PDA

View Full Version : Are snow tires necessary

Sally.Simpson
10-09-2009, 01:14 PM
I've got a 2005 Freestar minivan with all-season tires. I'd like to find out if it's necessary to get snow tires. I've been told they will cost me around $600 in total installed.

On one hand, I want my family to be safe, and my driving instructor said they were necessary.

On the other hand, I've had several friends tell me that for city driving within Calgary, they're mostly unnecessary provided I exercise care when I drive and leave lots of space.

What do you guys think?

beyond_ban
10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
All you need is a good set of all seasons and driving skill. Take it easy, don't swerve or corner hard and all will be well.

89s1
10-09-2009, 01:21 PM
"Driving skill" is to be taken with a grain of salt, as I'm sure most of us know even horrible drivers think they are the cat's ass when behind the wheel.

Abeo
10-09-2009, 01:23 PM
It costs the same in the long run to have a set of winter tires, with the added benefit of more control in the winter. The freestar has enough heft to it to be ok with all seasons in the winter, but I'd play it safe myself, especially if I was hauling a family around. I'd pay extra for the shorter stopping distances.

JAYMEZ
10-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Yes winter tires are a must. We live in Calgary , we have very icy and cold winters... All seasons are fine in Vancouver..

Everyone of my cars has Winters.. $600 is cheap compared to sliding and smashing my car up.

lint
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
once you've driven with winter tires, you'll never go back. I'd say that winters will last a good 4-5 years typically, amortize the cost over that time period. If you avoid just one accident, they've paid for themselves. Not to mention peace of mind.

Neil4Speed
10-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Yes winter tires are a must. We live in Calgary , we have very icy and cold winters... All seasons are fine in Vancouver..

Everyone of my cars has Winters.. $600 is cheap compared to sliding and smashing my car up.

Originally posted by lint
once you've driven with winter tires, you'll never go back. I'd say that winters will last a good 4-5 years typically, amortize the cost over that time period. If you avoid just one accident, they've paid for themselves. Not to mention peace of mind.

Both of these statements sum up the importance of winter tires.

Definitely worth every penny.

cityhunter2501
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I've driven the past 2-3 years with a lowered integra and all-season tires.
I would get stuck in back alleys pretty often too, but never had any problems driving even during the sudden blizzard storm we got last year.

but since I'm driving a newer and more powerful car now, I'd rather spend the extra $ to lower my chance with accidents

Criticull
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Winter tires all the way. It's not like your all-seasons are wearing down when your winters are on, so the added cost is not that substantial. Totally worth it, that's why so many people use them.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 01:31 PM

:confused: I go through Blizzaks and Graspics every 1 1/2 to 2 years...

To the OP, its simple physics, do some research on rubber compounds and hardness versus temperature and the resultant grip. Is your life, or your family's life worth the risk by improperly preparing for the season? If we lived anywhere else and just got a quick dump every so often and rarely below 0*C, all-seasons would be on my ride too - but we don't. Where we live it gets really hot, and then really cold, and a tire that is in the middle will suck at both.

The winter tires versus all season tires debate has been hotly contested for decades. While both types of tires have their advantages and disadvantages, how can a driver decide which solution is best for their situation?

Winter presents some of the harshest and most challenging weather conditions a motorist will ever face. Cold temperatures, packed snow and ice reduce traction and increase stopping distances, while blowing snow can lower visibility to almost zero. Winter driving requires special attention and the ability to adapt to weather and road conditions that can change in a matter of moments.

Naturally, not everyone lives in such a harsh climate. In many parts of the world, the worst parts of a winter can be summed up as cold snaps and occasional dustings of light snow. If this is the case in your area, all season tires could be your best choice. Designed to provide a balance between dry pavement, warm weather performance and cold weather traction, all season tires are perfect for most driving conditions. While not possessing the stickier rubber compounds of high performance tires, nor the sub-zero safety of winter tires, all seasons are a compromise. They allow for a good wearing tire that will provide a reasonable level of safety in inclement winter conditions. A further benefit of all season tires is that your tire costs are cut in half, as you only need to buy one set of tires per vehicle.

If you happen to dwell where temperatures regularly drop below freezing, however, all season tires are no longer a safe option. The rubber compound in all season tires is not designed to be operated at temperatures that are regularly below the freezing point - it becomes hard and stiff and no longer possesses adequate traction on either tarmac or snow and ice. It is in these conditions that winter tires shine. Specially formulated rubber allows winter tires to remain supple and grip into ice and frozen pavement. Winter tires also possess a much more aggressive tread pattern that cuts into packed snow.

As with any specialized tire, there are of course, trade offs. One noticeable difference between winter tires and all seasons are slightly rougher ride and a persistent loud hum at highway speeds on dry pavement for the former. It is also expensive to purchase a second set of tires for your vehicle that only see use for part of the year - winter tires cannot be used all year or the special rubber compounds harden and wear down, rendering them useless in colder weather.

