PDA

View Full Version : Review: Caesars Steakhouse and Lounge

Neil4Speed
10-24-2009, 05:10 PM
512 – 4th Avenue S.W.
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0J6

P. 403-264-1222 F. 403-264-9933

Continuing on my quest to try out Calgarys well known steakhouses, Caesars was an unusually late try for me considering its common reference as the go to place in Calgary for an amazing steak.

Ambiance/Atmosphere: 7.5/10

Its location from the outside is pretty low key, looks like any other downtown building, not really an importance to me. Right when you walk in your greeted and your coat is taken in a small lobby of sorts adorned in Marble and Dark Woods, a common trend throughout the restaurant. The atmosphere is somewhat dark, you expect Joe Pecci, De Niro and Ray Liotta to sit down. Lots of buttoned leather, red cloth, and dark woods. Nice in a sense, but feels old fashioned.

We went on a Friday evening and the restaurant was not very busy with probably 1 in 3 tables occupied. Due to the low ceilings I really felt that the sound traveled, and it was quite loud inside.

For a high end steakhouse I expected better quality Steak knifes. They did the job adequately I suppose but felt ultra dollar store cheap, and used for a few to many years. I was really let down by this for some reason.

Food - 7.2/10

I ordered a 250gram New York Tenderloin with the house sauce. I was pleasantly surprised that our meals included a starter salad, bread sticks and soup. My delight quickly diminished when I received both. The Salad seemed like it came from a bag of Dole Mixed Iceberg Lettuce and the French onion soup must have been from a poor quality instamix (not very good at all!). Also the addition of Parmesan on the onion soup was not a nice alternative to fresh mozzarella - seemed cheap and lazy. The bread sticks were tasty, but again pretty simple, just bread in the oven, layer on butter, and heavy layering of Parmesan. Much better at Ruths.

When I received my meal It was very enjoyable, the Steak was good and cooked to the exact specifications as I requested (medium), but masked by the heavily wosterisized/BP inspired house sauce.

The baked potato was excellent, very soft on the inside, and the the waiter adding Sour Cream, Bacon, and Chives from a serving tray seemed a little crude, especially when the adding fell over my steak. I wish they would make to order instead.

Service - 6.5/10

Our server had a certain Veteran waiter arrogance. The kind of arrogance which is palpable when he is speaking and irritating. He checked up on us a single time, did not bother to relight our candle (which went out pretty much right when he lit it). No small talk, just brought our food and that was about it. I would say he was unfriendly and unhelpful when I was asking him questions about the different cuts. Maybe its because I am in my early 20's, and the likes of Harvey Weingarten was sitting on the opposite table.

Pricing 7.0/10

Pricing was less than Ruths, but around the price of Met Grill and Murriettas. It seemed like a nice bonus to get the salad and the soup, but I could have probably done without both. Ruths Chris was about 20% more than Caesars but the meal and experience was much better. If you want the better value I would eat at the Keg Westin for about 60% of the price and have a meal/steak that was the same or better as Caesars

Overall - 7/10

I am happy I checked it out but probably wouldn't return for a while, there are better places out there for a nice steak. I know there are some die hard Caesars fans here, but I am going to go on a limb and say this joint is heavily overrated.

GQBalla
10-24-2009, 06:08 PM
nice review.

i have to try this place some time.

i have yet to to a "steakhouse" usually because i make my own steaks.

Weapon_R
10-24-2009, 06:55 PM
After hearing so many recommendations, I left feeling the same way as you did after a few visits. It seems like the biggest fans of this place don't get out much and/or are trying to impress someone because their food isn't up to par with many places around town.

Feruk
12-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I've been there prolly 8-10 times (only twice for dinner). The service is definitely so-so, but I can only think of one or two places I've had better steak in Calgary. Try the French onion soup; straight taste.

nonlinear
12-08-2009, 04:09 PM
has anyone been to the location near southland mall?

adidas
12-08-2009, 04:41 PM
^^ do a quick search im pretty sure there has been a review on that location as well. From what i can rmr the OP was very pleased with his experience

JDMMAN
12-08-2009, 10:52 PM
For steaks etc, the best I've had is Hy's. (too bad they're not open anymore).

I generally have the same feelings as your review everytime I go here for lunch or a function.

A790
12-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
has anyone been to the location near southland mall?
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/239210/review-caesars-steak-house-willow-park/