PDA

View Full Version : Audi Allroad - experiences/thoughts/owners welcome

zipdoa
10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Looking for personal opinions on people who own/have driven an Allroad, specifically the 6-speed manual.

I'm probably going to end up with one of these in the near future so it would be interesting to hear what beyond has to say.

http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/f/9913548+w750+st0/0012_4wd_01_z+2001_audi_allroad+audi_offroad.jpg

legendary audi safety (survived world trade center disaster) :nut:

http://allroadfaq.com/images/allroad_samples/crash/wtc_allroad2.1.jpg

Tik-Tok
10-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I have one... I love it... EXCEPT

MAINTENANCE PIG ALERT

Seriously, maybe I just have a lemon, but in 2-1/2 years, I've spent almost $3000 on this thing on non-regular maintenance, and I do most of the work myself.

Here's a link for you though.

http://www.allroadfaq.com/

Those who own them, love them a lot, but most would agree with me.

Tik-Tok
10-15-2009, 02:56 PM
A good write up about them as well from AW

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2065411

bspot
10-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I've heard about many suspension reapairs on these. What engine would you go for? (I think they were offered in more than just the 2.7T no?). The 2.7 has a couple weak points that can be changed with aftermarket parts for better reliability, but a turbo rebuild is pretty inevitable.

pf0sh0
10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
4.2 manual trans get it! Manual trans in these so rare

zipdoa
10-15-2009, 03:57 PM
ya I was thinking 4.2 but I don't know if I could find a 6-speed...

i think i'd go 2.7T and budget some money for the K04 upgrade... would make for a more 'spirited' driving experience.

Tik-Tok
10-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
ya I was thinking 4.2 but I don't know if I could find a 6-speed...

i think i'd go 2.7T and budget some money for the K04 upgrade... would make for a more 'spirited' driving experience.

2.7T in 6-speed
4.2 in either...

Do NOT get the 2.7T tiptronic, that's what I have, and wholly crap between the tip lag, and the turbo lag... it's a lot of, well... lag, lol.

The K04 upgrade is sweet. 450hp shaggin wagon :burnout:
I can still do that, but have to upgrade the TQ converter as well.

The manual's are rare though, I couldn't hold out any longer when trying to find mine, so I compromised.

zipdoa
10-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

2.7T in 6-speed
4.2 in either...

Do NOT get the 2.7T tiptronic, that's what I have, and wholly crap between the tip lag, and the turbo lag... it's a lot of, well... lag, lol.

The K04 upgrade is sweet. 450hp shaggin wagon :burnout:
I can still do that, but have to upgrade the TQ converter as well.

The manual's are rare though, I couldn't hold out any longer when trying to find mine, so I compromised.
MR Auto sales sold their 2.7T 6spd in 24hrs.... probably not a lot of demand but i'm guessing those who want one have their eyes PEELED!

benyl
10-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Can you even get a 4.2 in Canada? I think you have to import those unless the early Allroads came with the 4.2

meowmeow
10-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Prior service records will be your best friend. If not well like everyone has pointed out.. open wallet. :D

sputnik
10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Have you considered a Volvo XC70 instead?

Tik-Tok
10-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Have you considered a Volvo XC70 instead?

I was talking to a guy on AW who owns both, he says the Volvo is nice, but no where near as enjoyable as the Allroad.

D. Dub
10-16-2009, 12:35 PM
or the new Volvo XC 60? I really like the looks of this over the Audi

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/01/30/first-drive-2010-volvo-xc60.htm

bituerbo
10-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Great cars, but maintenance costs can be prohibitive.

Zephyr
10-17-2009, 01:08 AM
why not the new Subaru Outback?

DonJuan
10-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
why not the new Subaru Outback?

:werd:

I love the Subie... I prefer the Legacy Wagon Spec B, but they dont make it after 2007. The outback is the next best thing. I liked the older Volvo XC70 but they suffered from horrendous turbo lag with the trip tronic, but were excellent in winter driving.

Tik-Tok
10-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan

:werd:

I love the Subie... I prefer the Legacy Wagon Spec B, but they dont make it after 2007. The outback is the next best thing. I liked the older Volvo XC70 but they suffered from horrendous turbo lag with the trip tronic, but were excellent in winter driving.

An outback with a airbag kit would be fucking awesome as well. Honestly, it's the best part of the allroad, and the reason I'm clinging to it, lol.

BrianLaarvs
10-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Have you seen this video? I don't know why they didn't have a Subaru there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyKstZ6a5ag

Impreza
10-17-2009, 02:49 PM
My parents have an A6 Avant, not quite an all-road, but sorta close haha. Great car! Awesome in the winter and super comfortable. The only drawback is that, like others have stated, maintenance is pretty damn expensive, and things can and will go wrong!

zipdoa
10-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm looking for a used vehicle... it seems you can get an allroad quite cheap in the states as well. My budget would be around $16 500, which is what most of the allroads on kijiji are hovering around.

Subaru's have an excellent drivetrain but seem to be lacking in interior refinement. Airbag suspension is also a BIG plus for me, as I would like to be able to tackle some slightly more aggressive offroad driving, and apparently the allroad is the only wagon to complete landrovers offroad excursion test.

I was looking for V70R's and 850R's as well (both awd turbo 5spd) - I didn't realize Volvo had such performance oriented vehicles a decade ago!

PS:

Does anyone know offhand if it is possible to add front/rear LSD's to the quattro drivetrain? I have a mechanical locking rear diff, but it has to be engaged manually and is only good to 25km/h.

Originally posted by BrianLaarvs
Have you seen this video? I don't know why they didn't have a Subaru there.

EyKstZ6a5ag

I think Subaru AWD > all

Z6-ERc-DfhA

Zephyr
10-18-2009, 01:30 AM
I'm looking for a used vehicle... it seems you can get an allroad quite cheap in the states as well. My budget would be around $16 500, which is what most of the allroads on kijiji are hovering around.

Subaru's have an excellent drivetrain but seem to be lacking in interior refinement. Airbag suspension is also a BIG plus for me, as I would like to be able to tackle some slightly more aggressive offroad driving, and apparently the allroad is the only wagon to complete landrovers offroad excursion test.

I was looking for V70R's and 850R's as well (both awd turbo 5spd) - I didn't realize Volvo had such performance oriented vehicles a decade ago!

PS:

Does anyone know offhand if it is possible to add front/rear LSD's to the quattro drivetrain? I have a mechanical locking rear diff, but it has to be engaged manually and is only good to 25km/h.

I think Subaru AWD > all

Z6-ERc-DfhA

great video :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
10-18-2009, 08:43 AM
That is a great video, and show's how weak other manufacturers "awd" system's are.. but once again they don't compare it to an Audi's quattro system.

After driving both, and also a friend who's owned several of both (including the Haldex version of quattro), we both agreed that they're pretty damn equal in real world environment... EXCEPT, subaru's version (or just the cars overall) is lighter, and that can make a big difference in certain circumstances.

I think Subaru AWD > all

Z6-ERc-DfhA

psycoticclown
10-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I honestly think the Audi system is better, and I'm a huge subie fanboy haha.

And I showed that video once and I got shut down by somebody by saying it was ridiculously biased lol.

D. Dub
10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
[B]

Check out www.swedespeed.com , www.volvospeed.com and www.turbobricks.org

- GT Style -
10-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

DonJuan
10-29-2009, 03:33 PM
^ what happened there?

Tik-Tok
10-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
^ what happened there?

He said he had an allroad 6MT for sale, and to email him blah AT blah DOT blah