PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Winter Tire THREAD !!!

7thgenvic
10-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Well Everyone,

It's that time of the year when Calgary freaks out and goes crazy and sucks at driving/ decide to rock All-seasons during our Calgary winter. Like every year I'm one of those individuals who decides to rock a set of winters on my cars.

I would like to see what people are going to buy this year and why they decided to buy a certain tire.

My previous experience in the last 2 years has been.
1) LS400 (traction control + studded Pirelli Winter Carving Edge)
2) TSX (traction control + The Graspic DS-3 )

I have to replace the set on my TSX and I'm debating what would be the best all around tire. I'm considering price vs. value and whether of not to get another set of studded tires.

My LS400 had no problems with deep snow and ice with the studs but it seems like technology has replaced the use of studs.

What's everyones options?

- Michelin's X-Ice Xi2
- Blizzak WS60
- Winterforce Studdable Winter
- General AltiMAX Arctic
- Continental Extreme Winter Contact
- Kuhmo KW19 or KW27

Warm Regards,

stevieo
10-08-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm using general arctic altimax right now and they are serving me well. but i haven't used anyof those other ones.

can't believe snow is all crazy right now haha

ExtraSlow
10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd like to hear from anyone who's using studded tires. Obviously the grip on ice and packed snow would be pretty good, but how is it on slushy snow or wet pavement? Significantly reduced?
I've used crappy winter tires, which sucked
Good winter tires, which rocked,
Crappy All seasons, which were terrible
and decent all seasons, which were better than I expected.

Never tired studs though.

rpalm35
10-08-2009, 07:09 PM
We just bought some Michelin X-ice Xi2 for our G37x coupe. Pretty excited to see how they perform.

7thgenvic
10-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'd like to hear from anyone who's using studded tires. Obviously the grip on ice and packed snow would be pretty good, but how is it on slushy snow or wet pavement? Significantly reduced?
I've used crappy winter tires, which sucked
Good winter tires, which rocked,
Crappy All seasons, which were terrible
and decent all seasons, which were better than I expected.

Never tired studs though.

Studded tires I think made a huge distance. Before I moved to Europe I was driving from DeWinton to the University of Calgary daily. I actually NEVER had problems leaving my house or driving on hard pack or ice. On a hard brake you could hear the studs grinding the ice and the car rarely slid. Every time I read reviews on tire rack they explain how technology and new silica based compounds have been designed to replace "traditional" studs

inline6turbo
10-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Everyone read this post and just accept it as fact! :D

Nokian Hakkapellitta RSi tires are the best. Bar none.

This is my third winter on them.

First year - RWD Mustang 5.0L = No problems at all
Second year - RWD Rx7 FD3S = No problems at all, towed a AWD subaru UPHILL when it got stuck. Not a joke, many witnesses.

This year they're going on my 5.0L again. Never had a spin out, never got stuck, never slid when stopping, never stuck when starting from a light. AND they're in general less expensive then brand name tires like Bridgestone and Michelin because theyre not that well known yet.

Aston Martin achieved the world land speed record over snow and ice on these tires (they were studded).

My whole family has swtiched and never gone back!

:closed: hahaha

911driver
10-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Hankook ICE BEARs. = THE BEST

Had them on my 545i last year, were better than anything else I have ever used!! Great on ICE, drove on the hiway a couple times, but mostly in the city and the Henday. 3 of my buddies ran them last year on there BMWs, from what I know they all loved them.

PS. This year I ordered a set for my Porsche, planning to drive it at least a few times, considering I have AWD. Just hate all the damn gravel they through on the roads.

Got mine from buywintertires.ca They were pretty fast, and super cheap. I paid under $1000 for the set, and I am running 225/40R18 and 265/35R18
**they dont have much listed, I had to email them, shitty designed site!

