Seks
10-21-2009, 08:54 PM
From Jan 2005 to Aug 2007, I was a permanent FT salaried employee
(with benefits and the whole junk) with a company. I handed in my
resignation towards end of Aug 2007 because I went back to school FT
from Sept 2007 to Apr 2008. I did not work at all during those time
frame.

I returned to work for the same company from June 2008 up until very
recently (got laid off). I was on an hourly rate with no benefits.

June 2008-Dec 2008: worked only (and it was pretty much FT since I
wasn't back in school yet).
Jan 2009-Apr 2009: school FT but went into work whenever I can.
May 2009-Aug 2009: no school but went into work which was pretty much
FT.
Sept 2009-very recently: school FT but went into work whenever I can.

Would I be eligible for EI even though I am at school FT currently?
I've checked:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/regular.shtml#eligible

...but can't seem to find anything that has to do with being enrolled
in school.

dj_honda
10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/training.shtml

i dont think you can seeing as you are not available to work, since you are enrolled in school. if you need help though, try applying for govt student loans.

sputnik
10-21-2009, 09:33 PM
- Were you paying EI while you worked?

- Did you work 600 hours in the last 12 months?

SOAB
10-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

doesn't matter. if he is enrolled in full time school, that means he's not ready to work every day. that means no EI benefits.

hattonlynch
10-22-2009, 12:38 AM
you won't get it, sorry bud. already tried, since you're in school they won't let you get EI benefits. i really wish this wasn't the case, it would be seriously awesome to get payed while going to school. even if it was like 400-500 a month. i wouldn't work, maybe the odd cash job but i could live off of that easily.

Jim Rome99
10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
What kind of school are you in? If you're doing an apprenticeship then you may be eligible for EI benefits.

I've always wondered about this. What is you got laid off, went to school, collected EI, and just never filed the tax form the school gives you? Would the government still know?

FiveFreshFish
10-27-2009, 02:09 AM
FYI maximum EI payout is $447 gross per week with $46 tax deducted, so every two weeks you get a cheque for $802.

Kobe
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I think its more like 910hours in the year.. Then 700 the second time around

And you are only eligable for it if your have 10hours or under of school work each week this includes classes and homework...

Lagerstatten.ca
11-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Being recently on EI I went to go talk to a Service Canada rep and he told me about the Skills Improvemet Program (SIP).

You can apply to go to school at any post-secondary institution and apply for SIP funding (they pay for your schooling). If you get approved for SIP funding the rep also explained that you can also qualify for EI while still in school. They just lump it together with your SIP funding (schooling + living cost).

But the last I heard SIP funding for the year has run out and they will not be taking applicants until later this year for the April 2010-March 2011 year.

Best thing to do is just call Service Canada and talk to someone. What's the worst that could happen?

Good luck though!