PDA

View Full Version : Should it stay or should it go?

freshprince1
10-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Well, I'm not usually a big fan of the "opinion" threads, but here goes.

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to sell our Maxima. We've owned it for three years, never given us a problem, pretty low on kms and in great shape.

We bought an SUV a few months ago when our 2nd child was born for more space, and the SUV is used by my wife. I commute with the Maxima.

We originally planned to sell the Maxima, buy a smaller car for me to commute to work (i.e. 4cyl, 5spd...). We would use the leftover funds - probably about $2000 - as a little bonus payment on the mortgage.

The Dilemma: So do I sell the Maxima, get a small car, and make a little money - risking getting into a car that might not be as solid? Or do I just keep the Maxima, its a great car, and very low risk?

I like the thought of having a quick little car like a celica or imprezza, but I'd hate to get rid of a good car and end up with one that might nickel and dime me.

I think I can get around $9K for the Maxima, and I would spend about $6500 on the downsized car.

Thoughts?

edit: we don't owe any money on either vehicle, so no monthly payments to work into the equation.

IceTea
10-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Sell the maxima and buy a jdm :thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
10-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Keep it. Not worth the hassle to switch cars for a couple grand.

Tik-Tok
10-21-2009, 02:21 PM
I'll give you $3g for the maxima.

J/K. Keep it man, you already know that it could be huge money pit getting into another car. You could completely luck out, or more likely, end up spending more on the new car.

Weapon_R
10-21-2009, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't downgrade to a compact to save 2k. If you have other motivations for downgrading, then go for it but based on what you said I'd prefer the size and comfort of the maxima over any small 4cyl.

scat19
10-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Do you NEED an suv for your one child? A car/wagon should suffice... Get rid of the envoy and pick up another mid-sized car....

R154
10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
That would make little sense as he would lose more money on the SUV the on the mid size. Besides he already commutes the maxima.

To be honest I would NOT sell the maxima if it has been trouble free thus far. you get what you pay for, and 6500$ is not going to get you very far...

freshprince1
10-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by scat19
Do you NEED an suv for your one child? A car/wagon should suffice... Get rid of the envoy and pick up another mid-sized car....

reading > Scat??

We have 2 kids now, as mentioned above.

The Maxima worked great for one kid, but with two kids 2 years apart...you need two car seats, 2 strollers sometimes. And besides, we wanted the SUV for winter/camping/towing...etc.

Everyone's opinions are appreciated. Keep'em coming. The fun thing to do would be to get a quick little car, but I guess the sensible thing is to keep the Maxima.

scat19
10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Everyone's opinions are appreciated. .

:rolleyes:

punky
10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
i'm facing similar decision, and i decided to keep my maxima. Its hard to find a car comparable to a maxima at similar price. $2000 isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

bulaian
10-21-2009, 02:57 PM

:rolleyes:

why are you rolling your eyes when you're the one who can't read that he has 2 kids, not 1?

scat19
10-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

why are you rolling your eyes when you're the one who can't read that he has 2 kids, not 1?

I didn't feel appreciated for comment, even though I forgot a kid.

whiskas
10-21-2009, 03:11 PM
It would be worthwhile to sell the maxima if you get a JDM FD RX7 in its place.

freshprince1
10-21-2009, 03:13 PM

I didn't feel appreciated for comment, even though I forgot a kid.

My apologies for not making you feel appreciated. Your opinion went off in a total different direction, and I thought further explanation would help. I didn't know you were so sensitive, I'll work harder at acknowledging your input in the future. (jk).:thumbsup:

sputnik
10-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

Because not all of us live in a world convinced that because you have two kids means that you NEED a minivan/SUV.

My sister and I grew up never knowing a car with more than 2 doors. Somehow my parents survived.

Suggesting that he downsize the SUV in exchange for a midsize sedan is a perfectly reasonable suggestion IMO.

89s1
10-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Because not all of us live in a world convinced that because you have two kids means that you NEED a minivan/SUV.

My sister and I grew up never knowing a car with more than 2 doors. Somehow my parents survived.

Suggesting that he downsize the SUV in exchange for a midsize sedan is a perfectly reasonable suggestion IMO.

Amen.

What I'm wondering is how a family with 2 kids had such a hard time with the maxima. They aren't exactly small cars. and they have 4 doors with ample trunk space.

Does your SUV seat 7 or 5?

HHURICANE1
10-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I'd keep the Maxima. You know the car and like the car. It's also big enough that if you have to you can haul the whole family in it where with a smaller car you may not be able to.

Tik-Tok
10-21-2009, 03:32 PM

And besides, we wanted the SUV for winter/camping/towing...etc.

freshprince1
10-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

Amen.

What I'm wondering is how a family with 2 kids had such a hard time with the maxima. They aren't exactly small cars. and they have 4 doors with ample trunk space.

Does your SUV seat 7 or 5?

The Maxima was fine with one kid, less convenient with two. The trunk could hold the stroller and some groceries..not a ton of room. The biggest pet peeve we had was having to lean over, holding out the kid and placing them in the car seat.

The choice to move to an SUV was just that, a choice, based on several preferences, and since you all seem so interested, here they are:

1) More room, the hatch provides at least twice the cubic feet of storage.

