PDA

View Full Version : Temp Insurance in AB

h5606
10-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi,
I have a vehicle at the mechanic in Calgary, and I need to get it to my residence near Calgary. It will drive on its own, but it is neither insured or registered. It doesn't need to be registered for longer than a day or so, as it will not be on any public roads after it is transported from the mechanic. Does anyone know where I can get temp insurance and registery in Calgary?

Sorry if this has been asked before, the only info I could find was for BC.

Thanks.

tom_9109
10-22-2009, 11:43 AM
You'll have to call an insurance agent and get insurance and the use that to get an 'in transit' permit in leu of registration. If you already have an alberta policy your agent should be able to give you 1 or two days insurance for next to nothing or even free.

People will tell you that you can use your current AB insurance and a plate of another vehicle. There are ways to make this legal but its not worth the hassle and risk of expense.

Zero102
10-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
You'll have to call an insurance agent and get insurance and the use that to get an 'in transit' permit in leu of registration. If you already have an alberta policy your agent should be able to give you 1 or two days insurance for next to nothing or even free.

People will tell you that you can use your current AB insurance and a plate of another vehicle. There are ways to make this legal but its not worth the hassle and risk of expense.

^^^
EXACTLY this :thumbsup:

Most insurance companies will give you temporary slips for free, take one to a registry, get an in-transit permit for the trip (good for a SINGLE TRIP ONLY) and you are set. Cost is ~$25 for the entire thing, way cheaper than towing.

Masked Bandit
10-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

^^^
EXACTLY this :thumbsup:

Most insurance companies will give you temporary slips for free, take one to a registry, get an in-transit permit for the trip (good for a SINGLE TRIP ONLY) and you are set. Cost is ~$25 for the entire thing, way cheaper than towing.

This is assuming you ALREADY have a policy in place with that company. If the OP does not have an existing auto policy anywhere in Alberta he's going to have a tough time finding a broker that will actually take the time to write a one day policy.

To the OP, call a tow truck.