PDA

View Full Version : Need help installing gauges

vengie
10-26-2009, 02:36 PM
As the title states I am in need of some help installing a few gauges on my 05 STI (boost, oil pressure, fuel pressure).

This is something I have never done on ANY car and would like some assistance for the first go round.

If anyone has experience and would like to help me out, it would be much appreciated, you will also be compensated (beer/pizza, or straight cash)

Thank you in advance!

SR240SX
10-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Pretty sure you will need to get an oil filter sandwhich plate in order to hook up oil press...As for boost...Super simple, Just T into a good Vac source and then run the line for the gauge inside the car and mount you're gauge..

Fuel pressure I'm not sure about on an STI, But im sure searching the net would give you some answers..

revelations
10-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Is this a specific kit for a STI? - or is it one of those generic Canadian Tire things?

Have you looked at a STI specific forum on how to do this?

Do you have access to a lift/jack/garage/warm location?
(if required, may not be necessary for an STI)

Mr_ET
10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
an oil sandwich is usually needed for oil pressure as mentioned and usually the fuel pressure you have to get from the fuel filter area. Usually good gauges come with the fittings needed to make that all work.

Electric vs mechanical gauges will make the install slightly different.

vengie
10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Is this a specific kit for a STI? - or is it one of those generic Canadian Tire things?

Have you looked at a STI specific forum on how to do this?

Do you have access to a lift/jack/garage/warm location?
(if required, may not be necessary for an STI)

Its a generic kit, I was unaware you could buy a specific kit...

and yes I have posted up on WSC to no avail. I just get posts telling me how to do the mechanical portions of the install, its the electrical I am worried about.

I do not have access to any of those, however a warm location could be arranged quite easily.

vengie
10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
an oil sandwich is usually needed for oil pressure as mentioned and usually the fuel pressure you have to get from the fuel filter area. Usually good gauges come with the fittings needed to make that all work.

Electric vs mechanical gauges will make the install slightly different.

Ya they are definatley cheapy gauges (Glowshift) I want the DEFI's but cant justify the price for now... I have read, and been told fairly good things about the Glowshifts. Time will tell!

Also I now have a sandwich adapter.

TurboD
10-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Help installing gauges?

Maybe modifying cars isn't for you.
Ever considered something a bit more straight forward, like maybe joining a checkers team or something?

Sounds like you aren't in the game for function anyway so maybe just install the gauges and don't hook them up since you likely won't understand what they are reading.

You maybe just have to realize that you spent all your money on an 05 STI and don't even have enough money left over for a decent set of aftermarket gauges.

It doesn't sound like you are in the financial position to be ghetto installing gauges or paying someone in beer to rig them in your car that I'm sure you spent your life savings on.

Instead of letting some random beyond car enth. come tear apart your dashboard and wiring system, why not actually pay a qualified installer?

You gotta pay to play when it comes to car mods, and when you buy an 05 sti you already made the choice to pay, so now is not the time to go ghetto.

It must be embarrassing to have a turbocharger unit in your avatar spot when you don't even know the basic layout of how the system works or where the wastegate gets its signal from.

JZS_147
10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
honestly putting those gauges in will be a waste of time and money, they won't have accurate readings anyways.

i remember logging a JZA70 supra on the dyno with a bunch of GlowSHIT gauges, water temp was reading out 120C, while the ECU was reading 91C. nothing was accurate. customer told me he bought the set of them brand new a week before. He ended up yanking them out and selling them on the forum, and putting a nice HKS DB meter package in.

functionality > cool looking rice gauges

SR240SX
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by TurboD
Help installing gauges?

Ever considered something a bit more straight forward, like maybe joining a checkers team or something?

Sounds like you aren't in the game for function anyway so maybe just install the gauges and don't hook them up since you likely won't understand what they are reading.

You maybe just have to realize that you spent all your money on an 05 STI and don't even have enough money left over for a decent set of aftermarket gauges.