While the expense of outfitting your vehicle for winter might at first make you want to settle for the compromise of all season tires, it's important to remember that safety shouldn't take second place to economy. If you live in an area that is hit hard by winter weather and truly do require the special capabilities of winter tires, it is important to equip your car or truck with them. And you can always look on the bright side - having 2 different sets of tires for your car means that they will each last 'twice' as long. (http://www.abouttires.net/winter-tires-vs-all-season-tires-a-comparison.php)

gretz
10-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
I've driven the past 2-3 years with a lowered integra and all-season tires.
I would get stuck in back alleys pretty often too, but never had any problems driving

hmmmm, getting stuck sounds like a problem to me...

Get the winters - they are made for a reason lol

lint
10-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
:confused: I go through Blizzaks and Graspics every 1 1/2 to 2 years...

Not everyone needs a high performance winter tire, especially not for a freestar minivan. Personally I've never had a set of winters last less than 4 years.

Aleks
10-09-2009, 01:36 PM
All season tires do not exist if you live in Calgary.

cityhunter2501
10-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by gretz

hmmmm, getting stuck sounds like a problem to me...

haha true that, those were the time I wish I had winter tires on as I had to use the floor mat trick to get out.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 01:46 PM

Not everyone needs a high performance winter tire, especially not for a freestar minivan. Personally I've never had a set of winters last less than 4 years.

Read all of the information I posted above, its physics. All-seasons do not grip or function properly below freezing temperatures; and I don't know how long you have lived here, but I've noticed in the last decade or so that temperatures can easily sit around -30.

Edit: After re-reading your statement over, I have no clue as to what you are really trying to say...Winter tires are winter tires, some are better than others but the idea is the same - soft rubber and lots of siping.

Just because you Super Dave Osborne'd a few winters with A/S (as I have tried as well) doesn't mean NO ONE NEEDS THEM, it means you are lucky to have not gotten in an accident with them. I could try hammering a nail with my fist, but it sure is easier with a hammer. This guy is driving a minivan which leads me to assume he has a family to carry around, and I sure as hell don't want any harm to come to them because some idiot says "oh yea, winter tires are teh useless, Im alive, stupid to buy them".

Peacrust
10-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I tried out just using all seasons last winter and it was a big mistake. I slid around, had trouble up a few hills and couldnt stop quick ever. So I would reccomend winter tires.

snoop101
10-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I might be wrong, but on really bad days here in Calgary if you go out driving and get into an accident and its because you have bad tires, your insurance company can decline you.

I would assume the same thing is with all season since are winters are worse then most places. Quebec its the law to have snow tires.

But in the end it comes down to this...... If your driving a mini van you most likely have kids or your out to grab a kid. Would you really want to save 100 bucks to put your kids lifes in danger?

bituerbo
10-09-2009, 01:52 PM
If price is a problem, consider used. Check out Kijiji.ca for some great deals on take-offs or people who sold the cars and forgot about the winters. I would avoid used tire shops, as tires I've seen there are usually below 50% tread remaining, where the stuff on Kijiji is typically 80% or more.

911driver
10-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Buy winter tires.

Worth every penny, 5 years ago its didnt make a huge difference, now the newer compounds that the tires are made out of are amazing! For the 5+ months of crappy road conditions, they will pay for themselves in the confidence and safety they will provide.

benyl
10-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Read all of the information I posted above, its physics. All-seasons do not grip or function properly below freezing temperatures; and I don't know how long you have lived here, but I've noticed in the last decade or so that temperatures can easily sit around -30.

Edit: After re-reading your statement over, I have no clue as to what you are really trying to say...Winter tires are winter tires, some are better than others but the idea is the same - soft rubber and lots of siping.

Just because you Super Dave Osborne'd a few winters with A/S (as I have tried as well) doesn't mean NO ONE NEEDS THEM, it means you are lucky to have not gotten in an accident with them. I could try hammering a nail with my fist, but it sure is easier with a hammer. This guy is driving a minivan which leads me to assume he has a family to carry around, and I sure as hell don't want any harm to come to them because some idiot says "oh yea, winter tires are teh useless, Im alive, stupid to buy them".

You need a class in reading comprehension. You should re-read what he said.

He is basically saying he doesn't take his winter tires to the track. You must if you tire wear is that quick.

My winter set is going on its 5th season. Wearing them out that fast either means you are leaving them on too long (putting them on too early and taking them off too late), or you a very spirited driver in the winter months when the roads are dry.

lint
10-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Edit: Now that I have re-read your statement over, I have no clue as to what you are really trying to say... Winter tires are winter tires, some are better than others but the idea is the same - soft rubber and lots of siping.

