PDA

View Full Version : No US Title or import papers, what to do...

canuckcarguy
10-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I recently purchased the contents of an abandoned storage unit, and the contents included a 2003 Toyota Echo. Unfortunately, I have no registration or import documents on the vehicle, which has a Massachusetts license plate and inspection sticker from 2005, and does not come up as active at Alberta Registries. It also doesn't come up as stolen, and there are no finance liens registered against it. I legally acquired it under a storage lien, and while I'm quite certain I have legal "title" to the vehicle, I am at a loss as to how to import it.

If it's too much hassle to legally register it, I'll sell it for parts, but since the car runs and drives well, it seems a shame to have it dismantled.

Any suggestions? My own thinking is that I should contact the Massachusetts government and ask them to produce a title, but I'm not sure if that's something they'll do, given that I'm not the registered owner and I'm calling from Canada. Then, presumably, I'd need to present paperwork at the border, but would I also need to present the car? And finally, while I have a bill of sale from the storage unit purchase, I'm thinking they'll want a bill of sale at the border from a US seller, which I obviously won't be able to obtain from the previous owner.

Figured I'd run this past the board and see if anybody's had or heard of a similar predicament... thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Weapon_R
10-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I think you'll have to establish legal ownership over the vehicle before you request the title. A lost title can be ordered from the DMV of the state where it was last registered.

Below is a link to help you start. It doesn't look like too much hassle, especially if the car is clean enough to sell as they are still worth several thousand. Once you get the title, you can bring it up and pay the import fees and you're set.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/titles/6dup.htm

Team_Mclaren
10-19-2009, 08:57 PM
if the vehicle has never been imported through normal procedures. You'll need to return it to the US prior to importing it.

As for the title, you'll have to inquire Massachusetts DMV (RMV) for a replacement. With documentations for prove of ownership i would assume. That's a lot of paper work and convincing since you did not purchase the vehicle out right.

PS on the bill of sale, if you own the vehicle, which can be proved by the title (has your name on it). I dont think you'll need a bill of sale then. Contact RIV regarding that.

It's going to be a long process and a lot of emails and calls. good luck

canuckcarguy
10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for finding that Mass. website. Looking at their form, it looks like to get the title I'd have to be the original title holder or a registered motor vehicle dealer. I'm going to call them, but I think this might end up being more hassle than it's worth. Plus, to get it back into the US would be weird - if I don't have the title in my own name, I'd need some pretty convincing paperwork to cross the border and then bring it back to Canada without a US bill of sale from the owner. I'm going to search the car and see if I can find any stuff with the original owner's name on it, maybe if I contact him or her, that might help. But I'd say it's a long shot...

Team_Mclaren
10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
is the car in calgary?

canuckcarguy
10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Edmonton.

Team_Mclaren
10-19-2009, 09:21 PM
pm'ed

Supa Dexta
10-20-2009, 09:46 AM
How do you get it to canada, just fly down throw a plate on it and cross?

scat19
10-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Any other goodies in that place? First I've heard of anyone buying an abandoned place with contents!

mr2mike
10-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Thanks for finding that Mass. website. Looking at their form, it looks like to get the title I'd have to be the original title holder or a registered motor vehicle dealer. I'm going to call them, but I think this might end up being more hassle than it's worth. Plus, to get it back into the US would be weird - if I don't have the title in my own name, I'd need some pretty convincing paperwork to cross the border and then bring it back to Canada without a US bill of sale from the owner. I'm going to search the car and see if I can find any stuff with the original owner's name on it, maybe if I contact him or her, that might help. But I'd say it's a long shot...

Do you not know who the container belonged to? The title could be sent to them.
Title won't be in your name. It will have the previous owner on it. Then depending on the state, they sign over the car to you on the title I believe.

Yes, I wouldn't cross the border into the US with this car until you have EVERY piece of paperwork. Then I would declare it as you're entering into the US. But you must have a reason or some document to show why you're in posession of the car without an official title or bill of sale or anything.