PDA

View Full Version : Winter Ricers Rant...

Pages : [1] 2

EK 2.0
10-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Now, I am not judging anyone on all seasons...as the car I am currently using because of the heated seat option is running on all seasons...But of course a dedicated winter is much better than what I am riding on....but continue reading...

But in an attempt to drop off my baby sister at work today, I am behind some 1995 Generation Civic hatch...with your 12k fake HID's...I am wondering why you cannot get anywhere every single fucking time the light turns green...

I attempted to give you the benefit of the doubt and maybe it's your first winter, maybe your car is super gutted so its the JDM lightweight conversion...but when I get the chance finally cause of an open spot I pull along side you as I pass...and you are running on 18" fucking wheels??...in 3 plus centimeters of snow??....fucking tool....I hope you slip and slide and curb those pieces of ebay shit...And on the drive back home...I spot about another 4 ricers trying to pull the same shit...

And to the rest of beyond that has already swapped their tires, or parked their cars...I know, I know it happens every year...but like for fuck sakes...

OK, rant over...thanks for reading...

GQBalla
10-14-2009, 07:51 AM
I agree.

yesterday i almost got hit walking home crossing the st in on 9th ave.

a ricerboy with his windows blacked out to shit and with summers on slid into the fucken pedestrian crossing.

good thing with my ninja skills i avoided him.

cept he was driving a mustang ahaha

Tik-Tok
10-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
sister

Pics?

edit: sorry, I had to. :rofl:

EK 2.0
10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Pics?

edit: sorry, I had to. :rofl:

S'all good...I sort of set myself up for it...haha

Masked Bandit
10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Come on man, if it wasn't for these idiots out there I (insurance guy) would be making a lot less money. These guys cause all kinds of accidents due to enraging the general driving population.

:D

Seriously though, if your vehicle isn't half-way decent in the winter, get the hell off the roads.

GQBalla
10-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Come on man, if it wasn't for these idiots out there I (insurance guy) would be making a lot less money. These guys cause all kinds of accidents due to enraging the general driving population.

:D

lol so does insurance of the ricer boy pay for injuries if they hit someone in a pedestrian crossing?

Eleanor
10-14-2009, 08:19 AM
18's on an EG civic in the summer is stupid enough :D

rockanrepublic
10-14-2009, 08:45 AM
i got an appointment with tire bob in exactly one week tell then ill be moseying around town
but im pure stock baby. :bigpimp:

mowglee
10-14-2009, 08:55 AM
I don't mean to take over the thread, but I HATE when people say "Don't drive if you don't have to. The roads are bad." Well then get some friggin winter tires and stop complaining :banghead: :banghead:

n1zm0
10-14-2009, 08:57 AM
i'm waiting for the annual winter accident spotted thread with the picture of a R32/Z32 on 18 inch cracked and weathered 10 year old japanese advan neovas in a ditch or into a curb, with the 16-18 year old retard who blew all his parents $/ first job savings on the thing instead of $2k for a winter beater and some winter tires, standing in front of it with his cellphone calling daddy.

you know it's going to happen cause they're getting smarter by the year.

oh yeah... /rant

ianmcc
10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
I swapped the snow tires on yesterday-before this big dump of snow. Still took me 35 minutes to get the kids to school (normally a 5 min. drive). Instead of slugging it out in traffic I parked at Sobeys and walked them the last two blocks to school. As I was walking back I saw the same black truck with lo-profile sport truck tires I was behind for the longest time.
Better to have them on and not need them than to need them and not have them on.

JfuckinC
10-14-2009, 09:11 AM
lol i just took my dads truck to work today. It made me finally decide on buying a new truck instead of getting winters :rofl:
Time to truck shop :love:

max_boost
10-14-2009, 09:11 AM
These winter ricers are pro drivers and do not need winter tires. They know the limits of their cars and can drive accordingly.

Fuck I love those arguments. :rofl:

For anyone with a brain, seriously go drive your car on all seasons, summers or whatever and then go drive it again with a winter specific Q/R/S/T rated tire and tell me if there's a difference or not and which you would prefer.

