PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Winter Hell.... Rip CF Lip

Jsen-DC2
10-14-2009, 10:50 AM
first off yeah i should have taken off the lip, but its going to be like +13 tomorrow, so i was hoping it will all melt,

but

as the story goes i commute everyday from chestermere to sait, and its been terrible last 2 days, well today was worse, on my way down 16th over the deerfoot overpass i ran over someguys mudflap ice build up that i totaly destroyed when i ran over it. i thought nothing of it and i thought it would be soft anyways. well right infront of sait i looked in some glass window and my Spoon CF Lip was gone!!!:barf: . so i turned around headed back to deerfoot turned around again and there you see the corner of my lip in the snow on the side, so i thought there was hope, i parked at the trailer park and ran down the hill, where i soon gatherd all the pieces where i found of my lip :facepalm:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/Jsen23/100_0306.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/Jsen23/100_0308.jpg

i think i got all the pieces. i didnt go to school because i was too depressed. so im just sharing my agony!
:banghead:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/Jsen23/100_0290.jpg
R.I.P CF Lip

now i need a new one :facepalm:

JfuckinC
10-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Snowplowinnnnnnnn, that sucks bro. But like you said, shoulda takin it off!

Afrodeziak
10-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Get yourself some epoxy resin and some fiberglass. Shit will be like new after you sand it out and re-clear it.

Kardon
10-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice that you picked it up instead of peacing it there on the road!

Freebs
10-14-2009, 11:27 AM
That sucks... I can’t really tell but maybe you could salvage it with some fiberglass and keep it as a "winter" lip and just buy a new one that you keep on for summer time.. If you do build it up for a winter lip you could make it a lot stronger too. I had to do this on my sisters car and it can take a beating now during the winter..

On a side note lol I think I saw you (well your car) at SAIT the other day between the train station/hockey arena... I was in the Black Evo MR...

Kloubek
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Not worth salvaging.

OP: I have no sympathy. Come on... a low lip in the winter? Who CARES if it is supposed to be warm coming up. It isn't like you require the lip on there, and looking "cool" ain't worth it, imo.

Freebs
10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Not worth salvaging.

OP: I have no sympathy. Come on... a low lip in the winter? Who CARES if it is supposed to be warm coming up. It isn't like you require the lip on there, and looking "cool" ain't worth it, imo.

ouch... tuff love here on Beyond... I dont care if its +30 and sunny or 5 feet of snow.. I still feel bad for anyone who has something like this happen to them

2EFNFAST
10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Freebs

ouch... tuff love here on Beyond... I dont care if its +30 and sunny or 5 feet of snow.. I still feel bad for anyone who has something like this happen to them

I feel bad for the OP, but still, you have to look at the pic he posted and shake your head - there's almost no front ground clearance because of the splitter .... you can't seriously think that's a good idea to drive with that attached when snow/ice is sometimes a foot tall here :nut:

urban.one
10-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Lucky nobody ran over the lip and got into an accident or a flat tire.

Good on you going back to pick it up.

adidas
10-14-2009, 11:43 AM
That sucks man! I hate driving down 16thave or anywhere close to there. The roads all sucks and they are abused daily by truckers going through the city!

Freebs
10-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

I feel bad for the OP, but still, you have to look at the pic he posted and shake your head - there's almost no front ground clearance because of the splitter .... you can't seriously think that's a good idea to drive with that attached when snow/ice is sometimes a foot tall here :nut:
Oh i know.. I dont think its a good idea.. and I am sure he wishes he took it off.. but still...

Originally posted by urban.one
Lucky nobody ran over the lip and got into an accident or a flat tire.

Good on you going back to pick it up.
a flat tire? from a CF lip?.... I dont think it would be a risk of causing an accident when just a chunk of ice did this to it I would say the mud flap ice chunks are more of a hazard than this would be

Jsen-DC2
10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
yeah i park beside the c-train station and the arena when i am waiting for my gf there, but yeah i thought i would be okay i put my other rims on the other day and i "could" fit a whole shoe under it hahaha, but it was over the snow today by a couple inches, so i thought it would be good for today atleast

sputnik
10-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Who are you blaming for this?

This thread should be renamed... "Flame me. I am an idiot."

JfuckinC
10-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Who are you blaming for this?

This thread should be renamed... "Flame me. I am an idiot."

He Isn't blaming anyone?! He''s sharing his discontent about the weather with us and showing us what happened. At least he posted pictures and shit unlike most lame 'oh shit this happened!!' threads. Fuck you're always so negative and grumpy lol, how terrible is your life?

