PDA

View Full Version : New VW's - Can't stall them?

3G
11-15-2003, 10:12 PM
I was looking at a 2000 Jetta at the auction today, and when i popped the gear into 1st and let go of the clutch it didn't stall (mind you I didn't touch the gas pedal). This is the first car I've seen like this? Was the car screwed up or is this a feature with VW's?

thanks

nismodrifter
11-15-2003, 11:11 PM
no....there is no such feature, the car is "stallable" (I don't think it is possible for a standard car to be "unstallable"...it's just the way the mechanics work)

was it the red Tdi with like 220k on it??
any idea how much it went for??

3G
11-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
no....there is no such feature, the car is "stallable" (I don't think it is possible for a standard car to be "unstallable"...it's just the way the mechanics work)

was it the red Tdi with like 220k on it??
any idea how much it went for??

nope sorry that one was at Michener (it probably went for like $9000, this was @ Graham, but yeah it didn't stall when i let off the clutch

Alpine Autowerks
11-15-2003, 11:18 PM
clutch is worn out, probably why it's @ auction. had a guy who needed 2 clutches in 100 k on his TDI.. $1300 just for the flywheel.. it's a double mass style.. not repairable.

put a solid flywheel in the 3rd time. unbreakable but you would think the tranny was filled with gravel and iron shot the way it sounded.

3G
11-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
clutch is worn out, probably why it's @ auction. had a guy who needed 2 clutches in 100 k on his TDI.. $1300 just for the flywheel.. it's a double mass style.. not repairable.

put a solid flywheel in the 3rd time. unbreakable but you would think the tranny was filled with gravel and iron shot the way it sounded.

most likely, because last weekend there was a Passat at Michener, same story. :dunno:

hjr
11-16-2003, 12:17 AM
If it was a TDi then it is harder to stall but not impossible. They have a good amount of low end torque.

itsnotaDUB
11-16-2003, 03:31 AM
yah the TDI has really good low end torque thats why its toiugh to stall, you dont even need to hit teh gas in the new ones when you take off...

Ben
11-16-2003, 03:44 AM
I dont have to give gas on my car to get it going either, just ease off the clutch and she's rolling at about 9km/h at 900rpm. No gas req. Same as when I coast to a stop, I can take my foot off the gas in first and it will slow down and coast at 900rpm. Mmmmmm torque. Then you see guys in hondas revving to 2-4k to get the car moving, sounds even worse when they have a loud exhaust.

3G
11-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by itsnotaDUB
yah the TDI has really good low end torque thats why its toiugh to stall, you dont even need to hit teh gas in the new ones when you take off...

yeah that's what I was talking about, but when I pressed and brakes it did stall. Are there any other cars like this?

hjr
11-16-2003, 02:43 PM
well presumable any car running a turbo diesel...

Moe Man
11-16-2003, 03:28 PM
i can get my car into 5th gear no problem without giving it gas (starting from first working my way up)

i could never do that with my accord