WTF? Did you not read my post that you quoted?
I've never had a set of winters last less than 4 years Not everyone needs HIGH PERFORMANCE winter tires. I stick by what I said. MOST winter tires will last a good 3-4 years easily.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 01:57 PM

WTF? Did you not read my post that you quoted? Not everyone needs HIGH PERFORMANCE winter tires. I stick by what I said. MOST winter tires will last a good 3-4 years easily.

Dude, I already said I barely understood what you were trying to say. I saw that you said you've had winters last 4+ years, its the part where you said HIGH PERFORMANCE WINTER TIRES. I assumed you meant all winter tires, as my graspics and blizzaks are hardly performance tires.

Have you ever bought Graspics and had someone say "oh wow! You are going with a high performance tire?" I don't need a lesson in reading comprehension, you need a lesson in clarification.

Besides, why the hell would you suggest to begin with that a guy with a van and possibly kids buy the cheapest shittiest winter tires? Might as well have all seasons.

The_Rural_Juror
10-09-2009, 02:00 PM

I don't need a lesson in reading comprehension, you need a lesson in clarification.

Umm...benyl was the one who brought that up, not lint.
:rofl:

Winter vs A/S tires (http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=26&tab=winter)

Pahnda
10-09-2009, 02:00 PM

Dude, I already said I barely understood what you were trying to say. I saw that you said you've had winters last 4+ years, its the part where you said HIGH PERFORMANCE WINTER TIRES. I assumed you meant all winter tires, as my graspics and blizzaks are hardly performance tires.

Have you ever bought Graspics and had someone say "oh wow! You are going with a high performance tire?" I don't need a lesson in reading comprehension, you need a lesson in clarification.

Besides, why the hell would you suggest to begin with that a guy with a van and possibly kids buy the cheapest shittiest winter tires? Might as well have all seasons.

Chill out man... Or else you'll end up at McDonalds screaming for a chicken sandwich.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda

Chill out man... Or else you'll end up at McDonalds screaming for a chicken sandwich.
You heard about that?

Sorry, I went off a bit there, I just can't stand it when I see people with a/s during a blizzard, and even more so people who say you don't need dedicated seasonal tires. You instantly can spot the idiots by the stock rims endlessly spinning at a stop begging for some grip.

Its also why I get really nervous seeing people come up fast behind me at a red light while I am stopped. I've been rear-ended twice by igno-tards in that situation - both of them without winter tires, go figure.

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Umm...benyl was the one who brought that up, not lint.

Both accused me of not reading.

snoop101
10-09-2009, 02:18 PM

You heard about that?

Sorry, I went off a bit there, I just can't stand it when I see people with a/s during a blizzard, and even more so people who say you don't need dedicated seasonal tires. You instantly can spot the idiots by the stock rims endlessly spinning at a stop begging for some grip.

Its also why I get really nervous seeing people come up fast behind me at a red light while I am stopped. I've been rear-ended twice by igno-tards in that situation - both of them without winter tires, go figure.

Both accused me of not reading.

My dad always said.... Its not you im worried about, its the other guy.

soobad
10-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Winter tires make a big difference, especially without 4 wheel drive. Sure you could get by with all seasons and drive extra carefully, but you're a lot more likely to regret it.

Originally posted by Pahnda

The McD people are safe, thankfully he prefers to take his frustrations out on people in the street-encounters forum when he makes dumb re-posts. :rofl:

lint
10-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Besides, why the hell would you suggest to begin with that a guy with a van and possibly kids buy the cheapest shittiest winter tires?

Yah, because that's what I said. I told the OP to buy the shittiest winter tires possible. That's right.

Might as well have all seasons.

As for this statement, maybe you should read your own quote. It's all about physics, remember?

desto2para
10-09-2009, 02:37 PM
in calgary...
all seasons = no seasons

benyl
10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by soobad
Winter tires make a big difference, especially without 4 wheel drive.

4WD or AWD doesn't help you stop. Who cares if you can go, if you can't stop, that is a problem.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 02:57 PM

Yah, because that's what I said. I told the OP to buy the shittiest winter tires possible. That's right.

You implied that my blizzaks and graspics (one of the cheapest winter tires i've ever bought) are performance winter tires, and there is no need for them. What does that leave? :rolleyes:

Edit: If my cheap graspic DS2/DS3's are "performance tires" as you put it, what the hell are you going to recommend this guy to put on his van?

As for this statement, maybe you should read your own quote. It's all about physics, remember?
If you think a graspic is a performance tire, you must be rockin $40 rubber from wal-mart with outdated rubber compounds. You, by implying that he doesn't need a performance winter tire - which it sounds like according to you is anything with a brand name on it - leaves what..a "non-performance tire"? pretty much.

cheapest shittiest winter tires? Might as well have all seasons.

All things aside, STFU.
The consensus is that winter tires are necessary, quit trying to argue over stupid crap. If you don't like me, suck it up.

