PDA

View Full Version : LF: Professional Resume Writing

911sc
10-21-2009, 11:23 AM
My brother wants to get a professional resume done, I googled some companies but don't know who might do a really good job around Calgary.

Can anyone suggest some companies they have dealt with.

Speed_69
10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
I would also like to get this done depending it cost.

msouther
10-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I dealt with Graham Management out of Toronto I believe, but the consultant I had was from Hamilton or something. They will only deal with certain professionals and cater to the $100K+ crowd.

The package I had done was resume, branding and a bunch of other good stuff and it was around $2,500. I think you can get a resume done up from them for around $1,500 or so, and these are custom which require participation, homework, and telephone interviews with your consultant. Most of this is useless to me now, as I have since become a realtor, but for anybody looking to get the upper hand in the recruitment landscape, I would highly recommend them.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.grahammanagement.com/

Jlude
10-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Wow.... 2500 to have your resume typed up by someone else?

Do they really help that much? I've had the same resume format for years.

FiveFreshFish
10-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Search sample resumes online. Find a format you like and then replicate it.

msouther
10-24-2009, 10:38 AM
It isn't just a resume package though, and if that isn't your cup of tea, there are a ton of free downloads available online. Using their services will definitely bring out all of the best of your employability skills, and place them in front of employers in a way that stands out from the crowd. There is also Light Speed Resumes (Googled them) and they will do it up for around $200 or $300 as well.

2EFNFAST
10-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
Wow.... 2500 to have your resume typed up by someone else?

Do they really help that much? I've had the same resume format for years.

As surprising as it may seem, I would say 90% of people (at least) don't have a fricken clue how to do a resume.

When I've hired people for contract work, most of the times I'm handed crap, from 20page resumes listing every job they've had since 1970 and all the skills they learned, to where somebody spends 1/4 of the page listing hobbies, such as "skiing, golfing, swimming, etc..."

And then there's the ones that feel the need to attach covering letters (Does anybody ever read cl's anymore? I don't and neither does my dad)....ranging again from a 10page covering letter to ones that are addressed to a completely different business.

I sometimes don't know what goes through peoples' minds when they're applying.

Jlude
10-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

As surprising as it may seem, I would say 90% of people (at least) don't have a fricken clue how to do a resume.

When I've hired people for contract work, most of the times I'm handed crap, from 20page resumes listing every job they've had since 1970 and all the skills they learned, to where somebody spends 1/4 of the page listing hobbies, such as "skiing, golfing, swimming, etc..."

And then there's the ones that feel the need to attach covering letters (Does anybody ever read cl's anymore? I don't and neither does my dad)....ranging again from a 10page covering letter to ones that are addressed to a completely different business.

I sometimes don't know what goes through peoples' minds when they're applying.

I suppose.

last time I touched up my resume was when I moved to Calgary in 04