PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a shop or someone that knows what they are doing

XxBUCKxX
10-21-2009, 11:00 PM
So I have finally broken down and I am going to have to bring my car to a shop I can't figure out what's going on with it but I have no idea where to bring it that I can trust do you guys know of anywhere good that I could drop it off at this point I'm ready to go to the dealership but will they even work on jdm mr2 any help would be awesome guys

XxBUCKxX
10-21-2009, 11:21 PM
And that's what I am asking if anyone knows a shop that would lol don't mean to sound like a douche

RickDaTuner
10-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

No a dealership can not work on your JDM car. North American dealerships most of the time do not carry Japenese tools, thus they will be unable to properly work on your car. You should try a company that specializes in JDM cars and owns the tools to do the job correctly.

Japanese tools?

the only thing different about USDM and JDM cars when talking about repairs is their scan tool interface, NA has OBII, Asia has Proprietory scan equipment.

maybe i'm wrong anyone care to add to the statement

mr2mike
10-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Nope, special Japanese tools... never heard such an excuse not to work on a jdm car.

For the MR2 to read the ecu, it's ODB1 and requires a very very special paperclip formed and molded then inserted by a japanese man to read the codes.

Explain what exactly is wrong with your car and we can most likely judge what's wrong. I'm pretty versed in the MR2 and so are a few others around this site.

J-MR2
10-22-2009, 05:35 PM
what is your car doing?

inline6turbo
10-22-2009, 05:46 PM
On a serious note, when I was having troubles with my MR2 I tried going to several dealerships including Crowfoot Toyota and Heninger, neither would even allow it into the shop. Very unfortunate but they said once the cars has a work order there it's on their head to make sure it's fixed and didn't want the hassle of having to import JDM specific parts and stuff. I'd try calling around a couple aftermarket shops in the city and see if they can help.

Good luck

Kardon
10-22-2009, 06:08 PM
I looked into bringing my JDM S14 to fishcreek, because on there parts/service section they advertise themselves as JDM experts. They said they can't do any work to it because its JDM, but they can order me parts. The dealership on 32nd ave DID say they would work on it, no problems. They said fishcreek is a joke, and that they will do anything I need them to.

/nissan discussion

From my personal experiences I'd suggest RCTS here in calgary, not the cheapest, but they do amazing work and definitely are knowledgeable with lots of japanese cars. Nothing they couldn't fix on my previous Aristo, and same for my S14.

cjay^
10-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Kardon
I looked into bringing my JDM S14 to fishcreek, because on there parts/service section they advertise themselves as JDM experts. They said they can't do any work to it because its JDM, but they can order me parts. The dealership on 32nd ave DID say they would work on it, no problems. They said fishcreek is a joke, and that they will do anything I need them to.

/nissan discussion

From my personal experiences I'd suggest RCTS here in calgary, not the cheapest, but they do amazing work and definitely are knowledgeable with lots of japanese cars. Nothing they couldn't fix on my previous Aristo, and same for my S14.

Hmm, I called fish creek last year to get my PS leak fixed and they told me no Nissan dealer in calgary will touch a JDM car because their technicians aren't trained to work with the different equiptment that came in JDM cars.

Redlyne_mr2
10-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Whats up with your car man.

JZS_147
10-23-2009, 01:18 AM
bring it to RCTS, we do a ton of MR2 stuff. Our shop foreman has been a Toyota Technician for over 30 years, and he has his Toyota master technician certification.

We've done a ton of builds on MR2's, both US and JDM. I'm sure most people on here know of our work with Supra's and BMW's as well.

mr2mike
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
No response into why the car isn't working right....?

mr2mike
11-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Sent you a PM