But still, it's easier to blame the City for not doing a better job of snow removal. :devil:

mowglee
10-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
lol i just took my dads truck to work today. It made me finally decide on buying a new truck instead of getting winters :rofl:

I drove my dads 4x4 yesterday and i like the way my accord handles in the snow better

DonJuan
10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Sorry guys, but I was lazy on thanksgiving Monday and didnt heed the weather man's warning. I have 17s on the Bluebird but with some meanish all seasons. Made it to work without incident, they were not all over the road or anything, made it up nose hill and all that without issue. Going home was fine. As soon as I got home, I changed it to my winter wheels. No more ballin' for the JayZ concert.

Q-TIP
10-14-2009, 09:34 AM
All-seasons are entirely different than summers. At least they preserve some minute pretense of winter traction.

Granted I had the pleasure of towing a smokin' hot daddy's girl up Shaganappi trail this morning because her SLK couldn't hack the job. Ended up getting a number and she asked if I could be her "own personal tow truck".

I pondered that one for a minute, then I realized that I missed coffee for that bitch.

Mibz
10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
...I put my winters on my stock 17s, am I rice?
Oh wait, I drive a Neon, I'm all rice all the time.

max_boost
10-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Qtip, pics of this slk girl? Haha mine is parked. Even with winters I'm not driving it, too low and will plow everything.

Kloubek
10-14-2009, 10:00 AM
There are plenty of people out there who have been caught by the "unexpected" dump of snow. Not everyone has had time to change their tires over.... or so they believe. We received snow in October. Shocking.

Perhaps the owner of the ricer you speak of did not have the money to be purchasing another set of tires. I know it is ridiculous to put summer tires on 18's, then drive it around in the winter, but the kind of person who has a riced out Civic probably isn't the most mature and thoughful individual on the planet either. (ie: Young and inexperienced in driver matters) They probably purchased their wheels and tires without considering the winter issues it may cause.

Similar to this situation, when I was about 20, I purchased a 91 Camaro Z28. I put most of it on loan, and when winter came it turned out I did not have enough money to buy new tires. So I drove on worn Eagle F1's, until I realized I wasn't getting anywhere and finally decided to take out a 31% loan (all I could get at the time) to buy tires. I could barely find credit anywhere for the tires, and perhaps this kid had the same issue.

Now, when I purchased the Camaro COULD I have thought about the tire condition and type of car for the upcoming winter? Sure. But I didn't. I don't consider myself a stupid guy... I was just young, immature, and inexperienced.

Redlyne_mr2
10-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Qtip, pics of this slk girl? Haha mine is parked. Even with winters I'm not driving it, too low and will plow everything.
:bigpimp: I'm doing loser laps in my mr2 down 17th tonight.

403ep3
10-14-2009, 10:09 AM
I left my house at 6:30 expecting to get to class, MRU, on time but tht didn't happen. I had to go back home because I couldn't get up a damn hill with my all season falkens. I then proceeded to go home and slap my winters on. I'm happy I have them on!! Yesterday was bareable to drive, today, on the other hand, is not.

If you're a fwd civic, get winters! lol or really good all seasons.

Diocletian
10-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I partly blame the car manufacturers these days for building cars that are so unsuitable for winter driving. RWD, high hp and wide low profile HP tires are NOT a good choice for a winter vehicle. 10 years ago when most cars were fwd and most cars came with 15 inch all seasons, it wasn't the end of the world if people tried to drive during the winter on the factory tires.

Of course, I can't blame the automakers for those who take it upon themselves to put massive wheels and low profile tires on their cars through the aftermarket.

max_boost
10-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Maybe car dealers should throw in winter tires as part of buying a vehicle in winter lol and insurance offer a small discount for those with winters. They wouldn't be able to check everyone. Seriously there should be some sort of crackdown. Those who cause accidents should get fined for having improper equipment I.e bald tires! V-rated summers etc.

benyl
10-14-2009, 10:15 AM

weak. Cars are meant to be driven. Even in shit snow like this!

Redlyne_mr2
10-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Maybe car dealers should throw in winter tires as part of buying a vehicle in winter lol and insurance offer a small discount for those with winters. They wouldn't be able to check everyone. Seriously there should be some sort of crackdown. Those who cause accidents should get fined for having improper equipment I.e bald tires! V-rated summers etc.
We do deals where we include winters, it comes down to the sale process and the client being properly informed about the importance of winter tires. We have a massive display in our service dep that explains the importance of winter tires. I wouldnt blame the car manufacturers at all it's 100% on the people driving these vehicles.

hampstor
10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm running all season tires on 18's... i even have the "b" beyond sticker on my car too - therefore i'm a ricer!

