PDA

View Full Version : Shell - NO GAS!

scat19
10-23-2009, 12:37 PM
NE/NW no gas... I had to drive to Country Hills location and they said they'd be out within the hour...

Perfect for before the weekend...

Team_Mclaren
10-23-2009, 12:42 PM
use other brand? I find that Esso has better 91 than shell....:dunno:

cityhunter2501
10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
tried to fill up shell 91 up by COP, 64th ave centre st, mcknight since sunday.
whats going on with shell?

IntegraG2
10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

i find its the other way around. Ive been using Esso for like 8 years before trying out the 91 at Shell....

maybe its all in my head. haha.

Thats crazy the north is out of shell gas. I just filled up last night on 16th avenue and deerfoot

GQBalla
10-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Shiet

hopefully i can get some gas today

Tik-Tok
10-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I was about to post the same thing. I went to 5 Shells around my area, and 3 were out altogether, one only had regular, and one was fully stocked.

I asked the manager of the fully stocked one what was going on, and he said it was a planned plant shutdown, and that shell had stocked up for the next 2 weeks, but only for 35% of the stations in Calgary.

So for the next two weeks, 65% of the Calgary Shells will be out of fuel.

TurboD
10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Imagine the chaos if a vast majority of the city pumps ran out and left large numbers of vehicles stranded and out of gas lined up clogging the streets.

Mibz
10-23-2009, 01:30 PM
$10 says Flying J will be stocked up.

J@Tuner
10-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Shell on Macleod and 58th is dry as well as Co-op on Macleod and 98th

n1zm0
10-23-2009, 01:37 PM
prolonged maintenance on the refinery up north i heard from the attendant, they were saying something about trying to get gas from other provinces and the US but obviously that hasnt happened, i use a credit card with shell rewards so i'm kinda bummed, have had to fill up at petro twice now since this has happened, a good 2 weeks or so now.

JZS_147
10-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Husky is never out of gas. :)

max_boost
10-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Riverbend Shell is never out!

almerick
10-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Argh, what a bad time to need to fill up on gas, maybe I'll just get Co-op gas in Hamptons?

bwling
10-23-2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Shell+rationing+gasoline+after+refinery+work+extended/2130695/story.html

Shell rationing gasoline after refinery work extended

A gasoline shortage in Alberta promises to spill into the rest of Western Canada as Shell Canada's Scotford refinery takes longer than expected to ramp up, a spokesman said Wednesday.

Extra supplies used to cover reduced volumes from planned maintenance started in early September were depleted after the turnaround and startup operations were extended, said Jeff Gabert.

The longer-than-expected outage forced Shell to ration volumes of gasoline and diesel to retail outlets across the province.

"Right now we are seeing it in Alberta; however, there is the possibility that Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia could be affected," Gabert told the Herald.

"We had secured sufficient fuel to cover that period, but the maintenance activity took longer than expected," he added. "Combined with tight industry supply in the region, it's resulted in a temporary shortage of gasoline for us."

Albertans will continue to see shutdown pumps and closed retail Shell stations as the corporation still is rationing supplies, although it is seeking supplies from the rest of Canada and the United States, he said.

Gabert could not comment on when operations at the 98,000-barrel-per day-refinery will be back to normal, nor on how many retail stations in Alberta will be affected.

However, analysts suggest price jumps at the pump this week were more due to stronger crude oil prices than supply constraints.

Crude oil prices spiked Wednesday to $82 US per barrel in New York on news gasoline stocks in the United States fell more than expected. Oil for December delivery settled up$2.25 US per barrel at $81.37 Wednesday.

Although gasoline supplies in Alberta have dropped due to the Shell outage, wholesale prices for fuel were competitive with those across Canada, at about 61 cents per litre, said Cathy Hay, with MJ Ervin and Associates.

"Our wholesale prices in Western Canada are the same as they are in the East," Hay said, "which suggests to me that if there is a shortage in gasoline, it has not had an impact on wholesale prices nor retail prices."

Hay noted prices could be influenced if the Shell outage was extended further, or if another refinery was compromised. The province's landlocked position makes Alberta more vulnerable to shortages than Ontario, for example, which has increased access to imports.

Last fall, prices in Western Canada rose when a series of unplanned outages at Alberta's three main refineries reduced gasoline and diesel output.

On Wednesday, Imperial Oil said its Strathcona refinery outside of Edmonton was operating normally. The refinery is the largest in the province, with the capacity to process 187,000 barrels of oil per day.

Second in size is Suncor's 135,000-barrel-per-day Edmonton refinery, which Petro-Canada converted to process oilsands feedstock before merging with Suncor this year. In July, high winds and an electrical storm knocked power out to the refinery, damaging a major gasoline processing unit.

