PDA

View Full Version : Previous tenant's mail and mailman issues.

Legless_Marine2
10-14-2009, 02:36 PM
We get tons of mail from previous tenants. We've tried writing "return to sender, not at this address" and leaving the envelopes hanving out the mailbox, but the postman just puts them back in the mailbox with the other mail.

We've put distinct signs on the mailbox stating who does and does not live at our address, but the postman ignores them.

We've tried talking to him, but he wears an ipod, and pretends not to see/hear us, dashing out of our gate - A gate which half the time he leaves ajar, and I have to go out and close before letting the dog out.

It's been suggested that I save up the mail and place it in the neighborhood outgoing-mailbox, but this is just a workaround which causes me work and doesn't solve the original problem.

Is it not part of the mailman's duty to accept this returned mail, and return it for reprocessing? Is he not obligated to deliver the correct mail if it's clearly indicated who lives there? Is there no mailman code of ethics requiring him to close our gate?

It seems to me that our mailman is obtuse and lazy... but I must confess that I have no clear idea of what his obligations actually are.

Can anyone help me understand before I take the step of contacting Canada Post?

Thanks in advance,
Legless.

badatusrnames
10-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Try contacting Canada Post directly instead. The mail carrier just delivers the mail to the address that's on it and likely doesn't really care.

I'd return the mail to the post office as well, I'm guessing they'll mark it as return to sender and whoever is sending it will hopefully update their lists accordingly.

thetransporter
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
put return to sender on all of them and put them at a drop off mailbox make sure you scribble out the destination address.

FiveFreshFish
10-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Write ADDRESSEE DECEASED on each one before you send it back.

TomcoPDR
10-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Try contacting Canada Post directly instead. The mail carrier just delivers the mail to the address that's on it and likely doesn't really care.

I'd return the mail to the post office as well, I'm guessing they'll mark it as return to sender and whoever is sending it will hopefully update their lists accordingly.

:werd:

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Write ADDRESSEE DECEASED on each one before you send it back.

What if the guy's the son of a neighbour of a cat's best friend who had a long lost Nigerian relative trying to get help to import some $$$ into America?

kaput
10-14-2009, 04:10 PM

ExtraSlow
10-14-2009, 04:44 PM
I had the same issue at my last house. I got thier credit card bills for three full years. Nothing I could do with the Post Office or mailman seemed to help. They claimed that the person sending the mail was responsible for verifying the address.
Eventually I opened the mail and Called the credit card comapny directly. They also were unable to help. they claimed that the account holder was responsible for updating the address.

The funny thing was, this guy was paying his bills every couple months, but he wasn't changing his address. I can't figure out why he'd do that.

Either way, I just started throwing them out as soon as I got them.

Now at my new address, I'm getting packages delivered with someone else's name on them. the wierd thing is that I'm the first person to live in that house.
I've got a huge parcel sitting at my house, and I can't figure out what to do with it.

Arnold
10-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I've had the same problem too at my last house. Kept getting mail for a bajillion different previous tenants eventually i also had to start throwing away their mail , wierd thing is like 7 or 8 months after i moved into my old place one of the old tenants started coming around looking for their mail :facepalm: ... i dont get why they wouldnt just change their address..

Kennyredline
10-15-2009, 12:23 PM
x2(3?) for contacting Canada Post. Tell them the carrier has a shitty attitude and should be fired, and that your tax dollars are not being properly spent. That'll make a big difference.

BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:burnout:

masoncgy
10-15-2009, 12:24 PM
The only to stop the mail from coming is to keep sending it back... blank out your address, mark "Return to Sender" and drop them into a mailbox...

If you just throw the mail away, it keeps coming. You have to return it back to notify the sender that the mail is misdirected.

I guess for those that still have in-person mail delivery to your door it's a pain, but in my area we have community mailboxes everywhere, so we just mark it and drop it when we check our mail.. no biggie.

