PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Hockey Rinks

AaronK
10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Hey guys, I live in the NW and I am wondering where some outdoor hockey rinks near SAIT are that are free. I know of some up in Varsity, but I would prefer a closer one. Also, do you guys know if there are any rinks in the NW that are already frozen?

Thanks!

:goflames:

88CRX
10-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Its been cold for a couple days.... not to mention it's going to be +10 or higher this weekend. Nobody bothers flooding the outdoor rinks till late december.

AaronK
10-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh ok fair enough, but back to my first question. Do you know of any near SAIT in the NW?

GREENBOY
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
There's one up behind Tipperary's that's pretty nice. Forget the exact location.

TorqueDog
10-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Living here, I'm shocked we even have outdoor rinks at all.

JfuckinC
10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

Why's that? Lots are WELL used. I play a ton of outdoor over the winter. It's too much fun too pass up!!

Team_Mclaren
10-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

is it not cold enough in calgary or ??

As mentioned, we have some really nice outdoor rings in the city. West hill has a heated indoor change room too.

AaronK
10-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Oh ok fair enough, I will check out the one behind tipperary's once its been flooded. Do you guys know of any free public, or cheap stop in and skate rinks in the NW? I just bought new skates and cant wait to bust em out. haha

98type_r
10-14-2009, 04:46 PM
there are some in Rosedale and Crescent heights at their respective community centres, we used to play there back in the day.

FiveFreshFish
10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
http://www.calgaryarea.com/calgary_rinks_arenas.htm

bourge73
10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Theres one that me and my buddies play at thats unreal off bowtrail, and 68 th I beleive if you want I ll get you the exact address, not exactly NW but the ICE (well once cold enough maybe in Dec) is the best I ve been to and it has a Zamboni!

illtim3d
10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by AaronK
Oh ok fair enough, I will check out the one behind tipperary's once its been flooded. Do you guys know of any free public, or cheap stop in and skate rinks in the NW? I just bought new skates and cant wait to bust em out. haha

Hidden Valley, Sandstone and Beddington all have outdoor community rinks which are fairly decent .

Also, Hamptons has one of the better outdoor rinks imo. It is a nice area, and regularly maintained. A+

Edit:
Ive skated at this one RIGHT across from sait res. Not the best outdoor rink / ice, but very close if thats what you were looking for (i assume you live on res?)
It's a school or community center off of 13 ave, directly across the street from sait

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=51.063758,-114.084628&daddr=9+St+NW&hl=en&geocode=%3BFVMrCwMdYjwz-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&dirflg=w&sll=51.064864,-114.080465&sspn=0.00952,0.027831&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
God damn the ice here in the Hamptons is always in use. Also there seems to be a lot of rink Nazis hanging around the past couple years.

AaronK
10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by illtim3d

Hidden Valley, Sandstone and Beddington all have outdoor community rinks which are fairly decent .

Also, Hamptons has one of the better outdoor rinks imo. It is a nice area, and regularly maintained. A+

Edit:
Ive skated at this one RIGHT across from sait res. Not the best outdoor rink / ice, but very close if thats what you were looking for (i assume you live on res?)
It's a school or community center off of 13 ave, directly across the street from sait

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=51.063758,-114.084628&daddr=9+St+NW&hl=en&geocode=%3BFVMrCwMdYjwz-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&dirflg=w&sll=51.064864,-114.080465&sspn=0.00952,0.027831&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

That ones at the Rosedale Community Center right? Do you remember how much it was, and when they have public skate times at?

npham
10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Why don't you call them instead of waiting for someone to look it up or reply with the info that could be outdated?

AaronK
10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I would but I cant find a phone number for them anywhere...

turbotrip
10-14-2009, 06:51 PM
theres a pretty nice rink in the hamptons, and edgemont has one too right at the corner of john laurie but isnt in the greatest condition usually

stev0
10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
There's some good ones in the DEEP NW... up in the Country Hills area. But I'm guessing that's a lot farther than you want to travel?

adamc
10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
I love crescent heights, nothing like playing hockey with a view of the city

almerick
10-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
God damn the ice here in the Hamptons is always in use. Also there seems to be a lot of rink Nazis hanging around the past couple years.

