PDA

View Full Version : Stoney Trail/Deerfot Trail intersection opening date

Sapo
10-24-2009, 08:54 AM
anyone know date they focus on?

speedog
10-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Have been hearing November 2, 2009 as the opening date for the whole thing - can't find any solid links to announcements though.

corsvette
10-24-2009, 09:37 AM
A friend of the family who works for stoney trail construction also said Nov 2,i guess they get a hefty fine for every day past that date if the road is not open.

Spoons
10-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Completion dates in Calgary? :rofl: I thought they just went with, "When it's done, it's done."

HyperZell
10-24-2009, 03:20 PM
This brings a good point up - how do you check city planning without calling them up? For example, I heard that they are closing down Crowchild Trail W past Stoney Trail in 2 years time to build the next extension of the LRT. Where would I go to find more details?

5000Audi
10-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
This brings a good point up - how do you check city planning without calling them up? For example, I heard that they are closing down Crowchild Trail W past Stoney Trail in 2 years time to build the next extension of the LRT. Where would I go to find more details?

betcha a 5-10 min phone call to 311 would be alot easyer then hours of googling

and ive heard nov 2nd as well, if you drive by it for the most part they are done, just doing touch ups and finalizations..

and i thought it was called a ring road because "its like a Circle" ( LOL Chuck and larry wedding dood)

but its more like a half, to be honest its not going to much of a help.. since if one was to go east on the ring road, the furthest you would get it a dead end @ 17th ave SE... and then you either have to go east to 84th, or west to Forest lawn/getto... i dunno so far its not as good as first thought.. it needs to go all the way to 22x or at least glenmore

403ep3
10-24-2009, 04:05 PM
I can't wait for that damn road to open. I wanna see how everything links up.

Nov 2 = lots of speed traps

AndyL
10-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I can't wait for harvest hills -> deerfoot to open up... Will make my commute so much better...

Sadly I'm about an hour to get from scenic acres to sunridge every day... Stoney opened to harvest, I can get into the traffic jam on country hills or beddington trail in 10 minutes; but now that traffic jam just keeps getting worse...

Truly discouraging was figuring out last week that I can actually get to work 20 mins faster going through the downtown core; than via the direct-ish routes of stoney, 16th, or JLB-Mcknight...

syritis
10-24-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm incredibly thankful for the ring road, a little bit of a shit show to get it started but what part of calgary isn't??

the trip from my house to work used to take an hour and a half roughly, now it's 45min on stoney trail. i'll expect it'll be even less when the deer foot interchange is done. I hate getting stuck behind dump trucks on center street/ highway 566

JfuckinC
10-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Graham Construction Gets fined 50G a day apparently if they're late :eek: (friend works for them)

Oz-
11-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Looks like they had a big ceremony about the opening today at 3pm (LINK (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Calgary+north+ring+road+opens/2172757/story.html))

Anyone had a chance to drive this yet? Will definitely help me when I have to go to my parents house in the NE boonies.

syritis
11-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I'll be there at 6am tomorrow morning, i'll be the one expecting to see someone coming head on into me.

VetteRacin
11-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Which section did they open up today at 3pm? The news mentioned it this morning but I wasn't really listening to it.

Tik-Tok
11-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Sooo, today a co-worker said he heard it was open today on the radio.

It was pretty slow at work, and we decided to drive up it around 10am. Went eastbound Mcknight, until we hit Stoney, and then went north at the lights...

About 30 seconds in, we realized there was no one behind us, and the only other vehicles on it were construction trucks headed on the southbound side, and then we saw 2 trucks coming at us southbound... in the northbound lanes.

That's when we figured out Stoney was open yet :rofl:

I flicked on the beacon to our white 3/4 ton van, and about 12 construction trucks drove by and didn't even look at us, they thought were were with them :angel:
Guess you could say we were the first citizens down that stretch of road :rofl:

5000Audi
11-02-2009, 09:36 PM
yeah its a pretty good road.. was on it twice today.. great for comming from royal oak area..

Good plan.. cant wait for the 2nd section to be built

Acey SS
11-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Getting from Airdrie to west Calgary will be 20x easier.

AndyL
11-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Took it home after work yesterday; fricken sweet, 5 lights and 25 minutes to get from sunridge industrial to scenic acres! Better time than the commute on weekends!