Redlyne_mr2
10-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Even though we're well into this thread I'm still going to suggest you used the search function. Pretty sure we had this exact same discussion last year, as well as the year before and probably even a few times more prior to that.

lint
10-09-2009, 03:13 PM
blah blah blah..

IF you can't get more than 1-2 seasons out of winter tires, no matter what performance rating, compound softness, brand, tread, etc etc etc. You're driving like a shit head. There is no fucking way that EVERY SINGLE winter tire out there will only last a MAXIMUM of 2 years in Calgary, even with all of our Chinooks.

Do you understand that?

snoop101
10-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Even though we're well into this thread I'm still going to suggest you used the search function. Pretty sure we had this exact same discussion last year, as well as the year before and probably even a few times more prior to that.

OR just use common sense.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Do you understand that?

You are 34 years old. Grow up.

blah blah blah
Wow, argument won!

There is no fucking way that EVERY SINGLE winter tire out there will only last a MAXIMUM of 2 years
This thread is about whether you need winter tires in calgary, not how long winter tires last. Not only that, I was stating my own personal experience you moron. I don't junk tires at 2/32", I junk them when they stop performing as intended. Now, stay on track or shut your yap.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Even though we're well into this thread I'm still going to suggest you used the search function.
:werd:

lint
10-09-2009, 03:42 PM
This thread is about whether you need winter tires in calgary, not how long winter tires last. Not only that, I was stating my own personal experience you moron. I don't junk tires at 2/32", I junk them when they stop performing as intended. Now, stay on track or shut your yap.

You just keep driving like shit, mmmkay?

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 03:48 PM

You just keep driving like shit, mmmkay?

You have offered absolutely nothing to this thread, while I provided not only personal experiences, but also links to research that has been done on the topic. You however continue to spew shit out of your mouth endlessly trying to prove you are a bigger man than I am - all I ask is that you perhaps consider that no one else here wants to see you and I go back and forth with your childish arguing, so feel free to PM me with any issues, arguments or questions. In the meantime, as I said:

Stay on track or shut your yap.

To the OP, snowtires are a fantastic investment. They make winter driving safer and easier which keeps you stress free and possibly alive.

alloroc
10-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Anyways ...

back on topic.

ya .... winter tires ..... buy some.

Check out the beyond sponsers for smoking deals (me I prefer to deal with tirebob - urban expressions)

I expect my kw 17's to last about 4-5 seasons. If you buy a good dedicated summer tire and a good dedicated winter tire you will in the end spend less than if you bought 'all seasons' As dedicated summer tires last longer than all seasons in the summer times and winter tires wear about the same as all seasons below freezing - if you buy suitable tires for your local conditions.

You should talk to you tire retailer (tirebob ;P - some tires (like the Graspic are top rated for snow traction - but there is a tradeoff they are too soft and the sidewalls are too mushy for prolonged pavement driving in a climate like Calgary's.

Kloubek
10-09-2009, 03:57 PM
There is 100% proof that the majority of winter tires (nearly all) will perform better on ice and snow than all seasons. I don't think anyone has mentioned it in this particular thread yet, but all seasons start to lose their grip in something like +7 degrees, whereas winters stay softer in colder weather. Is there any doubt that winters are a good idea? No doubt whatsoever.

BUT, let me play devil's advocate here and say it is 100% entirely possible to get around town using all seasons. I had them on my Sequoia (2WD), and could get around just fine. It just slides a little when I come to a stop because it is such a heavy vehicle. I bought winters anyway to see if it was better (and to use a 2nd pair of rims I had), and noticed no difference at all. Not even with the sliding - which winters are SUPPOSED to improve.

I will assume the OP is on a budget - otherwise he would not care if it was worthwhile, and instead just buy the tires. If you are going to buy winters, and exchange them on the same rims once every spring, and once every fall, then that will cost you another $100-$150 per year for the changeover alone. Then the tires you say are $600.

Granted, putting winters on for half the year will reduce wear on your all seasons, but at the end of the day you are going to end up paying around $1000 more inside a couple of years to buy the winters. You would be best off finding some steelies to put the winter set on, as opposed to exchanging every season if you plan to keep the vehicle. You can probably find some used for pretty cheap.

So, the bottom line here is: Is feeling less stressed in driving and being potentially safer worth that extra grand? I can tell you this: When I had no credit and/or money, it certainly was not worth it to me at the time. Granted I *AM* a good driver, and took precautions to drive according to the traction level. For the most part, I believe that if you drive appropriately, then winters are not as necessary as people in this thread are making them out to be. But of course, it also depends on the vehicle dynamics, power level, and everything else.

Just my 2 cents.