Sakui77
10-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Goodyear Ultragrip Ice is what i'm rolling on

bjstare
10-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, I just want to say, unless you've tried every single winter tire on the market, for a whole season, your not necessarily well informed enough to say they are the best.:)

Having said that, I've had great experiences with the Michelin X-Ice on my Honda Accord. Never got stuck, and they stopped like the car was on dry pavement. My parents are rocking them on one of their vehicles as well, and love them.

nobb
10-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Ive got some Blizzak WS-50s on my FWD sedan and they are AMAZING. They claim (Tire Rack I think) the tube multicell technology used on these tires is supposed to outperform a studded tire, but Ive never had studded tires and Im really curious if that is true. The only downside to owning something as extreme as the Blizzaks is that they seem soft and Im worried they will wear out faster seeing as how Calgary's weather can change from being cold to hot randomly.

I also think proper weight distribution is important too. Our minivan with all season Michelin Symmetry tires out performs our RWD truck with Kumho KW11 winter tires. Ill try some sandbangs this winter to see if it makes a difference. The KW11s seem to get great reviews, but the tread doesnt look that aggressive compared to my Blizzaks.

Redlyne_mr2
10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
For a second I thought this was the classic but always hated "when do I put my winter tires on thread". I was ready to stop being friends with you 7thgencivic.

austic
10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Michelin's X-Ice Xi2 on order. heard nothing but good things about them

EK 2.0
10-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

For a second I thought this was the classic but always hated "when do I put my winter tires on thread". I was ready to stop being friends with you 7thgencivic.

I am sure we can find a less important reason to stop being friends with him...

I am all about the Kumho KW-19....

98type_r
10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
used blizzak's for 8 years on my integra and never got stuck once even during the most epic snowfalls.

Aleks
10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
General Altimax on the Forester
Dunlop Wintersports 3D on the WRX :burnout:

The_Rural_Juror
10-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Pirelli Sottozeros this year. So far so good.

Deetz
10-08-2009, 08:30 PM
After switching from X Ice over to" Toyo GO2+" tires about 5 years ago with positive results being night and day, i have been running them them on the last 3 vehicles

Thumbs up from me :thumbsup:

rockym20
10-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Had Blizzak's on my Volvo and they were unbelievably good on show and ice, but very soft and had a lot of sidewall flex when it warmed up.

Have Hankook W409's (Ipike) on my BMW. A step down from the Blizzaks on ice and hard pack. Quite a bit worse in deep snow. However, they have stiff sidewalls and much better dry performance that I was expecting - as good as an all season. Plus they don't seem to have shown much wear & will easily last 2 - 3 seasons.

510-Trevor
10-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I have the Michelin's on my 4000lb + Charger.
First used them last winter, I really like the way they work on my car. I just put them back on this morning.

inline6turbo
10-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Well, I just want to say, unless you've tried every single winter tire on the market, for a whole season, your not necessarily well informed enough to say they are the best.:)

Having said that, I've had great experiences with the Michelin X-Ice on my Honda Accord. Never got stuck, and they stopped like the car was on dry pavement. My parents are rocking them on one of their vehicles as well, and love them.

Well...

I've had 32 cars all with various winter tires, some FWD, some AWD, most RWD

I've driven on:
X-Ice
Artic Claw
Blizzak
Ipike
and a couple others

Ones I can say I have NOT tried, the Kuhmos and Pirellis.

I used to work at Kal Tire for a year, start and end in winter season. Did extensive training in winter tires. All the top safety picks, consumer reports, customer feedback, manufacturing and construction information on most winter tires.

I might have a tad bit more info on this subject but the only thing it boils down to is personal choice and brand comfort.

TorqueDog
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't rock winter tires for two reasons:
1. Don't drive enough to warrant spending the money on them.
2. I've driven torquey, fat-tire'd RWD cars in winter climates since I was 17, most of them with really light rear ends. In short, I genuinely don't need 'em.

However, I did have a set of Michelin X-Ice tires on one of my FWD company vehicles back in the day, and they were killer tires.

G-ZUS
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I loved my Kumho KW-19's on my Civic last year, My Nokian Hakkapelitas on my Accord the year before and this year I got KW-21's on the Accord. Last year I was passing SUV's, trucks and vans getting stuck and I'd get by like it was nothing.

max_boost
10-08-2009, 10:28 PM
First things first, any winter tire will be better than no winter tire, even the garbage generic ones.

Secondly, what is it that you need most out of a tire? That will determine what the 'best' tire is for you?

