PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Start

TACOMA
11-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Well, I settled for Arctic Start which is the same as Compustar. I got it installed at the Autosource in Edm. The first problem I had was it didn't even work when I got it home. It would start then overrun my starter 3 times before quitting, so I didn't get the anti-grind which would have saved that. Anyway they fixed it and its working fairly well but another thing I thought I had and it worked once was continuation run so I could take the keys out and grab a case of beer or something while it still ran. I thought I would have vibrate mode too, the remote shows the vibrate symbol but I'm getting beeps. The latest screwy thing is my left turn signal was stuck on.....strange. If anyone has any similar problems let me know.

TACOMA

KoukiS14
11-14-2003, 05:18 PM
See what happens when you try to save a buck.

Im assuming you went with it cause its cheaper.

rc2002
11-14-2003, 05:41 PM
I heard it's the exact same product just under a different name. The compustar remote will even work as a replacement for the Arctic start. Something about exclusive distribution rights for compustar making it more expensive for small businesses...

You probably got it installed incorrectly for the signal. But if you have manual it's impossible to have continuation. I thought I did to until I read the manual. And the symbol that looks like vibration isn't (I thought it was too). Only the 2Wss models have vibration.

Paul
11-15-2003, 05:00 PM
had my Arctic Start for 2 years now, nothing but good things to say about it. Never had a problem, the installer took an hour to explain every friggin detail and option it had on it. Yes it did cost less than a Compustar, but included more options than the base model Compustar. I've had numerous alarm/starter combo's and this one is by far the best (not including Compustar, cuz they are the same in my books just a price difference)

TACOMA
11-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

You probably got it installed incorrectly for the signal. But if you have manual it's impossible to have continuation. I thought I did to until I read the manual. And the symbol that looks like vibration isn't (I thought it was too). Only the 2Wss models have vibration.

I paid $490(tax incl.) for the starter. I didn't get an alarm with it although I may get it later. I thought that was the reason compustar was more because you could only get the alarm/starter combo. And I did get continuation to work once in Edmonton on 178st at a TD bank parking lot, I won't forget that. The turn signal has been working fine since the last time. Another thing thats working fine now and wasn't recently is my left brake light. I got some red LED diode style brake lights and my left one would come on fine as with the right until I pressed the brake and then only the right would glow brighter, now all of a sudden they both work fine. I went for an oil/filter change at a quick lube today and the guy was alright, we talked about my starter and when I may get my supercharger and then it came time for me to leave and the guy drops my hood almost from the highest point and it slams down pretty hard, then I go to leave and I look down at my speedo, tach. etc. and notice the plastic is cracked about a cm at the bottom. It could have been from the hood but dunno for sure.

Tacoma

Ajay
11-16-2003, 02:32 AM
You paid $490 just for the starter? Where did you get this done cause I don't want to be the one to say this to you but you got jacked dude.

I paid $480 for my Compustar 2WFM series and it's a starter/alarm paging combo.

TACOMA
11-16-2003, 09:33 PM
do you drive an automatic cause its cheaper right there and tell me where u paid that cause I can tell you 5 shops in two cities that would scoff at that price. Must be hot.

Tacoma

link785
11-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by TACOMA
do you drive an automatic cause its cheaper right there and tell me where u paid that cause I can tell you 5 shops in two cities that would scoff at that price. Must be hot.

Tacoma

Are you insane? $500 for the Compustar, starter AND alarm wired up, along with starter kill and other usual options is a fair price. If you paid $500 JUST for the starter, you got screwed, not to mention the guys who installed it sound like morons who fucked up your turn signal and various other things.

szw
11-16-2003, 09:55 PM
Yeah sorry tacoma u got jacked on that price.

If you searched this forum you coulda found a few shops for around 500 compustar fully installed. (same price for manual or auto)

Ajay
11-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by TACOMA

Tacoma

My Civic has a manual transmission and it wasn't a hot unit. I got it installed by a shop here in Calgary....receipts and everything.

My install was pretty basic....just door, hood, trunk pins along with starter kill, and anti grind but I paid $480 with GST and install for my Compustar.

