PDA

View Full Version : The $30,000 question!

boxy
10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I've browsed this informative forum for years now without really contributing, and I'm finally nearing the purchase of my first car, which will happen in the spring/summer of next year. I'd like some personal nominations for any rides you'd think would suit me. I'd love to put money down for a G35 or something more sporty but I must restrain myself and be practical about this :P

Here are my rough needs:

Hatchback: mostly for driving my mtn bike around Ontario and road tripping, feel free to convince me a sedan would work too.
Automatic: Never learned manual, and in two years my future will be unpredictable so city driving will probably be a reality
Great fuel economy: Speaks for itself
Various interior features are bonuses, but if having a garage install an aftermarket sound system makes more sense than getting the OEM option, I'll do that instead.

My current interests are in the 2009/2010 Golf TDI comfortline, mazda 3, and impreza 2.5i sport package. I'd love some personal experiences if anyone has them!

From other threads, I've already gathered useful sites for some homework (autotrader, beat the car salesman, etc) but personal insight is something that is hard to google.

Any input is greatly appreciated :)
Jason

aristocrat
10-12-2009, 01:30 PM
impreza

_wrx_
10-12-2009, 01:51 PM
buy my 08 TL!!

boxy
10-12-2009, 01:57 PM
My issue with the impreza is its fuel consumption and apparently lacking engine (I don't have time to test drive any of these until spring with school and everything).

I'd love an Acura but I really dislike bike racks and would rather just have a hatch, good luck on the sale though :)

FiveFreshFish
10-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I saw the new MKVI Golf Wagon last week. It's available with the TDI Clean Diesel engine.

As for your mountain bike, install a receiver hitch and buy a rear-mount bike rack.

http://www.newgolf.ca/

CLiVE
10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by boxy
My issue with the impreza is its fuel consumption and apparently lacking engine (I don't have time to test drive any of these until spring with school and everything).

I'd love an Acura but I really dislike bike racks and would rather just have a hatch, good luck on the sale though :)

If you plan on doing a lot of year-round hwy driving, and depending on what the roads are like where you go mtn biking. The AWD on the impreza might be nice to have. Fuel consuption is still decent.

Xtrema
10-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

If you plan on doing a lot of year-round hwy driving, and depending on what the roads are like where you go mtn biking. The AWD on the impreza might be nice to have. Fuel consuption is still decent.

For a 3.5L V6, not a 2.5L I4.

To OP, no CUV or SUV?

boxy
10-12-2009, 02:33 PM
My vehicle experience is with an Infiniti QX4 my dad basically gives me for the summers I'm home since he works in the same area as my mom. I really love it, however seeing the fuel gauge droop after every ride is rather depressing, and on a student budget it wouldn't work well.

I've looked a few smaller SUVs (mostly American cars) and the EX35 but I don't really feel I need that luxury/capacity just yet.

CLiVE your AWD comment is worth accounting for now that I think of it. Winters here are absurd compared to the ones I grew up with in BC. How do you think a Golf or mazda 3 would fair compared to the impreza on icey/snowy roads? I probably won't be going anywhere far away during winters but I remember the fiascos my mom's Camry XLE got into compared to the AWD-able QX4 during a couple bad snow falls. Torque is a factor isn't it?

Edit: Also, most utility vehicles are out of my price range unless I go used and a few years back

FiveFreshFish
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Winter tires make all the difference.

strong
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Looking a G35 isnt going to be very good on fuel consumption and if anything the Subaru is probaly the best choice but check out some reviews on dealers service history as in Calgary our Subbie dealers are crooks.

If this isnt an option the maybe a CUV would be the most practical for your lifestyle. Look into models that have been out for a few years and try to avoid first year production as there may be some issues they fixed in later years. Best of luck and as always if buying used make sure you do a CarFax report on the vehicle prior to purchase.

GLW new car

911driver
10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
My vote on the GOLF TDi!

Awesome car, unbeatable fuel economy, and they are a well built car.

