PDA

View Full Version : Buying a hatchback

Seth1968
10-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Hello.

I currently own a 2003 Civic, but long story short, I have to write it off due to an accident. So, I'm in the market for a new hatchback, and was hoping to get some suggestions.

My current contenders are:

- Honda Fit
- Toyota Matrix
- Hyundai Accent
- Pontiac Vibe (which I found out is actually a Toyota)
- Mazda 3

I've driven the Fit, but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't see over the hood even though I'm 6ft tall. Nor did I like the ludicrous 7.1% financing.

I haven't checked out the other cars yet, but the online reviews claim the Matrix is not a good buy due to price, a cheap interior, major body roll, and a shoddy automatic transmission (among other things).

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thank you.

MugenBB6
10-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I work at Discount car and truck rentals and I drive matrix's and 3's allll day and they seem pretty shitty. IMO the Fit would be the best. If you wanted the Mazda 3 you would have to go for the mazda speed version no exception. Just come here and rent out a mazda 3 or matrix and drive it for a day and see how you like it lol. Alot of people actually do that too lol.

atgilchrist
10-26-2009, 10:59 AM
The new VW Golf is worth a look too.

MugenBB6
10-26-2009, 11:17 AM
^ agreed

BigMass
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
the Yaris is probably the best economy car i've owned so far. Everything about it is efficient and nothing is wasted. Performance wise I couldn’t be happier. Enough power for what I need, and with new tires and modest lowering springs the handling is as crisp as I need it for anything outside of a race track.

FiveFreshFish
10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
The new VW Golf is worth a look too.

Best looking hatch IMO.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/volkswagen-golf-vi/#2

Seth1968
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Due to the major financial hit I had to take on my Civic, my two main priorities for the new hatchback are cost and reliability. As such, I've come to the conclusion that the Golf, Matrix, and Fit are out of the running.

I basically need a cheap and reliable hatchback to putter around town, so I'm leaning toward the Accent.

-TOFU-
10-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Are you buying new or used? I would have recommend the Mazda 3 , but only if you are looking at the GT model and not the GS. I find that the Mazda 3 offers you more for your Money and it handles and drives much better than the matrix/vibe, If your looking for fuel economy then I recommend the Honda Fit, but find it to be underpowered and interior is pretty boring and it is not in the same class as the others that you have listed.

Redlyne_mr2
10-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Stay away from the Accent, little to no power and it depreciates heavily.

FiveFreshFish
10-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Get a used VW GTI VR6, model years 2002 to 2005.

HHURICANE1
10-26-2009, 03:47 PM
When I was looking I found the Matrix very cramped. I'm 6'2" and found that the 3 had much more room.

guessboi
10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
go try the suzuki sx4 if you are planning to keep for the long term. cheap and good financing rates these days.

Seth1968
10-26-2009, 09:26 PM
With the suggestions posted, I've narrowed it down to the following in which I'll take for test drives, etc:

- Hyundai Accent
- Mazda 3
- Toyota Yaris
- Suzuki SX4

I'm not too concerned about performance as the vehicle will just be a city dweller. Resale value isn't important either, as I plan on keeping the vehicle until it melts or someone drops a million dollars into my bank account:)

BTW- I love the AWD on the SX4, but according to the yellow pages, there is no Suzuki dealership in Lethbridge, Alberta.

4bier
10-26-2009, 09:29 PM
how about a subaru

jdm_eg6
10-26-2009, 09:44 PM
A3 ;)

or like said above a new Impreza or even WRX.

or if canada ever wakes up:
http://blog.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/f7bcb50b95type-r.jpg

Zephyr
10-26-2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2009/subaru.impreza.wrx/09.subaru.wrx.340.jpg

great car at it's price, plus it's been refreshed again with bigger turbo and suspension changes.

Euro838
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I was in the same situation as OP and went with the Mazda 3 as it presented best value. I did not want to go over $15k.

The 2004-2006 models are basically the same whereas in 07-09 models, the GT versions came with a optional luxury package.

If you are price conscious then go for an 04-06. The engine is basically the same for all the Mazda 3 hatches from 04-09. I would say you should be able to get any 06 or older Mazda3 Sport(hatch) for $15k or less. Ppl that ask for more are out to lunch on pricing. The loaded 07-09 would probably range $18-20K.

Here are some of the pros over the other models you have listed:

- Price - there are A LOT of mazda 3's available so you have a lot to choose from. Ppl seem to want way too much for their FITs. Matrix's are about the same price but I think the 3 doesn't look as retarded. The subaru is an awesome car but still way too expensive for the purpose I was looking for IMO.

