PDA

View Full Version : Biking year round: Experiences.

el_fefes
10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
This is for anyone who wants to post their experiences riding in our city's longest season: winter :)

And btw thanks for the input in the other thread.

I'll go first.

I purchased front and back lights for visibility as well as a rear fender.

For clothes I've been using what I have... I haven't purchased anything so far but I might have to. I have found that the biggest issue is not staying warm, it's staying cool. I've worn a light jacket with a layer of fleece underneath and a t-shirt and I was cooking inside... that jacket isn't breathable at all. So far I haven't found anything that is really breathable in my wardrobe :(

I rode on monday when it was really cold out and my forehead/face and part of my ears got really cold (although I was wearing a toque) other than that I was fine.

Yesterday when it snowed I did some DORIFFFFTOOO!!1! On Rona's parking lot near Crowfoot station :rofl: I ended up looking in the opposite direction and I don't know how but I didn't fall. :D

Today, the slush almost made me wish I had taken the bus! :guns: I got soaked! Not having a front fender FTL. I also managed to make it without wiping out

Overall I'd say I like biking even when it's cold and snowy outside I actually look forward to the challenge every time I go out. We'll see if I last tho haha.

I also love the look people in cars give me... it's like :nut: hahaha.

Anyway, what have you guys experienced so far?

PS: Any recommendations for a breathable jacket?

phreezee
10-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by el_fefes

PS: Any recommendations for a breathable jacket?

Well, the purpose of a shell is to be water/wind proof. That said, any boarder jacket with pit zips for ventilation would work IMO.

kwazy
10-16-2009, 03:47 AM
You're retarded

As long as you're not in my way, I don't have a problem with you, but the reality is, you WILL be in my way.

J NRG
10-17-2009, 07:17 PM

el_fefes
10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by kwazy
You're retarded

As long as you're not in my way, I don't have a problem with you, but the reality is, you WILL be in my way.

WTF?

Care to explain the useless e-thuggin' post?

el_fefes
10-20-2009, 06:17 PM
^@ J NRG

Holy shit mang it sounds like you've had some bad experiences. Thank god my ride is a short one. I also try to avoid main streets and go through residential ones.

swak
10-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by kwazy
You're retarded

Because the roads are for your use only right?
GTFO.

el_fefes
12-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Reviving this thread to give a HUGE Thank You to the guy that offered to give me a ride (bike included) today in his Toyota Tundra.

Being an idiot, I decided to go from Hawkwood to Scenic Acres thinking I would be fine because it's not usually a long ride. On the way there it's down hill so I managed to make it to my gf's place and learned that riding on the snow can be fun but it also makes me look retarded haha.

The way back was so shitty I could not pedal my bike for more than 10m so I was basically walking... So I'm dragging my bike through the Crowchild Twin Arena Pkg lot thinking that it'll be another two hours before I'm home shitting bricks and all that when this dude approaches my in his pickup and asks if I want a ride. I obviously accept and got home safe and sound!!!!!1!!!one

To the guy in the Tundra! THANK YOU! You got good things coming to you. :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
12-17-2009, 07:21 AM
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0574.jpg

Nuff said :D

Biking ninja GO! I picked up a SUPER cheapy (like $5) fleece neckwarmer and zomg what a difference it makes when biking in the cold O_O

(this was taken at the end of november, forgot I took it o_O)

JRSC00LUDE
12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

Well, the purpose of a shell is to be water/wind proof. That said, any boarder jacket with pit zips for ventilation would work IMO.

Not very well it won't.

Get some proper bike specific clothes and you'll feel great/won't get soaked in sweat. Even in -20+ I only have a vest on for wind-break. It's solid on the front and open mesh on the back to breath well. A good base layer w/breathable wicking top layer and a wind layer over your trunk is what it's all about.

For legs, I have light or medium weight base layer and DH pants that are vented full length down the sides of the legs and fully windproof everywhere else.

Also, get a snowboard style helmet that's insulated w/ear covers! I have a giro one and I've never even needed a toque with it. :thumbsup:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627643&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302885451&bmUID=1261061997739

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627286&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699205&bmUID=1261062060526

^ That with a lightweight base layer and the vest is all you'll need but for the coldest of days.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627293&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699205&bmUID=1261062060534

http://www.giro.com/en-us/products/snow-helmets/g10mx/