Do you need maximum snow traction? Do you want to maintain some dry road performance? You have to match the tire to the car folks, remember that. Generally, the lower the speed rating, the better for the deep stuff.

2009 WRX265, T-rated Michelin Xi2, speed rating up to 190kms/h. My wife drives this car and she prefers more snow traction and will forgo some of the dry road performance. I'll say, when roads are dry, you can't go too fast, it's kind of wobbly.

2006 WRX, H-rated Michelin PA2, speed rating up to 210kms/h. Now this is the 'BEST' tire for ME. Why? It works great in the snow but even when it's warm and roads are dry, I don't notice much of a difference. I can still drive fast even though I am on winter tires.

If all you care about is how well it performs on snow, pick up a Q-rated tire. Speed rated up to only 160kms/h for a reason, you can't go fast but they are the 'BEST' for snow. In my experiences, Blizzak MZ03 and WS50 were fantastic Q-rated tires.

If I had to work another job, I would sell tires and Subaru's.

max_boost
10-08-2009, 10:33 PM
L 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires
M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

Q,R,S,T will do for most.

H,V if you drive a sports car and still want to go fast, say when the chinook rolls around and it gets to +10 in the middle of winter. :burnout:

2EFNFAST
10-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Blizzak's here for the last 8yrs on my DD. No problems at all.

Drsuce
10-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Will be installing 4x 245/45R17 Toyo Observe Garit KX on my beater on tuesday. From what i've read they do very well in deep snow! Exactly what i will need to drive back roads to airdrie every day :P

I have finaly run my Bridgestone WS-50's into the ground, they lasted 5 seasons (including this summer). They were by far the best winter tire i have run to date! great on ice and deep snow, and still had lots of "feel" as to where the limit was.

I had run 1st gen michelin x-ice before the bridgestones, after 1 season they were down to about 50% and i sold them for $20 each *shrug* great on ice.... horrible on dry roads and snow :( **very soft tires**

V6-BoI
10-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Going with the Blizzak LM60's this year. Heard nothing but good things about Blizzak so I'll see how it goes.

7thgenvic
10-08-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm really curious how many of us base our decision off sites like tirerack.com

I often watch their videos and read their test results....

I think for the majority of us, we all want "the best snow and ice" tire. During winter I don't really care for a tire that is 'high performance' speed rated tire. I drive like a old woman with cataracts when it dumps. Its really nice to have a large dump and be abel to make it anywhere.

I also do alot of mountain driving in the winter time. I think I'll be taking that into consideration.

Who else has used nokian? spelling*

FishPoo
10-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Got a new set of toyo garit kx's installed last week, so far so good. Running high speeds on dry pavement is a bit wobblier though.... other than that, I've never had winters, so I'm curious to see if there's a significant difference.

DannyO
10-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Currently running Pirelli 240 Snowsports, there alright in the winter, but like said above, there a tyre that I got also due to still being good when the roads are clear, V rated w00t.

SCHIDER23
10-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by inline6turbo

Second year - RWD Rx7 FD3S = No problems at all, towed a AWD subaru UPHILL when it got stuck. Not a joke, many witnesses.

This year they're going on my 5.0L again. Never had a spin out, never got stuck, never slid when stopping, never stuck when starting from a light. AND they're in general less expensive then brand name tires like Bridgestone and Michelin because theyre not that well known yet.

Aston Martin achieved the world land speed record over snow and ice on these tires (they were studded).

:werd:

I tried Blizzard, Michelin and I do agree they are excellent tires, but are a bit on the soft side which is what I hate when it gets warm. I been running the RSI for 3 seasons now on one of my cars, my father has also been running them for the past 2 seasons and they been solid. I been debating if I should get a set for my G37x if I decided to drive it in the winter :thumbsup:

cityhunter2501
10-09-2009, 06:52 AM
getting installed blizzak lm-25 on my wrx tuesday, 1st time for my driving with winter tires on, before I would only use all-season.

urban.one
10-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Michelin X-Ice 2 here.

n1zm0
10-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Toyo observe G02s every year except for this one, dunlop graspics came with my 'new' winter beater.

Impreza
10-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Getting my LM25's put on today hopefully! Shuould be a great tire. I believe they are V-rated too. Ideally, I would have gone for something a little different, but they were on sale at Tirerack, so no complaints here.

