PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Nordic winter tires

nagooro
10-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Looking for cheap winter tires and came across these at canadian tire. Can anyone comment on there performance for winter driving.

thanks

TDA
10-16-2009, 12:48 AM
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2007/02/08/winter-tire-test-goodyear-nordic.htm

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php?topic=49166.60

reviews all over the web too.

My family personally have 2 sets on 2 different cars. Snow traction in deep snow is good due to the deep treads. Ice... well, I dont think it will be as good as a top of the line blizzak or hakkapellitta but for the price I paid (30-40% off) can't be beat! Definately holds it own on the ice but dont expect to be superglued to the ice.

They also last a long time apparently. 1 winter barely put a dent in the tread depth.

Note the nordics you see now were redesigned from the older ones.

05*CivicRS
10-16-2009, 01:10 AM
i used to roll on nordics before i started using blizzaks, i think nordics are quite good. Even when i was going through thick snow or ice, they seemed to grip pretty well. Great deal for its price

Sentry
10-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Yup, they're a good budget snow tire. Might also want to check out the WalMart Wintermark Magna Grips.

Zero102
10-16-2009, 08:53 AM
They are remarkably good for the price. Of course none of the cheap tires compare to the expensive ones, but with that said, all of my cars use Goodyear Nordic's during the winter :) I have had 4 different sets now and they are really quite sticky on ice and really dig in to the snow. You just need to be sure to put them on only once the snow starts falling and take them off right away in the spring. Traction on hot dry roads leaves a lot to be desired and the road noise is a little high.

I had one set last 35,000km of winter driving and when I sold them with the car they still had ~50-60% tread left. As a rule I don't use winter tires with less than 50% tread, so they still had maybe 5-8,000km left IMO.

toastgremlin
10-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I just bought my first set of them a few weeks ago when they were on deep discount. Their current deal isn't very good, but if you need snows, it's better than nothing.

When I was doing my research, it was down to the Hankook iPike or the Nordics. I was told the iPike was a clone design of the Hakkapelittas, but they got staggeringly poor reviews so I'm thinking something is wrong in the mixture or design. The Nordic seemed to hold good reviews except for dry tarmac traction, so you'll want to switch those out right away in the spring lest you tear them up.

I don't know what snow tires Costco sells but they had a huge discount on theirs awhile ago - make sure they're not some really rigid Chinese crap and you'd be okay.

Sentry
10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
lol oh man I forgot about road noise with nordics. It's like being on a Dash-8.

The_Rural_Juror
10-16-2009, 11:41 AM
The General Altimax is a better reviewed budget winter tire. You might want to check out CT for a deal on that.