Not only are they great on fuel, but they have the power that no other car in that 50MPG range has.... tons of torque so they are fun to rip around in! I owned a Golf for a year as my commute vehicle, and loved it! It never let me down, got great milage, (averaged at 55MPG) and never had any issues with it. AT ALL. I did the oil changes, swapped on the winter tires, and thats about it!

**I've owned BMWs forever, the only reason I got the GOLF Tdi was because I had a 100km commute, so I couldnt justify spending all the money on gas, and miling out a BMW. So I sucked it up, and got the GOLF, the car impressed me, as it had all the qualities of a German car *which it is* and sure didnt feel like I thought its price tag would!

Again, my VOTE goes for the GOLF.

Great resale,
Low Maintenance costs,
AMAZING FUEL ECONOMY
Feels like a car thats twice the price.

boxy
10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Thank you 911driver for the feedback :)

The cost of ownership on a Golf would probably be the lowest of the three correct?

w_man
10-12-2009, 03:33 PM
My buddy had a VW and he had similar comment as above (very nice car) but he did complain about the 'expensive maintenance' on the car. I guess all german cars are ridiculous when it comes to maintenance. Practically ... I think the Mazda might be a good plan ... buy some solid winter tires and you'll be set.

I haven't looked in to the prices yet but I would thinks Mazda is prob. the cheaper out of the other 2 no?

GL

Aleks
10-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

For a 3.5L V6, not a 2.5L I4.

To OP, no CUV or SUV?

Where have you seen Inline equipped Imprezas? :eek:

Anyways they won't beat the Civic or Corolla in the fuel efficiency dept. but people buying these know that given the drivetrain configuration and all.

OP I'd look at the new Golf TDI as well if you drive lots. However the 2.5L 5 cylinder Golf would be my choice if you drive less than 25,000 kms per year as it would take you forever to pay off the price premium of the diesel.

FiveFreshFish
10-12-2009, 03:50 PM
The Golf is great for winter. I have an old GTI that's lowered and it's my ski car. As long as you have good winter tires, you'll have no problem getting around.

I do all my own maintenance so it's pretty cheap for me.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2r4izpg.jpg

boxy
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
For the next couple years, I won't be driving much at all, as school is very closeby and I can only imagine taking long trips for the occasional touring. After my degree, I really have no idea what direction my life will go, but most likely it'll require some commuting.

I kind of planned on graphing the cost of ownership between diesel and gas to see when I'd be benefiting from the slightly higher price of diesel. I'd have to make some assumptions of course, but it'd probably be the best way to go to determine which model would give me the best value over time.

From simply eyeballing it, the 20-30% better fuel efficiency of a diesel should more than makeup for the maybe 10-15% difference in fuel prices. I have no idea about engine maintenance though, do diesel engines generally cost more to maintain over time? I thought they were pretty hardy. :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
If you're not planning to drive much over the next two years and this will be your first car, you should consider buying used.

boxy
10-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I know first cars tend to be used ones, but what practical purpose is there for such a trend? It seems to me the confounding influence is the fact that budget is generally lower for first-timers.

I'm actually planning on buying used (most likely just a few years old however), but I figured discussing the newest models would be a good baseline to compare different manufacturers.

Any thoughts on a used Tiguan? Fuel consumption isn't too bad for an SUV (Almost identical to an impreza :rolleyes: )

Weapon_R
10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
It sounds like a Civic would be good enough for what you need. No need to spend 30k on a car to haul around a mountain bike when any vehicle with a hitch will do the same.

boxy
10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I can't stand stuffing my bike into sedan sized trunks and folding the backseats/leaving the trunk open if need be. A hatch is just so much more versatile than a sedan, and I'll be expecting at least a few moves of location in the next few years so extra cargo capacity would be nice.

Although a 17-20k car would "suffice", I'd still like to enjoy my ride a little bit :D and try to reduce my asian stereotype quota as much as possible. Not that I care for turning heads, but I don't want to purchase a car that I will look at later and be only just satisfied with what it has to offer.