After this winter, i'll probably have to replace all 5 tires. $1750+ in tires :cry:

bspot
10-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm a ricer running 18" Pirelli Snowsports

BigDannyCool
10-14-2009, 10:20 AM
from the looks of the weather forecast this is all the snow and cold we are going to get in the next two weeks

benyl
10-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
I'm running all season tires on 18's... i even have the "b" beyond sticker on my car too - therefore i'm a ricer!

After this winter, i'll probably have to replace all 5 tires. $1750+ in tires :cry:

Ban! +1

Impreza
10-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by benyl

:werd: I slapped on some 18" winters and I'm good to go.

94boosted
10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm running 18's however with a good dedicated winter tire and so far so good. I wish I could of ran a 17" winter rim+tire but it wouldn't fit over the front brakes :cry:

civic_stylez
10-14-2009, 10:53 AM
In my years of experience working in the car and aftermarket parts industry, it always baffled me how little knowledge people have with winter tires and winter driving skill. Many people used to come in looking for all seasons based on the " is it round? is it made of rubber? Then its fine" philosophy. Even with all the tests on the news and commercials, many people have no clue how important tires are to a car. I dont know how many sets of worn ass all season tires drive on our roads every year... it scares me! Thats my life at risk driving down the road in a freak snowstorm beside that mid 90's Calvalier with a 10 year old set of Motomaster Duragimp tires that are as bald as Mr. Clean on it. I always figured winter driving knowledge would be better in a city that has snow 8 months of the year, but we really arent. Im fortunate enough to work from home so I dont have to deal with traffic, but watching the news made me realize how my of a joke our drivers really are... those people with over-inflated, bald ass tires that put the pedal to the floor when the light turns green and the speedo reads 220kmh and theyre doing 2 kmh just making a nice track of ice behind them.... like really? If you really cant grasp the fact of winter driving ( longer brake distance, tires, idle speed to get rolling) then take the bus and keep our roads a bit safer...

Sorry to jack your rant Arif!

ekguy
10-14-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm on all seasons but they are very good ones. If it gets too slippery for them I just stay home. Although now I no longer need to do the summer to whatever switch with my tires since I am getting a 1979 Caprice for a winter beater hahaha.

Can't wait. This will be the first time since my rx7 that I am able to have a dedicated summer car hehe.

Kardon
10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
My silvia is buried, I'm not going anywhere in it not a chance. :dunno:

Sentry
10-14-2009, 11:23 AM
I picked up a set of winters last night for $175. :D

I'm getting them mounted Friday.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-14-2009, 11:28 AM
So far I've had winters every year on all my cars. I haven't got around to mounting them this year so im running worn used all seasons. Good God, what a difference. I have to drive so carefully. In residential neighborhoods I'm forced to ebrake turn corners and drift them because of the extra snow that makes me understeer. The AWD is the only thing saving my ass currently. Definitely putting my winters on next week.

88CRX
10-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Hater!

Leave me alone!

EK 2.0
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Hater!

Leave me alone!

I thought I recognized the driver but I wasn't sure...

Mar
10-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Any lighter front wheel drive vehicle is going to be better in the snow than a truck. And if it's a pickup then I can't think of anything worse than it in the snow....minivan maybe? When I lived at home I would always take my mom's Cavalier over my dad's Explorer in the snow, it handled much better and was easier to stop.

DonJuan
10-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Q-TIP

Granted I had the pleasure of towing a smokin' hot daddy's girl up Shaganappi trail this morning because her SLK couldn't hack the job. Ended up getting a number and she asked if I could be her "own personal tow truck".

I pondered that one for a minute, then I realized that I missed coffee for that bitch.

I saw her today! She was just sitting there facing Shaganappi North right by Northland mall. Old SLK. Couldn't see much inside, it was dark this morning. Could tell it was a girl.

PICS PLZ

Freebs
10-14-2009, 11:59 AM
:P hey now... I am rolling on 18's.. but than thoughts are my winter wheels...

But as people have said.. I think a lot of people got caught with their summer wheels on and had no other choice yesterday.. Also if you do not have the ability to switch your tires yourself, I can still understand because when I stopped by my local tire shop last night to see if I could get a slow leak fixed on my winters.. They were PACKED!..

scat19
10-14-2009, 12:10 PM
with your 12k fake HID's...

