PDA

View Full Version : calgary homes suck

hattonlynch
10-21-2009, 07:38 PM
who agrees?

all just a bunch of cookie cutter homes. no style, no substance, badly built. ahh....wish we had some damn custom homes here.

p.s - im prepared for some backlash here, mainly cause this is beyond but this is the honest to god truth. the homes here are the dumps.

5000Audi
10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
WOW, props for an AWSOME thread..

SUBSCRIBED

:whocares:

HungryJack
10-21-2009, 07:43 PM
I disagree.

There are a number of custom home builders in Calgary. The bigger home builders have specifically planned homes in order to keeps costs down, I'm sure. If you don't find a plan you like with a major builder, go to one of the many custom builders based in the city.

Is this really something that even needs to be told to you, or do you need your hand held in everything you do???

EDIT:

as noted above,

captain134
10-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by hattonlynch
who agrees?

all just a bunch of cookie cutter homes. no style, no substance, badly built. ahh....wish we had some damn custom homes here.

p.s - im prepared for some backlash here, mainly cause this is beyond but this is the honest to god truth. the homes here are the dumps.

at least not as bad as your thread making skills.

hattonlynch
10-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by HungryJack
I disagree.

There are a number of custom home builders in Calgary. The bigger home builders have specifically planned homes in order to keeps costs down, I'm sure. If you don't find a plan you like with a major builder, go to one of the many custom builders based in the city.

Is this really something that eve nneeds to be told to you, or do you need your hand held in everything you do???

classic response....

the homes here still suck.

go to toronto and/or vancouver, and compare the "custom homes" to the ones here in calgary....

and then come back to me and say the same thing you just told me. you don't know what you're talking about. you must be some born and bred redneck like the dudes here and haven't experienced life outside of the bubble that is calgary.

NEW CALGARY CONSTRUCTION SUCKS.

and that's the god damn truth. Just sayin'.

hattonlynch
10-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
WOW, props for an AWSOME thread..

SUBSCRIBED

spelt AWESOME wrong.

oh and your cars a piece.

5000Audi
10-21-2009, 07:47 PM

classic response....

go to toronto and/or vancouver, and compare the "custom homes" to the ones here in calgary....

and then come back to me and say the same thing you just told me. you don't know what you're talking about. you must be some born and bred redneck like the dudes here and haven't experienced life outside of the bubble that is calgary.

then move the fuck outta our city, dont like it then hit the road jack, and dontcha come back no more, no more, no more,no more , hit the road jack and dontcha come back no morrrrrrr rrrrr rrrre

captain134
10-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Calgary has the finest built and styled homes in the entire world. All of them even the older ones. They have won the award for best built and styled homes in the world for the passed 118 years. You OBVIOUSLY don't know what you are talking. yeeesh. redneck.

5000Audi
10-21-2009, 07:49 PM

spelt AWESOME wrong.

oh and your cars a piece.

my cars a piece? and how you know? by the picture copied from the Kaltire website from" see rims on my car" program..

Good one :thumbsup:

oh yeah and i dont give a shit what i spell correct or incorrect.. never stopped me in life

HungryJack
10-21-2009, 07:50 PM

classic response....

Originally from ONT, try again...

And if you love the "custom homes" in TO and Van, I'm sure you can afford to buy one in one of those places. I'm sure you'll be missed, but somehow life here will go on.

captain134
10-21-2009, 07:56 PM
did he get banned already or can he just not make an argument of the awards Calgary has won?

haha he's probably googling "worlds best built and styled homes award"

Redlyne_mr2
10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
who agrees?

There are tons of custom homes here. If you have the budget you can get anything you want built. You wouldnt believe some of the unbelievable custom homes in and around the city. There will always been cookie cutter homes for those on a budget regardless of what city you're in. I found the cookie cutter homes in Toronto to be extraordinarly bad compared to the ones here... ie fake brick, no automatic machines on the garage doors, super thin walls with cheap components, poor ashphalt driveways.

HungryJack
10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

There are tons of custom homes here. If you have the budget you can get anything you want built. You wouldnt believe some of the unbelievable custom homes in and around the city. There will always been cookie cutter homes for those on a budget regardless of what city you're in. I found the cookie cutter homes in Toronto to be extraordinarly bad compared to the ones here... ie fake brick, no automatic machines on the garage doors, super thin walls with cheap components, poor ashphalt driveways.