Even after the lights go out, people still play there :nut:

GREENBOY
10-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by adamc
I love crescent heights, nothing like playing hockey with a view of the city

Strathcona is awesome for the view too. Coach Hill did have a rink but it's fallen into disrepair and they plan to build a badminton centre on it! Makes me mad as it would have been my local rink.

speedog
10-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Its been cold for a couple days.... not to mention it's going to be +10 or higher this weekend. Nobody bothers flooding the outdoor rinks till late december. As the ice guy at the Highwood rink (about 26 blocks NNWof SAIT), I can says that we had ice going in early December last year - was a tough year though because of some of the temperature swings. Remember seeing the whole rink's ice sheet floating on top of water at one point and then things froze back up.

Outdoor rinks near SAIT - Rosedale's, believe it's free but it's a smaller rink on grass with not so great boards. Rosemont - decent ice on grass but no walls. Highland Park - smaller rink, poor walls and poor ice on grass. Banff Trail - unknown. Mount Pleasant outdoor rink - iffy ice on grass, no boards. Cambrian Heights - ice has not been as good in past years (on grass) and no walls. Highwood - relatively good walls, pavement over cement (missing vehicle gate due to vandals) and chain link fence going up 6 feet over the boards. All are lit I believe - at Highwood we keep the lights on until 10:00 PM..

Fact of the matter is that there are not too many actual rinks in the inner city that are walled and that also have a cement and/or pavement base. Ours at Highwood is one of the few (Inglewood is another) and has the additional chain link which means it can get quite busy with pick-up shinny on weekends because ppl dn't have to chase down their errant pucks. I will admit though that the Highwood rink is dated and we've been told that it's lifecycle is about complete. That all said, we are going to attempt to get an outdoor refrigerated rink buit with a Zamboni within the next few years - that is of course if we can get enough volunteers within the community to step forward to assist in such a venture. Would dearly love to have an outdoor refrigerated rink - would extend the season by at least a month and would make maintaining the ice much, much easier.

asp integra
10-16-2009, 07:42 PM
there are some great outdoor rinks up west, the westhills rink has great ice and a zamboni, same with the wildwood rink east of bowtrail on 45, there is another rink south of 17th ave on 45th as well that is good with a zamboni

speedog
10-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Not too close to SAIT though.

darkrider911
10-17-2009, 10:22 AM
It's too bad you live up by SAIT, there have been so many well laid out rinks in the SW . There are a few just off of 37th street and around 40th Ave. But the best one I have found have been in Millrise, Canyon Meadows(though this past year they got a little lazy in the removal of snow), and Shawnessy. Another good one is more SE but it's connected to the Queensland community center, they have had great ice and usually very well maintained.

speedog
12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Resurrecting a slightly idle thread to say that we'll have skatable outdoor ice this weekend at Highwood - have an inch down now and could possibly have anonther inch on top of that by tomorrow evening.

miik0
12-02-2009, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Resurrecting a slightly idle thread to say that we'll have skatable outdoor ice this weekend at Highwood - have an inch down now and could possibly have anonther inch on top of that by tomorrow evening.

Would you happen to know if any other rinks will have ice?

Prelude_dude
12-02-2009, 02:06 AM
20th Avenue NW, inbetwen 22nd and 21st street if i remember correctly, there is a banff trail community center there, and right beside it there is a out door rink, i used to live right across the street in the apartments. There is a JR high school there too, but i can't recall the name. That is pretty close to sait

speedog
12-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by miik0

Would you happen to know if any other rinks will have ice? Nope, only know of the one that I'm looking after. Would suspect others should be going this weekend if the associated communities have enough volunteers out doing the cleaning and flooding.

mowglee
12-02-2009, 11:13 AM
not sure if these were mentioned or not but theres one in Crescent Heights really close to 10st by SAIT. Theres also one in the West Hillhurst (sp?) area, not sure of the exact location though. SAIT has public skating mon-thurs from 10-11:30am for 3$. THe Oval has public skating almost every evening but you have to call them for exact times.

