PDA

View Full Version : valve stem issue

CMW403
10-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey sorry i put this in general i just need a quick solution to my problem.

just put my winter rims on, the guy i bought my car from put metal caps on the valve stems, the caps have either rusted on or have somehow forged themselves to the stems and my tires are low. i held the stem with pliers and tried to take off the cap with pliers, nothing, it feels like im going to break the stem. i just sprayed them with wd-40. does anybody have any other suggestions????? iv got thanksgiving dinner to go to!!!!!

thanks

KO22
10-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I've had a similiar problem couple years ago on my a4, because of the cold, for me I had to get new valve stems on all 4 sides, that'll be your only way to fix the problem. Doesn't cost that much at all, i'm guessing the most you will have to pay is roughly ~$40. Hope that helps.

CMW403
10-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by KO22
I've had a similiar problem couple years ago on my a4, because of the cold, for me I had to get new valve stems on all 4 sides, that'll be your only way to fix the problem. Doesn't cost that much at all, i'm guessing the most you will have to pay is roughly ~$40. Hope that helps.

alright. i have to take the wheels off for that dont i

CelicaST-162
10-12-2009, 10:48 AM
You'll have to get the tires dismounted to replace the valve stems. Sometimes you can get away with just breaking the bead right by the valve stem and sneaking it by. Sounds like a job for the tire shops, I think a few may be open if you can't any you may resort to WalMart haha.

dirtsniffer
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
lefty loosey, righty tighty?

KO22
10-12-2009, 12:51 PM
yeah you'll have to dismount, and get the stems replaced, just take it to any tire shop

ercchry
10-12-2009, 12:53 PM
soak in gear oil for 30min.... will come right off