It doesn't sound like you are in the financial position to be ghetto installing gauges or paying someone in beer to rig them in your car that I'm sure you spent your life savings on.

Instead of letting some random beyond car enth. come tear apart your dashboard and wiring system, why not actually pay a qualified installer?

You gotta pay to play when it comes to car mods, and when you buy an 05 sti you already made the choice to pay, so now is not the time to go ghetto.

It must be embarrassing to have a turbocharger unit in your avatar spot when you don't even know the basic layout of how the system works or where the wastegate gets its signal from.

Who shat in you're cornflakes this morning? LOL His question really pissed you off hey? you must have been born with the knowledge to install boost,oil press and fuel presss gauges on any given car....lucky you....

TurboD
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by SR240SX

Who shat in you're cornflakes this morning? LOL His question really pissed you off hey? you must have been born with the knowledge to install boost,oil press and fuel presss gauges on any given car....lucky you....

I wasn't born with the knowledge, but I am clever enough to find the info on the internet and have the passion to work on my own car and take on my own personal challenges.

It's like getting into model airplanes and posting on a model airplane forum for help installing a landing gear, and asking to pay someone to do it for you instead of finding the info and doing it yourself being that you are a fully capable individual.

I've heard of guys with one arm doing tranny and motor swaps alone, and this guy is calling it quits on some little pansy gauges.

If you're as cheap as this OP and choose to modify cars you had at better have passion or willingness to learn or both.
The OP has neither of these.

Also, while I'm at it I might as well bitch about his profile...

What I drive: Rhymes with Pie
STI is an acronym, in order to rhyme you need a dictionary word, see: fail.
If you owned a Pontiac sky I could see what you did there, but not STI, it's just really pathetic.

I can understand, asking for help when you have a problem with your car that you just cannot figure out for the life of you or is preventing you from having wheels to get to work....but for some aesthetic gauges that have no immediate need, give me a break.

vengie
10-26-2009, 08:57 PM

I wasn't born with the knowledge, but I am clever enough to find the info on the internet and have the passion to work on my own car and take on my own personal challenges.

It's like getting into model airplanes and posting on a model airplane forum for help installing a landing gear, and asking to pay someone to do it for you instead of finding the info and doing it yourself being that you are a fully capable individual.

I've heard of guys with one arm doing tranny and motor swaps alone, and this guy is calling it quits on some little pansy gauges.

If you're as cheap as this OP and choose to modify cars you had at better have passion or willingness to learn or both.

If you owned a Pontiac sky I could see what you did there, but not STI, it's just really pathetic.

I can understand, asking for help when you have a problem with your car that you just cannot figure out for the life of you or is preventing you from having wheels to get to work....but for some aesthetic gauges that have no immediate need, give me a break.

Hey bud, love the assumptions you have made about me, Whats your deal? I asked for HELP, didn't know there was something wrong with that... I wish I knew how to do everything but you know what, I have no problem asking for help when needed, my ego is not that big, id prefer things be done right the first time. I will be the first to admit I am not the most car "fluent" person ever, but I can sure as hell make my way around a car. I try to do majority of my work myself. As for buying the cheapo gauges, I will be the first to admit ya I did buy some cheapos, so what? can afford to buy the DEFI's but figured hey why not try these (I have read decent things on them) but thanks for assuming I am in a horrible financial state :dunno: I paid $120 off ebay for all 3, if they do not work so what? whats $120...

and as for being CHEAP when it comes to modifying cars, that is very laughable. I know you have to "pay to play" I owned a supercharged G35 coupe... is it wrong for me to try to save a buck or 2 on some GAUGES?? I do not have a heavily modded STI whatsoever. As of right now I have no need to closely monitor vitals as I am fairly close to stock.

Whats a local forum for if no one is willing to offer some time and help. I could pay a professional to do the install for me, but why not see if anyone else is willing to donate some time and be compensated for it? whats wrong with "hanging out with the boys" rather than pay some guy behind closed doors working on your car...