Travel_Dude
10-09-2009, 08:32 AM

Where do I buy them?

Abeo
10-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Kal Tire

bituerbo
10-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Kumho KW19 IzenWIS 185/70R14

Currently I'm running the Kumho KW19 tire with studs. Bought them from CMS, 14" were less than $400 for all four, installed.

I think they are phenomenal. They caught my attention because they copied the tread pattern of winter tires I used to own but are no longer offered: the Hakkapeliitta 1 by Nokian. I had those on my Mazda MX-6 years ago and could pull around the snow-plow in 8" of fresh stuff and mash the go pedal and not lose traction.

Since getting the KW19's I've noticed that a lot of rally guys use them. The 'snow' tread also works great for gripping on gravel since the tread blocks are spaced slightly further apart than you would see on your typical winter tire. Definitely get them studded as the tread pattern is for snow, not ice. The tread blocks do have sipes but not enough to give you 'amazing' traction on ice. This will be my 2nd season with them on the neon.

Some pics (taken when I did my srt4 suspension install):

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4843/settled.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1899/rearcomp.jpg

max_boost
10-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
I'm really curious how many of us base our decision off sites like tirerack.com

I often watch their videos and read their test results....

I think for the majority of us, we all want "the best snow and ice" tire. During winter I don't really care for a tire that is 'high performance' speed rated tire. I drive like a old woman with cataracts when it dumps. Its really nice to have a large dump and be abel to make it anywhere.

I also do alot of mountain driving in the winter time. I think I'll be taking that into consideration.

Who else has used nokian? spelling*

In your scenario, definitely go for the best snow and ice tire available. Yeah I've never tried those Nokian Hakka.....but there must be some merit to the claims if everyone who has had them says their the best. If you are hardcore, you can find a set of tires that are studdable, that would definitely take an even bigger bite out of the snow/ice haha

I use a performance winter tire because my car has 280hp, AWD and more importantly, we live in Calgary where we could get warm temperatures and snow less in the middle of winter haha

Again, match the tire to your car and driving needs.

:thumbsup: :burnout:

bjstare
10-09-2009, 12:09 PM

Well...

I've had 32 cars all with various winter tires, some FWD, some AWD, most RWD

I've driven on:
X-Ice
Artic Claw
Blizzak
Ipike
and a couple others

Ones I can say I have NOT tried, the Kuhmos and Pirellis.

I used to work at Kal Tire for a year, start and end in winter season. Did extensive training in winter tires. All the top safety picks, consumer reports, customer feedback, manufacturing and construction information on most winter tires.

I might have a tad bit more info on this subject but the only thing it boils down to is personal choice and brand comfort.

Ok, ok, you win:D

Seriously tho, I didn't doubt your judgement. My post wasn't completely serious, and more aimed toward 911driver haha

syeve
10-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I actually LOVE driving winter driving. AWD, V8, 6 speed and Blizzac's = fun

T-Bone M5
10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Mich X-Ice seem to do very well on snow and Ice. I've had them on both mine and the wife's car for 4 seasons. The X-Ice 2 is supposed to have even better treadwear and good dry pavement performance.

This year, the new Mazda5 will get some General Altimax Arctic's, they look pretty burly and have good reviews. Great value as well! We'll see how is goes with them.

max_boost
10-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Hey Miss, so I'm all curious about these Nokian tires, in short, what are the major differences between the Hakka 4, Hakka 5, Hakka R, Hakka RSI? Figure you might know :)

Or is the RSI just the 'BEST' haha

japan_us
10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Been rocking the Nokian WR G2s for the past two winters. I drive almost every day and have never had any issues getting stuck, sliding, etc. They also don't get chewed up by asphalt as quickly as most winter tires, which is good since we often have dry roads during the winter.

inline6turbo
10-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Hey Miss, so I'm all curious about these Nokian tires, in short, what are the major differences between the Hakka 4, Hakka 5, Hakka R, Hakka RSI? Figure you might know :)

Or is the RSI just the 'BEST' haha

Well I'm glad you asked!

haha oh my.