Kritafo
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I will check out our Valley Ridge rink tonight...we just had the newsletter saying it wasn't ready but that was before it got cold again.

JfuckinC
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
whitehorn rink FTW

accept when there are brown events (not to be racist) at the comm center and the stupid fucks come on the ice and run around with shoes and get in the way, then try and fight you lol :dunno:
Other than that, good boards, good ice on pavement, lights, chainlink fence above boards.

goat_killer
12-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Anything frozen yet??

Kritafo
12-03-2009, 08:51 AM
looks like they are just starting our rink in Valley Ridge.

I drive by Silver Springs rink tonight, I will check that one out, it's probably done, they are always right on the program and they have lights

SJW
12-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
whitehorn rink FTW

accept when there are brown events (not to be racist) at the comm center and the stupid fucks come on the ice and run around with shoes and get in the way, then try and fight you lol :dunno:
Other than that, good boards, good ice on pavement, lights, chainlink fence above boards.

Invite me. I have a wrist shot like Joe Sakic with good aim.

C_Dave45
12-03-2009, 09:17 AM
List of all outdoor rinks. Could phone the community for each one to see if its open or not.

swak
12-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Rosemont community center, pretty decent ice, but no boards or anything haha.. I grew up playing on that rink so i dont see it as much of a problem ahaha..

5-10 min walk from sait.

Best in the city is Ramsay if youre driving though.
Covered, lit, boards, well kept, tarp on the windy side.

speedog
12-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Was down at Rosemont in Confederation Park tonight, met their ice crew while they were flooding, they might be skatable come Sunday evening.

Highwood is good to go (north of Queens Park Cemetery), skaters on the ice tonight, most of the rink (lit) has 2 inches down already, wood boards with 6 feet of chain link above.

Cambrian Heights - no ice yet. Thorncliff - no outdoor ice yet. Not sure about North Haven, Highland Park, Capitol Hill or Mount Pleasant outdoor.

Alterac
12-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Im about 1 block from the whitehorn rink, gotta buy me some skates this year and hit it up.

goat_killer
12-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Any updates if the outdoor rinks are good to go?

I checked out the Marlborough park rink (one by Eggbert Middle school) tonight after work, and parts are skateable. But it's a big area so not all of it is ready.

megavolt
12-10-2009, 11:59 AM
My friend said they flooded Whitehorn yesterday morning...

Benny
12-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Silver Springs has been frozen for a few days and it's probably the best rink this far NW (besides tuscany with the zamboni and what not). Ranchlands isn't kept for shit, Citadel and Hamptons are always full.

darkrider911
12-11-2009, 02:08 PM
It's too bad all you guys are up in the NW, I've been playing at the Canyon Meadows for over a week now! It wasn't good by last weekend but since wednesday it's been real nice they flooded it tuesday night and I only heard rumors about last night.

Machi
12-11-2009, 02:23 PM
The rink in hidden valley is good to go..

goat_killer
12-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Played at Silver Springs last night. Awesome rink.

JordanEG6
12-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Machi
The rink in hidden valley is good to go..

Played there tonight. Fucking giant ass holes in the ice. Other than that it's pretty decent and not very busy, but I liked Silver Springs more.

speedog
12-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Been skating on Highwood for over 10 days now, 3 inches of ice down, no giant holes either. Starting to flood grass outside of rink for the little kids. Drove up to Beddington outdoor tonight - looks like there's no ice there. Rosemont in Confederation Park should be skatable this weekend - no boards there though.

slick2404
12-12-2009, 03:25 AM
sandstone rink is pretty solid

sl888
12-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Where is Silver Springs?
Drove by Westhills. Saw a few kids play on the basketball one but the rink was locked up

Benny
12-12-2009, 11:25 AM
http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=silver+springs&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=silver+springs&hnear=Calgary,+AB&hl=en&view=map&cid=1681898041837897382&ved=0CBEQpQY&ei=6tEjS93HOY3stAO9hMm9CQ&ll=51.104303,-114.188032&spn=0.014928,0.033088&z=15

mr2mike
12-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Damnit. My Silver Springs gem is over. j/k

Love that rink.