This is my biggest pet peeve, blind the shit out of people.

And I know there are LOTS OF BEYONDERS (white corolla, grey civic with ricer fender vents, I could go on) guilty of this. Get that HID kit out of your fucking housing allready.

My winters are 17".... I cant run 16's, they wouldn't clear the brakes.

My winters have been on since october 1st. Performance summer tires don't like flirting with 0-3 degree weather!

2EFNFAST
10-14-2009, 12:19 PM
It's amazing how drivers seem to get stupider and stupider each year - I mean, it's Calgary for crying out loud - you should be expecting snow from october to june!

heavyD
10-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I have to run 18's with an offset to clear the Brembos but they do have low profile winter tires. Set the ACD to 'SNOW' and it's almost like driving on dry pavement.

almerick
10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Having an asian parent who thinks all season tires will last 'all season' is frustrating, luckily I convinced my father to buy winters this year.

Tik-Tok
10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
It's amazing how drivers seem to get stupider and stupider each year - I mean, it's Calgary for crying out loud - you should be expecting snow from october to june!

Leading scientists have convinced us that we'll never see snow again.

V6-BoI
10-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I have to run 18's with an offset to clear the Brembos but they do have low profile winter tires. Set the ACD to 'SNOW' and it's almost like driving on dry pavement.

Lol I'm really glad to hear that it drives well. This will be the first winter I drive my car in the winter. I'm supposed to get my winter tires mounted and installed tomorrow, but I doubt I can make it to Urban X safely tomorrow with my summer tires. Guess I'll have to reschedule.

max_boost
10-14-2009, 12:46 PM

Why bother when I have a capable WRX to drive. I certainly don't need all the rocks and mud and shit plastering all over my car. I drove it for 1 winter and then said fuck it. Leave my precious alone! haha In the WRX, I just don't give a shit, mother nature can abuse it all she wants haha

benyl
10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Haha, you don't drive it anyway.

Xtrema
10-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Audi current has a promotion, you get winter tires or maintenance package.

Anyway, I can understand not having winter tires in October, I rush mine in on Sunday and glad I didn't sit on my ass. I usually don't do it til after Halloween.

I think we are in a big enough city now that any single one with traction issue causes big problem for everyone else, not counting the hit on insurance and increase premium for everyone.

We should follow Montreal for mandatory winters. I just hate to see a few cheap asses ruins it for everyone else. It was crazy enough even with Winters.

2EFNFAST
10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

We should follow Montreal for mandatory winters. I just hate to see a few cheap asses ruins it for everyone else. It was crazy enough even with Winters.

That would rock :thumbsup:

It would be even better if insurance companies got behind it. For example, if there was more than 2cm of snow in the last 24hrs before your crash and you were not driving on snow-capable tires (i.e., you were rockin' the summers still), no insurance coverage for you. It would be pretty easy to prove - have police note the type of tires in their report. :thumbsup:

Aleks
10-14-2009, 01:25 PM

When I priced out a Genesis sedan the dealer automatically included a set of winter wheels and tires in the price!

Xtrema
10-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

That would rock :thumbsup:

It would be even better if insurance companies got behind it. For example, if there was more than 2cm of snow in the last 24hrs before your crash and you were not driving on snow-capable tires (i.e., you were rockin' the summers still), no insurance coverage for you. It would be pretty easy to prove - have police note the type of tires in their report. :thumbsup:

I won't go that far (and tracking data like that would be tough and arguable).

Winters are almost as useless on ice which is what we have at intersections the last few days.

max_boost
10-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Haha, you don't drive it anyway.

Haha I do want to trade it in for a C63 though and join you and rage2 haha, way more useful.

Audi current has a promotion, you get winter tires or maintenance package.

Anyway, I can understand not having winter tires in October, I rush mine in on Sunday and glad I didn't sit on my ass. I usually don't do it til after Halloween.

I think we are in a big enough city now that any single one with traction issue causes big problem for everyone else, not counting the hit on insurance and increase premium for everyone.

Yeah totally. I think it's effective Nov15 until mid March. Well it'll be better now that the road crews have been out but it's still pretty slick in certain areas.

Originally posted by Aleks

When I priced out a Genesis sedan the dealer automatically included a set of winter wheels and tires in the price!