I have never understood what was up with the asphalt out there...

EVERYONE in Calgary has concrete.

kertejud2
10-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Calgary is indeed the only major North American city to have cookie-cutter housing neighborhoods. Never driving through the GTA or even the GVA have I seen kilometers of repetitiveness. Mississauga, Etobicoke and Woodbridge all have a unique quality not seen in Calgary neighborhoods.

89s1
10-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Having grown up in a city other than Calgary and having friends with the same exact house, or the same plan reversed. You can rest assured it happens everywhere.

It's called cost effectiveness. :whocares:

HungryJack
10-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Sure, maybe that part of the GTA, but ever been through the new developments out in ajax/whitby/pickering?

It's low budget sprawl , most are even attached or at best semi-deatached...

at least here we get detached houses if we want. And clearly you've never driven through older Calgary neighborhoods, IE capitol hill, mount pleasant, rosemont, etc.

The simple fact is that yes, newer housing can be a bit cookie cutter because thats builders build, and builders build it because that's what most people can afford.

How much simpler can that be made for you people??

narou
10-21-2009, 08:38 PM
I love people from Ontario, your all just a great bunch of really smart people who think you make the world go round. Thank you all for coming further west with hopes to further continue your life of being such an ignorant prick to everything that is not GTA. Thank you Thank you, you're far to kind! :rofl:

HungryJack
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by narou
I love people from Ontario, your all just a great bunch of really smart people who think you make the world go round. Thank you all for coming further west with hopes to further continue your life of being such an ignorant prick to everything that is not GTA. Thank you Thank you, you're far to kind! :rofl:

Who's this directed at?

narou
10-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Just general sarcasm against a few individuals I have come across before IRL, who seem to think Toronto/Ontario is the only place of relevant importance to this country. Spouting all kinds of bullshit because they left there great GTA life and miss it so dearly that they cant get over the fact there is more out there than Ontario. Fack because of some of the people I have met that have come from there or moved there; I can not think of any reason why I would want anything to do with that place.

Edit- If this city is so horrible why do people to continue to come here with there negativity and make it worse. We don't need that shit!

NickGT
10-21-2009, 08:49 PM
There are tons of custom homes with great skyline/mountain views. Bring $$$$$$$.

Rat Fink
10-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Criticull
10-21-2009, 09:08 PM

You're ignorant for calling Ontario the GTA.

SScott
10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
you ever see MIWYFSHOT's House? </thread>

JordanLotoski
10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
who agrees?

Can you please post pic of your palace. Id love to see it

narou
10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Your ignorant to not realize that im stating most of the people I come across only talk about the GTA. I did not say Ontario is the GTA. Where did I say "Ontario is the (General Toronto Area"?:dunno: Im sorry if maybe I don't share a duplicate set of your life experiences as my own. I am simply trying to establish what I have seen from people from the GTA who simply explain themselves as being from ONTARIO.

You think im ignorant you should say that from some certain individuals who talk as if GTA simply is Ontario. People have no problem going around saying Calgary this Calgary that. Well guess what stop playing the gfame with a tick up your ass because I am not from Calgary and personally love it here. I enjoyed it much more years ago when my family moved here though, before it became over run with people who only care where they came from not where they are, or going to be.

HungryJack
10-21-2009, 09:27 PM
lol wut

Redlyne_mr2
10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2
Calgary is indeed the only major North American city to have cookie-cutter housing neighborhoods. Never driving through the GTA or even the GVA have I seen kilometers of repetitiveness. Mississauga, Etobicoke and Woodbridge all have a unique quality not seen in Calgary neighborhoods.
Ontario was the first place I ever saw true cookie cutter homes.

deaftone
10-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Clearly you should be house hunting in Mount Royal.

barmanjay
10-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

Can you please post pic of your palace. Id love to see it

+1

JordanLotoski
10-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by SScott
you ever see MIWYFSHOT's House? &lt;/thread&gt;

Heres a few of my Cookie Cutter..excuse the mess as these pics were taken a few weeks after we moved in.

