PDA

View Full Version : LF: Authorized Mechanic

crazieness
10-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Can someone point me into the direction of an Authorized Mechanic who can inspect my car to ensure it's "road worthy". This is for insurance purposes as my winter beater is over 15 years old. I do not believe I need a $100 inspection at Cnd Tire, I just need the authorized mechanic to provide documentation that the car is safe enough to be on the road.

Dj_Stylz
10-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Is it safe enough to be on the road?

crazieness
10-19-2009, 12:39 PM
yes indeed it is!

2EFNFAST
10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
- Unless your driving a salvage vehicle I've never heard of an insurance company wanting an inspection to insure a vehicle? :confused:

- $100 doesn't seem bad at CT, given most shop rates are going to be 80-120....but then again, I have no idea what type of inspection you're even looking for :confused: :confused:

5G_celica
10-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
- Unless your driving a salvage vehicle I've never heard of an insurance company wanting an inspection to insure a vehicle? :confused:

- $100 doesn't seem bad at CT, given most shop rates are going to be 80-120....but then again, I have no idea what type of inspection you're even looking for :confused: :confused:

he's looking for the insurace safety inspection for 12 years or older cars.

option-import did mine last year. can't remember how much it cost.

ShermanEF9
10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
shelby auto does a good job and its cheaper then CT.

n1zm0
10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

as he said anything over 15years (or 12?) requires insurance inspection, idk about all places but my insurance requires it, it's a checklist ALOT smaller than an oop or these $100 vehicle inspections obviously, its a basic look at the car saying, 'no, it will not break in half on deerfoot and exxon valdez itself to death' really.

however it can also be a huge headache to those visual type of average joes, the ones who buy a car simply on how much tire tread and clearcoat is left on the car and if the engine can rev up to 6000 rpm. i.e: mechanic finds that dried up loose balljoint or split cv boot, it can rack up if you choose to fix it..

2EFNFAST
10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 5G_celica

he's looking for the insurace safety inspection for 12 years or older cars.

Is this something only certain companies require? I've never heard of that in Alberta before.

Originally posted by n1zm0

as he said anything over 15years (or 12?) requires insurance inspection, idk about all places but my insurance requires it, it's a checklist ALOT smaller than an oop or these $100 vehicle inspections, its a basic look at the car saying, 'no, it will not break in half on deerfoot and exxon valdez itself to death'

however it can also be a huge headache to those visual type of average joes, the ones who buy a car simply on how much tire tread and clearcoat is left on the car and if the engine can rev up to 6000 rpm. i.e: he finds that dried up loose balljoint or split cv boot, it can rack up..

Interesting, I did not know that. I know several people with C4 (8?-96) corvettes and they didn't need any insurance inspections. (atleast that I'm aware of).

Black Gts
10-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Tire pirates did one for me in the spring.. It was 60 if I remember correctly

crazieness
10-19-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't know about other companies, but TDMM requires it. Over the phone and in the letter they sent they just said they need a written document from an authorized mechanic that says it's road worthy so they didn't have any requirements on what items should be on the checklist used.

n1zm0
10-19-2009, 01:10 PM
AMA has a checklist, idk if it's proprietary for them tho but they give them out off a huge pad.

ExtraSlow
10-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Not all insurance companies require this, but it's pretty common.
I'm with TDMM, and they are pretty nice about it, but you need to get it done eventually. I got them to extend my initial 30 days grace period to 60 days once, no questions asked.

Still, it's a hassle if you are trying to insure a "questionable" vehicle.

Also, just about every shop will do this.

Masked Bandit
10-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Technically, any and all insurance companies can demand a safety inspection for vehicles 12 years old or older. It's normally asked for the first time you insure that specific car. Most companies use a 15 year time line but can ask for the 12 year mark if they want to be a pain in the ass.

There are also a few specialty situations that don't need them but overall this is pretty standard practice.

thager
10-19-2009, 03:36 PM
where are you located in the city??

crazieness
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
NE.. da hood!