PDA

View Full Version : Salt & Pepper's Tacos

sexualbanana
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Has anyone tried their all you can eat tacos on Tuesdays? Just curious to know what it's like.

beyond_ban
10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Never heard of this... Where is it? I all of a suddenly started craving a taco

n1zm0
10-19-2009, 09:34 AM
on mac trail across the world health gym? i've always wanted to try for dinner, pass by it so many times.

lelalong
10-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Salt and Pepper's website (http://www.saltnpepper.ca/events.php)

How are their tacos regularly? Good? Ok?

My misunderstanding...thought the date on the website meant it was new for the next few months.

But doesn't sound like its that great of a deal judging by the responses.

Mixalot27
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
I've been there before a couple times for the AYCE tacos. It has been a couple years though so I can't remember that well but I think it was decent but nothing too special. I recall them being a little bland (not much spice), so you might want to order a side of salsa or some hot sauce. You get a choice of shredded chicken, beef, or Chorizo. They bring you a plate with 3 of them at a time. Then when you finish that they will bring you more if you want. The location on Mcleod is very small and sometimes hard to get a table.

nonlinear
10-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by lelalong
Salt and Pepper's website (http://www.saltnpepper.ca/events.php)

Its a fairly new thing. How are their tacos regularly? Good? Ok?

it's definitely not a new thing, they've been doing this for years. their tacos (and food in general) are pretty good, but i haven't been to salt and pepper for 2 or 3 years because they are REALLY, REALLY overpriced for what you get. i mean, $16 (or whatever it is now) is a lot of cash for a plate that can't even fill up a 90 lb chick - not to mention a 175 lb dude (me). mi tierra is far better.

but i remember the taco night being a pretty good deal. i think it was like $10 last time i went, or something like that.

EDIT: i've been to all the locations except cochrane, and the best by far is the bowness - esp in the summer on the patio.

Kritafo
10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah they have had the taco deal for years and years.

Bowness I agree, best location. You only get the refried beans and condiments once. But you can order unlimited and mix and match your meats.

The new Los Tortilla place in the NE is better, Salt and Pepper isn't what it used to be.

Kloubek
10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
I agree with nonlinear. I found them way too expensive for an itty bitty bit of food, and have not gone back since.

npham
10-19-2009, 09:07 PM
AYCE Tacos is around 12 bucks at the Bowness location but it's been about a year since I went for them. The food is generally good, but as stated before a bit expensive. However, the AYCE is a good deal IMO and their tacos are usually good.

RY213
10-19-2009, 11:07 PM
I find the restaurant has good foods but like others have said the prices are a little expensive for what you get. AYCE tacos is a great deal though. The lady at the Macleod location usually asks how many tacos you would like to start with. My only problem is the service at this location is terrible. The lady that owns it has rolled her eyes at us when we have ordered extra tacos. Were not big dudes and heavy eaters either. She has also denied us free refills on soda, or tried to charge us for refills without telling us. I was actually boycotting this place for over a year due to the poor service, but the delicious food enticed me back in.

nonlinear
10-19-2009, 11:13 PM
mi tierra is opening a second location on heritage and fairmont. if salt and pepper wants to remain competitive with Hector, they're gonna have to half the price or double the amount of food on their entrees.... for reals.

Nissanaddict
11-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
mi tierra is opening a second location on heritage and fairmont. if salt and pepper wants to remain competitive with Hector, they're gonna have to half the price or double the amount of food on their entrees.... for reals.

Yep. That location is supposed to have a liquor license as well. Due to living just down the street, Mi Tierra's pretty much the only place I go....for $12 all you can eat tacos....I think it's $3.50 a taco at Mi Tierra, so $14 for 4...and it just tastes so much better.

ee2k
11-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by RY213
I find the restaurant has good foods but like others have said the prices are a little expensive for what you get. AYCE tacos is a great deal though. The lady at the Macleod location usually asks how many tacos you would like to start with. My only problem is the service at this location is terrible. The lady that owns it has rolled her eyes at us when we have ordered extra tacos. Were not big dudes and heavy eaters either. She has also denied us free refills on soda, or tried to charge us for refills without telling us. I was actually boycotting this place for over a year due to the poor service, but the delicious food enticed me back in.

I agree with the above. I have gone to the McLeod location many times and the best time to go is on Tuesdays for AYCE in order to get good value for the $. A few notes for those who have never been:
- it is not a buffet, so you order each time
- service is slow/spotty
- somewhat feels cramped
- not totally welcoming
- the tacos are good however, with the sausage ones being spicier than the others. they are not large tacos so if you are a heavy eater, don't go on non-AYCE days
- like someone else mentioned, if you like spicy, ask for side of salsa and/or hot sauce

I have gone out of there fully satisfied in terms of the food, and have no service expectations. If you are going as a group, try to go with cash to avoid further eye rolling for separate cheques/transactions.

I would still go back again, I have been to worse environments but where the food is good.