PDA

View Full Version : Memory Express

swak
10-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Do not go to the NW location (Dalhousie).

I live near the university so it makes sense to go there first, but the last few times going there, at the service desk, the customer service has been Sh*t.

Me: Can i return this video card (reason...) ?
Her: uhmm, yeah.. 'JIM can you do a physical damage check on this?'
Jim: Its fine, ring it through.
Her: Oh no wait, look at this, isnt that a defect?
Jim: No, thats perfectly fine, just ring it through...
Her: So, when can i get my next break jim?
Jim: i dono, xx, is on break now, you can go after
Her: Yea, im really hungry, its gonna be nice to finally get a break
Jim: yea just ring this guy through...
Her: okay, *types a few things..*
Customer 2 arrives at computer next to me "can i bring my comp. in for repair?
Agent: blah blah..
... now the bitch is watching what these guys are talking about. F***!

(all this happened with me just standing there, trying my best to keep my cool... deal with the customer THEN deal with other shit)

Finally i get rang through, and get the hell out of there.

I went to the NE location on 34th ave, and it was like night and day, people were super friendly and helpful, got me the right products, and helped me get the most of my money (telling me to try xx out then come in for service, saving tons of money, and xx worked)

Cliffs:
-Go to NE memory express, say no to the NW location in Dalhousie.

GQBalla
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
was she hot?

or better question are you extremely ugly?

im JOKING!!

but damn thats okay man. Retail has the worst people ever

Neil4Speed
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't really see what the big deal is? You still got your refund right?

snoop101
10-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

but damn thats okay man. Retail has the worst people ever

No Calgary retail has the worst people ever. My fiance works in retail and she cant believe how many idiots there are and she just moved to this country 8-9 years ago and spoke zero english.

Also people should never EVER be able to text or talk on there cell phones while there working.

hampstor
10-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I just MSN'd this thread to the MemEx NW Store Manager...

Edit: I sent it to the NE Manager too to boost his ego. :bigpimp:

dexlargo
10-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I think you're being a bit hard on the store, I've had good experiences at that location. It even sounds like the manager was trying to help you get your refund quickly, but you came across one unmotivated employee in the store who was screwing it up for you. Hopefully the manager had a word with her after you left.

Tarrantula
10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by snoop101

Also people should never EVER be able to text or talk on there cell phones while there working.

WOA WOA WOA, I can understand your anger.. but dont take my texting away from me.

If you worked in retail, you would know what a saviour it can be. I worked at BB for 2 years, texted all day everyday.. still kept myself as top salesman the whole time.

Texting = Less stress = ????? = Profit

Kobe
10-27-2009, 02:45 PM
My buddy works at a different Memory Express says some of the clients at come on he wants 2 shot them. There is always two sides to the stories...

Obviously he doesn't say that to them :)

Vagabond142
10-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I've never ever had a problem going to the NW location, for retail or for service desk. It sounds like you had a bad experience with one person there, so don't paint the entire store black because of it.

Maybe I've had great luck, or maybe it's because I always chat em up about new and exciting computer stuff (in technical language too, which us geeks love to do!) when it's not busy and they're putting through my transaction, but I've always had a great experience.

Dave at the NW is also a great guy, super intelligent about almost every single tiny computer problem that exists. Also a hoot to chat with while the place is empty :P

EDIT: In fact, I get such great service there, and I mean this, I don't go anywhere else for computer parts. Seriously. I don't order from Tigerdirect or NCIX, I don't go to any other wholesale retailer. MemEx is simply the best store when it comes to computer parts that I want. Call that an endorsement, call it brown nosing, call it whatever you want, they have earned my patronage 100x over.

HyperZell
10-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Gotta chime in here - you got one person who was a little slow, or maybe too casual for your liking, and you're telling everyone to boycott the store? What do you do if you get a raw steak, plant a bomb in the kitchen? Man...

Boat
10-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Yea this thread has no merit whatsoever. It was clearly an isolated incident. I go to that location all the time. No problems.

snoop101
10-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

WOA WOA WOA, I can understand your anger.. but dont take my texting away from me.

If you worked in retail, you would know what a saviour it can be. I worked at BB for 2 years, texted all day everyday.. still kept myself as top salesman the whole time.

Texting = Less stress = ????? = Profit

Ok well I am as guilty as you are as I work all day and mess around on the internet, BUT and a big BUT, I have my own office and if I have a client in my office it all goes off. So if someone walks into BB and wants to drop 5k on a system and theres a kid sitting there texting away on his phone and another kid coming right up to him and asking if he needs help then guess who gets the sale.

