PDA

View Full Version : Muscles to run fast

Nusc
10-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Besides from leg curls (hamstrings), what other exercises help you run faster? Do squats really help? It just seems to me that building muscle would slow you down but then when you look at the olympic sprinters their fast.

TurboD
10-15-2009, 03:25 PM
what type of distance of a sprint are we talking about?

like 50m or 300m?

I'm going to take a guess since I don't know and say that its the perfect ratio of light weight and lean muscle.

My grain of salt advice backed by no experience would suggest that you train sprinting by sprinting.

Big weight lifting and muscle building may add weight to muscles that will slow you down with heavier weight and not the right recruitment of muscles.

Flexibility must help too!
the longer the stride the faster you go?

and lastly, steroids

buh_buh
10-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Squats are the most important exercise when it comes to leg strength. So yes, they really help.

Redlined_8000
10-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Check out this article OP: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek29.htm

alloroc
10-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Also arms triceps biceps - shoulders and lats

Dynamic training for quick sprints for sports like soccer and football now dictate that arm technique is just as if not more important than leg and foot technique. Try running on the spot - slowly while exaggerating arm motion elbows 90 degrees hip to chin flat palms relaxed fingers. Then increase your arm tempo and see what happens to your leg tempo.

if you want to move your legs faster ... move your arms faster.

98type_r
10-15-2009, 03:45 PM
What exactly do you mean by running fast? Do you want to be able to sprint 100m, run 10k in 30 minutes? Or are you looking to be able to outrun competitors on a football/soccer field?

squats are a good foundation to get the leg strength, but the best way to be able to run fast is to train by running. Speed training is typically where most runners get injured though, so it's essential to build up a good base before you just go out and do sprint repeats with a parachute attached to you.

calgarygts
10-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Actually a parachute isn't so bad, resistance running is usually part of a good base. Anyways, like everyone else said - what are you looking to do? Speed is something that can be improved but the ratio of fast twitch muscle fibers you're born with has a lot to do with it. Increase your power (strength * speed) and improve your running technique to get faster.
Stride length is important but don't just try to make them longer - overstriding can ruin a persons speed and really screw the effectiveness of their running in sports like soccer/football/rugby/etc.

lol at the steroids.

Hamann
10-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Be born Black :burnout:

Nusc
10-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Hamann

lol its for soccer. I run fairly fast and I want to run even faster - no steroids though

euphoria
10-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Maybe chicken nuggets will do the trick? :D

HTk17C8jL5w

:rofl:

I immediately thought of this video when I read this comment:

GQBalla
10-15-2009, 10:31 PM

this is true, black people are genetically made faster than most races.

their Achilles (sp) tendon is longer

sexualbanana
10-15-2009, 10:41 PM
From my experience, you'll have to do a mixture of weight exercises like squats, deadlifts, and calf raises with plyometric exercises like depth jumps and jump rope. Training with parachutes and elastics wouldn't hurt.

G-Suede
10-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Nusc

lol its for soccer. I run fairly fast and I want to run even faster - no steroids though

Running sprints and doing other plyometric exercises will be more useful than typical resistance training for achieving your goal.

alloroc
10-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Nusc

Go to fish creek or glenmore or a hill with a *steep* bikepath and run up and down.

Running down is as important as running up because a large number of injuries are from quick decelleration. (torn ACL)

Alterate on the up runs .. first time up bend your knees slightly more than you normally would and stay on the flat of your feet keeping a foot always on the ground. (hamstrings)

Second time up use more conventional and use your toes. (Calves) - note you should still touch your heels every few steps to prevent shin splints.

You should also practice lateral acceleration and wind sprints.

... and dont' forget your arms ... read this ...

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni46a3.htm