StraightFlush
11-17-2003, 12:06 AM
If he has a newer style Tacoma...80% of his cost was labour. I figure he was charged for a Transponder Mod, maybe a Factory Alarm bypass and the usual 2nd Ignition system. Add that with Keyless entry...and yeah, the price he paid was reasonable.

For you guys who got their Compustar installed cheap...thats because you drive a cheaper install vehicle that doesnt require all the additional crap that jacks the price up.

Comparing install prices on cars is apples to oranges...unless you talk about 2 identicle cars.

LastLude2K1SE
11-17-2003, 09:47 AM
Yes, Arctic start and Compustar are exactly the same thing, I got my Arctic start on my type-R installed at autotoyz in edm and it works perfectly everytime, my gf's compustar on her RSX-S doesn't always rest properly and every so often she gets paged for no reason(her's was installed somewhere else). It's all in the install, the only thing you lose when going with the Arctic start is the more BLINGIN blue remote that some of you stunnas want to match your blue L.E.D.s :) Oh, and the plastic clip-on case that comes with the compustar remote as well.

Seymour
01-03-2004, 10:22 PM
I just had an Arctic Start installed in my VW Jetta...

it worked the first time I used it, but now the lights just flash, and the car doesn't start... the guy is closed until Monday... was hoping for some quick advice before then!!

TACOMA
01-04-2004, 01:34 AM
If you have standard transmission, make sure you leave the vehicle in reservation mode. After a drive, make sure you leave it in neutral with the park brake pulled. Take the key out of the keyhole and exit the vehicle. It should keep running until you close the door. Once the door closes, reservation mode is set. U cannot enter the vehicle again without cancelling reservation mode. If you do, you will have to start the vehicle again and start over. If your vehicle will not start and you get 3 beeps on the receiver module and flashing park lights then something isn't set right. I always get the 7 park light flashes since all I have is the basic starter so the only thing that would keep it from starting is not having it in "reservation mode". If you have more things installed with the starter you may get another number of flashes that will tell you something is wrong. Count the number of times and refer to the error chart in the manual.

# of Flashes & Error Msg.
1 Engine on
2 Key on
3 Door open
4 Trunk "
5 Brake/ E-Brake on
6 Hood open
7 Reservation Off(Manual tranny only)

Of course you could have the problem I had today. TO DAMN COLD. My truck just wouldn't catch after 3 attempts with the starter. After that it stays dead and I can't attempt again with the remote.

cubed
01-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Dude I found a remote starter/alarm with pager, for only $350. And that's arctic start.

Install extra, but not that much if you shop around. About 3 hours labor at extreme tops. Otherwise they're lazy. I did mine blind in 3 and I'm an idiot. LOL

AutodreamMarvin
01-05-2004, 03:04 PM
you could've got the 2way compustars at a place in edmonton for $288.

TACOMA
03-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Yeah 4 months later. Thats called "Its old now and of course its going to go down in price"

288 is the price of the starter not the install. The price all depends on the vehicle u drive and how long it takes to install the damn thing.

bradm
03-04-2004, 02:29 PM
"you could've got the 2way compustars at a place in edmonton for $288."

Where can you find the Compustar for $288? The cheapest I found was for $300 (on the 2 way FM alarm and starter unit) and that was only because a friend and I are each getting one so we're getting a better deal on two of them.

The install on my 98 Durango is going to cost about another $300.

I haven't picked the starter up yet because they don't have any stock right now. If you can tell me where I can get it cheaper fairly soon I'll go to the cheaper place.

Thanks,

Brad

Strugari
03-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Keep in mind that you don't have continuous mode with a standard transmission.

The anti grind feature does not stop the remote starter from "grinding the starter", all it does is stops the user from grinding the starter while it is running on remote start.

If your starter cranks three times and does not start, there is a problem with either with the tach source, or (if equipped) the immobilizer key bypass.

dominator
03-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Hey everybody, I am from manitoba and was just wondering if any of you guys now where I could get a decent price on a 2 way start/alarm that would be near me.

cubed
04-07-2005, 03:30 PM
I can send ya anything you need for very cheap, especially this time of year. PM or email me

[email protected]
[email protected]

peace
~max