If your that stressed out working retail then you need to find another job. You should not be stressed out doing a simple retail position. I worked at A & B sound back in the day and never ever got stressed out. Maybe its just me, but theres a lot more stressful things in life then working at a big box store.

Tarrantula
10-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by snoop101

Ok well I am as guilty as you are as I work all day and mess around on the internet, BUT and a big BUT, I have my own office and if I have a client in my office it all goes off. So if someone walks into BB and wants to drop 5k on a system and theres a kid sitting there texting away on his phone and another kid coming right up to him and asking if he needs help then guess who gets the sale.

If your that stressed out working retail then you need to find another job. You should not be stressed out doing a simple retail position. I worked at A & B sound back in the day and never ever got stressed out. Maybe its just me, but theres a lot more stressful things in life then working at a big box store.

1. You worked at A&B? Which Location? I loved that place!

2. I dont work at BB anymore, but it didnt matter who made the sales because we were non-commission. (which doesnt matter because they wanted us to PUSH service plan anyways)

3. I also am on the internet/texting/email way too much at work, and I also have the freedom of being able to be on it when I want, but I would also repect if there was a client around.

So all in all, we are on the same page I believe. :thumbsup:

I just think that it gets bad when people answer there phones, or tell you to "hang on" while they text someone. If it doesnt interfere with my purchase, then I could care less how much someone texts.

revelations
10-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by swak
Do not go to the NW location (Dalhousie).

I live near the university so it makes sense to go there first, but the last few times going there, at the service desk, the customer service has been Sh*t.

Me: Can i return this video card (reason...) ?
Her: uhmm, yeah.. 'JIM can you do a physical damage check on this?'
Jim: Its fine, ring it through.
Her: Oh no wait, look at this, isnt that a defect?
Jim: No, thats perfectly fine, just ring it through...
Her: So, when can i get my next break jim?
Jim: i dono, xx, is on break now, you can go after
Her: Yea, im really hungry, its gonna be nice to finally get a break
Jim: yea just ring this guy through...
Her: okay, *types a few things..*
Customer 2 arrives at computer next to me "can i bring my comp. in for repair?
Agent: blah blah..
... now the bitch is watching what these guys are talking about. F***!

(all this happened with me just standing there, trying my best to keep my cool... deal with the customer THEN deal with other shit)

Finally i get rang through, and get the hell out of there.

I went to the NE location on 34th ave, and it was like night and day, people were super friendly and helpful, got me the right products, and helped me get the most of my money (telling me to try xx out then come in for service, saving tons of money, and xx worked)

Cliffs:
-Go to NE memory express, say no to the NW location in Dalhousie.

Wait until you get some bad customer service and then come tell us about it. The person might have been a little inconsiderate, but far from making a person want to boycott a store.

snoop101
10-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

1. You worked at A&B? Which Location? I loved that place!

2. I dont work at BB anymore, but it didnt matter who made the sales because we were non-commission. (which doesnt matter because they wanted us to PUSH service plan anyways)

3. I also am on the internet/texting/email way too much at work, and I also have the freedom of being able to be on it when I want, but I would also repect if there was a client around.

So all in all, we are on the same page I believe. :thumbsup:

I just think that it gets bad when people answer there phones, or tell you to "hang on" while they text someone. If it doesnt interfere with my purchase, then I could care less how much someone texts.

I worked at the A & B Sound in Kelowna.

Ya the cashiers do it all the time at the canadian tires down the road.

I could never be a manager here in Calgary. I grew up where you worked your ass off all day to make 10 bucks/hour. I would probably get sued by some parent for beating there kid.

swak
10-27-2009, 03:03 PM
I work in a 4 star hotel downtown as a concierge, been doing this for just under 3 years, and i KNOW customer service.

Yea its this girl that put me over the edge (and since its being forwarded to store managers, i believe her name was valerie or something)... The big guy at sales, and the old guy with glasses (sorry, dont know the names) are great. They REALLY know their stuff, no questions asked.

But these are 2 guys (+ jim, so 3) that i believe do a great job, but when i went to the NE location, i dealt with 4 people, 2 sales clerks, and talked to 2 techs, and everyone was great that i spoke with.

Just from that alone, they stepped up big time in my books, and i wont hesitate driving the extra ~5 min to the NE location to get what i need next time.

