PDA

View Full Version : Lamb

bubbley
10-19-2009, 11:45 AM
I love lamb but am struggling to find a great Restaraunt that serves a nice delicious lamb dish. There are some decent greek places that serve lamb like Broken Plate which is good and also I enjoy indian lamb dishes.

Anyone have any suggestions to find some good lamb meals here in the city?

GQBalla
10-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I found boleros to be good for their lamb.

or make it yourself.

r3ccOs
10-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
I found boleros to be good for their lamb.

or make it yourself.

Yup... grab your mom's dutch oven and throw a lamb shank in there...

cook till tasty and tender

Tik-Tok
10-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Lamb from the farmers market :thumbsup:

meowmeow
10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Make yourself soup with mutton broth :D :thumbsup:

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/893482/8887321/0/1241334491/mutton_bouillon_cube.jpg

dannie
10-19-2009, 11:51 AM
There is a greek place in Shawnessy called Plaka Taverna (its in the corner beside the zellers). Their Kleftiko dish is out of this world. In fact... I think I might head there for lunch :) Yum!

n1zm0
10-19-2009, 12:05 PM
lamb from farmers market as said above or an asian/middle eastern butcher (cheaper), get a pressure cooker and a braised lamb recipe of your choice, diy! you can even just bs it and put a bunch of onions/carrots/potatoes and rosemary/thyme/salt/pepper etc and i bet if would turn out great,

the best thing about a pressure cooker is almost every meat tough or not can be done in give or take and hour usually. :drool: braised lamb shank

JC522
10-19-2009, 11:19 PM
pressure cooked meat is pretty good, it always comes out tender and falls off the bone. I just take the rack of lamb and rub salt all over it and then stuff some garlic in it, my mom said it gets rid of the game taste. After that I just plop it on the bbq till my thermometer says medium rare. First time came out excellent, second time my thermometer didn't make it out and the lamb was still cold blue. Ate it anyways cause I was too lazy to put back on the grill, wasn't too bad

TurboD
10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
butcher + shoulder of lamb + 8 hours on low heat w/ a slow cooker

= delicious

A790
10-20-2009, 12:01 AM
We do lamb pretty well. Really well, actually. My mother (Suzanne) went through six different suppliers until she found the lamb she liked.

Davetronz
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM
I love lamb and I've been getting mine from "Billy the Butcher" in Avenida strip mall. He does a really good job cleaning and preparing the rack and it's been really tender and flavorful.

My preferred method is to give the rack a little bit of olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper, rub with a bit of dijon mustard and finish with a sprinkle of fresh chopped rosemary.

Wrap the end of the bones with a layer of tin foil to prevent charring and toss it on a BBQ for a quick sear on high heat. Crank down the temperature to medium-low and let the rack cook slowly for 20-30 minutes. Take it off the grill and let the meat sit under a tin foil tent for 5-10 minutes. Comes out a perfect (for me) medium well.

JC522
10-20-2009, 05:45 PM
That's what I forgot to do the second time, I didn't put olive oil on it. Gotta go buy a rack sometime soon and re do it to make up for my mistake

msommers
10-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Santorini's rack of lamb is fucking delicious.

cancer man
10-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Santorini's rack of lamb is fucking delicious.

And don't forget the fried cheese..awesome.

BeeGirl
10-25-2009, 08:21 PM
The Ranche in Fish Creek Park is always good IMO, though not a casual dining place for sure, and not easy on the wallet

The menu right now has a pistachio crusted rack of lamb