PDA

View Full Version : What's Going On With Burger Kings?

sexualbanana
10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
It seems to have started a few years ago with the hiring shortages, but I remember back in the day when there were BK's and they were open late. Now, about half of them have shut down, and the other half only seem to be open during the day.

As far as I knew, there were 6 in the city. Now, 3 of the 6 are closed and the only reason I don't know about the other 3 are because I haven't been in the area in awhile.

What's the beef?

turbotrip
10-13-2009, 08:35 PM
the crowfoot bk is open late (till 2am 5 days a week) and the one on 52nd is open till 3am everyday i believe

but ur right they definitely need to open more burgerkings :drool:

sr20s14zenki
10-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Just got a double whopper at the one on country hills. MMMMMMMmmmmmm

FiveFreshFish
10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
According to the BK website, there are 9 in Calgary.

http://www.burgerking.ca/en/Location/FindBK.aspx?localeId=1&uid=TopMenu_FindABK

sexualbanana
10-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
According to the BK website, there are 9 in Calgary.

http://www.burgerking.ca/en/Location/FindBK.aspx?localeId=1&uid=TopMenu_FindABK

Nice. I'm not counting the stupid overpriced one at the Chinook Theatre. Nor am I counting any that are in a food court (ie. The one downtown). And that one on 25th Ave looks like it's in that new City of Calgary, so I can only assume that's in the cafeteria or something. Guess I should have indicated that I was talking about standalone BK's.

The 3 that I know are closed is the one on MacLeod and Glenmore (ish), on 16th Ave, and in Deer Run.

turbotrip
10-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

The 3 that I know are closed is the one on MacLeod and Glenmore (ish), on 16th Ave, and in Deer Run.

the one on 16th closed down

narou
10-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Thats because BK fails for the majority of people...:rolleyes: I don't like McDicks either but I guess im in the minority on that one.

ReflexFX
10-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Theres another standalone BK on 52nd st. and memorial drive. But thats in the NE... :guns:

Mys73ri0
10-14-2009, 03:34 AM
There's one in Somerset -on your right side off of 162nd

- open 24 hours a day at least it still was 2 weeks ago last time i was there...

msommers
10-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't think I've ever eaten a BK burger in my life...or Harvey's for that matter:nut:

mowglee
10-14-2009, 08:47 AM
its been so long since I had Burger King. Boogie's Burger FTW!

masoncgy
10-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Their food sucks ass... that's why they're slower than molasses the majority of the time and locations have closed down without re-opening elsewhere.

It's nasty food... seriously nasty.

If it wasn't for the lunch rush in the NE during the week, the one on Barlow @ 37 Ave would be shuttered too. It's probably the next candidate though, I can't imagine it's overly profitable, there's never anyone there outside of five 1-hour blocks during the week.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-14-2009, 09:35 AM
I never liked Buger King. They must not be getting enough business to stay open.

Gainsbarre
10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
I've thought about stopping by the one on 16th avenue a couple of times (as it's not too far from where I live), but never did.

I just thought of that location as awful -- halfway between SAIT and the U of C but not within walking distance of either. The site was a big open field up until about 10 years ago, and I never saw the BK there as very busy...you could barely see it from 16th ave -- I hated the location. Ya and speaking of hiring shortages, I think their big sign (which you could barely notice from the highway) constantly said "now hiring".

I miss the one on Macleod though because that's the one my parents took me to as a kid after the one at Northland (where the Cheesecake Cafe is now) shut down around 1991. Many fond memories of the ball pit at the Macleod location...

The damn one here in Bankers Hall needs to start having those "King Deals" that they keep promoting.

Jsen-DC2
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
double stacker combo..... MHMMMHMM:drool:

Proyecto2000
10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
after reading this thread earlier this morning I decided to go to BK and order a whopper. Instead I got a mushroom swiss steakhouse burger and man was it ever good :drool:

dino_martini
10-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
after reading this thread earlier this morning I decided to go to BK and order a whopper. Instead I got a mushroom swiss steakhouse burger and man was it ever good :drool:

Yeah man. The Steakhouse burger is sooooo good :drool:

Proyecto2000
10-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Yeah man. The Steakhouse burger is sooooo good :drool:

its officially my favorite burger now, I just need the will power to avoid ordering the poutine as part of the combo lol

Crymson
10-14-2009, 01:18 PM
That "angry whopper" they have right now, with the crispy onions, jalapenos, bacon and spicy cheese kicks alot of ass.

beyond_ban
10-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Jsen-DC2
double stacker combo..... MHMMMHMM:drool:

I raise you with an 8 paddy stacker. I wish i still had my old BB so i had the pic. Ridiculous amounts of cheese/bacon/sauce.