- Styling - I personally do not like the 1st gen Matrix or the FIT. The yaris I don't like the styling and the center dash thing. I also find it looks really cheap inside. There's also the Nissan Versa that I considered but didn't like the look. I also am biased against hyundai, kia, and suzuki so I won't even consider them.

-performance - I didn't compare timed performance numbers but since the mazda had 160hp 2.3L engine, I figured it should out perform the others. But this was not a very important factor to really be considered closely.

-Quality - I know others may not agree with me but I would say I am losing some quality points by going with Mazda over Honda or Toyota but for the price difference, I'm willing to take 3rd or 4th spot on this one.

-Economy - The mazda 3 doesn't get the best fuel consumption (i'm averaging 9-9.5 city) but I'm willing to sacrifice that for a bit better performance.

Anyways, after evaluating and searching, I ended up with a mazda 3 since the new FITs and Matrixs were out of my budget range. The difference between the GS and GT for 04-06 were minor i.e. sunroof, 16"vs17" rims, etc. Good luck with your search!

Eleanor
10-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Wait till the Fiesta comes out in spring.

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
A3 ;)

or like said above a new Impreza or even WRX.

or if canada ever wakes up:
http://blog.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/f7bcb50b95type-r.jpg
Cool cars but they would end up being like $40K here.

nonlinear
10-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Stay away from the Accent, little to no power and it depreciates heavily.

i agree that the lack of power is the Accent's primary drawback. however, even though people always view hyundai's depreciation as a negative thing, i view it as a good thing since once can buy a 1-2 year old car for about 60% of the initial cost - making hyundai's an even better value than they already are. of course many people want a brand new car, but if you're willing to get something a year or two old you could get a really great deal.

hyundai makes great cars, and although i'm not a fan of the accent, for the money you can't really go wrong. you will get far more car with a hyundai than with an equally priced car from another manufacturer.

you might also consider spending a few K extra and stepping up to an elantra or a sonata - which are far superior vehicles as conpared to an accent. if you are willing to consider an older model, hyundai made elantra hatchbacks from 2000-2006 model year that look really sporty. i wish they still made elantra hatchbacks though :cry:

heavyD
10-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2009/subaru.impreza.wrx/09.subaru.wrx.340.jpg

great car at it's price, plus it's been refreshed again with bigger turbo and suspension changes.

According to Consumer Reports the 2009 WRX has the lowest reliability in it's class so if the OP wants something reliable probably best to avoid these problem plagued cars.

dino_martini
10-28-2009, 01:10 PM
We have been out and about looking at hatchbacks and I really liked the Honda Fit. The interior was nice, it felt of good quality, the exterior styling looks really good (personal preference).

But I did like the Toyota Matrix as well. It can get pretty pricey though. And I didn't like the sales people at Heninger or Canyon Creek.

I poked by Kramer Mazda on Monday to look at the Speed3. And I actually really like the look and feel of the standard 3. Even with that smiley face, I think it looks quite good. I would also say its probably one of the sportier small cars around.

good luck.

grwnded
10-28-2009, 01:17 PM
i purchesed an 09 mazda 3 sport gt in May as my daily driver and i wll tell you that i have had no issues with it so far. personally i like my body style better than the 2010 model and i got a better deal buying the older model anyways.

i looked around and found that this one fits me the best thanks to the crank down drivers seat and i'm 6'2".

bituerbo
10-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Have you looked at the C130 Hercules? They are pretty affordable for everything they offer. Plus you'd be hard pressed to find anything else with this kind of cargo room and versatility. Think of all the money you'd save the next time you need to drop a tank off at a friends place or something.

http://www.talkingproud.us/ImagesMilitary/BlindbatLGB/C130TankDrop.jpg

slinkie
10-28-2009, 03:33 PM
+1 on the hercules...been dd'ing one for over a year now

bituerbo
10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
+1 on the hercules...been dd'ing one for over a year now

They are built to last, and maintenance isn't that bad if you learn a little aviation mechanics in your spare time, save a lot not having to take it in to the dealer ($$$). And nobody's gonna give you too much shit for not having proper winter tires.

Zephyr
10-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

According to Consumer Reports the 2009 WRX has the lowest reliability in it's class so if the OP wants something reliable probably best to avoid these problem plagued cars.

Only the first two months built in 2008, rest is fine.

Temujin
10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
What are you guys in the GR generation Imprezas getting for gas mileage ?