PDA

View Full Version : Car got broken into(VW Jetta)

bol
11-15-2003, 03:25 PM
So my mothers car got broken into while I had it out at Chinook in the parkade by the theater. They didn't take much, just made a huge mess.

It's a '01 VW Jetta. I can't believe how easy these things are to get into now but I'm not going to get into it. They punched the lock out etc.

My question for the VW guys is if this is a common problem(I know on the E46 BMW's it is) and if it's easy to just get a blank cover for the drivers side lock like on the passanger door handles to install in place of the lock cylinder since this is obviously a MAJOR problem.

littledan
11-15-2003, 03:26 PM
ouch that sucks man... hope everything works out ok for you.

Fluidic
11-15-2003, 04:02 PM
CBC showed how to break into the MK4 Jetta and Golf's... good ole` CBC...

Khyron
11-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Not sure why it's considered easier than just breaking the window. I'm looking at an compustar thing - but I know that will just make them run away AFTER the bust my lock. :(

I'm hoping one of us catches them... :guns:

Khyron

link785
11-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
I'm looking at an compustar thing - but I know that will just make them run away AFTER the bust my lock. :(

Compustar with additional sirens. I just added some more little features to my Compustar, and have now spent a net total of over $3000 on my alarm system. Break into my car and try to steal my deck or something, and you'll go deaf :)

fast95pony
11-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Sorry to hear that. :( Is it a Jetta thing , or a Chinook thing ??

Fluidic
11-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Volkswagen thing actually... oh well.

bol
11-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Volkswagen thing actually... oh well.

Peter do you know if I can just buy a blank lock cylinder cover(like the ones used on the passanger doors), remove the lock cylinder and put the blank cover in on the drivers side.

This is what the E46 BMW dudes do to solve the problem since those cars have the same issue.

Khyron
11-15-2003, 07:03 PM
You can - I was talking to one of the guys at NL. However, if your fob battery (or car battery) dies, you're screwed. Plus you don't get the cool "use your key to close all windows and sunroof" after getting out.

Khyron

izzoblitzo
11-15-2003, 07:17 PM
did the car have an alarm system? Theres usually something a thief spots in your car that makes him do a smash and grab.. unless he's looking to take your car in the first place. With the amount of cars on the road today with security systems, older cars, like older accords for instance have become a prime target for theives. I think most cars come standard with a remote now. Putting like, say, a club will help repel thieves.. but then again, if they really want your car, theres nothing you can do to stop them.. they'll still try, and leave a mess.

Quick question, do the new civics come factory standard with an alarm system, or do you have to get that as an upgrade? what about keyless entry, is that a standard as well?

GT3
11-15-2003, 07:36 PM
last time i park in front of the door chinook mall ,,day time too.. some one cut my alarm , screw up my door lock.. they try to steal my car..so when i came out.. some biker told me they saw two guy tried to get in my car.. lucky those bike came then they just went away..
n e ways i have compustar..and where the hell is all the security that are always drive around the parking lot

maximus
11-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
CBC showed how to break into the MK4 Jetta and Golf's... good ole` CBC...
They didn't show how to break into a Golf/Jetta IV specifically. Thieves have been breaking into cars for the longest time by "popping" the locks. CBC showed how thieves get into most cars by smashing the cylinders but I think there main focus was stealing the cars by smashing the ignition not soo much breaking in them.

On the Golf/Jetta IV I've heard that because of that stupid feature of rolling down the windows all at once with the key, that when someone trys to break in they can make all the windows drop down at once so all you have to do is lean in and the alarm dosn't even go off. They were having this problem in europe and I have an article in one of my vw magaines about it.

All you have to do is what you said. Buy the cap from one of the other doors and cap it off. You have to be careful though because when you take the cylinder out theres a way to do it without taking off the door panel but you can drop it and the screw into the door. I'm not too sure. Its in the article on how to do it step-by-step. I'll take a look and PM you the details.

00redLUDE
11-17-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by bol
They punched the lock out etc.

My question for the VW guys is if this is a common problem(I know on the E46 BMW's it is) and if it's easy to just get a blank cover for the drivers side lock like on the passanger door handles to install in place of the lock cylinder since this is obviously a MAJOR problem.