The corporation was forced to temporarily ration fuel supplies to retail and wholesale outlets. Imperial Oil's refinery also suffered a power outage but did not report supply shortages.

Thaco
10-23-2009, 01:50 PM
i wonder if that is why the gas spiked 10 cents over night a few days ago.

atgilchrist
10-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Shell on 14th St and 13th Ave SW has been out for over a week.

Scope951
10-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Stadium off of 16th is out as well.

Sentry
10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147
And they sell delicious 94! :love:

Mibz
10-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

And they sell delicious 94! :love: So everybody with cars tuned for 87 can spend more money and get less mileage? Yay!

Tik-Tok
10-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
So everybody with cars tuned for 87 can spend more money and get less mileage? Yay!

AND less power :poosie:

Sentry
10-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Who tunes a boosted car for 87.

Grandmas, that's who.

Xtrema
10-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
i wonder if that is why the gas spiked 10 cents over night a few days ago.

No.

We still have the cheapest gas in the country.

The fact is the refineries was over stress during the oil boom. Taking extra time to make sure they are properly maintained is inevitable.

freshprince1
10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Thank good ness for the Shell Scotford shutdown. They had to install our equipment at some point! Sorry guys.

(they're clients)

SilverGS
10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Shell on Bow Trail out as well. Filled up 94 at the Husky 50 meters away instead :)

Swank
10-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Shell has been intermittently out of all or one type of gas for months now, ever since I stopped going to Petro because one of their refineries caused them to have a shortage. In fact I think last weekend I went to 3 Shells before going to a gas station that sold gas.

bwling
10-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Creekside Shell only has 87 left.

old&slow
10-24-2009, 10:09 AM
I think we should all just stop using Shell Period!

bourge73
10-24-2009, 10:12 AM
NW Country Hills Shell is out of Silver and V... WTF, bronze only....

Sal0
10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

No.

We still have the cheapest gas in the country.

The fact is the refineries was over stress during the oil boom. Taking extra time to make sure they are properly maintained is inevitable.

No we don't really have the cheapest gas in the country. I was just in Ontario and gas was cheaper than it was out here. Also, when I drove across to the states gas was in the 60's.
edit:
I just checked some websites, and it does seem like gas is a lot cheaper out here. It's still to bad we can't enjoy the prices that some of the states receive.

narou
10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Co-op gas comes from Saskatchewan and is the same formula as Shell. I can not foresee any stations running out of all Grades for an extended period of time.

streethondas
10-24-2009, 10:37 AM
^ Jason supporting coop lol :nut:

schocker
10-24-2009, 10:39 AM
My friend was running out yesterday so was like phew, lets just go to the one at varsity and they had signs on their pumps they were out :rofl:

I have been driving shell for a few tanks now though and thought I would see improved mileage over coop, but I have not, time to go back so I can get all my little coupons.:confused:

streethondas
10-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Haha coop gas is the shit man,but I never see any gtr sklines or other rhd that use premium gas :werd: did see a lambo fill up there and lots of BMW'S

I get my 300zx, 330ci and civic filled up with premium there and it gives really good km (300zx does 300 off a tank:facepalm: )

schocker
10-24-2009, 11:15 AM
i do see exotics often filling up there but just had to test it out, I am still getting around the same mileage, about 220-240mi per tank with my excellent 16.9 mpg, so the vpower really makes no difference.

89s1
10-24-2009, 11:18 AM

They ran out this summer.

Twice. :dunno:

KRZY403
10-24-2009, 12:44 PM
anyone know which shell in the city still has v power?

5000Audi
10-24-2009, 12:53 PM
i fully support co-op gas and deisel. i always fill up there.. and the coop deisel gives my work truck better fuel economy. so ill stick with them.

flipstah
10-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
i fully support co-op gas and deisel. i always fill up there.. and the coop deisel gives my work truck better fuel economy. so ill stick with them.

:werd:

Is that why the price went up to 0.92 all of a sudden? It was 0.86 for majority of October.

Shlade
10-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by scat19
NE/NW no gas... I had to drive to Country Hills location and they said they'd be out within the hour...

Perfect for before the weekend...

ohhhh noesss! you cant put enriched gas into your super bmw!
:whipped:

1-Bar
10-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by KRZY403
anyone know which shell in the city still has v power?

I filled up at 16th and deerfoot location 2 nights ago.....I dunno about now though....

speeed
10-24-2009, 09:17 PM
bronze only at creekside shell

FiveFreshFish
10-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by speeed
bronze only at creekside shell

Same at 64 Ave and Centre St N as of this morning.

bourge73
10-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Shell NW Country Hills location completely out of gas...ballz

RX_EVOLV
10-25-2009, 11:00 AM
the two shells by my place ( in Edmonton) had been out for gas for > a week now.