What? Genesis now? haha Not as fast as the Subaru's though right?
:burnout:

2EFNFAST
10-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Yeah totally. I think it's effective Nov15 until mid March. Well it'll be better now that the road crews have been out but it's still pretty slick in certain areas.

I don't suppose Audi prices go up by an average of $1500-2000 during this free promotional period? :angel:

Sentry
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
What, are these not considered appropriate for snow? :poosie:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7923/sspx0099.jpg

My excuse is I drove down from goddamn Yellowknife and I'm not gonna haul a set of tires down along with all my stuff. I got some used winters last night and they're going on Friday. :)

Freebs
10-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Makes 2 of us :D... but I like to keep it on Tarmac.. and all traction assist off :D makes it more fun to drive. But I do agree with tracktion control on and Snow mode it does just grip and go with snow tires of course

Same thing happened to me when I bought the Evo last February..

heavyD
10-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Freebs

Makes 2 of us :D... but I like to keep it on Tarmac.. and all traction assist off :D makes it more fun to drive. But I do agree with tracktion control on and Snow mode it does just grip and go with snow tires of course

Ha Ha. I haven't had a chance to test out the Snow/Tarmac/Gravel settings in the snow but I assume on Tarmac the rear wheels get a little squirrely. The best thing about the EVO is the amount of oversteer you get with S-AYC.

Q-TIP
10-14-2009, 03:41 PM

I won't go that far (and tracking data like that would be tough and arguable).

Winters are almost as useless on ice which is what we have at intersections the last few days.

I strongly disagree sir.

Winter Tires vs. All-seasons vs. Summers. (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=116)

EK 2.0
10-14-2009, 03:49 PM
OK, maybe the essence of this rant was lost on you all...

I DO NOT CARE what size your winters are...but they are winters...

Not like the Civic I saw this morning...

Aleks
10-14-2009, 05:21 PM

What? Genesis now? haha Not as fast as the Subaru's though right?
:burnout:

Oh no, this was when they first came out I was curious and test drove it. I took the quote just as an FYI.

stevieo
10-14-2009, 05:23 PM
i'm still on 18's :( hahaha
don't hate

Nissan_Fanboy
10-14-2009, 05:30 PM
I got 2 winter tires sitting in my basement,
:dunno:

But i do have All seasons on atm, but i am still loosing grip like a mofo.
Fun though =D

89s1
10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I still have the azenis on my civic.

However, it's been parked since the meet on sunday. :poosie:

tentacles
10-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I spun out across 2 lanes of traffic and into the median today, it was pure luck and the fact that the other drivers were paying attention that I didn't cause a pileup.

I had winter tires AND AWD, but they were no match against my Asian driving skills :facepalm:

Going to find an empty parking lot for some practice tonight.

spacerz
10-14-2009, 05:43 PM
i'd have to agree but its not only the ricers, some douche bag in his ballin 08 escalade on 22's slid through a red light missing my car by like inches. if a person is rich enough to buy an escalade im quite sure that they can afford winter tires as well :facepalm:

msommers
10-14-2009, 05:48 PM
You don't look ballin enough with winter tires BROSUF

speeed
10-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Didn't read the entire thread, dont know if this has been posted already.

Keep in mind that some people might have bought winters but dont have then installed yet due how busy the tire shops are at this time. This is the situation i'm in right now. I'm getting my winters installed this saturday.

Type_B
10-14-2009, 06:11 PM
see on the news yesterday there was a pile up in the north west most of them were suv's guessing they didn't have winters on them either. just the 4x4 lol.

im also running on buddy club 17's with summers at the moment thats the reason why i didnt go to work today. im hoping to get my winters tommorow distributors are busy this week.

Xtrema
10-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Type_B
see on the news yesterday there was a pile up in the north west most of them were suv's guessing they didn't have winters on them either. just the 4x4 lol.

Nobody I know put winters on trucks or SUVs. They think their 4x4 will save them except the bigger you are the harder you slide.

Freebs
10-14-2009, 06:19 PM
OK, maybe the essence of this rant was lost on you all...

I DO NOT CARE what size your winters are...but they are winters...

Not like the Civic I saw this morning...