ICEBERG
10-09-2009, 04:01 PM
In '92 had a brand new Ford Mustang GT(Super Charged) with 19" wheels and performance tires that i drove in TWO winters..With some Weights in the back trunk that thing drove like a 4X4:D;)

Speed_69
10-09-2009, 04:37 PM

lint
10-09-2009, 04:56 PM
You have offered absolutely nothing to this thread, while I provided not only personal experiences, but also links to research that has been done on the topic. You however continue to spew shit out of your mouth endlessly trying to prove you are a bigger man than I am - all I ask is that you perhaps consider that no one else here wants to see you and I go back and forth with your childish arguing, so feel free to PM me with any issues, arguments or questions. In the meantime, as I said:

Are you fucking shitting me?

To the OP, snowtires are a fantastic investment. They make winter driving safer and easier which keeps you stress free and possibly alive.

Oh you're right, it sounds much better coming from you. :rolleyes:

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Are you fucking shitting me?

Oh you're right, it sounds much better coming from you. :rolleyes:

Forgetting the other 5-10 posts I made, and had to remake because you dragged your shit stains over almost 2 complete pages? Guess so. See here: Click (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3108800#post3108800)

Give it a rest you old fart. No one cares, keep it in PM's keyboard warrior.

FraserB
10-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
I might be wrong, but on really bad days here in Calgary if you go out driving and get into an accident and its because you have bad tires, your insurance company can decline you.

I would assume the same thing is with all season since are winters are worse then most places. Quebec its the law to have snow tires.

But in the end it comes down to this...... If your driving a mini van you most likely have kids or your out to grab a kid. Would you really want to save 100 bucks to put your kids lifes in danger?

I seriously doubt that they would deny a claim unless the tires were seriously overworn. Its not the law here to have winters so it should be a non issue with the insurance.

FWIW, I ran my 31" MT's all last winter no problem, plan on doing it again this year considering a set of winters would run me close to $2k plus rims. I do have 4x4 though

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
FWIW, I ran my 31" MT's all last winter no problem, plan on doing it again this year considering a set of winters would run me close to $2k plus rims. I do have 4x4 though

Holy crap man, I ran 33x12.5's on my YJ for one winter, and after a few high speed spinouts and a few really close calls I decided I wouldn't test my fate again. A buddy of mine had studded 31's, I wanted to give that a go one winter.

bituerbo
10-09-2009, 05:10 PM
FraserB... get your MT's siped for traction on ice, makes a huge difference. Smaller contact patches also makes the rubber more flexible when cold compared to the big tread blocks you currently have.

FraserB
10-09-2009, 05:12 PM

Holy crap man, I ran my 33's on my YJ for one winter, and after a few high speed spinouts and a few realli close calls I decided I wouldn't test my fate again.

V8 Grand Cherokee with fulltime 4x4 and Im about 500lbs over stock curb weight. I had the MT's siped and it changed the way it drove soo much. I drove from Bridlewood to Crossfield every day from Dec until May with zero issues.

sxtothe240
10-09-2009, 05:20 PM

Forgetting the other 5-10 posts I made, and had to remake because you dragged your shit stains over almost 2 complete pages? Guess so. See here: Click (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3108800#post3108800)

Give it a rest you old fart. No one cares, keep it in PM's keyboard warrior.

Clearly he is older and wiser > you.

Nothing else to say so you result in personal attacks on his age? If anything, he's got more experience than you.

and FYI, if your shits wearing out in 1-2 two years, either A. you put them on way too early, or take them off too late. OR B, you need an alignment.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by sxtothe240

Clearly he is older and wiser > you.

Nothing else to say so you result in personal attacks on his age? If anything, he's got more experience than you.

and FYI, if your shits wearing out in 1-2 two years, either A. you put them on way too early, or take them off too late. OR B, you need an alignment.

First off, you don't know me, so don't come off as ignorant by making such accusations.

1. I don't know lint in person, and therefore do not know his personality, intellect, character, or even occupation. I do however know how old he is, and that his method of public attacks and staying off-topic is not only childish for his age, but could also be contained within Private Messages, rather than wasting 3 pages with off-topic nattering.

2. As I stated, with winter tires I do not wait until they are at 2/32" of tread. Due to the nature of these tires, depth of tread is very important as the goal is to grab and throw the snow - much unlike summer street tires. Because of this, and as well the siping, the tire will start to not perform as intended with far less wear then a comparable summer tire. Hence why you can run almost bald summer tires all summer, but can barely use bald winter tires in the winter.

Thanks for coming out.

Danny Meehan
10-09-2009, 05:38 PM
once you've driven with winter tires, you'll never go back.
... till the summer

Originally posted by gretz
in Quebec, your point would be valid :)

oldschoolcivic
10-09-2009, 05:39 PM
where can i get the cheapest winter tires?? i don't want to spend alot of money and i don't want to drive with my summers on this winter

bituerbo
10-09-2009, 05:39 PM
depth of tread is very importantCORRECT!

as the goal is to grab and throw the snowNot so correct.