HiTempguy1
10-27-2009, 03:32 PM
First impressions, 'nuff said. If I was running a store, I'd be happy for the feedback on a lazy worker. More then enough people out there currently willing to WORK for their pay.

BigDL
10-27-2009, 03:34 PM
The only issue I have with the NW location is that it seems at times that they have less sales people working then when I visit the other locations. This at times leads to longer wait times.

However, I can see that they are hiring more people so hopefully this will fix the problem.

Kavy
10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
First impressions, 'nuff said. If I was running a store, I'd be happy for the feedback on a lazy worker. More then enough people out there currently willing to WORK for their pay.

Perfectly stated.

Whats funny is a few of the people who are dropping the get over it posts are the ones who posted in normans and the gallery's threads chastising them over the experiences of another.

Customers don't see the individual as the reason for the bad experience but label the company. When the employee is out on the floor they are an Ambassador of the company and must act like it, poor service is no excuse no matter if it just happened once or 100 times. These things happen because we make it acceptable.

Enhance
10-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I deal with the NW memory express anytime i need something computer related, I've never had an issue. I will admit that they are a little bit more casual then the other locations, but that suits me just fine.

kenny
10-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Only complaint about MemEx is the fact they have 8 cashiers open, 6 of which are doing nothing because there is no one in line. Over at the service counter, 10 people in line with only 1 guy working the desk.

Thaco
10-27-2009, 04:13 PM
lol, when you experience what this guy has

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/282459/eastside-dodge-sold-me-a-lemon/

then you can complain.

FiveFreshFish
10-27-2009, 04:21 PM
The clerk needs to focus her attention on the customer she is serving, not whine about her break entitlement in front of him.

When an employee's priority is her break time which she publicly announces, she lacks motivation and it's obvious she doesn't want to be there.

benyl
10-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Only complaint about MemEx is the fact they have 8 cashiers open, 6 of which are doing nothing because there is no one in line. Over at the service counter, 10 people in line with only 1 guy working the desk.

:werd:

hampstor
10-27-2009, 04:28 PM
This thread will probably get brought up as an example of 'be careful what you say/do around customers' at one of their morning meetings.

Personally, I rarely have problems at any memx location (other than the occasional joke from a long time employee about "we dont serve your kind"). If you have any issues, address them w/ the store manager right away - the managers there do get shit taken care of...

benyl
10-27-2009, 04:31 PM
^ news travels fast in a connected world...

swak
10-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
If you have any issues, address them w/ the store manager right away - the managers there do get shit taken care of...

Definitely will do.
Its good to know the good managers are out there...
Far too often they just shake it off and say no word to the employees.

Memory Express has always been #1 in my books for comp parts etc.

hampstor
10-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by swak

Definitely will do.
Its good to know the good managers are out there...
Far too often they just shake it off and say no word to the employees.

Memory Express has always been #1 in my books for comp parts etc.

Give the store a call and ask for Ryan - he's one of the store managers there. He knows about this thread. Also, he wants to know who "Jim" is. :rofl:

swak
10-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Give the store a call and ask for Ryan - he's one of the store managers there. He knows about this thread. Also, he wants to know who "Jim" is. :rofl:

hahaha..
I could have sworn thats what she called him, the manager figure. :dunno:

I really can't think of anything that sounds close to 'Jim' either haha..
Sorry, but whoever he is, hes a good guy :D

Vagabond142
10-27-2009, 06:37 PM
I know there's a Joe that works tech, but I think he's south store :o

HyperZell
10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
This thread will probably get brought up as an example of 'be careful what you say/do around customers' at one of their morning meetings.

Personally, I rarely have problems at any memx location (other than the occasional joke from a long time employee about "we dont serve your kind"). If you have any issues, address them w/ the store manager right away - the managers there do get shit taken care of...

Lol, do they say that to you?

7thgenvic
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
This thread backfired pretty damn good! :)

hampstor
10-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Lol, do they say that to you?

yep.. though they I haven't been into a store in somewhere around 6 months so I have no idea if they still would. haha

BigMass
10-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by kenny

:werd:

Here’s a little suggestion for Mem… separate your returns from your tech support. I don’t want to wait in line for 1 hour to return a pair of headphones along with people that have massive computer problems. Either have a separate till for returns only, or let your sales staff up front (which you have plenty of) do returns or exchanges.

Danny Meehan
10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by
No Calgary retail has the worst people ever. My fiance works in retail
hehe

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I was in the NW memory express on Saturday, and there were tons of people in line, everybody was working their asses off except this one guy chilling playing WOW which kinda made me laugh.