I'll give you a quick run down and not bother going in depth and then why I think RSi is the best out of the bunch, which are all fantastic. There's a ton of little features I could mention, but I'll stick with the main ones.

The 5 and 4 are studded tires. 5 is the new one, introduced just over a year ago.
They both have the square studs, where the tip points forward (studs were always round before). So the studs grip a lot better with the sharp edge biting in.
The 4 is very similar to the 5 but has different sipe edges that help in slushy conditions.

5 I would recommend for anyone living up further north, and not in the chinook climate, where packed heavy snow is prominent, that's what they're best at. The 4 I'd recommend to anyone in a backcountry area, maybe like Bearspaw, where the roads out to their house can be packed heavy snow, but then they get to the main roads and it's all slush from the chinook.
Downsides to both are the same, road noise from the studs, and poor gas mileage. Although, these studs are a unique variety, with soft rubber bases that give the stud room to move up into the tire in dry conditions to lessen the noise. So they are one of the quietest studded tires, if not THE quietest.

The R is the newly desined RSi.
They both have industry leading fuel efficiency for winter tires, and rated worlds leading unstudded winter tire.
The R has a bit less rolling resistance then the RSi. Has sharper edges for cornering, and is upgraded sipes to accomodate for wet ice conditions. Hand in hand with better fuel efficiency is road noise. RSi's and Rs are extremely quiet. You won't have the humming noise common to tires like the Xice and Blizzak (this is due to the solid center section as opposed to blocks). Also with this comes stability. You'll notice you don't have that unstable feeling you get with cheepo tires around corners. So you don't lose that sporty feeling.

When I left Kal Tire the Rs were just coming in along with the WRG2s, so I never got my hands on any. The only reason I'd say the RSi are still better is because the price is lower (or should be) then the Rs. But I'd nab a set of Rs if I didn't have Rsi's already.

So I recommend either of the Rs or the RSi as the best tires for us Calgarians and Edmontonians because of our climate. If we lived in Saskatoon I'd say the 4s. We need tires that handle in all conditions because one day it'll snow 2 feet, freeze to ice overnight, and melt to thick slush the next day and then be completely dry. We have to much dry winter to justify a city car having studs, to much deep power to just have all seasons.

inline6turbo
10-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by japan_us
Been rocking the Nokian WR G2s for the past two winters. I drive almost every day and have never had any issues getting stuck, sliding, etc. They also don't get chewed up by asphalt as quickly as most winter tires, which is good since we often have dry roads during the winter.

That's because the G2 is an "all weather" tire. It's a summer performer as well as winter rated. Best all season ever. Oh yes it is.

Only winter rated tire with over 100,000kms guarantee :)

alloroc
10-09-2009, 04:13 PM
'The best' all comes down to application ;P

http://www.vermontracing.com/projects/project_steve/702/ice_racing_tires/ice_tires_one/bolts_tire.jpg

japan_us
10-09-2009, 04:22 PM

That's because the G2 is an "all weather" tire. It's a summer performer as well as winter rated. Best all season ever. Oh yes it is.

Only winter rated tire with over 100,000kms guarantee :)

I love 'em! Can't wait to put them on again since they're better in the winter than my crappy summer tires are in the summer! lol

RaptorGJC
10-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm getting Blizzak WS60's this winter, first winter tires I've ever bought. Never involved in a collision while rocking the all seasons for 5 winters. I just want to see what the hype is all about this time around :D

phil98z24
10-09-2009, 07:39 PM

corsvette
10-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I just bought a set of Bridgestone Winter Duelers(265/70/17) for the wife's yukon,first time i have bought winters for the truck so i cant wait to see what they are like.

CokerRat
10-11-2009, 06:17 PM
This will be my 2nd winter on a set of runflat Dunlop Wintersport M3's on a 335i. They worked great last year. I haven't run enough different winter tires on comparable vehicles to be able to make meaningful comparisons, but I put a lot of stock in wet and dry performance (in addition to ice) since that's what most higher-speed roads in Calgary winters tend to be for the majority of days during the winter season.

mdeleon
10-11-2009, 10:42 PM

I was beginning to wonder why no one says anything about Nokians. I have All weather Nokians on my car and am very surprised how well they perform compared to My buddy's Audi who has winter tires on. I think I'll be getting some Winter Nokian's and from your post inline6turbo, I'll be getting either an R or RSi.

r3ccOs
10-12-2009, 01:06 AM
I like my Nokian WR's especially the new ones

That being said, they aren't full out winter tires, but defiantely work great for Calgary's sporatic climate.