Here's an idea... take your assumptions, take your brutal attitude and walk away? Don't take posts on the internet so personal, if you have a problem with my simple request for help then take your comments elsewhere? Sorry I have never had to wire anything in...

If you have any other problems with me, or would like to attempt to insult me online in an attempt to stoke your e-cred, or would like to make a few more assumptions I could clear up please, by all means pm me. :dunno:

94boosted
10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Help installing gauges?

Wow there sparky is it that time of the month :rofl:

The dude asked for help installing gauges not a huge deal it took me like 5 hours to install a boost and an Air/Fuel gauge in my Talon back in the day cause I didn't know what I was doing if I had someone knowledgeable help me for some beer or cash it would have taken an hour. And there is plenty of guys on this forum (Mr_ET comes to mind) that are very well versed when it comes to cars.

To the OP check www.iwsti.com they have a great how-to section :thumbsup:

vengie
10-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Wow there sparky is it that time of the month :rofl:

The dude asked for help installing gauges not a huge deal it took me like 5 hours to install a boost and an Air/Fuel gauge in my Talon back in the day cause I didn't know what I was doing if I had someone knowledgeable help me for some beer or cash it would have taken an hour. And there is plenty of guys on this forum (Mr_ET comes to mind) that are very well versed when it comes to cars.

To the OP check www.iwsti.com they have a great how-to section :thumbsup:

Thank you, I am part of that forum but am rarely there, I stick to WSC as I prefer local forums, I revert to IWSTI for instances like this. I did find an install how to, but I am very nervous when it comes to electrical, especially when I am doing something for the first time. The mechanical aspect I am fine with.

MugenBB6
10-26-2009, 09:53 PM

You gotta pay to play when it comes to car mods

Says the guy who can't afford a real paint job and wraps his car lol. Don't worry Allan, imma back you up lol!!!

TurboD
10-26-2009, 09:53 PM
What "assumptions" did I make that were incorrect?

You already admitted you cheap'd out on gauges, and you already admitted you don't need the gauges for anything more than cosmetic reasons, and you also admitted that you had to sell your supercharged nissan to buy this car.

94boosted spent 5 hours installing his gauges, but I bet you he felt a lot better than he would have if he had payed someone to do all the work for him, and I bet now that he's done it he knows a thing or two about installing gauges.

You're nervous about it, you gotta man up and give it a shot at least, do what you can, post a picture or ask a question about what part your nervous about. That's what this forum is here for.

It's really not a two person job, if you know a friend that can help, great, but don't bother trying to hire some stranger.

rather than pay some guy behind closed doors working on your car...

I would rather have a qualified reputable shop work on my car than a random person off beyond with no formal experience or reputation or responsibility for their work quality.

and @ MugenBB6
This thread isn't about me or my car, but I'm broke as crap, and a vinyl wrap is ghetto, but what is your point? I spent 16+ hours to wrap my car myself rather than pay a shop 3000$+
and I was nervous too, but guess what, I got my shit together and did it by myself on my own with what I had available to me.
The vinyl wrap I did on my car was the first crx w/ jdm front end in the world, but at least the OP has internet reference of people that have installed those gauges on that car.

vengie
10-26-2009, 10:01 PM
What "assumptions" did I make that were incorrect?

You already admitted you cheap'd out on gauges, and you already admitted you don't need the gauges for anything more than cosmetic reasons, and you also admitted that you had to sell your supercharged nissan to buy this car.

94boosted spent 5 hours installing his gauges, but I bet you he felt a lot better than he would have if he had payed someone to do all the work for him, and I bet now that he's done it he knows a thing or two about installing gauges.

You're nervous about it, you gotta man up and give it a shot at least, do what you can, post a picture or ask a question about what part your nervous about. That's what this forum is here for.

It's really not a two person job, if you know a friend that can help, great, but don't bother trying to hire some stranger.