Fireplace in Kitchen
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9715/house3n.jpg

Fridges...(cabinets not completed at tht point)
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9377/house2jb.jpg

Great room
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6489/house8d.jpg

narou
10-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Nice place Jordon

drtoohotty1
10-21-2009, 10:13 PM

Heres a few of my Cookie Cutter..excuse the mess as these pics were taken a few weeks after we moved in.

Fireplace in Kitchen

Great room

:bigpimp:

89s1
10-21-2009, 10:31 PM

excuse the mess

You must not have posted one or two pics you had planned to.

Seanith
10-22-2009, 12:18 AM
I did not say Ontario is the GTA. Where did I say &quot;Ontario is the (General Toronto Area&quot;?:dunno: Im sorry if maybe I don't share a duplicate set of your life experiences as my own.

*cough* Greater Toronto Area *cough*

narou
10-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Same shit! Whats so great about it?

hattonlynch
10-22-2009, 12:25 AM

Fireplace in Kitchen

Great room

congrats you have a nice home, you are one of the few on this site guaranteed. i bet most live in areas like tuscany, rocky ridge. all cookie cutters.

FraserB
10-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Are you gonna post pics of your baller pad or not?:whipped:

hattonlynch
10-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Are you gonna post pics of your baller pad or not?:whipped:

lol, whats the point? you guys seem butt hurt. Plus i could just put up random pics of the inside of houses from the internet. what the hell would that prove? it would be moot to my argument anyway.

masoncgy
10-22-2009, 08:17 AM
"Cookie cutter" communities have been around for many years now... and they occur in all major cities.

That's how it is. Not really sure what kind of point you're trying to make, but it fails miserably.

Don't like a cookie cutter home? Move into a community built prior to the early to mid-90s when this became standard.

*yawn*

Bisklimpkit
10-22-2009, 08:36 AM
I live near Saskatoon and with the recent housing boom that happened, we now have cookie-cutter housing in some areas, as well. As mentioned earlier, you get a boom like that and every Tom, Dick and Harry figures they can become a home builder. The result is that you get some poor quality housing during a time when it's easy to make a buck. Just because a city has areas like that doesn't mean you can take a brush and paint the entire place as being all cookie-cutter, low quality garbage. Take a look at places built by Laratta homes, MckInley Masters, Bradford homes...to name but a few. Quality can be had, but as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.

Kloubek
10-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by 89s1

You must not have posted one or two pics you had planned to.

....exactly what I was thinking. Damn Jordan - I think you have a remote control out of place. Better take care of that....

Eleanor
10-22-2009, 08:52 AM
^ What are you guys talking about? It looks like the broom is just sitting against the counter in the kitchen!

That place is filthy :barf:

EDIT: Also OP, the reason for a lot of cookie cutter houses is that with the boom, they needed to throw up homes quick to meet demand, not enough time for a bunch of custom work.

deaftone
10-22-2009, 09:04 AM

lol, whats the point? you guys seem butt hurt. Plus i could just put up random pics of the inside of houses from the internet. what the hell would that prove? it would be moot to my argument anyway.

I want to see what your parents house looks like. Make sure you clean up your basment room before pics are taken. :whipped:

kaput
10-22-2009, 09:20 AM

thetransporter
10-22-2009, 10:06 AM
who agrees?

i am not why people would backlash. its the honest turth...

one of my main concerns
we export our premium wood and make our homes out of MDF and other fibre boards.

Euro838
10-22-2009, 10:15 AM
One observation I think I can make about Calgary homes is that there seems to be less emphasis on the outside of a house (talking about the cookie cutter, not custom designed baller homes).

Builders here will obviously do the bare minimum for architectural controls and the architectural controls here are not as elaborate as some other cities. For obvious cost reasons and that many people here do not care what the outside of their house looks like and would rather invest more money on the interior for due reason.

So with this type of prairie mentality, we get hattonlynch's "Crap Cookie cutter" homes.

Calgary does not have the population or the diverse culture to demand stylish home exteriors to really differentiate houses from each other.

almerick
10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Amazing house Jordan :eek:

Originally posted by Kloubek

....exactly what I was thinking. Damn Jordan - I think you have a remote control out of place. Better take care of that....

looks like two remotes :rofl:

Mar
10-22-2009, 10:22 AM
I've found in Calgary you can only pick one of these 2:
1. Nice neighbourhood where all the houses are the same.
2. Bad neighbourhood where all the houses are unique.