Peacrust
11-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Drove it twice yesterday. Great that it's finally done .. did encounter one sketchy area taking stoney to deerfoot north. There are no lights working yet and the "merge" onto deerfoot comes up extremely quick! Without warning you are on deerfoot So be careful!

hampstor
11-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Peacrust
Drove it twice yesterday. Great that it's finally done .. did encounter one sketchy area taking stoney to deerfoot north. There are no lights working yet and the "merge" onto deerfoot comes up extremely quick! Without warning you are on deerfoot So be careful!

oh yeah, stoney east->deerfoot north's merge section might as well be a yield considering how short it is. Drove it last night so I didn't really see/notice if it was just in complete or not

scat19
11-03-2009, 09:39 AM
there should be no yields onto a 100kmh road...

codetrap
11-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Guess you could say we were the first citizens down that stretch of road :rofl:

I live just backing onto that stretch.. and I can safely say that you're definately not the first citizens to drive on it after it was paved. ;)

(I would never have taken my bike up / down it a few times while the ashpalt was still warm)

hampstor
11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by scat19
there should be no yields onto a 100kmh road...

agreed - but the lane was shorter than the old yield from Peigan onto Deerfoot. I'm not saying it should be a yield, it's what it reminds me of.

Kloubek
11-03-2009, 09:57 AM
We're building in Kincora, but currently live in Abbeydale. Now we can just take 16th all the way around on the east side, and get there in half the time. Stoked for this weekend to try it out!

inline6turbo
11-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Yea I live right beside it as well and can say I've seen numerous people at night going down the stretch before it opened.

I went down it yesterday at ~4 and it was packed! So glad it's open now. It's amazingly fast, the average speed was 130kmph! Everyone was just moving, even the schoolbuses.:rofl:

I went from 17ave S.E. to Mcknight BLVD and it took me 3 minutes.

Thank you Bronco! :clap:

Lex350
11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
took the ring road to work today...from Royal Oak to 17th ave it took 21 minutes at the speed limit. They had a ghost car under the bedington trail overpass this morning...couldn;t see him until you were right on top on him...bastard!

What a nice drive over taking Beddington trail on to Deerfoot.

AndyL
11-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Now if they'd finish that damn pedestrian bridge north of crowchild and open up the 4 lanes again...

Although it's really burning me that center street doesn't have an overpass - yet ?96?ave NE does?!? WTF sense does that make? A bridge to nowhere, and major road has a light...

Acey SS
11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Is the limit 100 all the way around?

van
11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
i thought it was 110? haha maybe not

Thomas Gabriel
11-03-2009, 11:18 AM
It's 100 lol. Until I hear of enforcement I'll be doing 120 though.

Kloubek
11-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

Originally posted by rotten42
They had a ghost car under the bedington trail overpass this morning...couldn;t see him until you were right on top on him...bastard!

:dunno:

Pahnda
11-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Last night I thought the limit was 200... :dunno: :confused:

barmanjay
11-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

careful, I've already seen people pulled over (this morning) - ghost truck

citadel to mcknight ne = 17mins @ 110 during rush hr

ex-wife lives and kids go to school in the ne. this road shaves 10min each way/each day for me.

Kloubek
11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda
Last night I thought the limit was 200... :dunno: :confused:

... I'll just sit back and watch Beyond tear you apart for that idiotic comment...

FiveFreshFish
11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Pics posted on another forum:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=4536963&postcount=1697

kamatayan
11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
17th ave SE to CIM = 12 Mins. ( yesterday afternoon )
16th Ave NW (valley ridge) to 17th ave SE = 35 Mins. ( this morning )

colt22
11-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Haven't been following this infrastructure development too much..

Does the city intend to continue extending the road down further south than 17th S.E?
i.e 17th ave S.e to 22x?

Tik-Tok
11-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by colt22

Does the city intend to continue extending the road down further south than 17th S.E?
i.e 17th ave S.e to 22x?

Yep, though that part of the ring will be mostly for trucks I suspect, that's a long ways east for 90% of the southern communities

Tarrantula
11-03-2009, 02:51 PM

Yep, though that part of the ring will be mostly for trucks I suspect, that's a long ways east for 90% of the southern communities

Hopefully its because they are planning for the future expansion for once, instead of screwing up like usual.

masoncgy
11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by colt22

i.e 17th ave S.e to 22x?