Thanks for coming out.YOU'RE WELCOME!

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolcivic
where can i get the cheapest winter tires?? i don't want to spend alot of money and i don't want to drive with my summers on this winter

If you don't mind slightly used, kijiji has some good sets of tires kicking around.

Click here (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/f-winter-tires-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-W0QQCatIdZ320QQKeywordZwinterQ20tiresQQSortZ3http://calgary.kijiji.ca/f-winter-tires-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-W0QQCatIdZ320QQKeywordZwinterQ20tiresQQSortZ3)

Just look for a set with low-wear, and then buy some cheap steelies, or buy a combo that will fit the bolt pattern (and fit properly) on your car.

Originally posted by bituerbo
YOU'RE WELCOME!
lol:D

rojhero
10-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Used tires are fine, but you should really understand how to examine at tires before buying. I would also recommend checking the age of the tire. I've seen some really old sets on Kijiji. Here's a link to help you out.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Also, most people have no clue how much wear they have left and usually guess poorly when stating a percentage in the ad. Be prepared to waste some time going around.

It's also a good idea to check the tires pressures if you buy them on rims. If one is significantly lower, there might be a leak. Patching a tire properly or remounting a tire could negate any savings buying used.

Honestly, I would recommend you buying new and going with someone like Urban Expressions. Not only is he one of the cheapest in town (I've called around), but you get warranty, quality tires, and general peace of mind.

As many have said before, get winters... you won't be dissappointed.

To Pollywog - You provided some great information, but there is really no need to bash at Lint, especially with the comment about his age. Everything was on topic until that was brought out. And really, I'm sure you know that you drive extremely hard or drive a lot. In any case, your tire wear is not common. Based on experience, winter tires driven with care have lasted roughly 40,000kms. The average person probably drives 10,000kms a winter at most. This is to 4/32, not 2/32 too!

oldschoolcivic
10-09-2009, 06:19 PM
lint had some good advice. thanks :thumbsup:

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by rojhero

To Pollywog - You provided some great information, but there is really no need to bash at Lint, especially with the comment about his age. Everything was on topic until that was brought out. And really, I'm sure you know that you drive extremely hard or drive a lot. In any case, your tire wear is not common. Based on experience, winter tires driven with care have lasted roughly 40,000kms. The average person probably drives 10,000kms a winter at most. This is to 4/32, not 2/32 too!
:facepalm:
Jesus Christ, try reading for a change.. I don't run my tires down to 4/32 or 2/32 unless they are my summer rubber - and there is reason for it. To address your other retarded comment, I do not drive hard - in fact I commonly get compared to grandmothers. I do however pump out at least 30,000kms a year, +/- how many times I go to BC a year - so compared to some I do drive more often. Regardless, winter tires stop performing like winter tires far before they get to 2/32".

Now, READ.

2. As I stated, with winter tires I do not wait until they are at 2/32" of tread. Due to the nature of these tires, depth of tread is very important as the goal is to grab and throw the snow - much unlike summer street tires. Because of this, and as well the siping, the tire will start to not perform as intended with far less wear then a comparable summer tire. Hence why you can run almost bald summer tires all summer, but can barely use bald winter tires in the winter.

Can we have all of the mouth-breathers try to stay on topic please?

lint what brand of winter tires do you recommend. you know what you are talking about and i would like to hear what you have to say. :rofl:
Don't ask an auto technician, ask a 34 year old man who spends his friday afternoons picking e-battles with those younger than him.

oldschoolcivic
10-09-2009, 06:39 PM
lint what brand of winter tires do you recommend. you know what you are talking about and i would like to hear what you have to say.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 06:52 PM
lint what brand of winter tires do you recommend. you know what you are talking about and i would like to hear what you have to say. :rofl:
Well if it isn't Evillancer, 97acura, and now oldschoolcivic! Come back to get further humiliated and banned? Great start!

PS: Written questions require question marks.

lint
10-09-2009, 07:16 PM
lint what brand of winter tires do you recommend. you know what you are talking about and i would like to hear what you have to say.

I have no specific recommendations. For that I'd suggest talking to a tire shop. But it all depends on budget, what you want/need. Be it tire wear, snow traction, ice traction, dry pavement handling etc. Personally, with Calgary's weather and typically dry winter roads, I'd pick a tire with better tread wear and sacrifice some snow and ice performance. I've used bridgestone, kumho, michelin and hankook. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but I find the ice bears perform terribly when there's lots of soft/salty snow on the ground. The kind that doesn't pack and that we had all last winter. The tread can't clear the snow and my cul de sac happens to pile up. I'm giving the Firestone Winterforce a try this year.