Darkenergy
10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Ever thought about a Fit or a Yaris, both have a hatch. As for ride quality I don't know since I've never driven either of em.

adidas
10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
FiveFreshFish,

I like your HIDs :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sentry
10-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Out of those I would definitely get a 3. I would be looking out for deals on a Mazdaspeed car. :D

msommers
10-12-2009, 06:37 PM
What about a Nissan Rogue? They can be had sub 30k. A friend of mine just bought one, the 4 cylinder. Thing is fantastic on gas and has a ton of room in it. AWD available sub 30k too.

FiveFreshFish
10-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by adidas
FiveFreshFish,

I like your HIDs :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks. I got rid of those and recently replaced them with S2000 retrofits. :D

Tomaz
10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Looks like you have a good list right now. The VW is a cool little car! The mileage can’t be beat, but those maintenance bills can be horrendous! The Imprezza is a fantastic car. AWD, lots of room, and they have a reputation for being built quite strong.

This might seem biased, but my vote would go to the Mazda 3.

So far it has been the best car I have owned! It seems to hit a lot of points most people are looking for.

-Looks (IMO)
-Fuel Economy
-Practicality
-Enough power to move around freely
-Lots of space
-Plenty of options available without blowing the budget.

There is a lot of these cars on the road for a reason. They are inexpensive, generally reliable (you will always find lemons no matter who the manufacturer), and it meets a lot of specs that most people want.

sputnik
10-13-2009, 09:47 AM
I think you might want to ask yourself some other questions first.

- How much cash do you have for a down payment?
- How are you paying for the rest of the vehicle?
- How long will you be financing your new car?
- Do you own your own house/condo?
- If not, when will you want to own your own house/condo?
- Will your car be your sole/largest personal asset?

Remember that if you have a $30,000 loan prior to getting a mortgage you may not be able to be approved for one when you want to stop renting.

boxy
10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Great points Tomax and sputnik. My financial situation is pretty sound, I'm generally very frugal/on top of my expenditures. I could actually spend up to $40k but I'm budgeting for under $30k so I have a bit of cushion for unexpected costs :)

I own and live in a townhouse with five tenants/roommates. The house is under my name, and with the rent I'm only paying about $200 out of pocket for the house :)

The Mazda 3 is pretty much the middle ground between the Golf and Impreza in terms of balancing value with performance. More customization is possible with a mazda 3, however I'm not totally in love with the smiley face front grill :dunno: . Maybe I'll look into the last generation.

Another small and ridiculous con of buying a Mazda is that my aunt has the same car :D

I know someone mentioned this earlier, but how important do you guys think AWD is for canadian winters? Of course I'll be getting a set of winter tires for whichever car I buy, but will that be enough on a 2WD vehicle to negate any possible slipping?

This decision is going to be a lot trickier than I expected. These three models seem to basically break even with each other when everything is considered :banghead:

sputnik
10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
I own and live in a townhouse with five tenants/roommates. The house is under my name, and with the rent I'm only paying about $200 out of pocket for the house :)

Six people in one townhouse? Do you guys all sleep on bunkbeds? How long do you plan on living with that many roommates?

I can't imagine that a potential girlfriend or wife would want to live with that many other people.

Can you afford to make payments on the car along with making payments on the townhouse with no roommates?

Criticull
10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
+1 golf, and I also like my friend's Audi A3....which you can now get in diesel.

max_boost
10-13-2009, 11:17 AM
AWD/RWD/FWD isn't even that important, it's all about the tires!

The new Golf/GTI are amazing. Such nice cars.

98type_r
10-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
AWD/RWD/FWD isn't even that important, it's all about the tires!

Yes, get yourself some decent winter tires and you shouldn't ever have any problems. I drove through 8 years in my integra with blizzaks and never once got stuck.

The Fit might leave a bit to be desired performance wise with it's small engine. However I have heard it will fit a bike inside without having to remove the front wheel.
Nissan Rogue as msommers mentioned is also a great choice for your $.

Xtrema
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Yep tires. Saw an M3 this morning going nowhere fast with what I suspect is stock summers.