Pollywog
10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Burger King in Shawnessy was fully operational when I was there about a week ago. :dunno:

Like most people here said, its shit food so why bother when there are good alternatives. I'd take harvey's, burger inn...hell even Mcdonalds and Wendy's over BK. Other than changing things up once in a while and going there, or grabbing a poutine, im not much for Burger King.

Weapon_R
10-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Shit food and always filthy. I haven't found one that doesn't gross me out - either from the mess inside or the dirty people working the front (and the thought of whats working behind...)

Skyline_Addict
10-14-2009, 01:35 PM
it is because Peter Chao girlfriend eat there too often!

bulaian
10-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
That "angry whopper" they have right now, with the crispy onions, jalapenos, bacon and spicy cheese kicks alot of ass.

try the angry chicken tendercrisp mmmmm :drool:

sexualbanana
10-15-2009, 01:49 AM
I think the Whopper is one of the best burgers around (when we're talking about fast food franchises). I thought it was a really tasty burger with the mayo and tomatoes. Splash a little Tabasco and I thought it was heaven.

SScott
10-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Fuck Burgerking, and Fuck Canadian Fast Food..

:cry: US and A fast food is so much better..

I hope We get a Carl's Jr over here soon

npham
10-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by SScott
Fuck Burgerking, and Fuck Canadian Fast Food..

:cry: US and A fast food is so much better..

I hope We get a Carl's Jr over here soon

...US of A? Unless this "US and A" is a fast food joint I don't know about.

Shogged
10-15-2009, 02:33 AM
burger king went through a restructuring just before the boom busted if i recall correctly. It was brought on by the fact that their food quality took a huge shit and people stopped going. So they closed a bunch of locations to cut costs and rebranded themselves with the old branding "have it your way"

now that we're in a recession, they're not exactly poised to do as well as other fast food restaurants simply because they aren't as strong of a presence anymore. Hence why more locations have closed and you haven't seen any new ones spring up because there just isn't any extra cashflow atm!

SScott
10-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by npham

...US of A? Unless this "US and A" is a fast food joint I don't know about.

Borat reference

Jay911
10-15-2009, 03:12 AM
Burger King's quality has gone down sharply ever since it became hard to get staff when the oil boom was going strong. The Airways location off Barlow x 37 would close at 5pm randomly and eventually closed all day Sundays. I get the feeling the management was pretty shoddy there. It must have turned around, because they seem to be open more hours now. As for the one on 16th, it was a poor location primarily because you can't easily get in/out of it unless you're eastbound on 16th. Going westbound from there is nearly impossible without about 15 extra blocks of meandering. Add the fact that they didn't give a crap if they got your order right or not, and it was like they were turning people away.

BTW - to whoever said that area was "a field" before BK was there.. no it wasn't - it was Varsity Chrysler until they moved the dealership, and then all those shops popped up on the old dealership lot.

sputnik
10-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Jay911
Burger King's quality has gone down sharply ever since it became hard to get staff when the oil boom was going strong. The Airways location off Barlow x 37 would close at 5pm randomly and eventually closed all day Sundays. I get the feeling the management was pretty shoddy there. It must have turned around, because they seem to be open more hours now.

That location couldn't find enough staff so they only stayed open during the busier weekday breakfast/lunch crowds in the area.

That area in general is pretty dead during the weekends.

nonlinear
10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
a lot of you are saying the food sucks or whatever, but I have to say that I actually like their burgers, probably more than mcdonalds. i like that flame broiled taste, haha. i do agree that their fries suck, though. not a fan of that batter they put on the outside.

and SScott, for the record, BK is an American chain.

I have noticed that their stores in calgary are pretty shit compared to the ones in the US, and since i've lived here several of them have been closed and/or have really weird hours, because they claim they can't find staff, etc. I'm sort of guessing that it has more to do with the local franchise owner(s), or the local market, than the chain itself, because I haven't noticed this at any of the locations back home in the states. in fact, I know of several locations that have been in the same place for over 30 years.

flipstah
10-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I've had nothing but bad experiences with BK in both Canada and the US.

Their food isn't that great anyways. Better than McDick's but not as awesome as Wendy's or Carl's Jr. in terms of US franchises.

