PDA

View Full Version : What to use to remove scratches from cars ?

36ounces
10-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Well someone keyed my car and I'm wondering what i could use to remove it if possible.

Thanks in advance

dj_rice
10-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Try buffing it out depending on if its a big scratch or not....otherwise use Meguliars Scratch X I think its called

Type_B
10-18-2009, 08:59 PM
First check how deep the scratches are in the area of your car by using your fingernails. If you feel the crack its not polishable (might have to send it to a bodyshop) cause its too deep. If not clean the area, then use a cutting compound and a polisher. Make sure you polish across from the scratched lines slowly but not too slow to burn the paint off. Add more compound if necessary. Then use a swirl mark remover with a different pad to take the swirls out from the compound. Then use paint protection (dont have to) just to keep the area shiny for a while. :thumbsup:

2EFNFAST
10-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Type_B
First check how deep the scratches are in the area of your car by using your fingernails. If you feel the crack its not polishable (might have to send it to a bodyshop) cause its too deep. If not clean the area, then use a cutting compound and a polisher. Make sure you polish across from the scratched lines slowly but not too slow to burn the paint off. Add more compound if necessary. Then use a swirl mark remover with a different pad to take the swirls out from the compound. Then use paint protection (dont have to) just to keep the area shiny for a while. :thumbsup:

Don't forget though that a lot of scratches, although you can't feel them with your fingernail, can be quite deep - past the point where if you totally remove it, you end up having clearcoat uv failure (too much clear removed). Usually it's best to blend it out as much as possible and live with it, rather than completely polish it out (unless you were getting rid of the vehicle)