FiveFreshFish
10-13-2009, 01:52 PM

Another small and ridiculous con of buying a Mazda is that my aunt has the same car :D

At one time I had the same car as my roommate. Good thing we parked at different ends of the parkade.

boxy
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Sputnik, I assure you my financial outlook has little risk involved :) . The townhouse is large and split into two floors, with three bedrooms on each floor and a separate kitchen/bathroom per floor. Girlfriends have never complained, particularly with my master bedroom ;) . Yes, I have considered the worst case scenarios.

It's interesting that you bring up the possibility of future family. I tend to think in the long term for all my purchases and a part of the reason I want a hatchback is in case any familial/pet changes occur within the next few years.

Since AWD doesn't seem to be a huge issue, looks like it's down to the golf and mazda. I'll be looking into these models with a little more scrutiny within a few weeks. I may just purchase a loaded last generation mazda 3 because the new look just isn't growing on me. :rolleyes:

Any other recommendations around the $30,000 I may have blatantly ignored are still appreciated. Thanks everyone who has already brought their opinion to the thread :)

Edit: Here's another question for you guys in the know. With the strength of the canadian dollar supposedly increasing, would going down to the states to purchase a car be worthwhile? I'm in Toronto so it's only a short drive/bus ride to the states.

FiveFreshFish
10-13-2009, 03:19 PM
With the strength of the canadian dollar supposedly increasing, would going down to the states to purchase a car be worthwhile? I'm in Toronto so it's only a short drive/bus ride to the states.

Yes, a lot of cars were brought into Canada in '07 to '08 when the buck was near, at or over par. The US economy is worse off now than it was then so car prices there should be favourable.

If you can live with a speedometer with MPH on the major scale (and km/h on minor scale), then you'll be fine. You can pick up interesting cars that were never offered for sale new in Canada, like the Golf R32.

Tomaz
10-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

You can pick up interesting cars that were never offered for sale new in Canada, like the Golf R32.

Sex on wheels right there!

Though I would still be sceptical of buying my daily driver from the states. I like having warranty on my side.

OP, you mentioned the look of the newest mazda 3, and I agree 100%. I bought the 2009 and am not dissapointed at all with the styling. The 2010 might grow on you after looking at them, but who knows. If I was to buy a 2010, be sure that the car would be black. The humpback whale smile is less noticable when the car is black. As for the drivetrain, it really does not matter when you have proper rubber on.

boxy
10-13-2009, 05:01 PM
So the difference is that warranties would not be honoured here? There's quite a large price difference, at least a few thousand dollars, between US and CAN prices on the models I have in mind. I could just drive down to Buffalo whenever I needed warranty service :rolleyes:

FiveFreshFish
10-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Sex on wheels right there!

Though I would still be sceptical of buying my daily driver from the states. I like having warranty on my side.

Mine has warranty until 09/2010. :D Car was purchased as a CPO from a US dealer by the previous owner.

So the difference is that warranties would not be honoured here? There's quite a large price difference, at least a few thousand dollars, between US and CAN prices on the models I have in mind. I could just drive down to Buffalo whenever I needed warranty service :rolleyes:
There are some manufacturers that have a fully transferable warranty between US and Canada. I remember a beyond member bought a brand new Subaru STi off the lot in the US and drove it back to Calgary with full warranty. Some are pricks about it like BMW where in the past they required a stupid recall clearance letter that would cost you $500, and something about an instrument cluster swap.

The problem with driving to Buffalo is that it's possible that the issue needing warranty may disable your car.

boxy
10-13-2009, 11:17 PM
I wasn't actually intending to pursue warranty service in the states if needed lol, it would be a deal breaker if I couldn't get warranty service up here if I bought in the US.

I'll be sure to put that on my list of questions if I do decide to make the trip after exams in spring. What exactly is a CPO? :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
10-14-2009, 12:33 AM
CPO = certified pre-owned.

