PDA

View Full Version : Cost to re-key vehicles?

RotaryPower
10-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I lost my whole lanyard with all my keys for my cars on it, and me being so smart, never bothered to get spare keys cut.. so, all my vehicles are sitting in my driveway, not being able to be driven.

How much does it generally cost to have someone come and re-key doors/ignitions?

Xamim
10-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Copy down the VIN and go to the dealer, they'll cut new keys for you. No need to re-key.

dj_rice
10-08-2009, 10:28 PM
If its one of those Intelligent keys like on a Infiniti/Nissan, chipped key costs $108ish, FOB is $110, and it needs to be reprogrammed to the car, service charges $130ish

RotaryPower
10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
One is a 91 jdm roadster, can they do vin search to get keys cut for that as well:dunno:

None of my vehicles are high-end, so no chipped keys either

Deetz
10-08-2009, 11:23 PM
i can cut any Honda/Acura key at Silverhill, you just need a vin and proof of ownership

A non chipped key is about $15 for key and cut using an oem key, or less for a non name

Shlade
10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
umm depending on the car... some dealerships do not cut keys for certain cars anymore.

When i had to get some keys made for my 88 mustang the dealership told me they couldnt because the car was so old.

G-ZUS
10-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Deetz
i can cut any Honda/Acura key at Silverhill, you just need a vin and proof of ownership

A non chipped key is about $15 for key and cut using an oem key, or less for a non name

T&T Honda charges $9 for an original key

Deetz
10-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

T&T Honda charges $9 for an original key

And we charge $7.15 for ours.

It's $15 "with" the cut

AndyL
10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Generally the cars do come with a keycode located on some paperwork, a key cylinder, or stamped somewhere in the car - depends on make model year as to where its located... But if you can get the code, pretty much any of that brands dealer - and most locksmiths can cut to the code...

Toyota's typically the passenger side key cylinder; Vdub is inside the drivers door handle.

spike98
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
IIRC from when i lost my only key in my 94 cavi, if you pull a door cylinder and take it to a reputable locksmith he should be able to cut a key for you.

They way he discribed it (i think) is that they start out with a make/model/year base shape then tune it to suit the lock afterwards.

He was able to look up the code based on the make/model/year but after he cut it using that it became apparent that it was re-keyed sometime in its past.

He only charged like $50 to do. Which is far cheaper than the time and labour for a whole re-key.

G-ZUS
10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Deetz

And we charge $7.15 for ours.

It's $15 "with" the cut

Holy shit T&T Honda is $9 all said and done out the door.

ga16i
10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Has anyone actually tried to get a dealer to cut you a key with just the VIN? I tried this when I first bought the '91 240, and no luck. Sunridge Nissan said they didn't keep such records. Ended up finding a keycode written inside the manual.