Originally posted by msommers
I don't think I've ever eaten a BK burger in my life...or Harvey's for that matter:nut:

Harvey's?! You're totally missing out brother. Harvey's fries are :drool:

sexualbanana
10-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Shogged
burger king went through a restructuring just before the boom busted if i recall correctly. It was brought on by the fact that their food quality took a huge shit and people stopped going. So they closed a bunch of locations to cut costs and rebranded themselves with the old branding "have it your way"

now that we're in a recession, they're not exactly poised to do as well as other fast food restaurants simply because they aren't as strong of a presence anymore. Hence why more locations have closed and you haven't seen any new ones spring up because there just isn't any extra cashflow atm!

I figured it was a regional management issue since it's happened to so many local BK's

Originally posted by Jay911
Burger King's quality has gone down sharply ever since it became hard to get staff when the oil boom was going strong. The Airways location off Barlow x 37 would close at 5pm randomly and eventually closed all day Sundays. I get the feeling the management was pretty shoddy there. It must have turned around, because they seem to be open more hours now.

The other BK's had similar hours. I remember going to the one on MacLeod and Glenmore and they had a sign in their drive-thru that literally stated that they were open til 5pm on Saturdays, and open whenever they can get staff on Sunday.

Sakui77
10-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Tried BK a week ago after work, and shit it taste way worst than McDicks lol. McDicks here I come back for your cheap food.

yeahyeah
10-15-2009, 11:20 PM
McDicks = not real meat.

BK = delicious

$4.29 king deals are FTW especially on wednesdays or sundays

masoncgy
10-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Whoppers are bland... like... real bland. No flavour at all. Their fries are nasty, so are those so-called onion rings which are probably tapeworms dipped in the blandest batter you can find.

That's what I hate about BK... their food is bland... no flavour. You have to dip everything in sauce to make it edible.

It's the same complaint about Wendy's... their 'classic' burger line is bland. Burgers NEED mustard on them, in addition to pickles & onions, a little spice on the meat doesn't hurt either. It's supposed to be flavourful. I don't like it when I can't tell what's got more taste, the burger or the wrapper it's served in.

Teen Burgers are one of my faves... love Harvey's too, since I can order the burger the way I want it!

gqmw
10-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Whoppers are bland... like... real bland.

Are you serious?

Whoppers are like the perfect combination of onions, lettuce, meat, and sauce....:drool:

xxxazntigerxx
10-16-2009, 09:08 PM
mcdonalds double cheese burgers own

masoncgy
10-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
Are you serious?

Whoppers are like the perfect combination of onions, lettuce, meat, and sauce....:drool:

Indeed I'm serious. Bland ass burgers.

There's a reason why Burger King is not an overly successful chain in Calgary, and it's really got nothing to do with staffing and everything to do with turning a profit.

If we loved their food, they would be all over the place and busy, like A&W, McDonalds, etc... places that actually have customers and lots of them.

;)

deaftone
10-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Y'all need to drive out to Rocky's Burger Bus.

xxxazntigerxx
10-16-2009, 10:28 PM
true whoppers are ot very tastey i choose a bigmac over that anyday

Pollywog
10-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by yeahyeah
McDicks = not real meat.

Pull that straight out of your ass?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/Picture15-1.png (http://mcdonalds.ca/en/food/index.aspx)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/Picture14-1.png (http://mcdonalds.ca/en/food/myth_busters.aspx)

D. Dub
10-17-2009, 09:04 AM
From my understanding Burger King is changing the design of their stores -- requiring franchisees to put up extra capital. Perhaps that is why some of the marginal stores have shut down?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/burger-king-goes-upscale-in-downturn/article1314492/

http://www.glgroup.com/News/Burger-King-Shuffling-The-Deck--44211.html

msommers
10-17-2009, 10:40 AM
There was this burger joint we'd stop at on the way to Fort Mac called Wally's...fuck I wish I could remember which town it was in. Past Edmonton I know that much.

sexualbanana
10-17-2009, 05:23 PM

Indeed I'm serious. Bland ass burgers.

There's a reason why Burger King is not an overly successful chain in Calgary, and it's really got nothing to do with staffing and everything to do with turning a profit.

If we loved their food, they would be all over the place and busy, like A&W, McDonalds, etc... places that actually have customers and lots of them.

;)

big bacon classics at wendy's are good.

nonlinear
10-17-2009, 07:01 PM
i think wendy's and BK have way more flavourful burgers than McD's. not sure how some of you can say they suck. I'm also not a fan of Harvey's, since i've only eaten there twice, but i remember thinking that the burger patty had a really shitty texture to it. it reminded me of cheap no-name patties, or the ones they sling at Peter's Drive in or CB Hamburger Inn :barf:

I was reading one of the articles above, and it said that it was the #2 largest hamburger chain in the states, just behind McD's. that makes sense cause they are seriously EVERYWHERE in the states. not sure why they aren't bigger here in Calgary, but then again Calgary has kind of a fucked up market IMO. Like seriously, you can't find a supermarket open after 11. pretty much anywhere else i've ever lived, supermarkets (and drug stores and wal-mart, etc.) were always 24 hours, no questions asked!

masoncgy
10-19-2009, 09:07 AM
^ It's easy. Their food SUCKS! ;)

Obviously, people tend to agree. It would be a bustling, busy chain in Calgary otherwise. People in this city like to eat out, and eat out a lot... however, BK obviously doesn't rank high on people's lists of places to go, otherwise we wouldn't have a 3-page thread about why their locations are closing/closed or not open very long during the day.