Euro838
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice place Jordan but I don't think he paid "Cookie cutter" prices for his design and layout!

Also, there is no way there would be half of those items offered in a home builders line up!

From what I can see, most of those items were probably client request or from a pro interior designer not with the builder.

This isn't rocket-economics here, low cost and high volume.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I've seen Jordan's house in person, and it's pretty impressive and not cookie cutter in any way.
But honestly, there are lots of unique homes in Calgary, in lots of different locations.

Originally posted by Mar
1. Nice neighborhood where all the houses are the same.
2. Bad neighborhood where all the houses are unique. If by bad neighborhood, you mean something within 10 kms of the downtown, then yes.
Myself, I'd prefer to live inner city, in a neighborhood with a mix of older homes and infills instead of Tuscany or Bridlewood where the homes are more similar.

This is the same issue that they have in EVER MAJOR CITY. The areas that are developed quickly for mass appeal tend to be very homogenous, and with few true custom touches. The older areas that are redeveloped with baller homes have the high end shit.

masoncgy
10-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Mar
1. Nice neighbourhood where all the houses are the same.
2. Bad neighbourhood where all the houses are unique.

Rosemont, St. Andrews Heights, Briar Hill, etc... these are "bad" neighborhoods?

...and those are just a small sample of what's out there.

If you don't like stale/bland, cookie-cutter communities, avoid places like Hidden Valley, Country Hills, Millrise, etc. You know, the place where you can pick whatever color exterior you want, as long as it's white vinyl with some kind of colored trim... ;)

ApexDrift
10-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Rosemont, St. Andrews Heights, Briar Hill, etc... these are &quot;bad&quot; neighborhoods?

...and those are just a small sample of what's out there.

If you don't like stale/bland, cookie-cutter communities, avoid places like Hidden Valley, Country Hills, Millrise, etc. You know, the place where you can pick whatever color exterior you want, as long as it's white vinyl with some kind of colored trim... ;)

you can add pump hill, cresent, and mount royal to those "bad" neighborhoods, if OP doesnt like the housing market here then he should go back to where ever he came from and live in his palace.

im very tired of people coming to calgary and saying it sucks and blah blah blah, well go home then!

FiveFreshFish
10-22-2009, 12:29 PM
i bet most live in areas like tuscany, rocky ridge. all cookie cutters.

The developers spec out narrow lots that don't give much for design freedom. This forces practically every new house with an attached garage to situate it in the front. You need at least 65 ft width for a decent house with a side attached double garage, and you won't get that except in estate neighborhoods.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Calgary,+AB&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=62.443704,89.472656&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta,+Canada&ll=51.128495,-114.238385&spn=0.001539,0.00273&t=h&z=19

ExtraSlow
10-22-2009, 12:49 PM
The lack of back alleys in these areas forces the front garage, which imo, looks awful.

Masked Bandit
10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
The lack of back alleys in these areas forces the front garage, which imo, looks awful.

This is probably the biggest issue.

"Welcome to my garage, oh ya, there's a house back there too somewhere".

I hate it but if you want to live in a family friendly area there isn't much choice.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2009, 01:23 PM
what's "family freindly" about it?

mazdavirgin
10-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I hate it but if you want to live in a family friendly area there isn't much choice.

Brentwood, Dalhousie, etc...? All those areas have garages.

540i
10-22-2009, 02:37 PM
I moved here from Toronto and I think Calgary has some amazing properties.

I lived on King St. W in Toronto and the properties and life style is unbelievable! What Toronto has that Calgary doesn't is the culture, density and the age. I lived in Calgary for about 4 years and own properties in the inner city (very thankful that I did when I did). There is some spectacular properties and hidden gems here for sure! What Calgary has over any city out East is the mountains and NEW SCHOOL money - with out a doubt!!

In my opinion, strong (recession proof) properties are usually located inner city .....may it be Elbow, Brittannia or Mount Royal - Calgary, inner city - Vancouver, Bridal Path or High Park- Toronto, New York - Manhattan, etc.

In terms of Cookie cutter houses, they exist in almost every cities. I personally don't believe they are specific to Calgary but are specific to the suburbian culture all over North America.

Consumers are purchasing a lifestyle, developers are selling homes to profit and City municipalities are approving it - done.