Yea but what most people are saying is a lot of people got caught off guard and it’s not like you can just pop into a tire shop and have it done right then and there right now.. I was the tire shop down the hill from me yesterday and it was PACKED! And I asked if they could just pop my tire of and throw bead sealer on (I even had the wheel off the car) and the guy just laughed..
And so sometimes you got to do what you got to do, and use what you got. Now if he was ripping around being a jack ass in summer tires than I could understand...

Also you never know when the snow is going to hit. Because last year I didn’t put my winter wheels on until late November…

Originally posted by Type_B

im also running on buddy club 17's with summers at the moment thats the reason why i didnt go to work today. im hoping to get my winters tommorow distributors are busy this week.
My parents run the factory all seasons on their Tahoe and it just plows threw the snow and grips amazing on the slick stuff so in some cases they dont really need to. It handles way better (grip wise) than all the other cars we have with winter tires on

Zhariak
10-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by spacerz
i'd have to agree but its not only the ricers, some douche bag in his ballin 08 escalade on 22's slid through a red light missing my car by like inches. if a person is rich enough to buy an escalade im quite sure that they can afford winter tires as well :facepalm:

You'd be surprised how hard it is to stop those beasts on slush. I might sound like I'm on crack, but on ice/snow the 22s run perfect, plenty of control (if your driving the speed limit and not driving crazy). It's just the slush stuff that we had today. Or the dude panicked and let the stability control and anti-lock kick in (which is almost suicide when trying to stop)

P.S. It wasn't me.

max_boost
10-14-2009, 06:22 PM

I strongly disagree sir.

Winter Tires vs. All-seasons vs. Summers. (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=116)

Awesome!

Braking at only 10mph too!

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/bs_ice_testing_09/bs_ice_testing_09_2.jpg

Sentry
10-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Slush is the worst. It's like barely a step above bare ice.

DannyO
10-14-2009, 07:07 PM

Awesome!

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/bs_ice_testing_09/bs_ice_testing_09_2.jpg

Seems about right, pretty sure with the summers I got, I would of slid further though, I run Kumho Ecsta SPT, not the most aggressive tyre, they actually still perform fine when I was driving in -8 or so, as long as you don't drive like a douche I can't see any problems as long as its dry, but as soon as they touch snow/ice, they have the stopping power of a hockey puck, but having summers and winters on there own set of rims, doesn't matter what happens with the weather, I can just get up and change them over in 15 minutes.

Mibz
10-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by DannyO

Seems about right, pretty sure with the summers I got, I would of slid further though, I run Kumho Ecsta SPT, not the most aggressive tyre, they actually still perform fine when I was driving in -8 or so, as long as you don't drive like a douche I can't see any problems as long as its dry, but as soon as they touch snow/ice, they have the stopping power of a hockey puck, but having summers and winters on there own set of rims, doesn't matter what happens with the weather, I can just get up and change them over in 15 minutes. Haha, those are the same tires I run in the summer and, yeah, I got 50' out of my house before realizing they were fucking useless.

mystikalflip
10-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Was thinking of looking at some Nokians, and holy hell everyone's busy. Even Canadian tire! My all seasons are perfectly fine though.
:dunno:

Mibz
10-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I've run the RSi for the last three years and, once they're worn, I'll replace them with the R.

smoothessence
10-15-2009, 12:05 AM
my car has ABS so i don't know what the problem is

ReflexFX
10-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by smoothessence

:facepalm:

Sentry
10-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Hahahaha.

FraserB
10-15-2009, 01:02 AM

Nobody I know put winters on trucks or SUVs. They think their 4x4 will save them except the bigger you are the harder you slide.

Yeah, these are the same fools who think that ABS will stop you dead and that a 4x4 sticker means you can still drive like a fool in any weather condition. I have fulltime 4x4 and a LSD but somehow I havent been able to have an accident in over two years of driving it. Maybe its the use of good driving habits and realizing that an SUV doesnt make you invincible on the road. It would be such a benefit to everyone if new drivers had to have winter driving classes as well.

benyl
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM

You are aware that ABS causes longer stopping distances...

98type_r
10-15-2009, 09:41 AM
ABS was invented for people who panic and freeze/don't know what to do when their wheels lock up. Now some of them think it's the end all to their winter problems, just like the guys in their 4x4's driving like it's august.

Q-TIP
10-15-2009, 10:47 AM
I love the guys in the massive pickups with their 35 inch mud tires that think they have killer winter traction because they are super knobby. Such tires make no sense in the winter, the large tread blocks provide them with about as much biting surface as a crazy carpet.