JZS_147
10-26-2009, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by 89s1

They ran out this summer.

Twice. :dunno:

i frequent Mcleod and 42nd, and the Sundance Huskies, i've never seen either out of gas.

narou
10-26-2009, 01:32 AM
V-Power:facepalm: Bwahahahaha

I can't believe they market that shit, im not sure if they are advertising that it has more nitrogen or if they are advertising that it now has nitrogen enrichment. But wtf all competitors also have additives and detergents in their fuel.

KRZY403
10-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by narou

I can't believe they market that shit, im not sure if they are advertising that it has more nitrogen or if they are advertising that it now has nitrogen enrichment. But wtf all competitors also have additives and detergents in their fuel.

I've been using Petro gas only for a year and half and once I switched over to shell I've gotten better gas mileage. I've never filled up at Petro ever since.. until yesterday due to the shortage of shell gas in the city

mo_money2supe
10-26-2009, 02:02 AM
i frequent Mcleod and 42nd, and the Sundance Huskies, i've never seen either out of gas.

If you meant BLACKFOOT & 42nd instead, I tried going there yesterday and they only had bronze. Went to the one on Macleod at Chinook and they still had all 3 left though. :thumbsup:

infected
10-26-2009, 02:52 AM
Flying J's had all 3 tonight.

redline
10-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Is that why the price went up to 0.92 all of a sudden? It was 0.86 for majority of October.

no the price of oil went up $10\barrel in the last couple of weeks

JZS_147
10-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

If you meant BLACKFOOT & 42nd instead, I tried going there yesterday and they only had bronze. Went to the one on Macleod at Chinook and they still had all 3 left though. :thumbsup:

no.... i'm talking about MCLEOD AND 42nd. read my whole post, I'm talking about Husky, NOT Shell.

mmmmm 94 octane:love:

mo_money2supe
10-26-2009, 03:35 PM

no.... i'm talking about MCLEOD AND 42nd. read my whole post, I'm talking about Husky, NOT Shell.

mmmmm 94 octane:love:

Whoops! Sorry, my bad. Replied too late at night I guess.

Xtrema
10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by narou

I think V-Power has the most mileage/L than any other gasoline on the market.

I also get the best mileage with V-Power.

As for marketing, PetroCan got that Winter gas stuff for years. The only people gave up on marketing gas is Esso.

FiveFreshFish
10-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The only people gave up on marketing gas is Esso.

Didn't they market their 91 octane gas as 92, way back about 6 to 8 years ago?

SRT10Killer
10-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
my rotary ran like shit when I put esso 91 in there, switched to 91 shell and back to normal

Xtrema
10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Didn't they market their 91 octane gas as 92, way back about 6 to 8 years ago?

Yeah but have you seen any Esso advertising these couple of year on any medias?

I think only Shell is still actively marketing their gas on TV. Everyone else stopped. Heck I have not seen any winter gas ad from PetroCan or ethanol gas ad from Husky in a long time.

I think businesses are slowly realizing there is no point in advertising gas. Everyone needs it and 90% of time quality doesn't influence buying habits.

I love myself some Shell V-Power but 9/10 time I just drop by neighborhood Superstore for crappy gas just because it's 2 blocks away on my way home.

scat19
10-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Same at 64 Ave and Centre St N as of this morning.

That's the one I left to go to Country Hills... Only Bronze.

Originally posted by Shlade

ohhhh noesss! you cant put enriched gas into your super bmw!
:whipped:

:rolleyes: Ok Mr.Hemi.

Boostn
10-31-2009, 03:55 PM
So what's the latest update, is shell still having gas shortage issues? I couldn't find any gold V-power last week at any of the stations in the NW.

nrt_vw
10-31-2009, 04:15 PM
at my work we fill the cars up with shell and just about every week if they are not out of all gas they are out of everything but bronze. no matter what location you go to.

jdm_eg6
10-31-2009, 04:40 PM
meh, oh well Husky is always open.. and has 94 ;)..

Also, where is this numerical evidence proving Shell over Esso grade, and vise versa.. I feel like im always hearing people say someone else's 91 OCT is better than another's 91 OCT..

I assumed Octane rating was a SAE value for the purity of fuel being dispensed. So if someones 91 is not 'good' then it cannot be sold/classified as 91 octane.. Unless Im crazy i think 91 is 91, from DOMO or from Husky.

Mibz
10-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
I assumed Octane rating was a SAE value for the purity of fuel being dispensed. So if someones 91 is not 'good' then it cannot be sold/classified as 91 octane.. Unless Im crazy i think 91 is 91, from DOMO or from Husky. The octane rating is a minimum level they have to meet and it has nothing to do with purity. The quality of gas doesn't just depend on octane. However, rage2 did some analysis in the M3 and found Shell 91 knocked less (therefore had more octane) than any other 91 octane fuel. However the point that always matters is that unless you can tune, or your PCM will auto-tune, for the extra octane, it's just going to waste.