CPO cars usually have two more years of factory-backed warranty added to the original warranty provided it meets certain conditions. Things covered in the original factory warranty may or may not be covered by the CPO warranty.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=cpoMain&bhcp=1
http://www.toyotacertified.com/warranty.html
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/cpo/warranty/default.aspx
http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/certified.html
http://www.drive.subaru.com/Win07_preowned.htm

boxy
10-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Cheers for the links FFF :)

boxy
10-18-2009, 09:12 PM
So as a little update, the 5dr Impreza sport package (in race blue :D ) looks to be my top pick. The Mazda 3 isn't that much more fuel efficient and I can't imagine it being a nicer ride.

Unfortunately, my conscience is still nagging me about the Golf's much higher practicality/value. :dunno:

psycoticclown
10-18-2009, 10:32 PM
:thumbsup: for Impreza.

You can also take a look at a used A3, luxurious, pretty decent fuel consumption and amazing AWD system. Prices on ebay are around 17-28k CAD which is really good. Volvo C30 T5's are amazing too, pretty damn quick also. And they look great:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/volvo-c30-front-quarter-cosmic-white.jpg

:drool:

There's 2 on ebay, 23k-25k.

dyummy
10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
:thumbsup: for Impreza.

You can also take a look at a used A3, luxurious, pretty decent fuel consumption and amazing AWD system. Prices on ebay are around 17-28k CAD which is really good. Volvo C30 T5's are amazing too, pretty damn quick also. And they look great:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/volvo-c30-front-quarter-cosmic-white.jpg

:drool:

There's 2 on ebay, 23k-25k.

I definately reccomend the a3 i would go with the 2.0T to save gas on those long drives but if quattro is a must you might have a hard time finding one for cheap cause the 2.0T quattro only came out in 2009

infiniti.
10-19-2009, 05:52 PM
How about an fx35? I happen have one for sale under your budget with 52k on it.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/282079/fs-2003-infiniti-fx35/

preludez
10-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I've browsed this informative forum for years now without really contributing, and I'm finally nearing the purchase of my first car, which will happen in the spring/summer of next year. I'd like some personal nominations for any rides you'd think would suit me. I'd love to put money down for a G35 or something more sporty but I must restrain myself and be practical about this :P

Here are my rough needs:

Hatchback: mostly for driving my mtn bike around Ontario and road tripping, feel free to convince me a sedan would work too.
Automatic: Never learned manual, and in two years my future will be unpredictable so city driving will probably be a reality
Great fuel economy: Speaks for itself
Various interior features are bonuses, but if having a garage install an aftermarket sound system makes more sense than getting the OEM option, I'll do that instead.

My current interests are in the 2009/2010 Golf TDI comfortline, mazda 3, and impreza 2.5i sport package. I'd love some personal experiences if anyone has them!

From other threads, I've already gathered useful sites for some homework (autotrader, beat the car salesman, etc) but personal insight is something that is hard to google.

Any input is greatly appreciated :)
Jason

30,000? wow that's a lot man.. u can buy 4 skyline for that money.. i would say spend ur money wisely if u look car for fun..

boxy
10-19-2009, 08:34 PM
The car isn't just for fun unfortunately. That FX35 is nice, but doesn't have the fuel efficiency I'm looking for (also, not black :D ) I'll look into the Volvo C30, I hadn't even heard of it until now. Thanks for the heads up :)

FiveFreshFish
10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
C30 is a rare car. I've only seen a C30 about a half dozen times over the past couple of years here in Calgary.

Tomaz
10-19-2009, 11:23 PM
i want a C30 so bad! Such an awesome car. But i dont think that will meet the praticallity the op is looking for.

boxy
10-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I can probably only afford a baseline/mid-trim C30, and it has the same amount of engine power (on paper anyway) as a baseline impreza, which is a good 8-10k less. Interesting looking car though, I might as well put it on the list of test-drives anyway.