I would rather have a qualified reputable shop work on my car than a random person off beyond with no formal experience or reputation or responsibility for their work quality.

so clearly that means I am in financial state of despair? I got bored of the G35, and the impracticality was becoming very annoying, I did not enjoy scraping over every speed bump, I did not enjoy the attention the car recieved, and I got sick of driving un-reliable winter beaters while the G was parked for winter. Now that I am back in school I would like a YEAR ROUND car I can have some fun in. The STI fit the bill quite nicely! and purchasing it has also put me in a position I am very comfortable with financially, and for sheer fun!

there is another assumption! read between the lines bud! I asked for HELP! not for someone to do it for me! I am very hands on and would be right in there with them helping, I said I wanted to learn.

I am sorry, I am not sheltered, If I can hire some stranger and make a new friend then great! I have a new friend! One that I can ask for help when needed, and vise versa! its a really great system

so are you saying the like of Mr_et and several others are not experienced? I prefer to have someone off beyond offer assistance than take my car to a shop. A shop will not allow me to come in and learn how to do what I have set out to do.

The concept of asking for help is about learning, Which is what I am out to do, that way next time and next car I will be fine, OR maybe I can be the guy offering my assistance to someone else who needs help!
you have done nothing in this thread but prove your ignorance...

Edit: and as for the cheap gauges I figured hey why the hell not? they either work or they don't! if not then move on and buy something else!

SR240SX
10-26-2009, 10:06 PM

BLAH FUCKING BLAH TAKE THIS SAND OUT OF MY VAG QUICK!!!

You need to chill out

TurboD
10-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I think I found where the confusion is at,
I see your point about how you were seeking help rather than outright having someone do it all for you.

I don't think you can really learn how to do it unless you are actually doing it, when it comes to gauges anyway.
For a small job like this it's likely that you would more get in the way than anything for someone trying to work with the wiring and feeding.
You could probably hold a light or something but I don't think you could realistically see what the person is doing.

I would claim that Mr ET (not to pick on him, just for example) has never installed gauges on an 05 STI. (I could be wrong, but I think hes mainly a Honda guy) So you can imagine how I would be skeptical letting someone pry away at dash panels and such without experience.

wes_v
10-26-2009, 10:10 PM

Harsh way of saying it TurboD ... but its true. For the ammount of money an Sti is you should have got the Sti cluster that replaces the clock IMO not some auto-value or princess auto gauges

vengie
10-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by wes_v

Harsh way of saying it TurboD ... but its true. For the ammount of money an Sti is you should have got the Sti cluster that replaces the clock IMO not some auto-value or princess auto gauges

:facepalm: I have the cluster that replaces the clock. Jesus.

what does the price of my car have to do with anything? Honestly. This is a little ridiculous, have you not read the thread? (mind you I don't blame you considering the novels written)

I bought these gauges with the intention of TRYING THEM, they either work or they don't. so what? I paid $120 off ebay... big loss..

TurboD
10-26-2009, 10:15 PM
I would be thrilled to install custom gauges if I was rich enough to own an STI, with the vast amounts of aftermarket goodies and high quality functional gauges.

but if I were feeling nervous about modifying my car out of the range of the warranty, I would feel equally nervous about someone else modifying my car out of the range of the warranty.

Are you installing all three gauges in this clock area? Or how many gauges does this thing house?

If you do it yourself you can take your time and be as careful as you feel comfortable. You can spend as much time researching as you feel comfortable, and if you break something, worst case scenario you fix what you broke.

vengie
10-26-2009, 10:17 PM
I think I found where the confusion is at,
I see your point about how you were seeking help rather than outright having someone do it all for you.

I don't think you can really learn how to do it unless you are actually doing it, when it comes to gauges anyway.
For a small job like this it's likely that you would more get in the way than anything for someone trying to work with the wiring and feeding.
You could probably hold a light or something but I don't think you could realistically see what the person is doing.

