PDA

View Full Version : US Shopping Spree?

7thgenvic
10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
So....

With the ol' Greenback heading closer to par with out dollar who is heading to the US to pick up their new ride or waste their hard earned money.

I have been looking locally for a new car for some time now. I did the "responsible" member duty of contacting our local sponsor but I highly doubt that dealerships in Calgary or across Canada can boast the deals that are showing up across the United States.

I know a handful of members have purchased their vehicles in the US and I think now is probably one of the better times to start looking.

For those of you who have purchased vehicles down in the US I have a few questions.

1) New or Used
2) Ebay or Autotrader
3) Dealership or Private

On a secondary note:
I think it might be a great time to purchase my christmas presents as well.

What are you kids thinking? :)

GQBalla
10-15-2009, 10:14 AM
well not lookin to purchase a car yet, but i was thinking about restocking my closet for clothes.

everyday the doller just sits there grinning at me

Skrilla
10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
everyday the doller just sits there grinning at me

I agree......Might have to make my way down there

bituerbo
10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Where is the nearest 'mega-mall' or even an outlet-style strip mall in the US from Calgary? I've got a shopping cart full of items I've been waiting to purchase over at amazon.com!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Hello Park City Utah outlet mall.

88CRX
10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I'd really like to head to the states to purchase the new car.... BUT, after time off work, all the hasles, inspections, etc etc it's still not worth it IMO.

Local used sales have come down in price bigtime in the last year or so.

Neil4Speed
10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Hankshelper and Craigspalfree are good ways to search for cars if anyone is interested. Its a fair bit of work to bring up a US car, but the savings can be massive. For myself, I don't think I really saved too much money but it was more about having something that was not available in Canada in a low mileage form which hadn't seen snow.

Another way to look at it is a great opportunity to drive up your new car through some of the most gorgeous scenery on the planet. I had such a fun time bringing up the car, driving through the California, the Seirra Nevada Mountains, Montana, Waterton etc.

V6-BoI
10-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
I'd really like to head to the states to purchase the new car.... BUT, after time off work, all the hasles, inspections, etc etc it's still not worth it IMO.

Yup, totally agree with you. The biggest thing that bugs me is warranty. I hear some dealerships don't allow warranty to transfer across the boarder. Not sure how accurate that is, but to me it's not worth it.

But I might order some parts for my car since the dollar is pretty strong. I was thinking of doing that after the new year, but if the dollar still stays strong in November, I'm gonna order my intake.

Sailz
10-15-2009, 11:49 AM
1: Used
2: Auto Trader
3: Dealership

I bought my Xterra down in Indiana in December of 2007 when the Dollar had gone to where it seems to be running to again (Better than par). I had the dealer ship it to my vacation home in Montana, I saved 6-7k and couldn't happier.

max_boost
10-15-2009, 12:34 PM
If the dollar gets > the USD like 1.00 for 1.10 haha I am going to look at that 02+ NSX again. You figure with winter, strong dollar, there's got to be some deals out there. :D

Neil4Speed
10-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
If the dollar gets > the USD like 1.00 for 1.10 haha I am going to look at that 02+ NSX again. You figure with winter, strong dollar, there's got to be some deals out there. :D

Hopefully!! What were prices like last time US dollar became par?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/1419000868.html

Zephyr
10-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Buy from California...we're broke :(

Team_Mclaren
10-16-2009, 01:43 AM
^^ find me a good deal on a Lexus RX350

Zephyr
10-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
^^ find me a good deal on a Lexus RX350

Those are a dime a dozen here, every Chinese mom has one

Team_Mclaren
10-16-2009, 01:58 AM
^^

so show up at any dim sum place --> profit?

kwazy
10-16-2009, 03:40 AM
If you know anyone that's a broker or have a friend that's a broker ask them to look for you.

I usually look at wholesaler lists and auctions like

manheim
OVE
simucast
auction pre-sales

scat19
10-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Hello Park City Utah outlet mall.

What? How is that close?

Great falls montanna has malls.