Sugarphreak
10-09-2009, 07:16 PM

rockanrepublic
10-09-2009, 07:17 PM
iv driven in calgary winter with a FWD a RWD and a mid engine RWD on all seasons in the worst conditions but iv never even tried going for winter tires so i cant say dont buy them it was always an issue with money for me but this year im going to pick sum up and try them out and as others already said im sure after you smoke a curb or hit another car you will be wishing you bought them.

cjay^
10-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
iv driven in calgary winter with a FWD a RWD and a mid engine RWD on all seasons in the worst conditions but iv never even tried going for winter tires so i cant say dont buy them it was always an issue with money for me but this year im going to pick sum up and try them out and as others already said im sure after you smoke a curb or hit another car you will be wishing you bought them.

That is one long sentence

lint
10-09-2009, 07:35 PM
pollywog, stop pm'ing me you fucking homo. I'm not interested. take a hint for fucks sake. I'm sure you can find someone on kijiji that wants to goatse you.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 07:38 PM
pollywog, stop pm'ing me you fucking homo. I'm not interested. take a hint for fucks sake. I'm sure you can find someone on kijiji that wants to goatse you.

Once again, 34 years old. If you aren't interested and don't care, quit posting :dunno:. My last post had nothing to do with you whatsoever, the class is moving on.

bridgestone, kumho, michelin and hankook.
Reason for PM:
You stated these were unnecessary "performance tires" and now its your non-professional recommendation. Besides, i'm an auto tech, and you are a 34 year old man who spends his friday afternoons picking e-battles with people in their twenties. Perhaps my field of work might have a bit more to do with what we are talking about.

Thanks for coming out, and please, reply via PM! I think everyone here would appreciate the bitch battle if it were silent and not bumping this thread everytime. (http://forums.beyond.ca/private.php?s=&action=newmessage&userid=48830)

:facepalm:

lint
10-09-2009, 07:45 PM
awww you're just mad because no one wants your opinion.

and once again learn to read. I said I've used those brands. please quote where I recommended them? I presented personal experince. guess English isn't a requirement for auto tech school.

and why would I keep this to pm? your douchebaggery is much to entertaining to keep it all to myself.

oldschoolcivic
10-09-2009, 07:46 PM

and once again learn to read. I said I've used those brands. please quote where I recommended them? I presented personal experince. guess English isn't a requirement for auto tech school.

and why would I keep this to pm? your douchebaggery is much to entertaining to keep it all to myself.

thanks for the info man. appreciate your knowledge.

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 07:46 PM
^^ lol, you two trolls are a complete waste. Thanks again evilancer!

Are you actually a troll? Quit bumping this thread.

Anyways, im out - its Friday night. Have a good time at home lint!

lint
10-09-2009, 07:50 PM

oh kettle, pot.

oh sorry, guess you don't know that reference. maybe if you'd passed English

oldschoolcivic
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM

ya i'm sure you will be the life of the party where ever you go tonight. with your charming personality :rofl:

go play on deerfoot loser.

soobad
10-09-2009, 07:53 PM

You're the troll.. You start a little e-bitch fight in virtually every thread you post in, and it took a whole 4 pages or so back in your post history before I lost interest.

Best part is you think being the wikipedia service and then spending 4x as much time posting as all the people that can't be bothered replying to all your BS makes you "win" somehow. Come to think of it you're actually worse than evillancer. All the douche with none of the entertainment value. :D

Pollywog
10-09-2009, 07:54 PM

oh kettle, pot.

oh sorry, guess you don't know that reference. maybe if you'd passed English
:rofl: :rofl:

I have a degree in business finance and am going for a second, lol. Like I said, have fun at home.

lint
10-09-2009, 08:12 PM

I have a degree in business finance and am going for a second, lol. Like I said, have fun at home.

You still here?

Yes, I'm a loser. I'm spending friday night at home with the wife and kids. For shame, for shame. When all the auto techs are out partying and hitting on trannys.

psycoticclown
10-09-2009, 08:25 PM

You still here?

Yes, I'm a loser. I'm spending friday night at home with the wife and kids. For shame, for shame. When all the auto techs are out partying and hitting on trannys.

http://members.airsoftcanada.com/digital_assasin/Forum%20Stuff/Misc/oh_snap.gif

ragu
10-09-2009, 08:32 PM
To answer this thread: Yes, get snow tires and drive carefully.

On side note:

Pollyfag might be the biggest troll I've ever seen on this site. Something about him makes me feel bad for him, people who usually behave like this tend to have horrific past experiences e.g. severely beaten/ raped as a child, picked on through out teen years, unable to make friends.
Wanna guess my age? occupation?.....you're one fucking pathetic cunt.

oldschoolcivic
10-09-2009, 08:38 PM
The cockbag is still online.

