PDA

View Full Version : Replacing battery in car equipped with a compustar

Boostn
10-17-2009, 12:26 PM
I need to replace the battery in a car which has a compustar alarm/remote starter installed. Do I need to put the alarm in valet mode before I do this or does it matter? Is there any special procedure I have to follow? I'm assuming that the alarm will revert to all default settings once the battery is disconnected. Or does it retain them for a set amount of time? Once I reconnect the new battery will it trip the alarm?

The alarm is a Compustar 1WFM-AS, remotes are white/grey with the part number 1WFM4R if that helps any.

Criticull
10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
I disarmed the alarm with the remote as normal, since there was enough juice left in the battery to do that, then I just replaced the battery and nothing changed (alarm didn't go off, no setting changes).

If there isn't enough juice to disarm the alarm, the alarm will probably go off as soon as you hook up the new battery, so use the remote to disarm it as it should work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Btw, where did you put the shock sensor on your car? I bought my car used and can't find it. I'm almost ready to bring it into a shop to have someone look in the most likely places.

Boostn
10-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the reply, a shop called Alarmtech installed it for me a few years back. I believe they installed the shock sensor somewhere under the centre console.

Swank
10-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Criticull is right, I just replaced my battery and the alarm/remote start acted like it didn't even notice. Piece o' cake.

Criticull
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Boostn
Thanks for the reply, a shop called Alarmtech installed it for me a few years back. I believe they installed the shock sensor somewhere under the centre console.

Cheers, I'll keep looking for it...Might find it one day lol.

Mar
10-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I replaced my battery and it didn't affect anything, just a straight easy swap. The Compustar doesn't have a backup power supply for some stupid reason so you can disconnect the battery without the siren going off. My old Code alarm was different but this is how Compustar is.

The shock adjuster is a little egg shaped piece of plastic with a rotary dial on it. If you get a flashlight and get up there you should find it under your dash, just turn the dial to the number you want the shock sensor at. I'm assuming you were asking about this and not the actual shock sensor like you said.