I only have one set of tires for my truck, they have to tow, drive down the highway in sun, rain and snow, and they have to be able to tow out friends that are stuck in the mud. I have never needed "mud" tires to do this. Previously I had BFG Ko's, now I have the Wrangler DuraTrac's. Both tires are certified for severe winter service which is the exact reason I purchased them. Of all the situations my truck will encounter, icy roads are the only ones that result in a high-probability of collision or injury. I must say the DuraTrac's are performing almost as well as the dedicated winter tires my friend has on his AWD Explorer, and my pickup is only part-time 4WD doesn't even have sandbags in the back yet.

So for trucks at least All-Seasons might well be good enough, the reason being is that the super deep tread depth allows for a winter-capable tire that still lasts through the summer. With cars the depth of the tread is severely limited which is why good winter-capable tires never last long in the summer.

Xtrema
10-15-2009, 11:01 AM

Awesome!

They should compare to tires on dry pavement.

Most drive @ 30mph and I would bet if people still travel at the speed in the mindset, you'll still shoot out into the middle of the intersection, winters or not.

Winters > Summer on ice but does not necessary mean it will have the same stopping distance as summer on dry pavement.

beyond_ban
10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Winters > Summer on ice but does not necessary mean it will have the same stopping distance as summer on dry pavement.

I would hope not, summers are MEANT for dry, prime pavement. For wet, wintery roads (like ours right now...) you can't lose with a good set of winter tires.

On a side note, i have never bought/used winter tires before. Yesterday a buddy took me for a spin in his Integra with a solid set of winter tires and i was AMAZED at how well his car braked and cornered. Where i would normally understeer, he could almost corner like it was dry. Changed my perspective completely!

Aleks
10-15-2009, 11:21 AM

So for trucks at least All-Seasons might well be good enough, the reason being is that the super deep tread depth allows for a winter-capable tire that still lasts through the summer. With cars the depth of the tread is severely limited which is why good winter-capable tires never last long in the summer.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/10/14/feature-winter-tires-%e2%80%93-trucks-need-them-too.htm

Q-TIP
10-15-2009, 11:43 AM

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/10/14/feature-winter-tires-%e2%80%93-trucks-need-them-too.htm

Yes, but there are some tires (mine included) that are actually rated for winter use just like winter tires are. Mine are even capable of accepting studs. I am a strong advocate of proper tires, but in a side-by side comparison with my friend's explorer my stopping distance was only 3 feet longer which is really not that bad. Granted full winters would have evened that gap up but in deep snow true "winter" tires are not as effective due to smaller main voids and I spend ALOT of time in deep snow.

Xtrema
10-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

I would hope not, summers are MEANT for dry, prime pavement. For wet, wintery roads (like ours right now...) you can't lose with a good set of winter tires.

On a side note, i have never bought/used winter tires before. Yesterday a buddy took me for a spin in his Integra with a solid set of winter tires and i was AMAZED at how well his car braked and cornered. Where i would normally understeer, he could almost corner like it was dry. Changed my perspective completely!

BTW, I'm not arguing against winters. I'm just saying it must match a winter driving mindset.

deaftone
10-15-2009, 11:52 AM

:rofl:

beyond_ban
10-15-2009, 12:39 PM

BTW, I'm not arguing against winters. I'm just saying it must match a winter driving mindset.

Gotcha, and yes i agree.

speedog
10-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Very interesting thread with lots of good opinions. To do winter tires or not - it's not as simple as many would like to make all believe. Yeah, I have no doubt that winter tires are a better choice during the winter, but there are many mitigating factors that can affect the decision of whether or not to buy that exra set of winter tires. For many, it comes down to one simple reason - cost. Many singles and families simply do not have enough expendable cash to dole out whatever cash required for a decent set of winter tires (and possibly wheels) - for most families, dealing with putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads pretty much consumes the regular pay check and that is for many years if not a couple of decades.

Myself, I have lived in Alberta all of my life and in Calgary for the past 30 years and have always better quality all season tires on all of the vehicles I've owned (RWD, FWD and 4/AWD). I've never been in one accident over the past 30 years, haven't slid into a curb or a ditch either and have never had a problem trying to get where I needed to go during the winter. Common sense and proper driving skills have served me very well it seems over these past 30 winter driving seasons in Calgary and elsewhere. Of note, there are differences in all season tires - know this for a fact because one set of all season we had on a past RWD Chev Astro were not all that good while another set saw that same van push through the back alley with snow up to the bumper (15 inches).