In terms of detergents, cleaners and other fancy additives, we'll never know what's best. It's near impossible to use the scientific method to test that stuff.

Swank
10-31-2009, 11:51 PM
I've heard gas from DOMO is either near or past it's 'best before' date, so if that's the case it's probably best left for beaters.

2EFNFAST
11-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6

I assumed Octane rating was a SAE value for the purity of fuel being dispensed. So if someones 91 is not 'good' then it cannot be sold/classified as 91 octane.. Unless Im crazy i think 91 is 91, from DOMO or from Husky.

Could be, could be not, but i don't buy that.

Most times I fill up my cobra (carb'd, really aggressive timing) at shell. Never had a problem.

Then once I got lazy and filled up at co-op. Engine started running rough and I got some backfiring from the exhaust. Whenever I'd give it a bit of gas and the oil temps would go up to 210ish, when I'd clutch in it would stall and die. Figured carb+weather changes = blah.

Anyways, got lazy a 2nd time, filled up at co-op again and this time my problems really got bad - it took me about 10minutes on a cold start for the car to be able to idle on its own (i.e., i'd have to hold the rpms at 1500 for 10minutes), major backfiring, anytime I held the clutch in it would die (even on the highway - that was fun).

It was at the point where I was ready to tear into the engine because things were going from bad to worst.

Then somebody suggested I pump the gas tank out and fill it back up - I did, and right away all my problems (stalling, backfiring, etc...) completely went away and never returned.

Lesson learned - not all 91 is the same. EFI can adapt to crappy gas most times, but aggressive cam + aggressive timing + carb = no way in hell that's happening.

bourge73
11-01-2009, 08:48 AM
I ve had the exact same thing happen in my 78 Omega (Nova) has a mild 355 with more aggressive timing, cam, etc. (nothing like yours tho ) and I usually always go for the Shell 91. Occassionally I get lazy and filled up once @ Superstore and once @ Esso and had very similar issues. Car was after 10 minutes blowing out black smoke and hesitating, back firing I was like "FAK Oh No" somethings wrong, but in the end it was just the gas. I really didnt think it mattered that much, but for me... it does. ( and both other stations were their "top gas" )

I wont go anywhere else but Shell for those reasons but I can say as I live in the NW, Country Hills is so close for me, but lately they have either been out of 91 or all types all together, and I am getting frustrated as hell.

2EFNFAST
11-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
e, but lately they have either been out of 91 or all types all together, and I am getting frustrated as hell.

Well, look at the positive side - it gives a reason to keep mileage off your Nova at the moment :rofl:

Swank
11-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Bronze only again today, so Esso got my money.

bourge73
11-01-2009, 05:07 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA guess your right ha only 68,000 miles guess it'll stay put for now. Maybe Ill try Esso again for the fill ups.
Whats the Cobra run for Hp?

2EFNFAST
11-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA guess your right ha only 68,000 miles guess it'll stay put for now. Maybe Ill try Esso again for the fill ups.
Whats the Cobra run for Hp?

640 on the engine stand dyno when it was built; almost 500RWhp on the dynojet, but I had the RPM cut-off set 600RPM too low (peace of mind for me) and I'm only using 91.

It weighs 2120lbs with full fluids (fuel, oil, etc...; no driver), so it's bordering on being a fat piggie :poosie:

scat19
11-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Had to put in bronze again. Argh.

To my car, if you can hear this, I'm sorry!

FiveFreshFish
11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
^^^ Why not fill up with Esso premium? I would sooner do that than use the wrong octane gas from Shell.

scat19
11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I put in 15 dollars to just that :thumbsup:

1-Bar
11-03-2009, 10:06 AM
91 available in Riverbend, got some last night. Also drove by Shells in Millrise and past Avenida Place, signs says there is gas there, dunno if its 87/89/91 though...good luck

star-k
11-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Since Shell is running low on gas, Petro Canada has always better refined their consumer fuel system in the last 3 quarters, very few people know about this, but petro canada has immensley improved their refining methods, to exceed that of Shell. Thats what the Head Rep of process refeneries has told me because she is personally my friend.

I'm going to fill up at petro from now on. go with their 91.

Husky is also really good, however because it has ethanol, hmmm is it ok with our cars?? especially high performance?

bourge73
11-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I used Husky's 94 with my turbo car but I always found that the gas mileage suffered in comparision to Shell 91. (There has been discussion on this point in a previous thread has to due with energy content in gas vs. Ethanol?) I think I ll start to look for Petro fill ups next.

98type_r
11-04-2009, 01:21 PM
premium available on Country Hills Blvd by the Home Depot/Canadian Tire.