ExtraSlow
10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
The only to stop the mail from coming is to keep sending it back... blank out your address, mark "Return to Sender" and drop them into a mailbox...

If you just throw the mail away, it keeps coming. You have to return it back to notify the sender that the mail is misdirected.

I guess for those that still have in-person mail delivery to your door it's a pain, but in my area we have community mailboxes everywhere, so we just mark it and drop it when we check our mail.. no biggie.
Did this for 12 months straight, no change.

GQBalla
10-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I had the same issue at my last house. I got thier credit card bills for three full years. Nothing I could do with the Post Office or mailman seemed to help. They claimed that the person sending the mail was responsible for verifying the address.
Eventually I opened the mail and Called the credit card comapny directly. They also were unable to help. they claimed that the account holder was responsible for updating the address.

The funny thing was, this guy was paying his bills every couple months, but he wasn't changing his address. I can't figure out why he'd do that.

Either way, I just started throwing them out as soon as I got them.

Now at my new address, I'm getting packages delivered with someone else's name on them. the wierd thing is that I'm the first person to live in that house.
I've got a huge parcel sitting at my house, and I can't figure out what to do with it.

just like eagle eye.

its weapons and bomb making supplies

Mar
10-15-2009, 02:33 PM
My mail gets delivered to 5 or 6 of my old addresses around Calgary, I don't even know what goes where. I wouldn't even know what to update if I started.
Are you downtown by chance? By funny if it was mine.

Tik-Tok
10-15-2009, 02:38 PM

Don't touch it.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/SWAT_team_kills_2_dogs_in_0731.html

masoncgy
10-15-2009, 04:53 PM

Did this for 12 months straight, no change.

That's crazy. I did it for about 3 months or so after moving into my house and the mail ceased.

My tenants have to do the same thing all the time... works for them too.

Alterac
10-15-2009, 07:43 PM

Have you stalked them online? Post up a name, get beyond on the job.

Technically, all you need to find is someone with the same name, that gives you consent to open the package.

FiveFreshFish
10-15-2009, 07:53 PM

Maybe it's a neighbour's stuff that you're getting. Their address may have been entered wrong by the the sender and never corrected. For example, if your house number is 221 it could have been input as 211 and still be in the same postal code.

If there's no proof of delivery, then... :devil:

hampstor
10-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I've got one of those superboxes by my house - so it might not work for you. I recently took a black sharpie marker, circled the name and wrote:

"HE NO LONGER LIVES HERE STOP SENDING THESE TO THIS ADDRESS"

I dropped it into the outgoing mail of the superbox. 2 months now... I haven't received a single APEGGA newsletter.

FiveFreshFish
10-15-2009, 09:28 PM
^^^ APEGGA's pretty good about keeping member info updated.

silver03gt
10-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Don't touch it.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/SWAT_team_kills_2_dogs_in_0731.html

Three words... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

craigcd
10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
I have also put the mail back in the slot stating "Return to sender no longer at address". After a year of trying i now just toss it in my recycling- credit card info, bank info, all sorts of personal crap, im sick of it. Hopefully the person doesnt get frauded.

TDA
10-16-2009, 12:16 AM
You know you can log a complaint online at Canada Post? I've done it before and actually have gotten a supervisor come out to my location to check the mailboxes (its a supermailbox).

Canada Post does use contractors sometimes as it was explained to me - which explains the quality - they honestly dont give a shit.

Our mailman keeps misdelivering mail (wrong addresses!)to our supermailbox in a condo, and sometimes the addresses on them are not EVEN CLOSE AT ALL. Ie, wrong building altogether.

Penis McNickels
10-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Alterac

Have you stalked them online? Post up a name, get beyond on the job.

We keep getting mail for one lady at our place and first I didn't care, but when I started getting her stuff from the CRA I tracked her down and decided to call her up and let her know. She didn't care or want to do anything about it, so after that I just chuck everything of hers out.