2) Better height. Lifting the kids into their car seats, we do not have to lean way down and stretch out to get them in, it's just up and in now. The same goes for grocies and luggage, up and into the back hatch...no more burrowing down in the trunk.

3) Winter. 4x4 is hands down better.

4) Camping. 4x4, clearance, offroad. Though an Envoy is no offroad powerhouse, it is better than the Maxima. Plus the built in roof rack for extra capacity is more functional and less nerdy than an aftermarket roofrack on the Maxima.

5) Towing. We often borrow my dad's 2 Seadoos in the summer. Now I can do so more often because I don't have to borrow a truck as well.

6) My wife feels safer in it. She likes it. I like having her feeling comfortable with what she drives. Having my wife and kids in a sturdy 4x4 SUV is reassuring. And besides: Happy wife, Happy Life.

7) Since the Mrs. is the primary driver, and she is a homemaker the SUV gets about 80kms per week on it. So its not killing us on gas.

8) It is what we want.

I work hard to provide for my family on one salary, so yah, I'm going to buy what we prefer to buy when we are able. The Envoy is comfortable, smooth and sturdy. True, it may not be necessary or even 100% practical, but if every decision were carried out to extremes on the basis of maximizing practicality we'd all be shopping at Value Village and driving 1997 Toyota Tercel's with no radios.

posted by Sputnik - The factoid about towing/camping etc wasn't mentioned until after freshprince1 had flamed scat19.
My intention was not to flame scat, I've got no beef with him. It was to be sarcastic and funny. Sorry if I failed.

Anyways, back on topic. I think I agree with most of you; the hassle of switching cars for a couple grand just aint worth it. In the end, it is a dang comfortable car to be stuck with.

sputnik
10-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
[/size]

Reading > You

The factoid about towing/camping etc wasn't mentioned until after freshprince1 had flamed scat19.

SCHIDER23
10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
I must agree with everyone else, keep the car since you know how reliable it is, instead of going into the unknown.:thumbsup:

hampstor
10-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Keep the Maxima. You know it, you trust it.

Regarding other comments by users about not needing an SUV/Minivan - yep, very few people actually ever need it. When i bought my truck my parents said to me: we managed with 4 kids in an old Honda Civic hatch (early 80's). You don't need a truck.

What I said: just because they did it in a small vehicle, why do I need to? If I have the means and the choice between the 2, I would choose the larger family vehicle for the convenience.

max_boost
10-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Nothing beats knowing how reliable your own car is. With other used cars, you just don't know. Not worth it. Keep the Maxima.

FiveFreshFish
10-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I think that if the figure was $5k in your pocket, it would be worth revisiting.

Masked Bandit
10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
It's not enough of a savings to risk it. You would be getting into a car that may not be as reliable as your Maxima. Besides, if you are taking it easy, that Maxima isn't going to use much more fuel than a little four banger.

In addition, if the family vehicle needs repairs, you can still get by with the Maxima as a family vehicle for a bit. Not so much with a little shit box.

The $2000 just isn't worth it.

I'm also guessing that most of the people saying you don't need a SUV for a family probably don't have kids. It's true, you don't NEED it, but it sure makes family life a lot easier. Aside from that, when some idiot decides to run a stop sign and hit me, I'd rather my family be in a SUV instead of a little car.

bjstare
10-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Reading > You

The factoid about towing/camping etc wasn't mentioned until after freshprince1 had flamed scat19.

Pretty sure Tik-Tok's post was aimed at yourself and HHURICANE1 for saying that a car will work fine for the family, even though OP already posted that the SUV is for "winter/camping/towing..etc.", as well as convenience for the family.

comprehension > you

freshprince1
10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks all for your opinions, they actually did help me in making the decidion to keep the car. I

'm going to fix some of the little things (i.e. new fog lights, suspension, and install my stereo - anyone have a wiring kit they want to sell me?) and enjoy the ride for a few more years...or until I get that company vehicle they have been talking about.

aristocrat
10-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
It would be worthwhile to sell the maxima if you get a JDM FD RX7 in its place.

did no one else see this.
either im not detecting sarcasm or this guys an idiot.

beyond_ban
10-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by aristocrat

did no one else see this.
either im not detecting sarcasm or this guys an idiot.

Your sarcasm detector is most definitely malfunctioning.

2EFNFAST
10-23-2009, 01:07 PM

6) My wife feels safer in it. She likes it. I like having her feeling comfortable with what she drives.

That would scare me - how many females driving SUVs out there think they're queen of the road and are untoucable in it (most)

freshprince1
10-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

That would scare me - how many females driving SUVs out there think they're queen of the road and are untoucable in it (most)

I assume you're not implying my wife in in that category.

I feel sorry for guys married to those women then.

My wife is a consciencous driver and has never once made me cringe, doubt, or worry with regards to her driving.

2EFNFAST
10-23-2009, 02:44 PM

My wife is a consciencous driver and has never once made me cringe, doubt, or worry with regards to her driving.

Are you certain that you're not just trying to troll Beyond today? :rofl:

kwazy
10-24-2009, 03:53 AM
... what can you get for $6500. Not worth the hassle for 2k which could be a bad mistake if your new car runs into unforeseen problems...