psycoticclown
10-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Used is definitely cheaper than 30k. And it'll be an 07 or 08. Those C30 with the R-line packages look like pure sex :drool:

bituerbo
10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Buy this 8 passenger enclosed hovercraft with trailer. Spend the extra $27,000 bringing it up to Canada. Icefield explorations? This thing practically SCREAMS "I'll pay for myself within 15 years".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOVERCRAFT-Enclosed-8-Passenger-with-Trailer_W0QQitemZ250517022580QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_Vehicles_Everything_Else?hash=item3a53fa6774

boxy
10-22-2009, 09:24 PM
If that hovercraft was street legal I'd seriously consider it, epic. :nut:

May test drive an Impreza GT and 2010 Golf in the coming weeks. Will post impressions later :)

Kavy
10-22-2009, 10:20 PM
My vote would be towards the Impreza as costs would be lower then with the VW, and you can't be AWD in alberta.
I have owned both and I was much happier with the subby then the VW, especially after a scheduled maintenance.

Resale is where I would flip however as it will be higher on the VW then it will be on the subaru, if that is important to you (ie not a lease) you might want to take that into consideration.

Im not a fan of the 3 and its smiley face either. I also have yet to meet someone who hasn't had an issue with one, but the only people I know who own them are females who care more about the vanity mirror then maintenance so take that with a gain of salt.

boxy
10-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Was your VW the TDI version? If so, would I be able to infer that diesel engines are harder/more expensive to maintain than regular gas?

Overtime, I was estimating that the fuel efficiency would make the Golf the cheaper choice ($4000 estimated savings over 8 years compared to the Suby), however, I assumed that both vehicles had roughly the same amount of cost in terms of maintenance. Is my assumption really flawed? :(

Stedenko
10-29-2009, 06:58 PM
People have said this, but you have to be super careful stuffing your mountain bike into the back of a hatch. Mine would just barely fit into the back of my 2008 STI, but you end up rubbing and scratching everything up. Sucks to fill your car with mud after a wet ride too.

The STI has a big payload area, and it was still a squeeze. You'll never get a full size mountain bike into the back of a C30 or a Mazda3. Plus, racks are better if you're driving a friend who's going with you.

I guess you'll fit it if you don't mind taking both wheels off. I'd only take the front off in the Subaru.

I sold that car, but even if I end up with another hatch I'll put a rack on it.

Hey, this is my first post ever in beyond.ca

slinkie
10-29-2009, 07:00 PM
yea, our mazdaspeed3 can't fit a (womens) bike without taking front wheel off

boxy
10-30-2009, 01:30 AM
Wow seriously guys? I had simply assumed it was enough space, as I only had to take the front wheel off for a regular sedan trunk...

That pretty much changes everything. If a rack is really the only/best way to go, sedans become a huge field of options :eek:

Looks like I'll be hitting Google again...

FiveFreshFish
10-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Mountain bike easily fits inside a Honda Fit's back seat in the upright position. Front wheel removed of course.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_01.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_01.JPG) http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_02.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_02.JPG) http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_03.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_03.JPG) http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_04.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_04.JPG) http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_05.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_05.JPG)

http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_06.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_06.JPG) http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_07.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_07.JPG) http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_08.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_08.JPG) http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_09.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_09.JPG) http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_10.t.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/Bike/Fit_bike_10.JPG)

boxy
12-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey guys, it's been a while and I thought I'd update on the situation.

Currently my sights are set on the 2010 Golf TDI, priced at around 31-32k all in hopefully. It's a little pricey, but I don't like any of the older generation Golfs and haven't stumbled across any competing models that have caught my eye.

I'll be test driving cars over the holidays, any other suggestions out there for potential models to look at? I'll most likely just hit up every dealership in the area to get a feel for the cars and try to avoid the sales speech as much as I can.

I'll post impressions on models if you guys are interested in particular ones and want a neutral opinion :)

igotacookie
12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
try a used mazda3 hatchback. They are not as frugal but if you get it 1-3 years old your going to be saving 15-20k over that Golf TDI. 20k = a lot of gas money.

Anyways just my input
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2006-Mazda-Mazda3-Hatchback-Sweet-Car-Divorce-Sale-W0QQAdIdZ173102673

huanic
12-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).