Last winter, my buddy's SX4 with the WRs performed admirably... great all around vehicle for the winter

We've gone through and up some pretty steep and deep stuff... having a locking center diff is hard to find in a "car"

Zenshi
10-12-2009, 03:56 PM
So where can I buy some Nokian's without getting raped for them. (ie; kal tire)

VWEvo
10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Just got a set of Hankook RW11 IPIKES, STUDDED!!!

Ordered them with matte black rims in 18" for $1525, shipped, taxes, duty, everything...

These are for my Tundra BTW, definately looking forward to these.

7thgenvic
10-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
Just got a set of Hankook RW11 IPIKES, STUDDED!!!

Ordered them with matte black rims in 18" for $1525, shipped, taxes, duty, everything...

These are for my Tundra BTW, definately looking forward to these.

What size is that? And where did you order from.

After reading all the info. I might order myself some Nokian... Who sells locally. And If not I might do tire rack

One piece of advice.

I was going to order from Tirerack.com and use a friends Fedex account....They will only use their account to ship tires...WEIRD.

Has anyone else had problems with shipping from those guys?

7thgenvic
10-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by T-Bone M5
Mich X-Ice seem to do very well on snow and Ice. I've had them on both mine and the wife's car for 4 seasons. The X-Ice 2 is supposed to have even better treadwear and good dry pavement performance.

This year, the new Mazda5 will get some General Altimax Arctic's, they look pretty burly and have good reviews. Great value as well! We'll see how is goes with them.

I agree with the Altimax Arctics' I have a couple friend rocking out on these and they do a ton os mountain driving for skiing. Never had problems and they didn't feel "too" soft on dry roads which is also a concern for Calgary winters'

Eken9
12-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Michelin X-Ice tires are the best I've used so far...Those were such a blast to drive in the winter. Gripped, handled and braked in snow/ice exceptionally well. They're a tad expensive but if you have the money, prepare to have alot of FUN in the winter lol. Was like driving in a rally.

Kuhmo KW19 I'm finding these to be ok. They grip and brake good in snow & ice. My biggest issue with these is the weak side walls. Any sort of turn or even the most modest of turns will have you break the tires. You of course learn to drive them once you discover this. With this issue it sort of just takes the fun factor and maneuverability out of it.

Falkin Ziex ZE-912 All seasons. Drove these in the winter one season and although tolerable. It became a chore to drive with these. Once the temperatures dipped it was almost like they became bricks. Did very poorly on ice and deep snow, you can get stuck pretty easy if you're not careful. Have gotten stuck with these tires a few times last year in either slush or very modest snow piles.

01RedDX
12-11-2009, 07:51 PM

anhsicun
12-11-2009, 08:40 PM

After reading all the info. I might order myself some Nokian... Who sells locally. And If not I might do tire rack

One piece of advice.

I was going to order from Tirerack.com and use a friends Fedex account....They will only use their account to ship tires...WEIRD.

did u find any local shop or online that sold the Nokian Hakkapellitta RSi ?

also anyone have any exprience with Federal Himalaya WS2-SL ?

03ozwhip
12-12-2009, 04:03 PM
id like some help if possible. ive called around to some shops but im not getting any help. i dont wanna spend an arm and leg for them as i dont know how long ill be keeping the SUV but want something decent.

the hakks dont come in my size (255/60r17) there arent any blizzaks anywhere and im new to winters altogether as ive never had them on any of my cars. its an AWD with odd size tires so im kind of limited. anyone have any suggestions?

max_boost
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM

One piece of advice.

Nokians are expensive as fuck! LOL!

I am running a set of 225/40/18 Hankook Ice Bears (V-rated high performance tire) for my SLK and they are OK. Cost me $950 2 years ago. I'm thinking about switching to Nokian Hakka R's because the Ice Bears don't really grip that well and got a price quote of $1750 from Kal Tire. :eek:

I used Tire Rack to ship a tire to my company and it took 1 week. Arrived via UPS, brokerage, duties was all included in the final price at checkout.