Freebs
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

He Isn't blaming anyone?! He''s sharing his discontent about the weather with us and showing us what happened. At least he posted pictures and shit unlike most lame 'oh shit this happened!!' threads. Fuck you're always so negative and grumpy lol, how terrible is your life?

ahaha well said...

eglove
10-14-2009, 12:48 PM
i took my cf lip off weeks ago so i would totally avoid a situation like this.

max_boost
10-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah shit winter.

My body kit is basically all wrecked from plowing the streets during winter. Oh well. My car went from show condition 2 years ago to just a winter beater now. Just a matter of time before it falls off haha

D'z Nutz
10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

That's pretty much how I feel. The only people I have less sympathy for are those still rocking summer tires mid October and get snowed in.

SR240SX
10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Shitty deal, But if you dont want to wreck you're nice car, Buy a shitty winter beater...

5G_celica
10-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Fuck you're always so negative and grumpy lol, how terrible is your life?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jsen-DC2
10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
i have a winter beater, i was gonna pull it out next week, i have a opportunity to do a tuneup at sait next monday, using all the comps and stuff, so i am trying to tough it out until thats done.... oh weelllll

scat19
10-14-2009, 01:12 PM

:werd:

At least there was something to look at.

max_boost
10-14-2009, 01:12 PM

He's like your dad or older brother or always up your ass about things with his arms crossed haha

thetransporter
10-14-2009, 02:38 PM
isn't CF suppose to be ULTRA strong??

arian_ma
10-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
isn't CF suppose to be ULTRA strong??
And ultra brittle, especially when it's this cold.

Come on guys, I'm sure this guy didn't come in here for sympathy, just to share a story and rant. Whatever man, it's the price you have to pay for having your car so low and a nice looking lip. It's a funny story and a lesson learned, buy another one, it'll be ok.

Edit: Yeah...what JfuckinC said.

TurboD
10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
This is the reason I only run urethane lips, even if its ripped off and driven over in traffic it will likely still be ok.

That sucks, it looked nice with the lip.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
What course are you taking at SAIT?:hijack:

Orbie
10-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much front clearance did you have with the CF lip on?

FiveFreshFish
10-14-2009, 04:18 PM
My guess would be 4".

Jsen-DC2
10-14-2009, 05:42 PM
im taking automotive service technology, im in my last year,

clearance was pretty low, 4" maybe even 3"

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Oh, im in AST, but my first year.

Kloubek
10-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

He's like your dad or older brother or always up your ass about things with his arms crossed haha

You've experienced your dad or older brother up your ass? Craziness. ;)

Seriously OP, I wasn't trying to be a dick. And be happy Sputnik didn't reef on you like he did to the person in my sig. lol.

...it's just that I really don't know what you expected... driving a car with a 3" clearance lip. True enough though - good on you for picking up the pieces. Most people would be too pissed to care.

NickGT
10-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

:rofl: :rofl: To funny.

That sucks about your lip dude. Shit happens. We've all chanced something in our lives at some point (cars or otherwise). Sometimes it doesn't work out the way we think it will. Hope it's not to expensive to repair/replace!

funkedelic2
10-15-2009, 12:03 AM
ahhh dude that sucks i feel for you. Time for a winter beater!

heavyD
10-15-2009, 07:38 AM
I agree that the weather sucks but that's the risk you run this time of the year. End of September you should have your car winterized or winter beater on the road. Just too many people were unprepared for the weather this week.

Jsen-DC2
10-15-2009, 11:02 AM
It sucks I had the lip for this summer only, well I bought it off my buddy for 150, strd quoted me like 3 bills

shadowz
10-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Jsen-DC2
It sucks I had the lip for this summer only, well I bought it off my buddy for 150, strd quoted me like 3 bills

Well 300 is decent, good thing it wasnt a real spoon lip

Jsen-DC2
10-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah well legit is way too much when your in school haha

Pollywog
10-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Like everyone else said - it sucks, but it was bound to happen. :dunno: Thats why I got rid of my plow and bought something of normal ride height for our town. Calgary blows ass, whether it be the horrid quality of the majority of our roadways or the shitty up-and-down climate. Besides, consider yourself lucky - at least you didnt smash your front end into an exposed and protruding manhole.:banghead:

05*CivicRS
10-16-2009, 01:13 AM
yupp, take off your ABS plastic, fiberglass or carbon fiber lip for winter. Learned my lesson by snapping 3 front lips over winter. polyurethane lips ftw