PDA

View Full Version : Will not having a bathtub affect my resale value?

R-Audi
10-26-2009, 08:47 AM
First of all some details about the house...

1910 build.. 80% rennovated within the last 4 years...located in Parkhill, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath 1200sq ft..

The Bath:
Its a pretty small bathroom that currently has a clawfoot bathtub with converted shower, shower curtains on overhead circular rods. We HATE it! Shower curtains suck, it takes up too much room, and its generally a pain.

We are just looking at updating the bathroom a bit more.. and want either a shower stall, or bathrub/shower combo..
But are slightly concerned with the chance that having a shower stall only will negatively affect resale...

Thoughts?
If it does affect resale.. any idea how much?

Also...Since some clawfoots are in demand as Antique type items.. any idea where to get rid of this one?

Weapon_R
10-26-2009, 08:50 AM
If it's your only bathroom, people expect a full bath and it will negatively affect your resale.

yue
10-26-2009, 08:50 AM
IMO, it would deter families with young children or couples who plan on having kids. you can't use the sink to bathe them forever.

Masked Bandit
10-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Huge mistake. You need a bathtub for resale.

benyl
10-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I am looking at a house now. The only reason I am probably not going to buy is because the main floor bathroom has no shower or bath for the two bedrooms.

The people in the bedrooms either have to use the ensuite or go downstairs into the basement.

The house has been on the market for over a year and the price has dropped almost $200K.

Put in a tub.

Kloubek
10-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow Benyl... that's an expensive 200k bathtub! :)

I agree though. In today's world, every home needs a tub.

JAYMEZ
10-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Yah tub for sure. I would never consider a house without a tub.

R-Audi
10-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I guess I have to start looking at shower tub combos a bit more...

Other problem this creates is that there is a window where the tub 'kit' would go... from what I understand (and its from very light reading) is that the window will need a waterproofing treatment with vinyl instead of wood frames etc... All walls in the bathroom are subway tiles already.. so that can make things easier and tougher at the same time. (Pulling out walls for water lines, or simply throwing a full wall tub unit in overtop etc)

Now having not looked into the options yet.. would it look better (more modern, not as cheap etc) to use a tub base with the tiled walls, or a full tub/shower combo kit?

Bisklimpkit
10-26-2009, 09:38 AM
If you have a window in the wall to contend with, I'd go with the tiled surround as I'm not sure the kits for the tub/shower combos are that easy to modify around a window. Personally, I also prefer the look of tile to the standard white surround.

benyl
Originally posted by Kloubek
Wow Benyl... that's an expensive 200k bathtub! :)

I agree though. In today's world, every home needs a tub.

Normally, I would say that it isn't a problem, just put one in after buying! But it would require huge structural changes in order to put in a shower. I don't know who would build or design a house with no tub for the other bedrooms. haha, it's fucked!

topmade
We just did a reno with the same situation with the window. We blocked out the entire window with glass blocks from the inside and sealed the outside shut so you can't open it. Cheap fix, but IMO way better then trying to waterproof it by changing out the window frame on a 1940's house. We also installed a vent as well so the window isn't needed.

R-Audi
10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Interesting... I guess I will have to look into that.
Mind giving a rough estimate on what that cost you? How far in detail did you rennovate?

I was thinking (not knowing much about bath construction) that I could get a drop in tub.. frame around with tile, leave the surrounding walls already tiled.. and figure out some sot of solution for the window...

ExtraSlow
10-26-2009, 10:43 AM
When I bought my house, I skipped over one because of no tub. It's a big deal for families.

Getting a plastic (vinyl) window isn't that big of a deal. I had one put in my last house in the shower. Western Windows did it and it looks great and can't corrode or rot.

mowglee
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
you need a tub for sure. If you have two bathrooms one can have a shower stall and it won't affect you.

topmade
10-26-2009, 11:07 AM
This was a basement rental reno and everything was gutted and redone. The bathroom before only had a shower; it was taken out and a few pipes had to be redirect so we could get the tub in. Because the house was so damned old it was better to replace the piping anyways. Our contractor only charged us $200 extra on top of the original quote to get the glass blocks done because he was already tiling the wall anyways so the glass blocks didn't add much labour at all. As for the exact cost of the bathroom I don't really know since everything was in a bundle.

barmanjay
10-26-2009, 11:19 AM
top 2 selling features for any house

1: kitchens
2: bathrooms

whiskas
10-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Put a tub/shower combo in and use a tub door instead of a shower curtain