PDA

View Full Version : Help with Winter Tires n Wheels

nonofyobiz
10-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm getting winter tires for the first time and i'm trying to decided what to get. I wanted the Nokian Hakka R's, which i've read lots of good things about and it sounds like i can't go wrong with these, but the the salesman at kal tire talked me into the Nitto SN2's.
Hakka R's are 162, and the SN2's are 150 ea. He seems to think they are very close in performance.

Anyone have any experience with the Nitto's???

Also, he offered me some alloy wheels for 84 ea. Should I go with them or should I just get some cheap steelies from cambodian tire?

ALSO ....haha um...is it better to go with a narrower tire???
THese are for a 03 Lancer OZ, and I believe the tire size is 195/60 R15...and I'm a noob and don't understand the first 2 numbers :confused:

Numi
10-20-2009, 08:51 PM
id go with the hakkas but i havn't read anything on the nittos but i do know that nitto makes some good summer compounds.

max_boost
10-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Well if you are unsure, just stick with the Hakka R's as they are proven. It's an R rated tire and I'm willing to bet they are indeed amazing in the snow even though I've never driven on them.

As for alloy wheels, what size? 15? 16? 17?

$84/wheel isn't outrageous by any means.

nonofyobiz
10-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well if you are unsure, just stick with the Hakka R's as they are proven. It's an R rated tire and I'm willing to bet they are indeed amazing in the snow even though I've never driven on them.

As for alloy wheels, what size? 15? 16? 17?

$84/wheel isn't outrageous by any means.
They are 15's. Originally he said like 109 for them, and he quoted me over 100 for stealies, but I told him no way b/c i got offered i think 66 for stealies from another shop so he's giving me a discount on the alloy wheels.

realazy
10-20-2009, 09:02 PM
The first number is the width in mm. 195 mm

The second number is the profile, a % of the width. 60% of 195 = 117mm.

You should also see if you like the look of the alloys, some alloys look :barf:

nonofyobiz
10-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Looks like it was the 5 spoke one below, They are the same price, i think the 7 spoke looks better??

http://www.kaltire.com/images/wheel_62_new-superlite.jpg

http://www.kaltire.com/images/wheel_90_Evo7_CR238_Chrome_1.jpg