At the end of the day, no matter the city...it's all about how much money you got. I believe that there are great properties in every city including Calgary. To me, any property with a view to water, city, mountain is a winner - location is key.

Ryan

barmanjay
10-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 540i
In my opinion, strong (recession proof) properties are usually located inner city .....may it be Elbow, Brittannia or Mount Royal - Calgary, inner city - Vancouver, Bridal Path or High Park- Toronto, New York - Manhattan, etc.

In terms of Cookie cutter houses, they exist in almost every cities. I personally don't believe they are specific to Calgary but are specific to the suburbian culture all over North America.

Consumers are purchasing a lifestyle, developers are selling homes to profit and City municipalities are approving it - done.

At the end of the day, no matter the city...it's all about how much money you got. I believe that there are great properties in every city including Calgary. To me, any property with a view to water, city, mountain is a winner - location is key.

Ryan

:thumbsup:

NickGT
10-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Back alleys often end up having vandalism/theft issues/poor maintenance/junk collectors. No thanks. They are more common in older areas and in every new community in the cookie cutter sections. No offense meant to those who love them or prefer them.

HungryJack
10-22-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't mind my back alley as I have room (and plans) for a triple garage back there.

Now I just need to be able to afford it, lol.

FiveFreshFish
10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

This is probably the biggest issue.

"Welcome to my garage, oh ya, there's a house back there too somewhere".

Even recently, there were some developers that offered wide lots where side front garages were possible. I considered buying this house in '96 when it was brand new.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Calgary,+AB&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=62.443704,89.472656&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=51.130729,-114.198649&panoid=rzHsQmyF-S_ZvBCxDoLLDw&cbp=12,288.59,,0,5&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta,+Canada&ll=51.130003,-114.200435&spn=0.011944,0.021844&z=16

max_boost
10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I live in Crescent Heights. Inner-city is where it's at. I actually prefer the double attach garage. I hate walking those 10 steps to the garage in the back. I would love to have the 65' wide lot like FFF posted but I don't have 1.5million to spend.

You want something different? Bring the $$$

Tik-Tok
10-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't mind my back alley as I have room (and plans) for a triple garage back there.

Now I just need to be able to afford it, lol.

This... but I already have the triple :D (with more than enough room for two more bays if I wanted to get rid of my rv parking/dogrun)

What is considered inner city in Calgary these days? Within 10km from downtown?

HungryJack
10-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

This... but I already have the triple :D (with more than enough room for two more bays if I wanted to get rid of my rv parking/dogrun)

Damn, son.

Where the hell do you live???

ExtraSlow
10-23-2009, 07:58 AM

Damn, son.

and how much do you charge for rent. I want in on this.

Masked Bandit
10-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Even recently, there were some developers that offered wide lots where side front garages were possible. I considered buying this house in '96 when it was brand new.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Calgary,+AB&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=62.443704,89.472656&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=51.130729,-114.198649&amp;panoid=rzHsQmyF-S_ZvBCxDoLLDw&amp;cbp=12,288.59,,0,5&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta,+Canada&amp;ll=51.130003,-114.200435&amp;spn=0.011944,0.021844&amp;z=16

Now see that's the type of set up I would like to be in. The problem is that it's an estate area and the number of people that can afford that is quite small. If you've ever been out to Langdon, the "garage on the side" of the house is the common way to do it because the lots are all huge.

When we built both of our houses I would gladly have paid an extra $10,000 - $20,000 for another 10 - 15 ft of space on the side of the yare so I could put the garage on the side. And our lot is 49 ft wide as it is which is pretty big for a newer area.

Tik-Tok
10-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Damn, son.

A cheap cookie cutter 50's neighborhood, with nice wide lots and back alleys. A neighhbor down the street (actually the ex-owner of my house) HAS the 5 bay garage

His neighbor has a 3 bay, but is expanding the whole thing to be double deep, so it'll be a 6 bay garage. Works well for him because his property is on a large enough slope, that he can walk right out of his house, and onto the roof of his massive garage, so he still has a back "yard".