Also the Cochrane one is good but it's usually packed on weekends. Later at night it's not too busy.

Benny
12-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Damnit. My Silver Springs gem is over. j/k

Love that rink.

Also the Cochrane one is good but it's usually packed on weekends. Later at night it's not too busy.

Haha trust me I was reluctant to post it to. Don't want all manner of people crowding it. Figured it's my Christmas present to beyond tho.

vengie
12-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by darkrider911
It's too bad all you guys are up in the NW, I've been playing at the Canyon Meadows for over a week now! It wasn't good by last weekend but since wednesday it's been real nice they flooded it tuesday night and I only heard rumors about last night.

I also skate Canyon meadows, haven't been yet this year, I have been at Haysboro, ice was incredible when I was there the other day.

rvd
01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Any place with half decent ice ? lol

Benny
01-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by rvd
Any place with half decent ice ? lol

I went to Bowness Park last night with some friends. Aside from a couple slushy spots it's actually pretty good. I'd put money on all the outdoor rinks being fucked tho. Just not enough ice on them prior to it getting warm.

Benny
11-21-2010, 04:53 PM
To bump an old thread:

Anyone know if any outdoor rinks are flooded yet? :)

asp integra
11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
i was wondering the same thing as well. i was in canmore yesterday and they have the pond thingy just off main street shoveled and some people were out skating on it so it got me excited for some odr's in calgary

Benny
11-22-2010, 11:47 PM
I'll be back in town on Wednesday so I'll check out some in the NW and let everyone know. I don't really wanna be playing in this cold anyhow :nut:

speedog
11-23-2010, 01:08 AM
We've got a couple of inches down in Highwood already, all lights replaced this fall around the rink too. Highland Park had someone out flooding their grass this weekend but it appears that they will not be getting the new boards they purchased up this year (snow beat them this year). Rosemont has been flooding both their upper and lower rinks (no boards). No activity yet at Mount Pleasant's outdoor rink (no boards). North Haven has been flooding already, but don't know the status of their ice yet.

KO22
11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
who needs rinks.. my whole road is pure ice, might as well whip the skates out and play hockey up and down my street lol

Rstar
11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
I lived in Silver Springs for a while and I was always super impressed with the great condition it was kept in. Every couple hours the shovels would come out and we'd take turns cleaning it. If a chinook blew in and it got too warm out they would put up signs asking people to stay off the ice and they actually would.

civicrider
11-23-2010, 03:59 PM
anyone know if springbanks rink is flooded? Best place to play, out door rink that's covered and protected from the wind.

SeeAreEx
11-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Double post.

SeeAreEx
11-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Silver springs has ice, skated on it last night. Rnachlands has ice but its a work in progress and we're working on the edgemont rink hopfully this week to get it ready. Its had a half flood so far but the snowblower cut out before the rink could be cleared of snow.

asp integra
11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
looks like they are starting to get ice ready at westhills, always my fav rink, good ice/boards, so nice to have a zamboni!

KO22
11-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Does anybody know anything about the SE rinks .. cranton/mckenzie lake and town areas/sundance and whatever around the area?

speedog
11-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Cranston is an artificial outdoor rink - they should easily have ice already.

speedog
11-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Over fifteen people playing shinny on Highwood's rink tonight. No ice at Cambrian Heights yet.

KO22
11-25-2010, 11:23 AM
^ surprisingly not... last night i stopped by and the it wasnt fully cleaned up yet, hopefully g2g today, will inform.

speedog
11-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Really? At Highwood? That's odd because I was up there around 8:00 PM and there were about 15 people playing shinny. Ice was clear also - some of the people used the supplied snow shovels and a community volunteer brought out the snow blower and the gas powered rotary brush to further clean things up. One of the rookie helpers made a bit of a mess of the ice afterwards, but I flooded last night to clean it up a bit and will be flooding again tonight after 9.

