. if this was any other person, they would have bent them over.

97acura
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Mar
The guy's dead, he's not going to mind if you show up late. Slow down.

:werd:

Impreza
10-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Doesn't "racing" mean competing with another car(s). I don't know the facts, but let's say in this situation, the guy was driving 150km/hr with no other traffic on the road, that is still considered racing under Ontario law?

TurboD
10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Doesn't "racing" mean competing with another car(s). I don't know the facts, but let's say in this situation, the guy was driving 150km/hr with no other traffic on the road, that is still considered racing under Ontario law?

is it still called drag racing if you do a solo run at the track?

yes

if i line up on the highway, bounce off the two step and do an all out run to 150kms\h
yes this is still racing.

so I guess it could be argued that he was racing against the "clock."

chkolny541
10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by TurboD

is it still called drag racing if you do a solo run at the track?

yes

if i line up on the highway, bounce off the two step and do an all out run to 150kms\h
yes this is still racing.

so I guess it could be argued that he was racing against the "clock."

ZING

J NRG
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

nissanK
10-08-2009, 03:33 PM
^^so you're saying because he's done so much good, he gets to break the law? and then gets it lowered to a lesser fine anyway?

Holy hypocrites batman :banghead:

J NRG
10-08-2009, 03:46 PM

cherpintow
10-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I think this points out some of the holes with assuming anyone exceeding +50km over the limit is racing. This guy should definitely get fined and have some demerits but why should this be considered racing? It's a dumb law, and its fun to see the people who help initiate it fall victim to it.

spikerS
10-08-2009, 07:13 PM
he just did what you all do. he went and talked to the JP and had his fine and demerits reduced.

bunch of fuggin hypocrites i tells ya.

TurboD
10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by cherpintow
I think this points out some of the holes with assuming anyone exceeding +50km over the limit is racing. This guy should definitely get fined and have some demerits but why should this be considered racing? It's a dumb law, and its fun to see the people who help initiate it fall victim to it.

depends on what your definition of racing is.

some people consider a car that is moving fast to be "racing"

bawlls
10-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I would assume its not uncommon for people to have their street racing tickets reduced in Ontario, depending on situation.

Toma
10-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Racing is only done one way... against someone else.... or their time.

It is by definition a contest of speed.

Simply going x amount over the limit is in no way, shape or form in any reasonable humans mind... a "race".

CUG
10-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Ontario is full of fucking idiots...

That make stupid fucking laws like that.

J NRG
10-09-2009, 12:00 AM

TurboD
10-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Racing is only done one way... against someone else.... or their time.

It is by definition a contest of speed.

Simply going x amount over the limit is in no way, shape or form in any reasonable humans mind... a "race".

from dictionary.com

To transport rapidly or at top speed; rush: raced the injured motorist to the hospital.

To move rapidly or at top speed: We raced home. My heart was racing with fear.

Do your research before you make a claim based on a dictionary definition.

How is that so hard a concept to grasp.

You ever watched the gumball on tv, is their speed ever static?

You use the English language but yet you cannot grasp that words have more than one meaning in most cases.

Sugarphreak
10-09-2009, 08:14 AM

AG_Styles
10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
dont they take your car away automatically in that case anyways? I find it surprising he'd be able to show up in court and get it argued down either way.

DayGlow
10-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I find it interesting how people here get so irate over having stiff penalties for going 50 over the limit. Compare it to Germany, often held up as the mecca of motoring; true some parts of the Autobahns are unlimited, but most do have a limit of 130 ( I would love to see that here ), but going 30 over the limit anywhere there results in a 1 month suspension. So really, our laws are much more lax here.

gretz
10-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow
I find it interesting how people here get so irate over having stiff penalties for going 50 over the limit. Compare it to Germany, often held up as the mecca of motoring; true some parts of the Autobahns are unlimited, but most do have a limit of 130 ( I would love to see that here ), but going 30 over the limit anywhere there results in a 1 month suspension. So really, our laws are much more lax here.