Then down the street from them is a property that's almost half an acre, and is only tax assessed at $430g :nut:

My neighborhood is highly overlooked, most people don't even know it's there (and only 8 km from dead center of downtown, and 1km from Chinook)

sputnik
10-23-2009, 09:09 AM
My neighborhood is highly overlooked, most people don't even know it's there (and only 8 km from dead center of downtown, and 1km from Chinook)

Haysboro?

barmanjay
10-23-2009, 11:08 AM

and how much do you charge for rent. I want in on this.

Tik tok is currently out of the country touring the asias and has commissioned me to rent out his property for 1 year.

I will pm you an address for you to send a money order for first month and last month rent. At that point I will send yuou the keys. I cannot meet you in the property as I am in toronto

[/nigerian spam]

barmanjay
10-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Haysboro?

fairview

masoncgy
10-23-2009, 12:50 PM

I agree. Fairview is highly overlooked. It's so close to everything, and it's super quiet with a low crime rate. Lots of great properties in there, big lots, character homes!

I love it. I could have bought in a Fairview a few years back for cheap, prior to the price run up and the development of Deerfoot Meadows... still kicking myself for not doing it!

Tik-Tok
10-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

I agree. Fairview is highly overlooked. It's so close to everything, and it's super quiet with a low crime rate. Lots of great properties in there, big lots, character homes!

I love it. I could have bought in a Fairview a few years back for cheap, prior to the price run up and the development of Deerfoot Meadows... still kicking myself for not doing it!

It still is cheap (comparatively), as long as you have the extra money to update.

The biggest problems with Fairview is that it's FULL of original owners from the 50's. They are obviously all retired and limited income now, so most houses are about 20-30 years out of date (you should have seen my basement before I reno'd... :barf: ).

Location is awesome though, so close to everything (south), Deerfoot access is right there (I have literally 5 traffic lights between myself and work, the airport), and it's really quiet, except when the wind is strong enough from the west, then you get Mcleod trail noise.

kertejud2
10-23-2009, 04:23 PM

That's tough to say. If I were to make a quick guess I'd say the neighborhoods Western Canada primarily draws from. IIRC that's south of the Bow River (though neighborhoods adjacent to the Bow would count), East of 14th St, West of Deerfoot, and 50th Ave S ish (I think Brittania and Elboya are the last neighborhoods south on Elbow). Basically the Calgary Centre federal riding anyway.

I don't know what you'd call all the neighborhoods between that relatively small inner city and all the new devellopments though. The sort of inner city but nowhere near the outskirts ("Thesooner-it-bun-eat-out" if we want to do that cool New York name shortening thing. Isn't as catchy as Soho or Tribeca but give it time).

ExtraSlow
10-23-2009, 04:39 PM
On the North side, I'd say anything south of 16th ave is inner city.
East and west, 14th street and Deerfoot are good boundaries.
I'm just ouside that now, and it's pretty fast to get around.

masoncgy
10-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Calgary's Inner City actually expands quite a ways...

McKnight/John Laurie Blvd to the North
Crowchild Tr to the West
Deerfoot Tr to the East
Glenmore Trail to the South

Everything inside of that circle is considered 'Inner City.'

HungryJack
10-23-2009, 07:03 PM
According to whom?

deaftone
10-23-2009, 08:45 PM
I found a place for the OP. It is owned by a beyonder (not going to mention names) but I wonder if he will give you a deal?

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8802910

FiveFreshFish
10-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Calgary,+AB&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=62.443704,89.472656&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=51.130729,-114.198649&amp;panoid=rzHsQmyF-S_ZvBCxDoLLDw&amp;cbp=12,288.59,,0,5&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta,+Canada&amp;ll=51.130003,-114.200435&amp;spn=0.011944,0.021844&amp;z=16

Originally posted by max_boost
I would love to have the 65' wide lot like FFF posted but I don't have 1.5million to spend.

Out of curiosity, I dug through my files and found the 1996 lot listing for that area. That lot was only $69,900 and the total cost of the house including lot in was under $300k. :eek:

2EFNFAST
10-24-2009, 01:41 AM

Some of those monster houses along/in elbow drive?

hattonlynch
10-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by deaftone
I found a place for the OP. It is owned by a beyonder (not going to mention names) but I wonder if he will give you a deal?

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8802910

cool story bro

89s1
10-25-2009, 12:24 PM

cool story bro

Cool thread bro :rolleyes: :rolleyes: