PDA

View Full Version : Someone to build sub box

pyro
10-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Cant seem to find any used box's around so im looking for someone to make one for me, All i need is something like 2ft long by 16" high, bottom width 8" top width 6" cut for one 12" sub and ported. Basically to fit a 07 sierra reg cab. PM me with price

spike98
10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
My advice would be to draw something up, figure out what each peice has to be cut too and go to home depot and have them cut up a 4x8 of MDF.

Then put it together with some wood glue and predrilled counter sunk screws.

Let it all dry and take it to any audio shop (ie visions, futureshop, ect) and have them punch the sub hole and carpet it for you. They will prolly charge you around $50-$75.

Total cost would be no more than $100 as opposed to having one made for $250+

Tony2
10-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Home Depot :eek: When is the last time you seen them doing anything but a rough cut on wood? You think it is going to be precise enough to put together a box without huge gaps? Then who is going to carpet, paint, or finish it so it doesn’t look ghetto?

I would suggest you go to a stereo shop and get a proper box designed for the sub and vehicle!! More goes into that that the average backyard installer believes, do it right the first time will save you money in the long run on having to redo it IMO.

Worst case scenario just buy a pre-built box, most retailers cary them for such cases.

Tony2

spike98
10-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes home depot. I have been DIY installing stereos into my vehicles and several vehicles for the last 10 years. From putting two 15's into my mothers daily driver when i was 16 to a full custom false floor install with fiberglass box and kicks in my last ride.

I mentioned who would "carpet, paint, or finish it". If you are suggesting a prebuilt box then....you had mentioned having a box built to a sub....

Home depot is a reliable place to get MDF cut very easy and cheaply. I find if you toss the dude a $10 bill on the side he makes sure that he takes a second to make sure the cut is right.

Simple boxes are VERY easy to do right. The hardest part of the job is the cutting. Because you need expensive tools to be accurate. Hell i would even say carpet your own shit too. Its also not hard. http://www.bcae1.com/ has a awesome primer on how to design build and carpet sub boxes.

Why throw away hundreds of $$ if you can do it yourself?

I get professionals to do work i cannot do myself. Trust me, this type of work is not hard.

futurecivic
10-21-2009, 09:53 PM
with the contour of the truck under the seats it would be better to do the bottom out of fibre glass so it gets all the contours

project240
10-21-2009, 11:56 PM
I could build you the box as long as you find someone to take care of the carpet, etc...

I do alot of woodworking, mostly larger furniture, but I'm sure I could help you out.

Pm if interested.