PDA

View Full Version : Free lawyers

3G
11-17-2003, 03:08 PM
When you get arrested the cops say "if you can't afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you free of charge". So since these lawyers are getting paid by the po-po/governemt, don't they work in the polices favour?

Anybody ever have one? are they any good?

Just wondering

Hakkola
11-17-2003, 03:35 PM
They don't work in anybodies favour, they want to win, they keep track of how many cases they win/lose, it doesn't look good if a defending lawyer loses every case he ever takes.

Lawyers have morals and a code of conduct they have to hold, but these lawyers are usually trying to make a name for themselves and aren't proven, you might get a shitty lawyer, but they're still trying to get a favorable outcome. If they can't get the case thrown out they will try to get the charges dealed down.

If it's important that you win get an experienced lawyer. If you really can't afford a good experienced lawyer I wouldn't worry to much, your lawyer won't try to screw you, they work for you.

sorry for the long ass post.

The_1
11-17-2003, 03:53 PM
those legal aid are assholes
somtimes they dont even show up

JAYMEZ
11-20-2003, 11:30 AM
They suck ass , they see your case the second your called up .

If it is a big thing just go get a lawyer , saves alot of time and you get away with everything .. unless you killed someone?? lol

link785
11-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Things to take note of:

If you have a criminal record, the following things will apply to you:

- You will have a VERY hard time getting into ANY job that requires a background check.

- You will have a tough time travelling to the USA, without getting a customs waiver beforehand, which usually takes about 5 months.

- You will always have that conviction on your record, which could come back in 15 years and kick you in the ass, again.

As you can see, having a criminal record sucks ass. Happened to a friend of mine, and he's had nothing but problems since. Anyone who gets busted and charged with anything, I'd put every penny I had, even debt myself, into getting the best lawyer I could find.

3G
11-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by link785
Things to take note of:

If you have a criminal record, the following things will apply to you:

- You will have a VERY hard time getting into ANY job that requires a background check.

- You will have a tough time travelling to the USA, without getting a customs waiver beforehand, which usually takes about 5 months.

- You will always have that conviction on your record, which could come back in 15 years and kick you in the ass, again.

As you can see, having a criminal record sucks ass. Happened to a friend of mine, and he's had nothing but problems since. Anyone who gets busted and charged with anything, I'd put every penny I had, even debt myself, into getting the best lawyer I could find.

even on assault charges? how about if you're a minor?

JAYMEZ
11-28-2003, 12:54 AM
Doesnt matter , when i was a minor i had some huge charges against me , i got the best damn lawyer i could find , hell ill give you her number

BATTING CO
2410,645-7ave SW
Calgary AB T2P 4G8
Lisa M Burgis Direct line (403)213-2999

I got out of Public Mischief , Insurance Fraud , Leaving a crash scene , and damaging Private property .... you know what i got .... 50 hours of community service.

It helps to have money , but just dont be a repeat offender

Dope Dealer
11-28-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Doesnt matter , when i was a minor i had some huge charges against me , i got the best damn lawyer i could find , hell ill give you her number

BATTING CO
2410,645-7ave SW
Calgary AB T2P 4G8

I got out of Public Mischief , Insurance Fraud , Leaving a crash scene , and damaging Private property .... you know what i got .... 50 hours of community service.

This was all in one case? :rofl: :rofl:

sikh_n_destroy
11-28-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

This was all in one case? :rofl: :rofl:

Damn...i know its crazyyy!!!

my uncle is a criminal lawyer...i dont think he is an asshole though!!!!
:dunno: :dunno:

JAYMEZ
11-28-2003, 03:23 AM
Ya one case , lol thank god , if they seperate i would have been Faked...

I let a girl drive , she crashed it , we ran , i blamed it on someone else and said car was stolen , insurance believed me , payed for dmgs , and then one of my friends rated me out in the investigation . i was 16 =P

3G
11-28-2003, 08:38 AM
then one of my friends rated me out in the investigation .

Don't you just hate those rats and sell-outs? :guns: :guns:

B17a
11-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Professional advice is usually only worth what you pay. Hence free lawyer = good luck in court!:D

Hello Lionel Hutz!

ShOwOfF
11-28-2003, 12:10 PM

BATTING CO
2410,645-7ave SW
Calgary AB T2P 4G8

How much did you end up paying for the lawyer?

sikh_n_destroy
11-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Professional advice is usually only worth what you pay. Hence free lawyer = good luck in court!:D

Hello Lionel Hutz!

hahahhaahah...

i agreee!!!

and all lawyers arent the same!!:thumbsup:

nickopolis
11-28-2003, 09:33 PM
anyone know a criminal lawyer that i could talk to tonight or at laest before sunday?

JAYMEZ
11-29-2003, 03:05 AM
I payed 12 grand for that , but she gave me a free assesment(sp) and case review

PGTze
11-29-2003, 03:33 AM
Belfour Der is one of the best deffense Lawyers in Calgary, I'm thinking he charges alot though.

Toma
12-03-2003, 06:43 PM
All lawyers should be round up and shot.

They all double bill, they all take too much injury accident (over 35% now), and they do next to nothing.

The criminal code should be revamped so lawyers are not needed...

DeSi
12-08-2003, 07:03 PM
no, they don't the lawyers you get are from "legal aid" and you get a cheaper rate. albeit there not as good as the other lawyers but they get the job done. you'll still have to pay your legal fees in installments to the government. you get what you pay for.

lawyeradviceldb
05-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

shakalaka
05-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Well done bumping a 7 year old thread. Spammer.

G
05-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Ouellette J Andre
425-630 6 Avenue Sw,
Calgary, AB T2P 0S8

Got me off 9 assault with a weapon and 2 aggravated assault charges when I was 19. Cost an arm and a leg, north of 20k for a two week trial. Costly mistake but it sure turned my life around.

I know Andre defends a lot of people who he knows are guilty but he gets them off based on technicalities. I saw him a few years ago and told him how the whole incident has changed my life. I think he really appreciated that.

Majestic12
05-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Toma
All lawyers should be round up and shot.

They all double bill, they all take too much injury accident (over 35% now), and they do next to nothing.

The criminal code should be revamped so lawyers are not needed...

quoted for idiocy and ignorance.

Cos
05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by G

Got me off 9 assault with a weapon and 2 aggravated assault charges when I was 19. Cost an arm and a leg, north of 20k for a two week trial. Costly mistake but it sure turned my life around.

holy shit that wasnt 1 incident was it? You owned that crowd of MoFo's

G
05-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Cos

holy shit that wasnt 1 incident was it? You owned that crowd of MoFo's

It was a big brawl at a high school. I think I was the one owned but it sure gave me a wake up call.