The SE leg of the ring road is expected to begin construction in 2010 with it completed in 2013, from what I remember reading... going from the 17 Ave SE interchange to 22X

The entire ring road is meant to take truck traffic off city streets as much as possible and also to allow through traffic to bypass the city entirely. It's not meant to be a volume-carrying commuter expressway like Deerfoot Trail is.

Acey SS
11-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Stoney/Deerfoot interchange has a pair of beastly flyovers. Surprised at how high they actually are.

CRXguy
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Takes me 10mins to drive my kids to my parents from saddleridge to applewood. save 6mins each way and i don't have to deal with fob drivers on falconridge blvd and 68th street. lol

kaput
11-04-2009, 02:05 PM

irs
11-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Does this help much with access to Crossiron Mills?

Nope it doesn't!
I wish it did!

djayz
11-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Supposedly their is supposed to be some back road right off of Stoney Trail that you can take to CIM however yesterday I did Mcknight to Deerfoot then around the small country road to CIM.

I did notice though that they are building an off ramp that goes directly to the mall off of deerfoot which should help alot with access to the place.

Also 2 things that the ring road could use that were extremely dissapointing to me where: one the speed limit is 100, should be atleast 110 even though it's a 2 lane highway it's so straight that 110 should easily be handled by most people. Second would be that they should put up some reflectors on the sides (the ones on sticks) specially around the huge turn after country hills blvd heading north. I drove it in the day time and it was fine but at night time when it snows for truckers it could prove to be quite dangerous.

Other than that nice road, it's actually smooth unlike some other new roads they have done in the past *cough*Mcknight*cough*.

It's super boring to drive this road as there is nothing to see which sucks but I guess time will fix that, and the fact that speed limits only 100 makes it suck even more, I hope they increase the limit down the road.

syritis
11-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Be careful of the worlds SHORTEST merge lane from eastbound stroney to northbound deerfoot. before the on ramp even connects to the lanes on deerfoot there are a couple construction pylons that mark the end of the merge lane.
So i'm assuming that i must somehow slalom the pylons and correct my speed to match the speed of traffic just as the deerfoot traffic brakes for the 80zone all while seeing in the dark cause there are no street lights on the road, they all lighting up the dirt between bridges.

djayz
11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by syritis
Be careful of the worlds SHORTEST merge lane from eastbound stroney to northbound deerfoot. before the on ramp even connects to the lanes on deerfoot there are a couple construction pylons that mark the end of the merge lane.
So i'm assuming that i must somehow slalom the pylons and correct my speed to match the speed of traffic just as the deerfoot traffic brakes for the 80zone all while seeing in the dark cause there are no street lights on the road, they all lighting up the dirt between bridges.

Yah this was a little scary coming off the ramp at 100km only to see everyone braking, you go to shoulder check and you run out of road and either brake, hit someone, or drive through a row of pylons haha...sometimes I think they just don't have any common sense when it comes to these things.

Do they not have someone that drives all the roads before they open to check for debris or defects on the road before opening it?
And by defects I mean merge lanes that are 50m long like the one mentioned above.

bourge73
11-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Still amazed how light the traffic has been on this and really at all times of day, guess the general public/sheep arent fully aware yet.

Cock Knuckle
11-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by djayz
Supposedly their is supposed to be some back road right off of Stoney Trail that you can take to CIM however yesterday I did Mcknight to Deerfoot then around the small country road to CIM.

I did notice though that they are building an off ramp that goes directly to the mall off of deerfoot which should help alot with access to the place.

Also 2 things that the ring road could use that were extremely dissapointing to me where: one the speed limit is 100, should be atleast 110 even though it's a 2 lane highway it's so straight that 110 should easily be handled by most people. Second would be that they should put up some reflectors on the sides (the ones on sticks) specially around the huge turn after country hills blvd heading north. I drove it in the day time and it was fine but at night time when it snows for truckers it could prove to be quite dangerous.

Other than that nice road, it's actually smooth unlike some other new roads they have done in the past *cough*Mcknight*cough*.

It's super boring to drive this road as there is nothing to see which sucks but I guess time will fix that, and the fact that speed limits only 100 makes it suck even more, I hope they increase the limit down the road.

The Metis Trail exit is open to traffic, but is actually slower to get to Crossiron than Stoney/Deerfoot, as you will be doing a bit of gravel roads & construction zones.

Stick to the Deerfoot approach to CIM unfortunately.

sweeks
11-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by syritis

From what I can tell that. not the final length of that merge lane its short due to the construction for that exit to CIM. It looks like when thats done it'll be a new lane.