Maybe I have to ask what one means by fully cleaned up? If you mean you want perfect ice similar to what you'll find in an indoor arena, then that'll only happen if there's a large group of volunteers and possibly a zamboni and/or gas powered ice edger. We've got neither, but when the rink is replaced within the next 2-3 years, an ice edger is on my want list to keep the edges much cleaner. For now, we do the best we can with 3 volunteers which means that there will sometimes be snow at the edges because the snowblower just doesn't get everything and 1 guy flooding isn't going to take the time to make things perfect especially on the edges because we like to get home before midnight. Never the less, we had about 3-4 inches down on most of Highwood's rink with the exception of the SW corner which is thinner due to it being a high spot.

And on a side note, I'd gladly take on KO22 as a volunteer if they would like to help maintain the rink.

speedog
11-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Oops, I have to ask if KO22 was commenting about Highwood as that was the last post above his? If they weren't, then I have to apologize for my previous post and have to add that I would be very surprised if Cranston didn't have their outdoor ice up and running considering it's an outdoor refrigerated rink accompanied by a community owned zamboni - that rink would be so much easier to maintain compared to a regular outdoor rink.

KO22
11-25-2010, 03:18 PM
I was talking about Cranston rink, stopped by yesterday ~3:30pm and ice was not fully ready, snow was almost brushed of/ nets were not on the ice yet, but I'll be home around ~4pm today so I will stop by there and check it out.. Also I am very surprised to that it hadn't be open yet.. big piss of seeing how couple rinks are already up and running.. but I can wait, Cranston always has beauty ice and maintained very well.

As to Speedog, haha I would gladely take on maintaince but unfortunately Hawkwood is way to far for me to travel seeing how I live in Mckenzie Lake lol!

slick2404
11-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Saw people playing at sandstone last night, hopefully ice is good.

Alterac
11-28-2010, 10:37 PM
They are flooding whitehorn rink over the past few nights.

trieu
12-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Anyone know how the ice is in the NE rinks? Ex whitehorn etc. Too lazy to drive to the hamptons

95EG6P
12-21-2010, 01:39 PM
whitehorn is ok but it is packed most of the time and temple is brutal bumps all over

dezmarez
12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
Saw people playing at sandstone last night, hopefully ice is good.

Been there about 4 times this year,

ice isnt to bad... lots of people though!!

asp integra
12-24-2010, 03:53 PM
been to westhills, one near turtle hill (45st just off 17th) and one off richmond and 45th the last few nights, all have good ice and had some good games going. i find the richmond and turtle hill ones provide the best games with better players who are generally a little older and best ice is a tie between turtle hill and westhills cause of the zambonis

Moonracer
12-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Bump! Anyone have ice around their place yet?

I checked ramsay last night and it's started but not ready yet.

Alterac
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I dont think Whitehorn has ice yet, but they redid the entire rink.

New Mesh, New benches (enclosed) and new boards.

I believe they also repaved the surface too.

I will take a look when i go home tonight.

swak
12-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Ramsay has got to be the best outdoor ice in town...
Not ready yet unfortunately though.

Moonracer
12-06-2011, 02:54 PM
And this warm weather isn't helping any. But it's nice out at least. :D

r3ccOs
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
And this warm weather isn't helping any. But it's nice out at least. :D

wah... guess Auburn Bay won't be ready for a while :(

Gotta check out new brighton or copperfield
but indoor ice at the occational lunch shinny is nice

KO22
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
cranstons open

r3ccOs
12-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by KO22
cranstons open

you have to go with a member to walk on eh?

MrSector9
12-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

you have to go with a member to walk on eh?
Or you have to pay i think $5 to use the ice if not with a member.

funkytuqe
12-10-2011, 11:06 AM
are there any open public outdoor rinks around Coventry Hills? The only one i know of is Prariewinds. Panorama has one but you have to be a member to get in.

jdmXSI
12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Varsity Community rink looks like it has a few inches of ice but no nets, hopefully it will soon though!

r3ccOs
12-11-2011, 06:55 AM
fricken pro life put a 3/8's grind on my 9k's

grrr... might as well wear it out on some outdoor rinks:

syritis
12-11-2011, 07:35 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/345219/2011-12-out-door-rink-thread/

r3ccOs
12-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by syritis
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/345219/2011-12-out-door-rink-thread/