The_Rural_Juror
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Have you tried Costco? They might have some Michelin X-Ice2 in stock.

Canmorite
12-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Have these on my Subaru. Awesome tires!!

max_boost
12-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
id like some help if possible. ive called around to some shops but im not getting any help. i dont wanna spend an arm and leg for them as i dont know how long ill be keeping the SUV but want something decent.

the hakks dont come in my size (255/60r17) there arent any blizzaks anywhere and im new to winters altogether as ive never had them on any of my cars. its an AWD with odd size tires so im kind of limited. anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried Tire Rack? Or 1010 tires to see what's available?

For starters, if you want a good snow tire, stick to anything that's speed rated, Q, R, S, T.

If you want a snow tire with dry road performance, H or V.

After driving around today, -25, it's actually not that slippery out. Any winter tire should do. It helps so much that the City went out and did their winter duties. A lot of crap on the roads but makes for easier driving haha

Danny Meehan
12-12-2009, 04:38 PM
since am not living in quebec or far east, stock tires are good on both so far

03ozwhip
12-12-2009, 04:55 PM
who sells falkens in calgary?

A3GTiVR6SC
12-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Quick question... is it true that studded winter tires on ONLY the drive wheels of a 2wd vehicle would cause premature transmission wear/failure if the other two wheels were all seasons? :dunno:

Rumour or fact?

H4LFY2nR
12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
^It sounds like a rumor analogous to putting sticky racing slicks on a car with a weaker driveline. With increased traction on the drive wheels, the peak reaction torque on the drive axles and transmission before tire slip increases as well. This increases the maximum attainable loads through all the components of the drivetrain, possibly past the designed fatigue load limits resulting in premature wear or failure.

The traction of the non-driven wheels would have no effect on the driven wheels, and on dry pavement or ice the studded tires would not have anywhere close to the grip needed to break a transmission.

As for putting different tires on each end of a car, it's not a good idea. Significant engineering goes into making sure that your production car understeers like a bitch in all traction limit reactions. That's why they always say "if you're only buying two winter tires put them on the rear, even on a FWD" because at the traction limit it will understeer like crazy, but at least understeer is a self-limiting reaction (the driver doesn't have to do anything for it to correct itself). Put winter tires on all four corners, cause all your steering and braking is done with the front tires, and you need the rear traction for yaw stability.

That.Guy.S30
12-13-2009, 12:28 AM
i am on nokians. i will never buy another winter tire. ive tried kumhos, blizzaks, x-ice, toyo.
and BY FAR i would pick the nokians any day. you can only get them at kal tire. the type of traction on snow and ice in my rwd SUV is mind boggling.

scat19
12-17-2009, 04:20 PM
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608459

CivicCoupe09
01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
bump looking for a place that will remove my winter tires (with rims), and put my all seasons on when the time arrives for a good price...CT wants 42 bucks..

sillysod
01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by scat19
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608459

Wow, didn't expect to read this...

A wide, low profile or large tire has to "plow" a wide path through snow which causes more resistance. The narrower the tire, the easier you can get through snow. It is also important to verify sufficient load capacity and the appropriate diameter for your vehicle. However the 225 width is not considered extremely wide and works well in many instances including the conditions you mentioned. In our testing both the Michelin X-Ice XI2 and the Blizzak WS60 out performed studded tires cornering, accellerating and braking on an ice skating rink

max_boost
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

Wow, didn't expect to read this...

Out performed what kind of studded tires? Or does that matter?

I've had both the WS60 and X-Ice (2) before and both are great on snow but the X-Ice had the edge on dry road capabilities.

schocker
01-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by CivicCoupe09
bump looking for a place that will remove my winter tires (with rims), and put my all seasons on when the time arrives for a good price...CT wants 42 bucks..

I dont think you will see much cheaper than that.
When I had to get my winters put on my stock rims, they were the cheapest out of everyone. Call the CT at beacon hill though if that is close. They were cheaper than the price quoted to me by the one near northland mall which I found weird.