I would claim that Mr ET (not to pick on him, just for example) has never installed gauges on an 05 STI. (I could be wrong, but I think hes mainly a Honda guy) So you can imagine how I would be skeptical letting someone pry away at dash panels and such without experience.

I have done many install days with many people for many different parts and cars. 99% of people would actually stop and answer a question if I asked what was going on, and I definatley would ask. Everyone I have ever met would have NO problem stopping and enlightening me.

Is this not why we all modify our cars? To learn?! :dunno:

vengie
10-26-2009, 10:20 PM
I would be thrilled to install custom gauges if I was rich enough to own an STI, with the vast amounts of aftermarket goodies and high quality functional gauges.

but if I were feeling nervous about modifying my car out of the range of the warranty, I would feel equally nervous about someone else modifying my car out of the range of the warranty.

Are you installing all three gauges in this clock area? Or how many gauges does this thing house?

No problems there, my car is out of warranty.
and all 3 gauges fit there, it is a 3 gauge pod that sits on top of the dash, replacing the stock clock.

TurboD
10-26-2009, 10:21 PM
This might be where some people are different than others.
For me if I'm not the one actually doing it, I wouldn't feel comfortable enough actually doing it.

If you watched someone rebuild a tranny and build a motor, do you think you would be more or less comfortable than the guy that has already done the research and asked the questions along the way and accomplished these things with his own two hands?

I don't see any problem with having someone over to answer questions, but chances are you will both be going back to the internet anyway.

vengie
10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
This might be where some people are different than others.
For me if I'm not the one actually doing it, I wouldn't feel comfortable enough actually doing it.

If you watched someone rebuild a tranny and build a motor, do you think you would be more or less comfortable than the guy that has already done the research and asked the questions along the way and accomplished these things with his own two hands?

thats apple's and orange's, re-building a motor is a whole other discipline. Whereas installing a couple gauges will require some wiring, watching how to splice or lengthen, or what to tap into is not near as complicated as WATCHING someone re-build a motor, I agree with you though, theory alone will not help you build a motor, hands on will. Like I said I can do all the mechanical. Its wiring that gets me.

wes_v
10-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by vengie

:facepalm: I have the cluster that replaces the clock. Jesus.

what does the price of my car have to do with anything? Honestly. This is a little ridiculous, have you not read the thread? (mind you I don't blame you considering the novels written)

I bought these gauges with the intention of TRYING THEM, they either work or they don't. so what? I paid $120 off ebay... big loss..
We must not be talking about the same cluster with gauges. This one costs close to $1000.
http://image.importtuner.com/f/9825398+w750+st0/impp_0805_03_z+2005_subaru_wrx_sti+gauge_cluster.jpg

Trini
10-26-2009, 10:36 PM
autometer makes some good gauges that are pretty cheap, that could have been an option.

Also Omori Gauges do go well with scoobies.
Defi's are too common in my view.

better to have some gauges that give accurate readings.

Just read up alot before attempting any work, that iwsti.com is a good forum as is http://forums.nasioc.com never hurts to do a quick search there or make a thread asking for advice.

TurboD
10-26-2009, 10:37 PM
I think you are fully capable of handling this yourself, you just gotta give it a shot.
If you get stuck or frustrated I bet there are tons of STI guys that will help you out if you post a picture.

It came off a bit harsh, but you cannot give me any good reason why you aren't capable of doing this yourself.

JZS_147
10-26-2009, 10:38 PM
turboD has good some points, but he shouldn't be bashing you for asking for help.

-you're installing gauges in an 05 STi, not an 89 CRX, buy some decent and functional gauges.

-what's $120? well, it's money towards a proper system

vengie
10-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by wes_v

We must not be talking about the same cluster with gauges. This one costs close to $1000.
http://image.importtuner.com/f/9825398+w750+st0/impp_0805_03_z+2005_subaru_wrx_sti+gauge_cluster.jpg

OHH you are talking about the entire package WITH gauges??