What do you mean by punched the lock out?

Originally posted by bol

Peter do you know if I can just buy a blank lock cylinder cover(like the ones used on the passanger doors), remove the lock cylinder and put the blank cover in on the drivers side.

This is what the E46 BMW dudes do to solve the problem since those cars have the same issue.

Is it that easy to get into the E46? I'm thinking of buying one. I thought the E46 has some kind of security function that will prevent them from starting the car. Is that true? If so are all these people trying to do is break in and steal whatever is in the interior? Sucks

:thumbsdow

link785
11-17-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE
Is it that easy to get into the E46? I'm thinking of buying one. I thought the E46 has some kind of security function that will prevent them from starting the car. Is that true? If so are all these people trying to do is break in and steal whatever is in the interior?

Laser cut keys, ignition and fuel pump cut offs. They're not trying to steal the car, they're trying to rip off audio systems and steal things from inside the car. Gay, I know :thumbsdow

bol
11-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Any car is easy to get in to(break window, slimjim, etc) but they're not going to be able to start it up and drive it away with the ignition security they have now. Door locks are easy to break though.

The main issue is that the computers in these cars are programmed to allow the door to be opened via the door lock since it makes sense. When the theives break the lock and unlock it, the alarm gets dissabled since the computer thinks it is a normal entry with the key(it doesn't read the key in the door only in the ignition.) The easiest work around with the BMW's is that the computer can be programmed to ONLY allow the car to be unlocked via the keyfob, if you use the door lock the alarm will sound. The Jetta had an alarm, but it didn't go off because it thought it was a normal entry via the door.

kuff
11-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know what that CBC show was called and the date and time it aired approx. Just wanna give CBC a nice little call! I just had my Jetta broken into last night and had called the dealership. They said that show aired about 10 Jettas within a one week time frame have came in that had been broken in to.

maximus
11-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by kuff
Does anyone know what that CBC show was called and the date and time it aired approx. Just wanna give CBC a nice little call! I just had my Jetta broken into last night and had called the dealership. They said that show aired about 10 Jettas within a one week time frame have came in that had been broken in to.

THEY DID NOT SHOW HOW TO BREAK INTO A MKIV IN THE SHOW
:rolleyes:

garibaldi
12-13-2004, 04:31 PM
I have a 2001 VW Jetta. It was broken in the past Friday night in a gated underground parking lot in Vancouver area. A few of other cars(non-VWs) were broken in as well. Looked like the only thing wanted was the owner's manual.

I went to a VW dealer Saturday. They said there were about 60 plus customers came in to replace their door locks in the past two weeks or so. It seemed to be a new trick discovered for a purpose.

garibaldi
12-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Also gone was ICBC's insurance paper. BCAA recommends to leave a copy with blank address, instead of the original copy, in the car.

Trunk was opened. Not sure if it's locked before or not. A smelly gym bag was taken away.

It the second time for me to become a victim of car vandalism in 2004.

Police
12-13-2004, 06:06 PM
whoa back from the dead

vedder
08-10-2005, 01:16 PM
I have a 2001 jetta that was attempted to be broken into this week in front of my house. But the crook failed to gouge out the lock completely in order to get to the electric door release.Maybee my Yappee Chihuahua detered this. Anyway i priced a new lock out at VW $110.00 and $8.00 for the door lock cap $35.00 for key cutting extra for painting. So I decided to go keyless and remove the lock.So I bought a passenger door metal key cover and plain cap, $20.00 total plus a happy face decal to place on the unpainted cap!. It's easy to change all you need is 5 minutes and a #20 torx screwdriver. I hope this doesn't happen again. Maybee next time i'll need a window? With regards to the doors not unlocking when the Battery is dead? open the trunk with your key and put 12 volts to the aux power plug in the trunk. This should give the the battery enough juice to power up the door lock solenoids. Note this will not work if you don't have access to 12 volt powers supply, or if the solenoids don't work, I believe Canadian Tire Sells an adapter for trickle charging through a cigarette lighter. Regards to all of you who have had your Vw,s molested. Chow!

Thaco
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Back from the dead agian. the original thread is nearly 2 years old.