They have autobahns though...

if the deerfoot was an unlimited speed limit road, there would be less people doing 50+ over in regulated areas.

Toma
10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
maybe in writing. Everytime I am In Germany... the ONLY people doing 130 are the cops in the slow lane.

They are not retarded enough to waste resources on shit that does not matter.

googe
10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Stupid law is stupid. I am glad he got off.

phil98z24
10-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by TurboD
he should have been a cop, this wouldn't even have been reported.

Actually, the OPP is getting a bit of a reputation for charging their own, along with other coppers under this legislation - along with stunting. Further to that here have been convictions as well. They are taking it pretty seriously, whether it's someone off duty or even on duty.

Originally posted by scat19

Refer to above. And BTW, I have never had a single "racing" charge under Alberta legislation EVER go through. Douchebag or normal person, it is ALWAYS pleaded down to speeding. I hope you don't really believe that it's because he's a firefighter, because most people get the same treatment.

I don't know the in's and out's of their laws, but something tells me the department won't have their vehicle crushed or confiscated for an abnormal time because it is a government vehicle and other people need to use it for regular duties. It's possible he has a department vehicle for personal usage, as most of our emergency services do, but if not I hope he gets strung up for that and they do it 2x worse for driving like an asshole.

J NRG
10-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Eleanor
10-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by cherpintow
its fun to see the people who help initiate it fall victim to it. I'm sure the deputy fire chief was on the traffic law enforcement committee that thought up that law :rolleyes:

DayGlow
10-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Toma

maybe in writing. Everytime I am In Germany... the ONLY people doing 130 are the cops in the slow lane.

They are not retarded enough to waste resources on shit that does not matter.

Sort of true. Talking to a friend in Germany, pretty much all of their speed enforcement is automated, but there is a lot of it everywhere there is a limit. Since they have front plates the picture gets the driver and plate, so the fines, points and suspensions are issued with a photo ticket.

Is that what you want here? I can't say it was you, but I know a lot of people here say they rather have an officer give a ticket than a machine.

Toma
10-10-2009, 08:57 AM

Sort of true. Talking to a friend in Germany, pretty much all of their speed enforcement is automated, but there is a lot of it everywhere there is a limit. Since they have front plates the picture gets the driver and plate, so the fines, points and suspensions are issued with a photo ticket.

Is that what you want here? I can't say it was you, but I know a lot of people here say they rather have an officer give a ticket than a machine.
I'd rather have reasonable limits.

130 would be a decent start with some leaway for cars... maybe 140-150. Trucks and anything over xxxx GVW should be limited to the 130...

Kind of like some States like Utah... 85mph for cars, 75 mph for trucks.

DayGlow
10-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I fully agree. I loved it in Florida and other states with 85 limits and transports had to stay out of the left lane. I would have no problem with higher expressway and rural limits.

I don't know if our urban limits are out of line for the most part. I will always maintain the problem is the difference in speed of vehicles on the roadway. It's dangerous to do 150 on deerfoot not because the speed itself is so outrageous, but because the majority of the vehicles are going around the limit for the most part.

Toma
10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
There are several areas in Calgary that are Clearly BS with their limits....

I dont keep a list, but once in a while I get smacked upside the head and realize... holy shit... that is retarded...

ie, Mcnight where it slows to 50 between Edmonton Trail and like 4th Street.... Duh.... and imagine that... A speed on Green Camera at Edmonton Trail heading East at the bottom of the hill.

The 50 on 16th going into Bowness.

50 anywhere on 16th. I was sitting at Emerald garden Restaurant, and was shocked how often the speed on green camera flashed... (eastbound 16th and 10th street nw...SAIT)

52nd SE of course.... south of 17th ave.

Bu I digress... from this and other threads like the parking backwards in stalls one, it strikes me how willing most people are to take getting fucked in the ass lying down, and accepting the BS and "tuths" like "it's for your own safety".