PDA

View Full Version : Mfg. to stock parts for new cars...

4DoorGTZ
10-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Wanted to ask the beyond community if anyone has any information on what I believe is a general consensus if not a law. Auto manufacturers are responsible to provide parts for the cars they make for (8? 10?) years. I've been searching but its like the dang commercial, search overload and nothing I find is relevent.

I've currently waited 4mo. and still no signs of the parts needed. Its a warranty job so they will not get a part from the wrecker. Car is an '05 with 23k km, its my summer car and I've just lost 1 entire summer of driving it. All that the local dealer can tell me is "its on a rush order, there's nothing more we can do" But I have contacted a dealer in the states that I deal with for cheaper genuine GM parts... He has a customer waiting for the same part an entire month longer then me. He did his research and contacted the people at the parts warehouse and the buyers who source such parts from other suppliers. Best he could tell me is that the supplier GM uses for this (Power Steering Rack) is missing one or multiple parts for the assembly from one or more of their suppliers. I'm pretty sure a lot of this crap has to do with the GM bancruptcy and suppliers going out of business.

Shouldnt there be some kind of time limit? Or can they hang on to the car for months leading to who knows a year? Before My situation became long and drawn out a lot attendent showed me a car parked a few down from my own, told me the story. Car was a '98 needed an ECU, GM didnt make it anymore but it took them months to find out, basicaly the owner had to come and pick up a dead car.

2EFNFAST
10-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Even if there is, what are you going to do? Sue GM?

HHURICANE1
10-23-2009, 10:19 AM
The biggest problem at the moment, and it is affecting ALL the manufacturers, is that a lot of the parts suppliers are bankrupt or nearly so. The whole bankruptcy thing has totally screw up the whole parts supply chain. The manufacturers are scrambling to find new sources for the parts but it takes time for suppliers to be found, tolling to be transferred or made from scratch, the parts to be built and then distributed to the warehouses and then the dealers. It doesn't make any difference how old the car is if there isn't anyone to make the parts. It's a piss of not only to the customer but also for the parts people and the service departments who get yelled at daily for something that is totally out of their control. Until the supply chain gets cleaned up there are going to be wide spread shortages on many parts. I know it's hard but try to be patient.

cam_wmh
10-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Not surprising to find gaps in logistics within a company that has just filed bankruptcy. Suppliers are in the same mess.

on a side-note: I think I'm going to go ahead, and continue not to purchase from a company that is on the fringe of filing chapter 11. My dad was a GM man for 20+ yrs, and 10+ vehicles exclusively. They royally fucked him. I saw this and will probably never buy a domestic.