Deetz
10-09-2009, 08:46 PM
winter tires, here in Alberta? YES

- although all season can get you by...i know they can, a winter tire, even the cheapest one, is better than the very best all season for traction! Why wouldn't you want the advantage??

- with the softer rubber compound and well designed tread patterns found on modern winter grips, both turning and stopping are much improved!! People are always spending big bucks to have the best performance for quality tires during the summer, why not have an added performance during winter as well??

- Hiway driving, big difference during bad weather, snow, ice....they can big time help you avoid going off the road into the ditch which happens to many drivers ever year during icy conditions.

I think the choice is obvious :thumbsup:

Sharpie
10-10-2009, 01:09 AM

Dude you are a fucking idiot please stop whoring beyond.

On a related note Koublek(SP?) has the right idea, if you are a decent driver you can make due with just all seasons. Now I am no means saying all-seasons are better than winters but I have gone through 2 winters with just all-seasons. This year however I am treating myself to some nice winter tires.

beung
10-22-2009, 08:44 AM
I have driven with winters and all seasons and yes winters are better but don't be fooled. You still can't go driving around on winters thinking that you have enough grip. Even with winters on, the grip is a very small fraction of what it is on even just wet pavement let alone dry.

Get them if you can afford them and yes there are cheaper brands/models and expensive one too.

kaput
10-22-2009, 09:23 AM

scat19
10-22-2009, 09:30 AM

Sorry, I went off a bit there, I just can't stand it when I see people with a/s during a blizzard, and even more so people who say you don't need dedicated seasonal tires.

I also can't stand it when people put an HID kit in their halogen housing... isn't that what you did? You're the guy I'd lift my bi-xenon shroud upon and blind you back, then you'd give me the stupid "wtf look" and not sure why I flashed you.

Tezzating
10-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Having a set of winters and a set of summers isnt that bad cost wise.. especially if you can get a used set of winters that are mounted for cheap.

I read somewhere that a convensional tyre starts to freeze up around 7 degree's C, versus -20 degree's for your winters, with all-season coming in somewhere inbetween. Frozen tyres, less traction.

Not to mention nice alloy rims start getting a lot less nice in freezing/salty/perpetually damp conditions.. so if you have good rims, having steelies for winter should be a priority anyway.

sportryder
10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Are Winter Tires Necessary?

Absolutely.

You can't put a price tag on your personal safety and life. So buy them.

It's now legally mandatory in Quebec for a reason. Don't make the mistake a lot of us have already made by learning the hard way that all-seasons are in-sufficient here in Alberta.

I don't like the term "All Season". This title implies that the tires are fine to use all year round.

For the record, and this is from personal experience.

"All Season" tires are "All Shit" when our winters kick in.

This is Canada, if we drive a little bit higher we go to a place that is so unpopulated and horrible that it doesn't really have a name other than what we call the "Northwest Death Territories".

So buy winter tires or move to Texas.

vtec260
11-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I put on studded winter Nokians on MDX and the noise level is way higher than I expected. I think I should've gotten regular non-studded winters, but we'll see how much benefit there is with studded tires once more snow accumulates and when it gets colder.

Pollywog
11-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by scat19

I also can't stand it when people put an HID kit in their halogen housing... isn't that what you did? You're the guy I'd lift my bi-xenon shroud upon and blind you back, then you'd give me the stupid "wtf look" and not sure why I flashed you.

Confusion setting in...

As one of the few people who usually come to your defense when others are flaming you for either being an idiot, tinting your windshield, being a beemer-fag etc., you are somehow justified to give me flak on me temporarily running HID's without projectors? You probably wouldn't have noticed, let alone blind me with your hid's when I had them in anyways, as it was probably around the same time you pimped out your windshield with tint. :facepalm:

scary_perry
11-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I have driven all but one year out of 20 in Calgary with all seasons. I've never had a winter crash that wasn't my fault (last one was 15 years ago driving like a fool).

I put winters on my old Altima and they were OK - got all hyped up H1N1 style.

But I'll spend my money on other stuff and stick to AS tires.

Zero102
11-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by scary_perry
I've never had a winter crash that wasn't my fault (last one was 15 years ago driving like a fool).

So, every winter crash has been your fault?...

I have winter tires for every car I drive in the winter. Although not strictly necessary they afford an extra amount of protection. You can dodge other people a lot better when you have better traction, and I am able to accelerate or stop just fine when other people are sliding all over the road.

mekeni
11-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
.. $600 is cheap compared to sliding and smashing my car up.

Brap_Brap
11-12-2009, 03:25 PM
My boss told me that winter tires are one of the best investments you can ever make.

Pollywog
11-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Brap_Brap
My boss told me that winter tires are one of the best investments you can ever make.

Thats why he's the boss.

max_boost
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
The problem is, most people don't think it's necessary because of the nice weather that we've been having. Just wait until things freeze over again, it's going to be a nerve racking drive. Why risk it?