Currently, my daily commuter (FWD HHR) and my wife's (4/AWD Trailblazer) have had no problems driving in winter conditions even on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. People just need to learn to drive properly - put it in neutral when coming to a stop and slow down well ahead of that stop if the conditions so warrant. Don't spin the tires like mad when leaving from a stop - unless of course you want to have a hockey rink to stop at the next time you come to that intersection. In fact, my normal commute to the shop across the city in the morning is 35 minutes for 33 kilometers - Tuesday morning this week was 40 minutes and this includes 16th Ave, Deerfoot, Anderson, Macleod Trail and 22X in my commuting travels.

IMHO, the driver's skills make the biggest difference - tires can help, but economics can and often do negate the ability for someone to afford winter tires (reality sux).

max_boost
10-15-2009, 08:58 PM
^^

Can't argue with that. I've driven with all seasons before and got through winter fine as well and then I got my first set of Blizzaks and oh my, it was even incredible!

Anyway, going back to the original discussion, I do have beef with those running performance summers or those who run bald all seasons. Stay away from me! LOL The margin for error is slim so I ask those, why risk it?

msommers
10-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by speedog
For many, it comes down to one simple reason - cost. Many singles and families simply do not have enough expendable cash to dole out whatever cash required for a decent set of winter tires (and possibly wheels) - for most families, dealing with putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads pretty much consumes the regular pay check and that is for many years if not a couple of decades.

If those with low income levels or extreme debt are struggling to put a roof over their head or food on the table, there are most likely compromises made in other areas, namely the car. If those folks experiencing a big financial pinch feel they NEED a vehicle to transport kids, get to work etc, they probably don't have a fantastic vehicle to begin, let alone a very good set of all season tires like those you described you own. With that in mind, I'm led to believe that these people are actually a danger on the streets, regardless of driving experience. Fact is, shit happens, especially in Calgary as we all know. If someone's vehicle is ill-equipped for winter, they should not be driving it. As pretentious as it may sound, if you can't afford to maintain a vehicle with the proper safety equipment, don't own a car.

I can agree somewhat that a very good set of all seasons may suffice Calgary winters, but cost aside, why bother when you can get something much better (ie: winter tire)? I'd challenge anyone to agree with the best all season tire out there is as good as the best winter tire. That said, that difference could be the difference between an accident occurring or not, all for what, a lower price.

And I stand behind this theory myself. As a student, I cannot afford to maintain a worthwhile vehicle properly so I feel it's my responsibility not to own one. Fortunately, I have the option of using one of the family vehicles that are properly equipped. And even if I didn't have that option, my mindset wouldn't change a bit. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

speedog
10-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Again, for many the costs of owning two sets of tires just isn't in their budget. That is a reality for many families and probably many singles. That said, then buck up for the best all seasons available that can be afforded - certainly better than any summer tire. Won't argue that an all season tire can match a winter tire's performance, but that's not the point I'm debating here.

Add to that some very sensible winter driving skills like I posted earlier - problem that I see on my daily commute during the winter months is the complete and utter lack of winter driving skills demonstrated by so many drivers. In fact, I have parked my car while out and about and have actually got in and unstuck other stranger's cars because they could not figure out how to do it themselves. Should've probably followed that up with a swift kick in their ass, but it probably wouldn't of helped anyhow.

streethondas
10-15-2009, 09:23 PM

GO ABS!!! :clap:

i ran all season in the front and 17" summer at the back?

btw car was too low soo i had to roll on 17" and i had no abs :bigpimp:

msommers
10-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by speedog
then buck up for the best all seasons available that can be afforded - certainly better than any summer tire.

I would certainly hope any all season would be better than any summer tire out there. Still, that all season, albeit the best they can affford, still may be total shit in the winter-time and a consequent danger to have that shitbox on the road with other people out there, that are able to afford being responsible vehicle owners. But I digress.

wes_v
10-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Who in the right state of mind would ever rock 18's on a civic...:facepalm:

Tomaz
10-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Who would ride on aftermarket summer tires and rims, but cant afford the $500 (est) for winter tires... really now?