Definatley should have specified. I can piece the same package for under $800.

I bought a very similar pod for ~$60. Each defi gauge is right around the $200 mark on ebay.

wes_v
10-26-2009, 10:40 PM
PM LilDrunkenSmurf. He has a pretty nice done up STi, and im sure he can help you out with with your gauge dillema.

chkolny541
10-26-2009, 10:53 PM
this thread is nowhere near where it was intended to go, lol

vengie
10-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
this thread is nowhere near where it was intended to go, lol

Not at all...

That being said, One positive has come from this thread. I am going to sell the Glowshifts and order some DEFI's or HKS gauges. I need to be sure the gauges are accurate after I start heavily modding within this next year...

Anyone want to buy my glowshifts?! :D

JZS_147
10-26-2009, 11:07 PM
what about an HKS Camp2 system :poosie:

everyone has defi's, but a Camp2 is straight ballin!

http://hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=3471

vengie
10-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147

Actually... that is not a bad idea... I'd just be unsure where to mount it... I have a Pioneer "premier" deck...

chkolny541
10-26-2009, 11:14 PM

i would lean towards this op, it cant get anymore accurate than the info coming straight from the ecu

vengie
10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

i would lean towards this op, it cant get anymore accurate than the info coming straight from the ecu

I am HEAVILY leaning... I'd just need to figure out a mounting point...

And RCTS sells local...

Edit: looks like I am dead in the water on this, it taps into a nav unit. Which I do not have. Correct me if I am wrong?

JZS_147
10-26-2009, 11:26 PM
and if he does heavily modify the car and gets a proper standalone (HKS Fcon VPRO ;) ) he can also use the Camp system to switch maps, change settings, and monitor / log and display even more data.

you'd have to switch to a video deck, which i'm sure will also be useful in many more ways... or you can just get a 7" screen and install it somewhere. if you get a video deck, i know the pioneer units allow you to use the video source as the screen background, which is by far the best way to do it.

vengie
10-26-2009, 11:32 PM
and if he does heavily modify the car and gets a proper standalone (HKS Fcon VPRO ;) ) he can also use the Camp system to switch maps, change settings, and monitor / log and display even more data.

you'd have to switch to a video deck, which i'm sure will also be useful in many more ways... or you can just get a 7" screen and install it somewhere. if you get a video deck, i know the pioneer units allow you to use the video source as the screen background, which is by far the best way to do it.

I'd have to see if anyone would be willing to swap decks...
or buy a new one and sell mine...

any recommendations on a video deck?

chkolny541
10-26-2009, 11:40 PM
1 word, carputer, done

can get a descent one all said and done for ~500-600$ easy, even cheaper if you really scrounge for parts and that will get you all the data logging your heart can ever desire :drool: :drool:

JZS_147
10-26-2009, 11:55 PM
get a nice double din like a pioneer avh-p4100dvd

5.0LitreBeater
04-22-2010, 12:14 AM
serious. how did a simple question come about to an arguement over knowledge? i know if i had a new sti i would ask for some help changing the damn oil. well not to that extent but you know what i mean. guy doesnt want to f*ck up his car, whats wrong with that, i mean the first time i did a gauge i was afraid to cut the vacuum line bacause i didnt want to mess up and have no boost til i fixed it, so i asked for help. its not like the guy is goin to do it all for you while you are inside watching CSI Miami, hes gunna be hawkin right over ya shoulder learnin how to do that sh*t so he can do it. then when someone asks him for help he'll be able to. its the same with everything, take speech, do you think you would be speaking or holding conversations if you werent taught? NO! but anyways, the boost gauge is simple, the only tricky one would be the fuel gauge and choosing where to mount the gauges then where to fit everything through the firewall. hope you get them running.

dont new stis' already have that sh*t? i mean you spend enough on them. p.s. buy AUTOMETER