BK fails. Perhaps Americans like their crappy food... we don't.

xxxazntigerxx
10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
^^true dat

nonlinear
10-19-2009, 08:55 PM
^ It's easy. Their food SUCKS! ;)

Obviously, people tend to agree. It would be a bustling, busy chain in Calgary otherwise. People in this city like to eat out, and eat out a lot... however, BK obviously doesn't rank high on people's lists of places to go, otherwise we wouldn't have a 3-page thread about why their locations are closing/closed or not open very long during the day.

BK fails. Perhaps Americans like their crappy food... we don't.

just like people don't like 24-hour shopping, or product diversity in the supermarkets, right? the rest of the world must be wrong, cause those things just plain SUCK :)

masoncgy
10-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
just like people don't like 24-hour shopping, or product diversity in the supermarkets, right? the rest of the world must be wrong, cause those things just plain SUCK :)

lol... well, the matter of BK's shitty ass food is a little different than a lack of demand for 24/7 shopping... ;)

..but I get your point. :thumbsup:

charlie_su1986
10-22-2009, 01:15 PM
i think wendy's and BK have way more flavourful burgers than McD's. not sure how some of you can say they suck.

Same here, to me Mcdonalds burger are just plain and boring.

However i do like their breakfast though... suasage n egg mcmuffin :drool:

GQBalla
10-22-2009, 01:17 PM
the best fast food joint is harveys

the burgers are always good

nonlinear
10-22-2009, 01:18 PM
what calgary needs is White Castle :drool: :drool: :drool:

SScott
10-22-2009, 01:51 PM
what calgary needs is a White Castle and a Carl's JR :drool: :drool: :drool:

FIXED

nonlinear
10-22-2009, 01:55 PM
you've obviously never had either of those, eh?

;)

Fcuk
10-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Pull that straight out of your ass?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/Picture15-1.png (http://mcdonalds.ca/en/food/index.aspx)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/Picture14-1.png (http://mcdonalds.ca/en/food/myth_busters.aspx)

I like mcdonalds don't get me wrong however, I heard the 100% pure beef is the company name and not actually really 100%.

SScott
10-22-2009, 02:01 PM
you've obviously never had either of those, eh?

;)

Hell yeah i've had both.

White Castle in Queens NY. Ghetto as fuck but pounded out just under a dozen sliders lol. And Carl's/Hardees I enjoy every trip down south along the west coast. I love both...

If we were talking about Chicken, it would be Blasphemy not to mention Popeyes :drool:

The_Rural_Juror
10-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Fcuk

I like mcdonalds don't get me wrong however, I heard the 100% pure beef is the company name and not actually really 100%.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Urban Legend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_urban_legends#100.25_Beef_.28company.29)

Another popular urban legend is that McDonald's gets their beef and related supplies from a company named 100% Beef so they can use the phrase 100% Beef in their advertising. Advocates of this rumor point out the fact that the word Beef is capitalized, suggesting this a trade name. In fact, there is no such company named 100% Beef, and the origin of this rumor is unknown at this time.

Supa Dexta
10-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Back in the day BK used to be one of the higher end fast food joints, with only certain towns here and there having one.. People would make a trip to go to them.

extm88
10-29-2009, 02:56 PM
ahh first impresison of carls jr was awful....i didnt even order. walked into the one right beside the strat in vegas and i coulda sworn the bugs on the floor were cockroaches.
Im petrified of certain bugs lol so couldnt get close but my buddy confirmed for me and he even ordered.

cjay^
10-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I love Burger King. Get the tendercrisp sandwich and the king deal for the day - no combo of course. $7.63 for a lot of food.

swak
10-29-2009, 04:14 PM
The burger King on 16th ave and 19th street is closed
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kavy
10-29-2009, 04:42 PM
IMO

In and Out is the best burger franchise, followed by fat burger. I'm talking taste wise here.

Burger king is about 3 steps up from Mac's (which is a 0 in my books) and if they had decent fries or onion rings of quality they would be a bigger player.